Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I hate it when people ask you for favors then either a) don't bother making sure you have the easiest time accomplishing it or b) get all fussy about how you did it. I don't owe you a goddamn thing, I was just trying to be a nice person by helping you out. Don't ask me to pick up shit then tell me the wrong fucking address. And if you wanted it done a specific way, then you should have done it your fucking self.
Not me but I have a friend who would come to work exhausted(I work night shfit) because he just finished helping someone move. I politiely ask why not just take the night off and he'll say "Oh, they asked me like yesterday/this morning".

He's a nice guy, but this has happened a few times where someone apparently askes him with very little notice to Help them Move and he does it because he's a nice guy and suffers for it. I can't tell him he's wrong but there's the whole "Who the fuck askes you for moving help on such short notice and why would you oblige them so often?" in my mind.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not me but I have a friend who would come to work exhausted(I work night shfit) because he just finished helping someone move. I politiely ask why not just take the night off and he'll say "Oh, they asked me like yesterday/this morning".

He's a nice guy, but this has happened a few times where someone apparently askes him with very little notice to Help them Move and he does it because he's a nice guy and suffers for it. I can't tell him he's wrong but there's the whole "Who the fuck askes you for moving help on such short notice and why would you oblige them so often?" in my mind.
More importantly why is everyone he knows always moving!?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
To be clear, there are far more, less overt ways to include "the others" that don't expect they wear the badge of "otherness" with every email they send. For example, encourage people to eschew pronouns in lieu of proper first names? Chances are you won't be referring to anyone directly in the third person, so if "Sam" sends you an email, your response should be encouraged to to refer to them as "you," and if referring to them in the third, "Sam" works actually BETTER than guessing at he/she/they and is more clearly understood in context without "Sam" having to have in their signature, "Hey, I'm a 'them.'"
If Sam is CC'd on an email in which I am talking about him I would rather say "I spoke to Sam and he said that he could..." rather than 'I spoke to Sam and Sam said that Sam could..."

So yeah, if someone has preferred pronouns that they want people to use for them it's a lot easier if they have them in their signature so I can use those pronouns rather than have to guess. I really am not sure what your problem is here. No one is forcing you to state what pronouns you prefer.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Liquid bandage is completely useless now. I bought some around 15 years ago and it worked great! You could put a nice thick application on and it'd stick for at least 6 hours. Unfortunately it eventually ran out and I've needed to purchase some more. I've tried two different brands now and they both go on in ultra thin coats that don't do anything. Yesterday I put 10 coats on to get a decent amount of protection and it started to fall off within an hour before I'd even left for work.
Old liquid bandage was just super glue.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If Sam is CC'd on an email in which I am talking about him I would rather say "I spoke to Sam and he said that he could..." rather than 'I spoke to Sam and Sam said that Sam could..."

So yeah, if someone has preferred pronouns that they want people to use for them it's a lot easier if they have them in their signature so I can use those pronouns rather than have to guess. I really am not sure what your problem is here. No one is forcing you to state what pronouns you prefer.
If that's honestly the best your command of the English allows, yes, I can see how everyone wearing badges of their personal lives in a professional environment might convenience you.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
If that's honestly the best your command of the English allows, yes, I can see how everyone wearing badges of their personal lives in a professional environment might convenience you.
Why is it unprofessional in your eyes to tell people what you want to be called?

Is it any different than signing your name Bill instead of William if you want to be called Bill?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Why is it unprofessional in your eyes to tell people what you want to be called?

Is it any different than signing your name Bill instead of William if you want to be called Bill?
I'm not saying it's unprofessional to tell people what you want to be called; I'm saying it's obtuse for my company to offer our email signature as the platform on which to broadcast very personal (not to be confused with private) information that some people might not be comfortable sharing on every email they send on the company's behalf. Yes, it's optional, but it'd be more considerate to encourage everyone to be cognizant and open to polite, organic correction when merited rather than simply put their business on blast every time they send an email.

