Check out The Escapist's Updated Layout!

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
Something's missing from the top of the page: where's the profile logout button?
Hover over your name at the top right of the screen - logout is on the bottom, (assuming that's what you mean). Otherwise, I have no idea what you could mean. Invisible mode?

Also, I retract my previous comment. Just saw you can sorta change the background colors via the new options thingymahbobber, (or at least new to me), so this update gets my stamp of approval. I really wish you could change the real forum colors to something a little less blinding, but this should reduce eyesore at least a little bit.

Webb Myers

May 17, 2010
The "navigation bar" is a little too sensitive. I have concentrate to get my mouse from my browser's nav bar down to the content without changing tabs.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Love it. Way better then the last update a few months ago! Not as clunky and looks beautiful. Good job! ^^

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
It looks nice... But quit changing things! It took me months to get used to the last update, and I doubt this one will be any different.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Much nicer than the last change, but still a bit busy overall.

I definitely appreciate the drop menus being, um, dropped. Those things were annoying.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
kyosai7 said:
So, on the main page, I have a giant gray block on the top of the site, before the actual Escapist site starts, and I have to scroll down to really see the page. Anyone else have this problem? I'm in Windows 7 64 bit using Chrome.

EDIT: This is what I mean.

That's because you're using adblock. The grey block is where the ads go. Though, strangely, they never fill it up, so you always get this ugly white-on-gray nonsense at the top of the page.

My concern is that the "latest threads" page is no longer linked to on the homepage, and when I do go to it, I get a bunch of code instead of the usual layout.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
ultrachicken said:
kyosai7 said:
So, on the main page, I have a giant gray block on the top of the site, before the actual Escapist site starts, and I have to scroll down to really see the page. Anyone else have this problem? I'm in Windows 7 64 bit using Chrome.

That's because you're using adblock. The grey block is where the ads go. Though, strangely, they never fill it up, so you always get this ugly white-on-gray nonsense at the top of the page.

My concern is that the "latest threads" page is no longer linked to on the homepage, and when I do go to it, I get a bunch of code instead of the usual layout.
Ahh okay, thanks! I wonder how I would go about enabling banner ads to support the site, while keeping ads before videos, and pop ups blocked...

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
kyosai7 said:
ultrachicken said:
kyosai7 said:

Ahh okay, thanks! I wonder how I would go about enabling banner ads to support the site, while keeping ads before videos, and pop ups blocked...
I've never seen a pop-up on this site, and I haven't seen any ads before videos in a while. Though maybe I'm mistaken.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Whatever happened to the feature articles? They used to be the main thrust of this site, 4 or 5 per week, and are now relegated to being hidden knee-deep in menus. Something other such sites never had. A quick glance shows we're lucky to get one per month these days.

I find it a shame. An article can be read on a bus or train or whilst on a coffee break, a video generally cannot.

Redworld13

Jul 27, 2010
Wow, Nice to hear people postive about the new layout. It does look nice though, kudos to the designer!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Still too much white, looks incomplete, and I don't like the layout of the drop down menu under my avatar. Maybe put lines underneath each part so it's more clear.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Why do you people keep working backwards. Your 08 design was perfect. Every design since has varied from tolerable, to bad, with the best once since then being the second redesign with all the features in a neat little line on the lower-right.
And you keep changing it as soon as we get used to dealing with it.
I notice that among all the redesigns the site is still slow.
Maybe stop putting your money into site design, and put some into faster servers?
Captcha: change yourself
No, I won't change myself, why meddle with perfection?

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Looks great, however there is a buttload of white space above the header...means instant scrolling to read content.

Also..any chance of a responsive implementation? The escapist has always been a ***** to read on a phone.

An example of it being done right [http://www.smashingmagazine.com/]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I like most of the redesign. Two things I'd like to ask, though...

1. My message box has had all the notifications shrunk in size (like it's a smaller font, though the rest of the page in unchanged), making it hard to tell which messages are new. This is without me changing any settings. Is this normal?

2. One of my biggest complaints with the old redesign was the brightness of the sidebars. We were allowed to change that, and now we have more options. Is there a way to darken the main panel? My eyes are very sensitive and I hate staring at white or whitish screens if I can avoid it. I looked at the options and saw nothing like that, but it'd be awesome.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
God, I finally became acclimated to the last layout overhaul and they go and change it again.

Pick a design and stick with it. No more of these overhaul shenanigans.

More importantly: Where the hell did the Required Reading tab go? That feed was awesome.

Stefan Rogen

The Hammer is my Penis
Apr 25, 2011
Nasrin said:
Stefan Rogen said:
Could you please make a text only version of the page, linking to the content? Those of us, who actually can read don`t need that fancy pictures. And I am actually dead serious about this.
Are you familiar with our RSS feed?

You can also get to it with this link.

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?
It is. Thank you, I love it.