Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So I had to change my steam password and my GOG password and that became an exercise in frustration.

So....
1.) LET ME SEE MY PASSWORD WHEN I WANT TO! Because if you're telling me my password is wrong, but I can't see it because it's all covered by dots, I don't know what part of it I'm fucking up. Even worse, if I'm trying to change my fucking password and you ask me to enter it, enter it again, and then tell me "Passwords don't match" I can't fucking tell where I messed that up either because I CAN"T SEE EITHER ONE OF THEM! So now I have to enter both of them again and hope I don't make a mistake entering either one of them. I know why the dots exist, but I'm doing this in my HOUSE. Nobody is reading this over my fucking shoulder unless they're in the same room with me and at that point I'm not really worried about my fucking password as much as why is this person in the room with me

2.) Steam, I use the authenticator to make it more secure, but when my password gets changed(or I forget it) then it asks me to go to the authenticator. Fair enough, but If I change the password, I need to go into the steam app on my phone to see the code you want to confirm, which I CAN'T GET TO BECAUSE I NEED TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD, because changing my password logs me out of STEAM ON MY PHONE, so I have to use the backup method of sending links and codes to my e-mail and my phone, so why am I using the damn authenticator anyway?

Seriously, There's no fucking point to so much security when you make the requirements so stupid I have to write down the password in case I forget it at which point now my passwords are written down which is a security breach in itself.
Welcome to my world dealing with fucking Itunes telling me I have to change my password if I ever stop using it for a month. Dear god, it shouldn't be this hard or complicated.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So I had to change my steam password and my GOG password and that became an exercise in frustration.

So....
1.) LET ME SEE MY PASSWORD WHEN I WANT TO! Because if you're telling me my password is wrong, but I can't see it because it's all covered by dots, I don't know what part of it I'm fucking up. Even worse, if I'm trying to change my fucking password and you ask me to enter it, enter it again, and then tell me "Passwords don't match" I can't fucking tell where I messed that up either because I CAN"T SEE EITHER ONE OF THEM! So now I have to enter both of them again and hope I don't make a mistake entering either one of them. I know why the dots exist, but I'm doing this in my HOUSE. Nobody is reading this over my fucking shoulder unless they're in the same room with me and at that point I'm not really worried about my fucking password as much as why is this person in the room with me

2.) Steam, I use the authenticator to make it more secure, but when my password gets changed(or I forget it) then it asks me to go to the authenticator. Fair enough, but If I change the password, I need to go into the steam app on my phone to see the code you want to confirm, which I CAN'T GET TO BECAUSE I NEED TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD, because changing my password logs me out of STEAM ON MY PHONE, so I have to use the backup method of sending links and codes to my e-mail and my phone, so why am I using the damn authenticator anyway?

Seriously, There's no fucking point to so much security when you make the requirements so stupid I have to write down the password in case I forget it at which point now my passwords are written down which is a security breach in itself.
Oh, how the modern age of security and privacy has come full circle. "Don't write your passwords down while we put in place security measures that basically mandate that you have your passwords written down!" Every morning, I have to open my work laptop with my password, then sign into my company's VPN with my password, then open a randomly generated soft token with my 4-digit PIN, then input the 8-digit soft token to complete my connection to the VPN. With that done, I'm able to access all of my company's tools and resources... which each prompt me for my password. I really just want a job driving a forklift somewhere.

I recently had to replace my debit card, something I'd been avoiding for months despite the tap/insert features on my old one being wonky to outright defective. I held off because my debit card is tied to I don't know HOW many autopayments, and the idea of 1.) having to track them all down before missing a payment somewhere and 2.) having to recall all the passwords to said autopayment websites makes my soul weep. My new card should be here any day; pray for me.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Wouldn't be slightly surprised if that's the case. I've never been to that part of town, but it truly is amazing how many used car dealerships there are there, small lots with inventories of a few dozen cars, side by side for blocks upon blocks occasionally interrupted by a taqueria, laundromat or run-down auto repair shop. I think stealing a vehicle in that part of town is a misdemeanor at best; you might even get off with just a warning.

