Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yeesh, are you learning from that tutorial or do you have the sheet music?
Not very good with sheet music at mo, coming from a low income family meant no lessons or even own instruments, so had to teach myself everything any way I could. Tabs and these types of visual tutorials are really useful though. It takes too long for me to translate the notes from sheet music to physical motion to be effective. The internet has been very accommodating for solo learning thankfully!

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not very good with sheet music at mo, coming from a low income family meant no lessons or even own instruments, so had to teach myself everything any way I could. Tabs and these types of visual tutorials are really useful though. It takes too long for me to translate the notes from sheet music to physical motion to be effective. The internet has been very accommodating for solo learning thankfully!
Ah, I understand. I have a strong ear; as long as I hear a piece first, I can usually figure it out from the sheets fairly quickly (provided it's with my technical ability.) But these visual tutorials which have gained some traction over the past few years are beyond me. Particularly something like the piece you're working on that's this fast; at tempo, it's kinda hard to discern what's actually happening, especially when the hands cross. I guess as long as you can hear what's happening, it shouldn't be too difficult to suss out what works for you. Anyway, good luck! Beautiful piece, but it doesn't look easy!

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Ah, I understand. I have a strong ear; as long as I hear a piece first, I can usually figure it out from the sheets fairly quickly (provided it's with my technical ability.) But these visual tutorials which have gained some traction over the past few years are beyond me. Particularly something like the piece you're working on that's this fast; at tempo, it's kinda hard to discern what's actually happening, especially when the hands cross. I guess as long as you can hear what's happening, it shouldn't be too difficult to suss out what works for you. Anyway, good luck! Beautiful piece, but it doesn't look easy!
That's a mad skill to have, I'm noway near that confident or experienced! What stuff do you like to practice on there? Any particular favourites? Pretty much any style interests me, though I'd love to be able to do freeform jazz at some point, it's an end-game ambition really.
Thanks, will seriously need the luck, hah! Been wanting to practice that piece for ages but never had an instrument with the low octaves to do so. Now I got one, hitting the low notes for the hard crash sound never stops being satisfying.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That's a mad skill to have, I'm noway near that confident or experienced! What stuff do you like to practice on there? Any particular favourites? Pretty much any style interests me, though I'd love to be able to do freeform jazz at some point, it's an end-game ambition really.
Thanks, will seriously need the luck, hah! Been wanting to practice that piece for ages but never had an instrument with the low octaves to do so. Now I got one, hitting the low notes for the hard crash sound never stops being satisfying.
New keyboard/piano? That's awesome! My dream growing up was to have a studio decked out with every manner of gadget, then I grew up. Adulting sucks a bag of dicks.

So we're clear, I have a strong ear, but do rely on sheet music 90% of the time; I'm not one of those freaks (that's jealousy speaking) that can just play whatever they hear. But below is a video of me playing an arrangement I made of Balmorhea's "Theme No.1." The sheet music didn't exist for public consumption at the time, and as far as I can tell, still doesn't. It's not difficult, but has some of those deep crashes that, yes, are indeed satisfying. I embellished a bit to make it more my own because playing what I hear wasn't very satisfying if accurate.

I don't play as much as I'd like anymore, but when I do, I've got the piano my grandfather gave me when my parents put me in lessons when I was 12. It's about the only possession I have that no matter where I go, IT goes, i.e.: my friends hate helping me move. My last apartment was so small, I had to choose between my piano or a dinner table. Needless to say, my coffee table saw many a meal thereafter.

Favorites? When it comes to piano, I used to favor New Age stuff ('80s-'90s,) but haven't really kept up with it since falling head first into electronic music in the mid '90s, but my ear always perks up when I hear some good ivory being tickled, like the video you shared. Back in my day, it was Yanni's album entitled "In My Time," his first (and only, IIRC) album that focused heavily on the raw piano, pushing his typical orchestral synths to the background for once. It's a truly timeless album. (It was actually this album that caused a rift between me and my piano teacher; she'd ask me to practice one thing, but I spent my time learning the songs from the album!) Also Suzanne Ciani is really good, "Pianissimo" is brilliant. Jazz, while I can and do appreciate it, is a skill set beyond me. You have to have an intimate intuition with the instrument that I simply don't have; I love to play, but it IS work.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
New keyboard/piano? That's awesome! My dream growing up was to have a studio decked out with every manner of gadget, then I grew up. Adulting sucks a bag of dicks.

