Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hate it when I mess up a recipe. I always want to find out what went wrong, but obviously the next time I try again it'll have to be after some time since people don't want to eat the same food again and again. So by the time I do try it again, I completely forget what I might have done wrong.

Man I sort of miss living (okay, specifically cooking) on my own.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ok Max and Simmons, we get it. You will never like modern anime, would you still stop making rants about it. Even if the chat brings up some anime. It does not make you right about everything. Also Max, you're wrong about Tenchi. Yes, there are some things that have not aged well with some rough voice acting, but it's not as bad or as cringe as you think it is. If you don't like it now and that's fine, but if you're only remembering/just watching only the first episode of the OVA and not bother with at least the first season, don't act like you know everything.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Just sat through the company I work for's "Virtual Townhall", which is supposed be a sort of a company wide conference call on the state of business , how things have been the last quarter, what the future plans are, and for upper management and the pawns to touch base. But it's always like 1-2 mandatory hours of listening to the big wigs congratulating each other.

Ugh, what a waste of everyone's time. Luckily, the virtual part means you can easily fake being present while doing something actually useful.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My company did a voluntary "virtual breakroom", where we were apparently invited to "virtually sit down and have a chat with each other" about whatever. You should have seen how fast I failed to sign up for that.
I'm still in college, but largely I feel video meetings are pointless. Most video calls can be replaced with a decently made power point presentation, an email, or a pre-recorded video. Any way would be more efficient and effective. But I guess some profs just want the feeling of actual teaching, which I can respect, but there are days when I spend 7.5 hours just staring at my screen in Zoom meetings. Drives me crazy and drains all my energy.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Just sat through the company I work for's "Virtual Townhall", which is supposed be a sort of a company wide conference call on the state of business , how things have been the last quarter, what the future plans are, and for upper management and the pawns to touch base. But it's always like 1-2 mandatory hours of listening to the big wigs congratulating each other.

Ugh, what a waste of everyone's time. Luckily, the virtual part means you can easily fake being present while doing something actually useful.
My company did a voluntary "virtual breakroom", where we were apparently invited to "virtually sit down and have a chat with each other" about whatever. You should have seen how fast I failed to sign up for that.
Y'ever just wanna stand up on your desk and shout for the world to hear that the corporate mentality is fucking stupid?

We have a bi-monthly virtual staff meeting. It's an opportunity for the 6-figure heads of each department to report out on the state of the business to our senior vice president. There're about 100 people on this call; about 6 of them speak over the course of about 30 minutes. Basically, 94 of us 5-figure peons are supposed to take something away from this information being lobbed over our heads because "company." Oh, and it's recently been suggested (corporate speak for "told") to start using our laptop cameras instead of just audio to make the meetings more "engaging." This is the same company that adapted the open air office format (chest-high cubicle walls so you can stare uncomfortably at your co-workers all day because "team") a year after some the earliest adopters had already decided it was a shit idea that the majority of people disliked.

What is so hard about "give me a job, and I'll do it. If I have a question, I'll ask. If I do it wrong, fire me?" Why does corporate think that contract requires I wear a phony smile, feign interest and engage virtually with people I'd already perfected avoiding in person? I have no input and the information being shared does not immediately pertain to me... WHY AM I HERE?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
First complaint of 2021! Woo-Hoo!

My girlfriend’s cat (Ellie) has reached a new level of annoyance I thought unfathomable. We traveled to Ohio for Thanksgiving, and while we were gone, my gf’s mom cat sat for us, and introduced Ellie to wet food. She loves it. So much so, the song of my morning for the past month and a half has been persistent meowing, invariably a half an hour before my alarm goes off, if not earlier, meowing that literally doesn’t stop until she has wet food in her face. Also, every time someone goes into the kitchen, meowing. 30 minutes after she gets the wet food she demanded just moments before, meowing. Basically, if she’s not asleep, she’s meowing for wet food. To say this cat gets on my nerves would be to say a forest fire is akin to a campfire. I think hundreds of years from now, mankind will collectively look back on the domestication of cats with the same “what the hell were they thinking” disbelief as we do the Salem Witch Trials.