That said, for a teenager's first car that will inexorably find itself wrapped around a fire hydrant, it wouldn't be a bad area to shop around for a beater were it closer to us, but if it were closer to us, I'd want to move further away. I think that town gave me COVID, Omega variant.
I used to work part time for a dealers auction. Not open to the public, this is an auction where car dealers buy and sell cars from one another. A car like you are describing, I wouldn't be surprised if it cost the dealership about $100 at an auction like the one I worked for. They would buy a car for a couple hundred, put it on their lot with a 6 - 8 thousand dollar sticker. Sometimes I'd drive a car to the auction from dealer "A," they'd sell to dealer "B," then next auction I'd get the same car to drive back from dealer "C" and "A" would buy it again... it was just bizarre.

My favorite story from that job, a dealer in a town about 100 miles away wanted to sell a little sport truck at the auction. I got sent up to get it. Nice little truck, great engine... nice and neat, low mileage, bangin' sound system. The only problem I could see, missing driver side window. Next day I'm dressed up and driving it through the auction itself. Car condition is shown with a traffic signal scale. Green, good condition. Yellow, minor problems. Red, serious issues. Then there is a White light. White means there is a disclosure issue, something that a seller is legally obligated to tell a potential buyer before the purchase is finalized. Usually that meant it was rebuilt from salvage or had some kind of serious issue like fire or flood damage. And the truck was White lighted. I had just driven it 100 miles, I was stunned. I could see nothing (other than the drivers side glass) that would keep it from a green light. So after it didn't sell (few white lighted cars would) I asked the owner, why was it white lighted?

It was the window. The previous owner
had put his brains through that window with a shotgun.
Yup, I was sitting in the same drivers seat he had been... for 100 miles. On the plus side, someone had done a great job detailing the damn thing.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I used to work part time for a dealers auction. Not open to the public, this is an auction where car dealers buy and sell cars from one another. A car like you are describing, I wouldn't be surprised if it cost the dealership about $100 at an auction like the one I worked for. They would buy a car for a couple hundred, put it on their lot with a 6 - 8 thousand dollar sticker. Sometimes I'd drive a car to the auction from dealer "A," they'd sell to dealer "B," then next auction I'd get the same car to drive back from dealer "C" and "A" would buy it again... it was just bizarre.

My favorite story from that job, a dealer in a town about 100 miles away wanted to sell a little sport truck at the auction. I got sent up to get it. Nice little truck, great engine... nice and neat, low mileage, bangin' sound system. The only problem I could see, missing driver side window. Next day I'm dressed up and driving it through the auction itself. Car condition is shown with a traffic signal scale. Green, good condition. Yellow, minor problems. Red, serious issues. Then there is a White light. White means there is a disclosure issue, something that a seller is legally obligated to tell a potential buyer before the purchase is finalized. Usually that meant it was rebuilt from salvage or had some kind of serious issue like fire or flood damage. And the truck was White lighted. I had just driven it 100 miles, I was stunned. I could see nothing (other than the drivers side glass) that would keep it from a green light. So after it didn't sell (few white lighted cars would) I asked the owner, why was it white lighted?

It was the window. The previous owner
had put his brains through that window with a shotgun.
Yup, I was sitting in the same drivers seat he had been... for 100 miles. On the plus side, someone had done a great job detailing the damn thing.
Jesus! That's crazy! Still, objectively speaking and not to be insensitive, if the window was the only damage... why was it white lighted? I mean, when my girlfriend bought her house 12 years ago, the realtor mentioned as a "fun fact" that someone had been shot and killed on the front lawn by the previous owner (home invasion gone awry, but Texas, so yeah,) but she didn't get a discount or anything.

Another tangential anecdote: my girlfriend was providing home health care to an elderly friend of ours after a surgery. One evening after she'd left, he slipped and fell, busted his face to hell on a runner carpet in his hallway, blood everywhere. My gf agreed to clean up the aftermath, but couldn't get the blood stain completely clean so called a carpet service to come collect it and clean it professionally. When they arrived and saw the blood, they had to call back to HQ to find out if they were allowed to take it and clean it. It never crossed my mind that a bloody rug is a potential crime scene, and some might not be comfortable cleaning it without question.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So we got a new TV(a bigger one because why not?) to go in the living room, and the one from the living room will become the game console TV. However, when connecting the wires back into the TV, I accidently knocked the docked Nintendo Switch over and it hit the table the new TV is sitting on, a couple feet below. The main unit of the switch seems to be okay(no cracks in the screen and it turns on) but one of the joycons was busted. I was able to remove the connected part from the Swtich without issue but fixing the joycon is probably not gonna happen. I think(hope) that the joycon absorbed most if not all of the impact of the fall and that's all the damage.

