Can an american explain me their view on their military?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Truth Cake said:
Low Key said:
Tell that to the martial artists who learn animal styles. We get a lot of our traits from animals in the wild, and we are in fact animals ourselves. We just happen to be the most intelligent of them.
So... what does martial arts have to do with the military? You kinda lost me in that transition...

So if humans are animals just the same, then, say, a mouse's life and existence should be worth the same as any humans? Or are humans better than common animals in everything EXCEPT fighting wars? Considering I have yet to see lions declare war on eagles for stealing their prey or whatever, I think animals make more logical sense by being much simpler.
I'm just saying us as humans as a whole have learned a lot from wild animals. From fighting styles to what plants are safe to eat to how to hunt in packs until we learned it was more efficient raise cattle and farm crops than burn all of our energy chasing down game.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
StarCecil said:
One would hope. But it's not even required for a student to say it.

Of course, I would definitely fight for a student's right not to say it.
If you're living in America and you're second guessing this guy ^, you should get your ass kicked.

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
I am an American and here is how I see the modern millitary in this country.

When World War II started, our country completely overhauled itself to make itself into a fighting nation. All the men went to war, and all the women went to work in the nation's factories which were all converted to make weapons and supplies for battle. After World War II was finished we had this giant millitary industrial complex left over. Were talking about an enoumous amount of jobs and government money being put into the millitary.

It's really hard to just take all of that away; there are a lot of people making a living off this now. So since the end of World War II politicians and buisnessmen who benifit from the millitary industrial complex have been working really hard to justify its existence. That's why we need to have big scary enemies like the former Soviet Union and modern day terrorists. These threats are exaggerated so that America can have something to spend all the millitary money fighting.

Why do you think we have had so many questionable wars in the past 60 years? Korean War? Vietnam War? How did fighting communism in random isolated countries on the other side of the world help us? Why did we invade Iraq after al-Quaeda attacked us? Iraq had absolutely no connection to the September 11th attacks, and anyways why did we invade entire countries to fight a terrorist group that had less than 1,000 members?

The answer is that a lot of people need to get paid, and a lot of politicians want to bring millitary jobs into their districts. There is no conspiracy -- nobody is really the bad guy here... The reality is that we just built this giant millitary machine witout realizing that it would be almost impossible to take down after we no longer needed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NSBBRtY

Phaerim

Sep 15, 2010
I would like to thank most of you for an intresting read. You learn something new everyday, and most reads has certainly helped me understand your viewpoints.

I still think you should be careful so that your appreciation does not turn into blind devotion. But nevertheless from a historical and cultural viewpoint I can certainly understand how you feel.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
lostzombies.com said:
Skizle said:
Most soldiers are just following orders. Some may not be willing to do, however they will because if they dont a long prison sentence awaits them
Ever read about the Nuremberg trials?
a little bit, some Nazi soldiers are still uncounted for, but also if they didnt do what they had to it was a bullet to the head instead of imprisonment or worse a death camp

zedel

Sep 16, 2010
I consider the military to be a cult. While I can respect those that have fought to maintain freedom at a personal loss, I cannot respect the institution behind them. My grandpa fought in a couple wars and it's definitely affected his disposition. I respect that he fought because he thought he was protecting something precious, but I wish he hadn't. To me, it's like hacking into the FBI. If you do it, you are pretty stupid, but I respect that you did it anyway. >.< Not sure if that makes sense. Also, I am "officially" an american, but I think america is kind of a joke.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
I stopped reading at a certain point, so someone might have mentioned this, but...Vietnam.

When the soldiers came back, many were vilified. Literally spit upon, by hippies and the like. Mostly spoiled college kids. My father was in Vietnam, and he told me about this, and it was also documented that this happened.

Simply put, people learned the terrible things that the soldiers went through over there, and then to come home, only to be harassed, it was truly awful. Then consider that the soldiers were simply doing their jobs that many were forced into(conscription), people started to do everything they could to make up for it.

I did not explain this very well, so let me summarize it:

US soldiers went to Vietnam, went through absolute shit over there, came home and went through more absolute shit here from their fellow Americans. They also were not adequately supported by the government, in areas of health care and what have you.

Due to all this, if you are opposed to any war you MUST praise the fighting men and woman, or risk being compared to the people who treated returning Vietnam vets so poorly. Obviously if you support the war, you have to praise the soldiers who make it possible.

Now we would honor our soldiers regardless, but this is the main reason we are so gung ho for the modern soldier, it was truly a horrific thing the Vietnam vets went through.

UrbanCohort

Nov 30, 2009
Truth Cake said:
*snip*
...New York Patrick, you may want to re-read your own post there, in the beginning of the third paragraph you said humans are superior, and then later you say we're no better and then right in the same paragraph you say we are better again? You seem to be contradicting yourself there...
Actually, if you read carefully, you'll find that he AMENDED his statement from being "better" to being "more than" animals, "for better or worse" - a very subtle distinction but I think it's an important one...Probably meaning that we can create and destroy (or do good/evil) beyond the capacity of any animal...though you'll have to ask him if he means that exactly.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Its held pretty romanticly. Kind of a "look strong men, big guns, boom!" kind of thing to on the History and Discovery channel. No one really mentions how we have military bases in almost every country.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
Qtoy said:
Just out of curiousity, what's the human parallel for elephants declaring war on mosquitoes? Especially since those aren't the same sapient being.
And no. I understood your point, I just kinda dodged it in my response by mistake.