I liken this to any of the myriad episodes of The Office where Michael Scott has an impromptu meeting in the conference room and it's a very awkward and uncomfortable series of moments of him stumbling trying to address a serious issue and mishandling it in grand fashion, i.e.: him kissing Oscar (a gay man who clearly does not want to kiss him) to prove he's not homophobic.

Yes, it's an option; I get that; that fact has not escaped me. What has escaped me is how and why they landed on this as a solution to what might not have been a big enough problem [within our four walls, i.e.: we've quite a few open and proud people] to merit such abrasive reaction to begin with. I know my company; I've born witness to many of their mishandling and missteps in reaction to social issues, so this latest is simply an extension of that. Without divulging more, I can't really expect others to understand my frustration, hence my posting in the "complain" thread as opposed to the "current events."

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It snowing and my balls are freezing. Same time last year it was hot as balls.

Climate, pick a lane ffs. Have mercy on my balls.

XsjadoBlayde

~Social Anxiety Catalysed Free-Market Alienation~
Apr 29, 2020
Conspiracy theorists are slowly melding together like a vast lovecraftian mountain of mangled shrieking pulsating meat, so in my pointlessly impotent efforts to study and understand the intricacies in a poor attempt to prepare and push against further destabilisation of democracies, I have stumbled across perhaps the most insufferably smug of them all...the sovereign citizens.

Sovereign citizens believe that they — not judges, juries, law enforcement or elected officials — get to decide which laws to obey and which to ignore, and they don't think they should have to pay taxes. Sovereigns are clogging up the courts with indecipherable filings and when cornered, many of them lash out in rage, frustration and, in the most extreme cases, acts of deadly violence, usually directed against government officials. In May 2010, for example, a father-son team of sovereigns murdered two police officers with an assault rifle when they were pulled over on the interstate while traveling through West Memphis, Ark.

The movement is rooted in racism and anti-Semitism, though most sovereigns, many of whom are African American, are unaware of their beliefs' origins. In the early 1980s, the sovereign citizens movement mostly attracted white supremacists and anti-Semites, mainly because sovereign theories originated in groups that saw Jews as working behind the scenes to manipulate financial institutions and control the government. Most early sovereigns, and some of those who are still on the scene believed that being white was a prerequisite to becoming a sovereign citizen. They argued that the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, which guaranteed citizenship to African Americans and everyone else born on U.S. soil, also made black Americans permanently subject to federal and state governments, unlike themselves.

The Sovereign belief system
The contemporary sovereign belief system is based on a decades-old conspiracy theory. At some point in history, sovereigns believe, the American government set up by the founding fathers — with a legal system the sovereigns refer to as "common law" — was secretly replaced by a new government system based on admiralty law, the law of the sea and international commerce. Under common law, or so they believe, the sovereigns would be free men. Under admiralty law, they are slaves, and secret government forces have a vested interest in keeping them that way. Some sovereigns believe this perfidious change occurred during the Civil War, while others blame the events of 1933 when the U.S. abandoned the gold standard. Either way, they stake their lives and livelihoods on the idea that judges around the country know all about this hidden government takeover but are denying the sovereigns' motions and filings out of treasonous loyalty to hidden and malevolent government forces.

Though this all sounds bizarre, the next layer of the argument becomes even more implausible. Since 1933, the U.S. dollar has been backed not by gold, but by the "full faith and credit" of the U.S. government (in fact, President Franklin D. Roosevelt ended private ownership of gold in large amounts in 1933; governments could still sell gold for dollars to the U.S. Treasury for a fixed amount after that, until that practice was ended by President Richard Nixon in 1971). According to sovereign "researchers," this means that the government has pledged its citizenry as collateral, by selling their future earning capabilities to foreign investors, effectively enslaving all Americans. This sale, they claim, takes place at birth. When a baby is born in the U.S., a birth certificate is issued, and the hospital usually requires that the parents apply for a Social Security number at that time. Sovereigns say that the government then uses that birth certificate to set up a kind of corporate trust in the baby's name — a secret Treasury account — which it funds with an amount ranging from $600,000 to $20 million, depending on the particular variant of the sovereign belief system. By setting up this account, every newborn's rights are cleverly split between those held by the flesh-and-blood baby and the ones assigned to his or her corporate shell account.

