Cambridge Deems Twilight Worthy of Analysis

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
Wow, it was a good job everyone came along and misinterpreted this article.
My thoughts exactly. Especially those people who, judging from their statements, seem to be perfectly able literature critics don't even have the fucking ability to read a few lines on this news page.

Hilarious.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
At first I was like "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

But then I read the article, and it actually made sense. We need to figure out why female preteens read this stuff. There has to be something they see in it that we don't.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
scotth266 said:
DrDeath3191 said:
Studying the impact of media on kids is an interesting field of study. I just wish they'd pick a better book than Twilight. Replace that with Artemis Fowl, or the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and we'll be golden.
Someone else read the Bartimaeus Trilogy? Hooray!
Me too. And I got my two friend into it. I'd like to see another book, maybe just a chronicle of some of Bartimaeus adventures. Cause he's an awesome character. But those books would be perfect. I mean, he switches perspective. How many books do that? And studying games would be awesome. Friend of mine managed to write about how videogames teach about narrative for the english exam. He got 25/30, and our teacher thinks that was harsh lol...

Vredesbyrd67

Apr 20, 2009
Now hold on a second.

Twilight is terrible and doesn't deserve to be called literature, this is true. Yet, despite this, it's currently the most popular teenage romance novel and one of the biggest franchises IN THE WORLD. I'd sure as hell like to know how that happened, wouldn't you?

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Cambridge Deems Twilight Worthy of Analysis

Center director Professor Maria Nikolajeva says of the new material: "It's easy to say that these things are just kids' fashions or that they're trash, but I don't believe that's good enough. If what we regard as trash is popular with young people, we need to know why and whether, as researchers and teachers, we can offer them something that addresses the same needs but also deals with these themes in a critical and ethical way."

Source: VG247 [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8500657.stm]

If kids only ate twizzler and skittles would this guy say "okay we're going to change our luch menus to all twizzlers and skittles" "We could just say it's just junk food, but that's the lazy way out, there's a deeper reasoning behind this." No, no there isn't sometimes kids just like this crap, look at the pokemon anime. Hold on all you spider monkies because kids are in for one heck of a ride!

Quiche

Jun 24, 2008
This is a great example of how cultural studies are constantly mis-understood. The usefulness of disciplines like science and math are inherently easy to understand, and have never had to explain themselves to anyone. By contrast, I think the field of cultural studies needs to better explain itself to the public at large. Right now, it's just an obscure branch of humanities with a very small group of practicioners. But it should be more accessible. Especially in an age where we're saturated in media and not thinking about the consequences, we should teach children how to think and read critically. "Why am I addicted to 'Twilight'?" "Why would someone of my background be drawn to 'Twilight'?" "Why was such a book written now, and why did it sell so well?" We should get used to asking, and tentatively answering, these kind of questions as a habit, not just within the confines of a "pretentious" and cloistered academic discipline.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
If what we regard as trash is popular with young people, we need to know why and whether, as researchers and teachers, we can offer them something that addresses the same needs but also deals with these themes in a critical and ethical way.
Well it seems they are trying to figure out why kids love it. I would to if it wasn't so obvious
MR T3D said:
at least almost all the others have appeal to both sexes, this.... this...

THIS IS MADNESS!
Must. Resist. Meme!

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
if they want to research stuff that apeals to kids why twillight? it mostly apeals to the insane!

RandomShinigami

May 29, 2009
It's inherent to human nature to try and understand such calamity as the TwiCult Rise. Their there and we need to find a way to fight them. Cambridge is now their headquarters it seems, for all it's good intentions, Cambridge just doesn't understand the disease like WW2 American Military didn't understand radiation. We don't need to analyze Twilight more than we have, hell, this forum thread has gotten it down to a science, we need to burn the books, get past SMeyer's absurdly protective brother, and make SMeyer denounce the TwiCult. Also, fire works (even in Twilight, so we can mock them as they burn "where is Eddy now"... hehhehehe.....).

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
im dead serious, if i was ever to meet the man who thought of this, i´d snap his neck on the spot, then i´d stuff the bloody thing straight up his rectum.

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
Whad'ya expect? it's always the books that suck most to read that appear on your curriculum. I predict superman 64 will be the first video game to be studied!

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
What's wrong with that? They're looking into why it's popular, they're not saying it's great. They want to know what it is that attracts people to the books and get some kind of an understanding to the psychology behind this.

It's the same as most 'old literature' that was considered trash in it's time. People won't be studying this in hundreds of years time, but you can't deny that it's a huge phenomenon in modern pop-culture.

Or we could just be all snobbish and say 'it's trash' because that's cool and easy, right?

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
And the director is an middle aged woman. Figures.
While the idea of expanding, beyond conventional literature isn't bad, I got the feeling they will probably, screw it up somehow.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
"children's literature"

Wow, that was perenially epic. It was a long time since I've laughed that hard. It's funny because it's true. We're all taking this the wrong way, perhaps they're analysing it as evidence towards how society is slowly morphing into a giant housefly, gorging on the festering shit excreted from talentless hacks who lust for money.

Potential exam questions: "To what extent did the iq average drop upon the release of Twilight?"
"How far would you agree that females familiar with Twilight have degenerated into souless, fashion obsessed, oblivious, obedient, sexist drones?"
"Stephanie Meyer is the Uwe Boll of literature. Discuss."

The best thing to do is ignore Twilight. Stephanie craves attention and money, it's why she allowed the film series to be conceived. I say we organise a public book burning of all the Twilight novels.

Oh wait, they just compared Twilight to Alice in Wonderland, didn't they? Well, it is ironic, how I, as an adult, hate Twilight, but love Alice in Wonderland, a book aimed at children. I suppose Twilight is more juvenile, then.
For more information refer to Kevin Smith at Comic Con.

Jan 23, 2009
ahhhhhhh. hahaha.

It's actually very clever. Dismissing something because it's trash, and saying it's popular only because people are idiots, isn't good enough on an analysis level.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
It's a bloody teen crush romance book with the sub plot that they are vampires, with a ditsy confused girl in the middle of the whole thing...nothing more.

I only know because I was dragged through watching the movies by the missus, bloody snooze fest.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
"It's easy to say that these things are just kids' fashions or that they're trash, but I don't believe that's good enough. If what we regard as trash is popular with young people, we need to know why ...
Because preteen girls ARE FUCKING IDIOTS!. It really is trash. Hey my dog likes to drink bleach, bleach must be good because he likes it!