Check out The Escapist's Updated Layout!

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I've been using this layout for a while now as a pub club member, I love it so much better than the previous version. So much faster to find new news and features.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
The_Lost_King said:
This layout fucking sucks! I can't find Miracle of Sound! Change it back.
Miracle of Sound should still be listed on our videos page. There hasn't been an episode posted for this week yet, so it makes sense that last week's video would no longer be "latest" news.

Could you elaborate a bit more so I'm able to fully understand your grievance?

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Nasrin said:
The_Lost_King said:
This layout fucking sucks! I can't find Miracle of Sound! Change it back.
Miracle of Sound should still be listed on our videos page. There hasn't been an episode posted for this week yet, so it makes sense that last week's video would no longer be "latest" news.

Could you elaborate a bit more so I'm able to fully understand your grievance?
well in the old layout I liked how when I moused over videos a drop down menu showed every video series so that if I decided to watch some old Zero punctuation on let's say saturday I could. If I wanted to watch Miracle of Sound a week after a new video I could in one simple click rather than having to click on all then find miracle of sound and then being abel to watcch. How come the forum menu still get's a drop down but no one else does? If you could add the drop down menus back I would be ok with the new look.

Stefan Rogen

The Hammer is my Penis
Apr 25, 2011
As I elaborated in a previous mail, total crap. Now you even took away the possibility to revert to the old (meaning new and crap compared to the design before, but still better than this) design. Why do you keep changing things? Change is bad. Old people like me can`t keep up. Leave things as they are. You youngsters with your funny ideas and strange behaviour. I just want to see a video or two and can`t find them. Could you please make a text only version of the page, linking to the content? Those of us, who actually can read don`t need that fancy pictures. And I am actually dead serious about this. Don`t impose that bullshit gui on people who don`t want to spent ages here only to watch a few vids a week.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Stefan Rogen said:
Could you please make a text only version of the page, linking to the content? Those of us, who actually can read don`t need that fancy pictures. And I am actually dead serious about this.
Are you familiar with our RSS feed?

There's a button for it to the right of our logo on the front page, here:

You can also get to it with this link.

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
It looks nice, it does.

Is the front of the home page, the only area where you can see the latest forum posts? Because if not, I could probably use a hand finding the other link to them...

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Like it mostly, but the forum captcha making me type "tuna fish" really ought to go :)
I can't think of another forum that makes me type a captcha for non-guest posting.

Otherwise, the news layout showing amount of comments (aka the controversyometer rating of the news article) is great, since I wanted that but didn't post it. Apparently other people wanted it and posted it up.

Finally, if there is a way to save state of news features position, that would be great. I like to click an article, go back, and read another starting from the last one. Issue is, it will always reset to the most recent news article per refresh.

What I'd like is that when going through the left column news features, clicking read more, it saves a position ID. If I am 3 "read mores" into the news features, then I have to scroll back there every page flip.

Of course this can all be remedied by tabbed browsing, but since we all want to optimize the server side of the presentation, I bring this to your attention.

EDIT: And miracle of sound guy- really? You couldn't find it? Ok let me walk you through a new invention from those computer engineer folks: they call it a "scroller-bar-doohicky" what you do with it is click it and move your hand down, don't forget to keep the button clicked! On those new fangled mouses with the wheel, get a good hold of it and flick it toward you as if you were scratching an itch. See that? Now you see Miracle of Sound and all the other video features! With a convenient calender showing when the new ones air! It's brilliant!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't like it to be perfectly honest. I think it looks too much like a jumbled mess and that's even on my big TV screen, I'd hate to think what it looks like on a smaller monitor at a lower resolution. I have to wonder, did anyone actually test this layout before implementing it?

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
I found a problem. a very big problem. I can't find the page that shows me all the Zero Punctuation episodes. Or the one for Loading ready run.

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
As a person who only ever uses a 15.4" laptop, when I went to the site this morning, my first thought was that I must have pressed ctrl+++++ accidentally.

The top bar takes up just about the whole browser and even if i zoom out the text shrinks and the borders get huge

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Getting rid of the "Xbox | PlayStation | PC" whatever nonsense was a good move. Like I said when you implemented it, it made the Escapist look too much like other generic video game hobbyist sites. And the way each menu on the navbar is squeezed into the narrower and narrower space is clever. But all in all I'd have to say I'm not a fan of horizontal hover menus. It's poor interface design. Here's an article that explains it better than I can. [http://uxmovement.com/navigation/why-hover-menus-do-users-more-harm-than-good/]

Also good to see the forums being assimilated into the overall style with the fonts and all, but the buttons and thick blue anchor bars with the diagonal stripes still need to be replaced.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Solo-Wing said:
I found a problem. a very big problem. I can't find the page that shows me all the Zero Punctuation episodes. Or the one for Loading ready run.
They should each have dedicated pages listed in our video series gallery. You can get to them through the nav bar by going to videos > all videos > zero punctuation/ loading ready run. Additionally the latest of each series is linked to in our series calendar located at the bottom center of the home page.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
ThyNameIsMud said:
Solo-Wing said:
They should each have dedicated pages listed in our video series gallery. You can get to them through the nav bar by going to videos > all videos > zero punctuation/ loading ready run. Additionally the latest of each series is linked to in our series calendar located at the bottom center of the home page.
Ehhh This layout adds a little too much work for some stuff, and is clustered...

Also I do not like change.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
So, on the main page, I have a giant gray block on the top of the site, before the actual Escapist site starts, and I have to scroll down to really see the page. Anyone else have this problem? I'm in Windows 7 64 bit using Chrome.

EDIT: This is what I mean.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
It looks fine. Please don't change anything else so I can get used to the site as it is. At least you guys didn't change the site into a snow-blinding eyesore like you did last time.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
After using it for the last couple of days I have to admit that I really like the new Escapist design. I also like the weekly video schedule.