I ordered replacements and they arrived today and are charging now. In a little while I'm gonna run a quick test to make sure the switch itself is okay.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Huh, I was at the dentist today as well.

Though, you didn't actually say you got your teeth pulled out at the dentist, but I'm assuming (and hoping) that was the case.
One of my favorite stories from my Dad was about a guy that pulled out one of his own teeth with a pair of pliers at work. Crazy.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Jesus! That's crazy! Still, objectively speaking and not to be insensitive, if the window was the only damage... why was it white lighted? I mean, when my girlfriend bought her house 12 years ago, the realtor mentioned as a "fun fact" that someone had been shot and killed on the front lawn by the previous owner (home invasion gone awry, but Texas, so yeah,) but she didn't get a discount or anything.

Another tangential anecdote: my girlfriend was providing home health care to an elderly friend of ours after a surgery. One evening after she'd left, he slipped and fell, busted his face to hell on a runner carpet in his hallway, blood everywhere. My gf agreed to clean up the aftermath, but couldn't get the blood stain completely clean so called a carpet service to come collect it and clean it professionally. When they arrived and saw the blood, they had to call back to HQ to find out if they were allowed to take it and clean it. It never crossed my mind that a bloody rug is a potential crime scene, and some might not be comfortable cleaning it without question.
Because generally death is something that legally has to be disclosed. I don't know exactly what your state law says... but my guess the realtor in your story may have passed it off as a "fun fact," I'd put a lot of money on him being legally obligated to tell any potential buyer that fun fact. Here, and as far as I can tell pretty much everywhere, there are no disclosure laws spelling out a RENTERS rights. Your hotel room or apartment can have housed dozens of corpses and you will never be the wiser. But for a car or house, any next potential owner has a right to know if a house or vehicle has certain flaws or faults. And generally a death inside is one of those things that has to be disclosed. I really don't know why, probably because it can potentially affect the value of the car/house or whatever.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Because generally death is something that legally has to be disclosed. I don't know exactly what your state law says... but my guess the realtor in your story may have passed it off as a "fun fact," I'd put a lot of money on him being legally obligated to tell any potential buyer that fun fact. Here, and as far as I can tell pretty much everywhere, there are no disclosure laws spelling out a RENTERS rights. Your hotel room or apartment can have housed dozens of corpses and you will never be the wiser. But for a car or house, any next potential owner has a right to know if a house or vehicle has certain flaws or faults. And generally a death inside is one of those things that has to be disclosed. I really don't know why, probably because it can potentially affect the value of the car/house or whatever.
Given we live in Texas, I'm slightly surprised they didn't UP the price since the house now has the kind of history that would make any 2nd amendment-loving Southerner proud.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
ugh, in the hospital. had surgery to create my fistula for hemodialysis. fingers numb. arm hurts a little. typing everything with one hand. capital letters will have to suck it. have to stay overnight on observation. got my laptop tho, so can entertain myself.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
ugh, in the hospital. had surgery to create my fistula for hemodialysis. fingers numb. arm hurts a little. typing everything with one hand. capital letters will have to suck it. have to stay overnight on observation. got my laptop tho, so can entertain myself.
Again, I hate "liking" a post about someone's pain; rest assured, I'm not pleased by your suffering, rather sympathizing with your plight and effort to share it with us. Hemodialysis does not sound fun; is this something temporary, or are you looking at a procedure you'll have to undergo repeatedly for the rest of your life?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Again, I hate "liking" a post about someone's pain; rest assured, I'm not pleased by your suffering, rather sympathizing with your plight and effort to share it with us. Hemodialysis does not sound fun; is this something temporary, or are you looking at a procedure you'll have to undergo repeatedly for the rest of your life?
don't need it yet, but i'll probably have to start in 2-3 months at best. 3 times a week for 4 hours. it is temporary tho, in the sense that its a stopgap to keep me alive until i can get a kidney transplant. Im on the waitlist. average wait time is 2-5 years