The sovereigns believe the evidence for their theory is found on the birth certificate itself. Since most certificates use all capital letters to spell out a baby's name, JOHN DOE, for example, is actually the name of the corporate shell identity, or "straw man," while John Doe is the baby's "real," flesh-and-blood name. As the child grows older, most of his legal documents will utilize capital letters, which means that his state-issued driver's license, his marriage license, his car registration, his criminal court records, his cable TV bill and correspondence from the IRS all will pertain to his corporate shell identity, not his real, sovereign identity.

The process sovereigns have devised to split the straw man from the flesh-and-blood man is called "redemption," and its purpose is two-fold. Once separated from the corporate shell, the newly freed man is now outside of the jurisdiction of all admiralty laws. More importantly, by filing a series of complex, legal-sounding documents, the sovereign can tap into that secret Treasury account for his own purposes. Over the past 30 years, hundreds of sovereigns have attempted to perfect the process by packaging and promoting different combinations of forms and paperwork. While no one has ever succeeded, for the obvious reason that these theories are not true, sovereigns are nonetheless convinced with the religious certainty of a true cult believed that they're close. All it will take, say the promoters of the redemption scam, is the right combination of words.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Conspiracy theorists are slowly melding together like a vast lovecraftian mountain of mangled shrieking pulsating meat, so in my pointlessly impotent efforts to study and understand the intricacies in a poor attempt to prepare and push against further destabilisation of democracies, I have stumbled across perhaps the most insufferably smug of them all...the sovereign citizens.

I know the SC thing was stupid. I just didn't realize how stupid deep the SC Iceberg goes. It reminds me a lot of that Qanon stuff about Trump really becoming Pres again on March 4 because the Moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

Which reminds me, someone needs to do one of those Conspiracy Iceberg things if they haven't already.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~Social Anxiety Catalysed Free-Market Alienation~
Apr 29, 2020
I know the SC thing was stupid. I just didn't realize how stupid deep the SC Iceberg goes. It reminds me a lot of that Qanon stuff about Trump really becoming Pres again on March 4 because the Moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

Which reminds me, someone needs to do one of those Conspiracy Iceberg things if they haven't already.
Yeah, qanon overlaps with a lot of these because it essentially encourages the """researcher""" to find their own connections to graph out their own internal logic, which invariably includes folding in almost every other conspiracy theory that may look like it could relate if they squint their eyes after a few tainted vodkas/opioids and brushes with schizophrenia. Hearing those particular sovereign citizens speak with such an astounding sense of entitlement to authorities when they're caught raises my hackles somewhat, moreso as they're usually white males who tend to be able to get away with such behaviour than anyone else.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
So in my quest of searching second hand games I've found that at least on this side of the city I ain't buying any unless I'm willing to pay prices equivalent to buying new games, so I guess I really will have to do that online, in the meantime though I did find some PS2 stuff, mainly Final Fantasy XII which I'd never played before but I'm actually liking a lot, not surprising considering that while I do enjoy the mechanics I mainly like it for the story and that's by the same team as Final Fantasy Tactics & Tactics Ogre which are games I really like, mainly the story, but I also bought Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, Eternal Ring, 007 From Russia with love, XGRA & Samurai Warriors because they were all extremely cheap, I've only played FF XII so far though.

Edit: I posted this in the wrong thread, I thought I had posted this on the one about recent purchases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Well since I am in this thread already, I had forgotten the worst part of physical media, so I can't play Final Fantasy XII anymore because I misplaced the disc and I can't remember where I left it and considering I own a lot of disc cases looking for it is a pain, it's not in the PS2, Dreamcast, Wii or PC though I just checked in case I was stupid enough to do that.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it, it was in it's box but below the Bonus disc instead of where it's supposed to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Well since I am in this thread already, I had forgotten the worst part of physical media, so I can't play Final Fantasy XII anymore because I misplaced the disc and I can't remember where I left it and considering I own a lot of disc cases looking for it is a pain, it's not in the PS2, Dreamcast, Wii or PC though I just checked in case I was stupid enough to do that.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it, it was in it's box but below the Bonus disc instead of where it's supposed to go.
I've done that a few times. What's worse, is I have a friend who, instead of putting a game back, would just put the game into the case of the one he was now playing. Would sometimes end up with a daisy chain five games long of misplaced games.