TL;DR? Cat: free to a good home. Any home. I’d give her to a crack house at this point. In fact, I’ll PAY anyone to take her anywhere that’s not here.
Our cat’s obsession with wet food has gone off the rails. Now, she is CHOOSEY, demanding it one second, then turning her nose up at the same flavor the next. I find myself, an avid cat hater, grocery shopping for a fucking animal that I’d love nothing more than to punt over a fence. Yesterday, my gf and I were arguing over a grocery list (over the course of this pandemic, we’ve run out of things to talk about, so we’ve invented things to fight about,) so in a huff, I went shopping. Came back an hour later, and as she’s assessing what I bought, she notes that the cat doesn’t like the flavor of cat food I bought. Conversation went like this:

GF: You bought the chicken and liver.
Me: Yeah, so?
GF: She doesn’t like this one anymore.
Me: Fuck that cat.
GF: Did you just say “fuck my cat?”
Me: Goddamn right, I did. I’ll say it again: fuck that cat.
GF: *laughing*
Me: *laughing*

Apparently the cat’s good for something: de-escalating petty tiffs.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Y'ever just wanna stand up on your desk and shout for the world to hear that the corporate mentality is fucking stupid?

We have a bi-monthly virtual staff meeting. It's an opportunity for the 6-figure heads of each department to report out on the state of the business to our senior vice president. There're about 100 people on this call; about 6 of them speak over the course of about 30 minutes. Basically, 94 of us 5-figure peons are supposed to take something away from this information being lobbed over our heads because "company." Oh, and it's recently been suggested (corporate speak for "told") to start using our laptop cameras instead of just audio to make the meetings more "engaging." This is the same company that adapted the open air office format (chest-high cubicle walls so you can stare uncomfortably at your co-workers all day because "team") a year after some the earliest adopters had already decided it was a shit idea that the majority of people disliked.

What is so hard about "give me a job, and I'll do it. If I have a question, I'll ask. If I do it wrong, fire me?" Why does corporate think that contract requires I wear a phony smile, feign interest and engage virtually with people I'd already perfected avoiding in person? I have no input and the information being shared does not immediately pertain to me... WHY AM I HERE?
Ugh, worst job I ever had was working as a produce clerk in a Walmart "Neighborhood" Market (a smaller, grocery centric walmart), and every single day, the manager called us all into the break room to have a meeting. The subject? "So yesterday, the meat department brought in 5.62% more profit than the same day last year." *golf claps* Every single department, every single day.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ugh, worst job I ever had was working as a produce clerk in a Walmart "Neighborhood" Market (a smaller, grocery centric walmart), and every single day, the manager called us all into the break room to have a meeting. The subject? "So yesterday, the meat department brought in 5.62% more profit than the same day last year." *golf claps* Every single department, every single day.
Begs the question: what were the meat department employees doing to merit such arbitrary praise? Because as a +40 year carnivore, I've never been "sold" in any store's meat department. Meaning I've never gone in looking for hamburgers and been upsold waygu steak via a shrewd butcher's sales tactics. Was anyone ever fired over LACK of sales? Was any Walmart butcher ever let go because he didn't crunch out a half smoked cigarette and straighten his tie to sell a rack of ribs to the soccer mom looking to buy an 8-pack of hotdogs?

And it was Walmart. No offense, but who shops at Walmart for the best selections of meat that the meat department should be praised over a marginal YOY uptick in sales?

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Rats got in under the house due to a broken airbrick, and one died leaning on a radiator pipe. Smells ensued, and now I need a new kitchen floor.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Begs the question: what were the meat department employees doing to merit such arbitrary praise? Because as a +40 year carnivore, I've never been "sold" in any store's meat department. Meaning I've never gone in looking for hamburgers and been upsold waygu steak via a shrewd butcher's sales tactics. Was anyone ever fired over LACK of sales? Was any Walmart butcher ever let go because he didn't crunch out a half smoked cigarette and straighten his tie to sell a rack of ribs to the soccer mom looking to buy an 8-pack of hotdogs?

