Chinese “Weather Balloon” Enters US Air Space

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
This is a cool twist, if it's not just another Chinese obfuscation.

I have to say, as someone not into all this military stuff, I'm surprised how much work and planning seems to be involved in popping balloons.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Asked whether he had ruled out extraterrestrials, VanHerck said: “I’ll let the intel community and the counterintelligence community figure that out. I haven’t ruled out anything.”
Yeah. YEAH !!!! Don't rule it out !!

The high-altitude unidentified object, described as an “octagonal structure”...
We've just started a war with the Oktogons. THIS IS AWESOME !!

...with strings attached to it
It's the proof ! Flying saucers always have strings attached to them ! Ed Wood had warned us !

Reactions: Kwak and Dalisclock

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I gave you a list of questionable assumptions that you are making that make your 100% confidence a laugh and a half.
Well, no, not really; you gave a handful of alternative possibilities, each of which was either laughably naive or breaking credibility altogether.

You would give 100% certainty that the US is involved in spying any day of the week, and would treat any sort of "well maybe it was just a massive accident or they didn't know" handwringing with the contempt it deserves.

Edit: if it helps, I'll say 98% sure, with 2% reserved for the possibility it blew 7,000 miles off course and the officials monitoring it didn't have the phone number for the officials who needed to know.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yes really. You're free to go back and check.
I directly addressed every one of the (often very funny) alternative possibilities you presented, after which you abandoned them and offered nothing further. That's why we're seemingly now in the "nuh-uh" stage.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I directly addressed every one
No, you made further assumptions. You addressed particular scenarios that you contrived on the basis of those assumptions instead of treating the assumptions that you made and I pointed out as what they were.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No, you made further assumptions. You addressed particular scenarios that you contrived on the basis of those assumptions instead of treating the assumptions that you made and I pointed out as what they were.
K sure thing.

Question: I'm also 100% sure the US is spying on China. Can I get you on the record saying that my certainty on that matter is also "a laugh"?