Reactions: Kae and gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
My daughter moved out about a year ago to be closer to work. Now she is WFH so spending big rent bucks make no sense. She has returned home to save up a lump to buy a home rather than rent.

And I have trouble getting into my shower now as it is lined with all sorts of bottles of stuff again. This coming from a guy that uses Suave 3 way (shampoo, conditioner and body wash in one bottle).

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I've done that a few times. What's worse, is I have a friend who, instead of putting a game back, would just put the game into the case of the one he was now playing. Would sometimes end up with a daisy chain five games long of misplaced games.
My brother used to do that, it was infuriating.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Soooo, on Saturday morning my shower and toilet wouldn't drain. I notified my landlord about it at about 1:45PM. By the time someone arrived to fix the problem on Monday at 4:30PM, my toilet was literally vomiting raw sewage onto my bathroom floor.

Turns out, someone in the apartment complex has been flushing used tampons. Y'know, those things that expand when they get wet.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hate the trend these days of making things, especially clothes, look aged. I get that a vintage look is appealing, but why would want your shit to look either damaged or already old even though you just bought it?

The most annoying example for me is on shoes. White materials, be it leather or rubber or foam, will always yellow eventually. Some people like that, as it gives the shoe a "worn" look. But why on God's green earth would you want to buy a pre-yellowed shoe??? I already think the yellowed look makes it look like someone relieved themselves on your shoes, I can't imagine just how yellow they'll be when they actually get old.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My daughter moved out about a year ago to be closer to work. Now she is WFH so spending big rent bucks make no sense. She has returned home to save up a lump to buy a home rather than rent.

And I have trouble getting into my shower now as it is lined with all sorts of bottles of stuff again. This coming from a guy that uses Suave 3 way (shampoo, conditioner and body wash in one bottle).
"I use 2-in-1 shampoo, yeah; that's the sacrifice I make. I don't care; I don't care if it's bad for you; I DON'T CARE. I saw some 3-in-1; you know they have 3-in-1? Soap, shampoo and conditioner, and my first thought was 'why stop there? Let's go 4-in-1: get the toothpaste in there.' I 'll do it. I would do it; I don't care."

~Comedian Andrew Norelli, "Bones."​

Soooo, on Saturday morning my shower and toilet wouldn't drain. I notified my landlord about it at about 1:45PM. By the time someone arrived to fix the problem on Monday at 4:30PM, my toilet was literally vomiting raw sewage onto my bathroom floor.

Turns out, someone in the apartment complex has been flushing used tampons. Y'know, those things that expand when they get wet.
I'd move. Between raw sewage on the floor and used tampons, I'd just move. Leave all your shit there, move, and get new shit when you get anywhere else. That's fucking gross.

I hate the trend these days of making things, especially clothes, look aged. I get that a vintage look is appealing, but why would want your shit to look either damaged or already old even though you just bought it?

The most annoying example for me is on shoes. White materials, be it leather or rubber or foam, will always yellow eventually. Some people like that, as it gives the shoe a "worn" look. But why on God's green earth would you want to buy a pre-yellowed shoe??? I already think the yellowed look makes it look like someone relieved themselves on your shoes, I can't imagine just how yellow they'll be when they actually get old.
This has baffled me for decades. I used to work for a mid-tier fashion retailer, and one of our biggest sellers were distressed jeans for women. Some had holes, some had paint on them ("paint" as in splatters one might accidentally get on them while painting a room,) some had holes AND paint, some had frayed edges, etc., and they sold for $80-$100! What the fuck?? I can go to Walmart, get a decent pair of jeans in perfect condition for $8, and tear them up however I like; why would ANYONE pay $80 for a pair of jeans that look like they've already been used and destroyed?