Character you love that everyone else hates

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I have two.

One is Lightning from FFXIII. You can call her a "Cloud clone" all you want, but I don't care since I think she's pretty awesome. The minute she punched Snow was the minute I liked her, and I think people hate on her waaaaay too much.

The second is Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2. Her lines of dialogue have made me laugh and the whole "tea party" mission was probably one of my favorites since it was so absurd, and a little messed up.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Urgghh. Naruto.

Guilty guilty pleasure. And I mean I like him in the sense that I just like what kind of character/person he is not the millions who have to argue about which girl or guy he's supposed to bang at the end of the story.

Yeah. I haven't read or watch Naruto in a while but I'm aware alot of the fans hate him in favor of the rest of the colourful cast. Fair enough but my first bit of interest in the show was captured by Naruto himself and I am a bit of a stubborn loyalist.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I have two.

One is Lightning from FFXIII. You can call her a "Cloud clone" all you want, but I don't care since I think she's pretty awesome. The minute she punched Snow was the minute I liked her, and I think people hate on her waaaaay too much.

The second is Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2. Her lines of dialogue have made me laugh and the whole "tea party" mission was probably one of my favorites since it was so absurd, and a little messed up.
I don't "love" Lightning, but I don't get all the hate for her. The game was bad, sure, but there are much worse characters in that game (Vanille and Hope, for starters). In fact, Lighting had to be my second favorite character in that game (first was Sazh). And on your second point.... people hate Tiny Tina?! WHAT?!!?! No, Seriously, I've never met another person who didn't like her but did like Borderlands 2 in general. Is she really hated enough that more that 2 people have claimed it in this topic so far?

For myself, I'm going to go with Michaiah in FE10. Sure, Ike was better in general, and the Dawn Brigade joins late in the game rather underleveled, sure, but having long been a fan of mages in Fire Emblem, I was happy to see a mage general/hero/noble/lord/whatever. Not to mention that she is actually a top-class unit in her field, unlike some other Lord characters (I'm looking at you, Eliwood and Roy).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
alfinchkid said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I have two.

I don't "love" Lightning, but I don't get all the hate for her. The game was bad, sure, but there are much worse characters in that game (Vanille and Hope, for starters). In fact, Lighting had to be my second favorite character in that game (first was Sazh). And on your second point.... people hate Tiny Tina?! WHAT?!!?! No, Seriously, I've never met another person who didn't like her but did like Borderlands 2 in general. Is she really hated enough that more that 2 people have claimed it in this topic so far?
I would say Lightning is one of my favorite characters from the game with Fang and Sazh being up there too. Vanille did annoy me too, but not as much as Hope (I HATE that kid), and she was a damn good Ravenger.

With Tiny Tina, I've talked to a few people that found her to be annoying and obnoxious. I think some people just find her dialogue to be over the top to where it's not funny, but I don't really know. I think all the characters in BL2 are well written and fun to encounter so that whole argument of Tiny Tina being hated and whatnot is long on me. :/

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
lacktheknack said:
The_Lost_King said:
lacktheknack said:
Ashley Williams was awesome, yet everyone talks with great glee about how they let her die. WHY?
because she is boring and Bioware is incompetent at writing good human characters in Mass Effect(James Vega was pretty cool though).

hmmmm... That is a hard one, I will just go with James Vega. I don't love him, but I like him and think that people should actually try to get to know him rather than immediately writing him off because he is buff and tan. James was actually the only human I liked in Mass Effect(well Miranda was alright but isn't as good as Garrus or Grunt, then again neither is Vega, so James is my favorite hummie in Mass Effect).
People call her "boring", and then cite Kaiden as a better character.

Thus, I no longer put stock in the idea that "she's boring".

It's also not adequate explanation as to why people were genuinely excited to bump her off.
Kaidan is boring too. What more do you wantthat's why people don't like her, she is not interesting. She is not a compelling character. Garrus and Wrex are cooler and Liara is hotter, thus leaving her in the dust. Happy?

Plus Kaidan may just be the lesser of the two evils. I don't give a shit about either of them. Frankly it wouldn't have bothered me if they had both died. Now Garrus, Wrex, Tali or Liara, I would have been sad/mad.

Tycon

Aug 21, 2012
Bubsy the bobcat! I think of him as more of a troll than a wanabe mascot
*Edit* He's just too much awesome to contain, what could possibly go wrong?

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
Nathan Drake from Uncharted gets a ton of flack, but I really like him.

From Mass Effect, Ashley Williams is one of my favorite characters, and one of the best examples of a strong independent female character. It's a shame she got sidelined in ME2.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Jar Jar Binks...That's right...I said it. He never bothered me, and the internet seems to determined to roast him over a fire. I get that he has some problematic aspects, but as a whole I enjoyed his role in TPM.