All the wars I can think of were declared for the interests of the group. Let's say that "A-Land" has a "MacGuffin" that helps drive a lot "B-Land" industries. "A-Land" eventually decides it's not in its best interest to continue the MacGuffin trade, so they cut off trade of the MacGuffins. This deprives "B-Land" of the MacGuffin, and the group begins a descent into poverty.
Poverty is bad and tends to hurt people. This results in "B-Land" exploring different ways of getting the MacGuffins.
It's obvious to "B-Land" that getting the MacGuffins would be made easiest by invading "A-Land". Moral qualms stop this, so they stop.

Eventually, "A-Land" gives reason for "B-Land" to attack them through one way or another. This allows "B-Land" to attack while having a hidden ulterior motive for attacking.

Now, you may be thinking that as I typed that, I completely lost my train of thought and just made an analogy and hoped that something would come out of it. If you thought that, you are totally correct. But, it worked. There is something.

Humans have morals. Animals (to the best of my knowledge) lack sapience and don't have morals. Morals hold humans back and keep humans from lashing out at others for the smallest wrongings. These morals also keep the moderate from allowing everyone from attacking due to lack of support.

I know this is a weak argument, but I did the best I could while half-asleep and a quarter zoned out.

Wow. I'm way off the original topic.
Ugh... if it helps you, then tell me when elephants declare war on elephants- it was just an example of different peoples fighting each other, not many people can differentiate the many different elephant races, nationalities and cultures (see what I mean?)

B-land attacking A-land in that situation seems fine to me, it's for the survival of the people and is thus justified; but that's not my problem, my problem is killing over smaller things like gold- there HAVE been wars either entirely over gold or it was a good part, and how exactly does gold assist humans? What benefit does gold have other than 'it's shiny and rare'?

Humans have morals, yes, so shouldn't that generally deter us from having a full-time army that always needs to be defending us from humans with little to no morals from invading us- in other words, shouldn't having morals actually NOT make us raise giant armies and kill each other?

Bleh, I'm tired of arguing with so many people so ima stop responding to quotes now, quote me and argue further if you like, because I'm not going to convince you otherwise and you aren't going to convince me.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Its because of the goverment and theres a lot of reasons, short version, is because their keeping terrorists out of my lawn and keeping freedom free.

Josue Rodriguez

Jan 4, 2011
The military can be a good thing (such as in WW2 and shit) but I am not a fan at how its being used right now. There's no need for military men TO DIE FOR A DUMB ASS REASON. I have been to the middle east and have seen how the military has even been making things worse. Its not the military I have problem with, it's the asshole giving orders. Well maybe if the military stood up once in a while, but I doubt they'd have the soul to something like that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Actually, speaking as a Pittsburghian (American citizen of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), I am largely indifferent of our military. It's there, but I am not in mighty approval or disapproval of it. I'll crack some jokes, but I've got nothing personal against 'em.

Anyway, I'm surprised you never hear anything negative. Opinions of own's own military SHOULD be like a bell curve on a statistical chart.

Shotgunjack1880

Feb 12, 2010
In all honesty you have to go back and look at the history of our country. We had to fight for independence a few times. Sorry but the U.K. was kind of being a dick a few hundred years back, twice.

We are the protectors, the sheepdog of our nation. http://www.mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html MUST READ.

It's the respect you have for the few willing to put their lives on the line for everyone else. Not everyone is capable of defending themselves, so we must protect the weak and the innocent, even if we have to pay that price in blood, our or theirs (preferably theirs).

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Matt Oliver said:
a. its Horrah, just a way to say sure,fine,good for you, etc, and we americans hold our military in the highest standard, aside from a few nutjobs aka Westboro Baptist Church.
We are thankful that they have risked their lives to keep us safe. We destroy anyone who says shit about the armed forces! They are war heroes each and every single one of them.
This may have already been pointed out, I haven't read all of the posts, but I'm fairly positive that the Marine warcry is 'Oorah!' and the Army warcry is 'Hoo-ah'. I may be mistaken about that and if I am I will readily admit wrongness.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
Low Key said:
I'm just saying us as humans as a whole have learned a lot from wild animals. From fighting styles to what plants are safe to eat to how to hunt in packs until we learned it was more efficient raise cattle and farm crops than burn all of our energy chasing down game.
Humans learned all that by watching the animals do what they do to survive- finding safe foods to eat and such is all fine and good, but when that knowledge is used to kill one's fellow man, it's application is unetical.

Like I said in my last post, I'm not going to respond to any more quotes other than the ones I have since I need sleep- I doubt I convinced you otherwise of your militaristic beliefs, and you haven't convinced me, so good day, sir.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
Truth Cake said:
shouldn't having morals actually NOT make us raise giant armies and kill each other?
Stopped reading here. Go walk down a dark alley with your purse and high morals but leave your gun behind.