Capcom Addresses Deep Down Sexism Controversy

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Mrmbe said:
This is just activism for activism's sake. You don't have a female lead - sexist! You have a female lead but it's a bit on the butch/*****/whatever side - sexist! You have something I take no interest in but I also don't benefit from in any way - oh boy let's see - sexist! Me, me, me, me, hey everyone this one is , a god damn , now give me validation/attention/money to keep spouting the at people you don't know or would never care to qualify as anything close to a . If you don't give me more of me mine and all mine to me you must be , yeah a dirty !
Missing the point so hard it hurts. There's nothing at all wrong with a male protagonist. However, when you've widened the field enough to have TWELVE playable characters, and haven't thought to make a single one female, it deserves at least a bit of skepticism. THAT is what the complaints were about. But no, continue your own knee-jerking at anyone wanting a hint of representation in the current games industry.

As this was a miscommunication and there's only one main character, this really should be a non-issue.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
BigTuk said:
omega 616 said:
I wouldn't say this is sexism, there are loads of games where you just play as a guy.

I think it is more sexist to have a female side kick that is nothing but a fan service love interest, than to just be a sausage fest.

I think Dragons crown is a much bigger offender of sexism than this and people gloss over Dragons crown sexism like it's nothing. Although I seem to be in the minority when opinions on what is and isn't sexism ... I think Bayonnetta and lollipop chainsaw are offenders but loads of people think they are empowering.
FOr the last time Dragon's Crown was parody. All the characters were tropes. It was deliberately done.
And you can say that strippers with massive implants are just parodies but when it's all said and done they are still ridiculously dressed with abnormally large features that appease men folk.

If it looks like a horse and acts like a horse, don't call it a zebra.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Personally I found The Hobbit sexist because there wasn't a female hobbit accompanying Bilbo. I demand a re-write.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:
Sounds like it was the result of a communication derp, nothing else. Frankly I say we just move on from this one.
It'd be nice if companies would stop saying stupid things.

Barring that, there's not much else to say, though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BigTuk said:
FOr the last time Dragon's Crown was parody. All the characters were tropes. It was deliberately done.
So it was intentionally sexist instead of unintentionally.

I wish apologists would make up their minds as to whether it's sexist because it's a parody or an homage.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
It'd be nice if companies would stop saying stupid things.
And I would like to be able to do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvIu7s-vIM but that won't ever happen either :(

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Communication derp occured.

On the subject of "Is it sexist to write a game around a male protagonist?"

No it isn't. But there's an awful lot of games written around a male protagonist.
So it's just, generic.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
So what do you guys think? Is it "sexist" to not include a female playable character because of the game's plot?
Yes, slightly. Just enough to warrent a disappointed sigh, but not much more.

If we lived in an equal world, then it wouldn't be, but we don't. We live in a world where a list of characters is a sausagefest and what women are there are usually wearing a chainmail bikini (metaphorical if not literal). Any time a company chooses a plot centred around a man, it contributes to perpetuate that sausagefest and is therefore sexist.

I also have a hard time believing that a plot MUST have a male character. 90% of a plot is going to have no relation to the characters gender, the vast majority of any reworking would just be the personality of the main character to avoid them being just a "guy with breasts". Romance is not an excuse, unless you consider homophobia to be a valid reason.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
No. It's not sexist. It's the writer creating the story the writer wanted to create, centered upon the character around which that writer wanted to center that story.

It would have been fine if the writer wanted to create a story centered around a female character. It might well have been a different story, and that's okay, too.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Wow. So radical feminism is starting to take hold in video games now? A trash article filled with hypocritical intolerance and snark all ending with a "I do not want you to discuss this because I know how reactionary and ridiculous this is and I don't want other people to see the guaranteed discourse" right at the bottom in bold. Honestly this is the kind of stuff I would fire people for if I ran a website.

NOT having female characters is not sexist by itself. Not having them because of the plot is even less so. What if we find out literally all other people, including women, in the game are dead aside from this one group? Its too early to call sexism regardless. As far as the writer of this article goes pretty much everything I could think to say has been said here so enjoy. http://www.vg247.com/forum/topic/dont-antagonize-people-and-disallow-comments/

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Game Journalist/blogger - "Hey I see you are design the main character."

Game Creator - "Yeah, he is this guy from near future who get send in a medieval period as a medieval knight by this really cool machine and all. I'm also writing a story for his conflict against this other guy who also goes back in time with another machine, and there is this power play between the two, like two oposites and all. Really like this kind of stories."

"I see... and who is the female lead?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Can't we play as a woman?"

"Well, I did not actually consider-"

"Oh, you sexist moron!"

------

Sure,there are games created with the sole purpose of pandering to male audiences only, but that doesn't make it right to just jump to the necks of every freaking game that lacks a female playable character.

Blinkmage

Apr 27, 2013
Callate said:
No. It's not sexist. It's the writer creating the story the writer wanted to create, centered upon the character around which that writer wanted to center that story.

It would have been fine if the writer wanted to create a story centered around a female character. It might well have been a different story, and that's okay, too.
My thoughts exactly. Even if it was twelve characters and they were all male because of the story, that would still be fine. And before anyone says 'well there's no possible reason a story should have all male characters', if you were writing a piece of historical fiction there are quite a few settings where having a female character would not make sense. A game about a group of knights, if it's being historically accurate, probably isn't going to have a female knight playable.

I'm not saying there isn't sexism in the games industry, because there is, but this really is a case of calling it where it isn't there. It's okay for a game to have an all male playable cast, just like it's okay for game to have an all female playable cast. As long as it fits the story, and the rest of the game isn't some crazy rant about how females are evil and that's why they aren't in it, it's not sexist.