And it was Walmart. No offense, but who shops at Walmart for the best selections of meat that the meat department should be praised over a marginal YOY uptick in sales?
It wasn't that the meat department was special or anything, it's just that these meetings covered all of the departments, so it would be meat, pharmacy, produce, front end, etc., and not just profits, but tare and losses and all the other dumb fucking percentile shit that totally matters to the people making about minimum wage.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm looking for some new bluetooth earphones, and I was annoyed to find out that the brand I've been buying from updated their line to look more like Apple AirPods. Ugh. I think they just look stupid, stupid enough for me to pass on whatever advantage they supposedly provide.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It’s cold, miserable and I don’t wanna cook but the wife is at night classes and my kids go from Zero to Lord of the Flies if they don’t see me making dinner.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
... my kids go from Zero to Lord of the Flies if they don’t see me making dinner.
That's hilarious. My gf's son is 16, fully capable, but his mother has doted on him so much all his life (only child,) if it requires anymore than a 2-step process, he won't make his own food. He'll scramble an egg, or boil some ramen, but asking him to do anymore, you might as well ask him to build a Mars rover. Meanwhile, his much younger cousins, whose mother has four children and has long since decided "raise yourselves," can be found clambering around in the kitchen like monkeys (literally climbing on counters as lack of height necessitates) making multi-course meals.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That's hilarious. My gf's son is 16, fully capable, but his mother has doted on him so much all his life (only child,) if it requires anymore than a 2-step process, he won't make his own food. He'll scramble an egg, or boil some ramen, but asking him to do anymore, you might as well ask him to build a Mars rover. Meanwhile, his much younger cousins, whose mother has four children and has long since decided "raise yourselves," can be found clambering around in the kitchen like monkeys (literally climbing on counters as lack of height necessitates) making multi-course meals.
My kids are seven. I'm not ready to do the teaching cooking thing yet. They can make their own cereal easily and sandwiches if pressed, and if they want snacks I remind them there's a fruit bowl.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My kids are seven. I'm not ready to do the teaching cooking thing yet. They can make their own cereal easily and sandwiches if pressed, and if they want snacks I remind them there's a fruit bowl.
Not insinuating anyone should teach children too cook at that early an age, just marveled by how differently they can respond to the task. In my case, this 16-year-old (who has a driver's permit and will be eligible to vote in another year; God help us all) should be a lot more self-sufficient than he is. He walks back and forth between his bedroom and kitchen eating junk food until his mother gets fed up watching him pace and makes him something substantive while her younger nieces and nephews could probably survive in primitive hunter/gatherer societies with ease. Oh, his latest out? He used Uber Eats to order a single cheeseburger from McDonalds, not even fries; I think the delivery fee was more than the food.

Were I to ever have kids; I'd cook for them, but the SECOND they've the gumption to ask for it casually over their shoulder while playing videogames, "get your ass up, and make something; I'm not your personal chef." Seven is plenty young to expect food gifted to you; 16? No fucking way in hell, heaven or earth, you fucking lazy, spoiled brat-ass bastard.

Ever seen the movie "Clifford" with Martin Short? That's my meta-life every day: a grown man watching another a grown man pretend to be a child, and the two of us are the only ones aware of the scam, and I look like the asshole when I get fed up and exclaim "He's taller than all of us, has a mustache and can dunk a fucking basketball; why do you insist on effectively changing his diapers??"

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Our home was built in the 1970s. In the backyard, there’s an old concrete barrier which was an edge to a garden decades ago; only about a third of it has been visible above the grass line, and it’s broken, so when we mow, he have to lift the mower over it each time. I finally asked my girlfriend why she’d never removed it in her 11 years of ownership, and she said she’s wanted to, but just never pulled the trigger. I called a landscaping service and scheduled the removal. After about two hours of digging, we found the concrete barrier to be about 10 feet long and 12 inches deep (a LOT bigger than we’d anticipated.) The guy left and is coming back today to finish the job, but a couple days ago, I attempted to move his wheelbarrow full of dirt under the eave in anticipation of rain and I fell, wrenched my shoulder. It’s been two days and I still cannot lift my arm; I fear I’ve done some serious damage (I’m thinking a torn rotator cuff) over a minor inconvenience. This is bullshit.