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
don't need it yet, but i'll probably have to start in 2-3 months at best. 3 times a week for 4 hours. it is temporary tho, in the sense that its a stopgap to keep me alive until i can get a kidney transplant. Im on the waitlist. average wait time is 2-5 years
Here's hoping it's a quick 2-5 years.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I hate to complain, but my gf's Aunt Judy has to be the most painfully slow eater in the history of chewing. Two HOURS to eat a pulled pork sandwich because she stops ever 4 seconds to comment (with her mouth full) on whatever's on the TV at the moment. I used to think the scene from Forget Paris where Billy Crystal is driving his wife's elderly father around and he reads every sign they pass by was an exaggeration, but nope, it's accurate. Apparently the elderly comment on everything they see in a effort to keep from dying from moment to moment. Sweet woman, but god damn it, eat and quit talking through every movie or TV show we're watching; we miss half of it bringing you up to speed which you won't recall 25 seconds later anyway.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Fucking Californian journalist talking about how "I think most people that are told by their workplace that remote work is ending will choose to just quit." You fucking spoiled child! Most of us working class people never had the option to begin with and have been going to work outside of our houses for two years and you're acting like the possibility of people having to physically go to work is some kind of horrible affront to humanity, when you got to sit on your ass at home for all that time, fuck off.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Fucking Californian journalist talking about how "I think most people that are told by their workplace that remote work is ending will choose to just quit." You fucking spoiled child! Most of us working class people never had the option to begin with and have been going to work outside of our houses for two years and you're acting like the possibility of people having to physically go to work is some kind of horrible affront to humanity, when you got to sit on your ass at home for all that time, fuck off.
Outside of the exact context, I don't think stating the obvious makes someone a "fucking spoiled brat." The fact is, the pandemic exposed an outdated work culture recognized by both employers and employees. The jobs market is [apparently] rife with opportunity, and if people's capabilities have shown for two years that the only thing missing is the commute, then why rattle the "new normal" cage and risk putting people off? Yeah, it sucks for those who can't work remotely due to the nature of the job, but you can't blame those who's jobs can be done remotely for being selective.

My company was going to open a new home office for us a few months back. The one we were in is about 4 miles from my house; the new one they chose is about 40 miles away, and my first thought was "...I'm might find another job." Fortunately, my boss informed me that I would continue working remotely indefinitely. He also mentioned they ultimately found another location closer to the old one because of fears people would quit if asked to make that commute.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Outside of the exact context, I don't think stating the obvious makes someone a "fucking spoiled brat." The fact is, the pandemic exposed an outdated work culture recognized by both employers and employees. The jobs market is [apparently] rife with opportunity, and if people's capabilities have shown for two years that the only thing missing is the commute, then why rattle the "new normal" cage and risk putting people off? Yeah, it sucks for those who can't work remotely due to the nature of the job, but you can't blame those who's jobs can be done remotely for being selective.

My company was going to open a new home office for us a few months back. The one we were in is about 4 miles from my house; the new one they chose is about 40 miles away, and my first thought was "...I'm might find another job." Fortunately, my boss informed me that I would continue working remotely indefinitely. He also mentioned they ultimately found another location closer to the old one because of fears people would quit if asked to make that commute.
It does beg the question "If your job can be done remotely on a laptop from home, why not let people work remote? Why force people to commute 30-90 min just to do the same thing? " Clearly it's not an option for everyone but having fewer people commuting means less money being spent on gas, less traffic for those who do commute, more time for workers to spend on other things that's not wasted commuting, less pollution due to fewer cars on the road, etc. I don't see much downside except for real estate bros and people who invested in huge offices that are now not being used to full capacity. Especially since we're still in a Pandemic, despite some people trying to pretend it's over.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I recently had to replace my debit card, something I'd been avoiding for months despite the tap/insert features on my old one being wonky to outright defective. I held off because my debit card is tied to I don't know HOW many autopayments, and the idea of 1.) having to track them all down before missing a payment somewhere and 2.) having to recall all the passwords to said autopayment websites makes my soul weep. My new card should be here any day; pray for me.
Finally got the new card, and it's been every bit the nightmare I suspected it would be. I managed to get a few autopayments updated, but that took almost an hour since most of these sites like to disguise where that option actually is making me drill way too deep to find it. At this point, I might just wait until I get emails about failed payments and update them then.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That being said, it's funny how old becomes new again. Cell phones started as behemoths; improving them meant making them smaller and smaller. Now, as we've apparently apexed, BIGGER phones are the way to go. Next thing you know, we'll being saving ourselves the hassle of carrying around our phones with conveniently wall-mounted phones that don't require charging and fidelity independent of a wi-fi connection!

View attachment 5868
Just thought of another one! Apparently, the new craze is phones that fold!
1650559107614.png

Y'know, like we had 20 years ago.
1650559158839.png

Reactions: Dalisclock