Blazingdragoon04 said:
Kirby (specifically in Smash Brothers)

He gets a lot of flak for being really "kiddy" and his games being too easy, but they are among some of the most fun games I've ever played in my 20 years of gaming. Great stress relievers.

And my friends HATE when I play him in any smash bros game. The first game it was because he was a bit overpowered.

Then in Melee he's considered terrible, but I just fly around the arena eating whoever I know will give me the coolest looking hat (pro tip, its Ganondorf.)

Then in Brawl it's a combination of the two. He's really good in brawl, and if anyone is playing snake they will immediately be eaten so I can rock my awesome manly beard on my adorable little ball of pink fluff.
That's funny, because in my environment, Kirby is one of the most popular characters of Brawl.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
LOVE Rita from Tales of Vesperia because she rounds out the group very well. She kind of an ass, but she's young.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Blazingdragoon04 said:

He gets a lot of flak for being really "kiddy" and his games being too easy, but they are among some of the most fun games I've ever played in my 20 years of gaming. Great stress relievers.

And my friends HATE when I play him in any smash bros game. The first game it was because he was a bit overpowered.

Then in Melee he's considered terrible, but I just fly around the arena eating whoever I know will give me the coolest looking hat (pro tip, its Ganondorf.)

Then in Brawl it's a combination of the two. He's really good in brawl, and if anyone is playing snake they will immediately be eaten so I can rock my awesome manly beard on my adorable little ball of pink fluff.
People who say that Kirby's games are too easy have obviously never faced Dreamland 2's final boss.

Holy fucking shit.

But yeah, I love Kirby as well. I've recently played through both the Dream Collection and Return to Dreamland with my nephews. Kirby just seems to have that special something that sets him apart from everyone else. It's kinda hard to describe.

Distazo

Feb 25, 2009
Na'vi from LOZ OOT. In replays of the game I find her as grating and annoying as every sane person in the known universe, however, on the original play through in my youth, I found her to be quite helpful and beneficial to the game. It was my first real gaming experience so I may have been blinded by ignorance but simultaneously it did happen.

Also Slippy, for much the same reasons.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Jar Jar Binks... HA! As if. No, seriously, Yagami Light from Death Note. I don't know if he's a widely-hated character, but I know he's not particularly liked either. I wouldn't say I love him, but there are certain traits of his personality that I can relate to and understand on a human level. The fact that he's so flawed and his whole journey as a character in the anime: starting-out all bright-eyed and hopeful, riding on his moral high horse, opposing convention and so on in the name of what he believes to be the ultimate good, until he crosses the line and slowly starts to corrupt himself, without even knowing it... It resonates so much with people in general, with humanity. That's why I like him, and I especially like his conviction and devotion to due process; his disciplined, professional attitude, too.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
I was fond of Connor in ACIII, but apparently the general consensus was that he came off as douchey. I didn't feel that vibe.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Cersei Lannister (Song of Fire and Ice)
How the hell do you like Cersei?!

She is a complete and total ***** who thing she is so strong and clever when she isn't. She deserved to die in that prison, not to walk free because everyone got to saw her naked.

The Towel Boy said:
Loved Vaas from Farcry 3 along with Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2.
Except everyone loved them as villains. Didn't they?

Vaas was the best villain in videogame history. I mean he was cool, but when he said, "Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?" He earned to spot right then and there. Also Handsom Jack was funny and a good villain. OOOOOOOh Butt Stalion!!!
Blazingdragoon04 said:

I mostly hated him because of his special attackk in Brawl. That pissed me off to no end. I don't hate him(or her?) though.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
TizzytheTormentor said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Honestly, I think most of the hate comes from her character not being very interesting.

She is a badass, she does all the cool stunts, has good lines and punches Snows face (twice) but aside from her being kind of a mother figure to Hope (an annoying character) her character wasn't very engaging.
That's fair.

She's not the most relatable or likable character in the game. To be fair though, she was a child soldier and had a ton of responsibilities while growing up, so I don't expect her to be the most warmest character ever.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
gamernerdtg2 said:
LOVE Rita from Tales of Vesperia because she rounds out the group very well. She kind of an ass, but she's young.
I was surprised to see lot's of people hate her, I thought she was hilarious! Her interactions with the party are among the best (next to Raven of course)

OT: I will say Karol from Tales of Vesperia, yeah, he is the tag-along kid but I liked him.
I'm just as surprised as you about Rita,one of my favorite character from that game. As for Karol,while he did get on my tits during the second act,he goes through enough development that I can't hate the guy.

OT: Fuuka Yamagishi, yeah she does have kinda of a captain obvious streak but so did most of thee support characters in P3/4. Honestly I liked her voice actress and was never annoyed by her line repetition. Plus she's dead useful and is a better main support than Rise with a cooler looking persona.