So we're clear, I have a strong ear, but do rely on sheet music 90% of the time; I'm not one of those freaks (that's jealousy speaking) that can just play whatever they hear. But below is a video of me playing an arrangement I made of Balmorhea's "Theme No.1." The sheet music didn't exist for public consumption at the time, and as far as I can tell, still doesn't. It's not difficult, but has some of those deep crashes that, yes, are indeed satisfying. I embellished a bit to make it more my own because playing what I hear wasn't very satisfying if accurate.

I don't play as much as I'd like anymore, but when I do, I've got the piano my grandfather gave me when my parents put me in lessons when I was 12. It's about the only possession I have that no matter where I go, IT goes, i.e.: my friends hate helping me move. My last apartment was so small, I had to choose between my piano or a dinner table. Needless to say, my coffee table saw many a meal thereafter.

Favorites? When it comes to piano, I used to favor New Age stuff ('80s-'90s,) but haven't really kept up with it since falling head first into electronic music in the mid '90s, but my ear always perks up when I hear some good ivory being tickled, like the video you shared. Back in my day, it was Yanni's album entitled "In My Time," his first (and only, IIRC) album that focused heavily on the raw piano, pushing his typical orchestral synths to the background for once. It's a truly timeless album. (It was actually this album that caused a rift between me and my piano teacher; she'd ask me to practice one thing, but I spent my time learning the songs from the album!) Also Suzanne Ciani is really good, "Pianissimo" is brilliant. Jazz, while I can and do appreciate it, is a skill set beyond me. You have to have an intimate intuition with the instrument that I simply don't have; I love to play, but it IS work.

Oh damn, wish I could like a post twice now! That's a real nice atmospheric piece, disarming and emotionally grounding. Reminds me a bit of Silent Hill too, for some reason! The low crashes are subtle more like gentle breaking waves. It's great to have an instrument with so much history play so well also, I certainly would've kept it if I had to choose between that or a dinner table for sure: food consumption is a flexible hobby anyway. You've provided some homework for me over the festive break to study, these are all new inspirations to dabble in and are greatly appreciated! Pianissimo is an intriguing word as it is, tickling the curiosity already.
Yeah, admittedly the freeform Jazz ambition is like the last light at the end of the pipe, where reaching such ability is like symbiotically fusing with your instrument as one, a musical homunculus able to extract any quirky mixture of emotion from the keys without hesitation.

Well, we can't all be savants, though it would be rather handy beyond the social awkwardness usually packaged with such a buff. I totally agree that playing your own way is the wiser path to go instead of aiming for 100% accuracy, you gotta let the soul in there somewhere to play around. There's a track called Gnossienne no.1 by Erik Satie with very noticeable off-kilter timing, which no matter how much I love, I cannot replicate, nor feel comfortable even trying, as that is their personal quirk that makes it stand out, unfortunately I would need to find my own to be able to feel "honest" when playing it. Which probably sounds weird now I've typed it out, hah!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh damn, wish I could like a post twice now! That's a real nice atmospheric piece, disarming and emotionally grounding. Reminds me a bit of Silent Hill too, for some reason! The low crashes are subtle more like gentle breaking waves. It's great to have an instrument with so much history play so well also, I certainly would've kept it if I had to choose between that or a dinner table for sure: food consumption is a flexible hobby anyway. You've provided some homework for me over the festive break to study, these are all new inspirations to dabble in and are greatly appreciated! Pianissimo is an intriguing word as it is, tickling the curiosity already.
Yeah, admittedly the freeform Jazz ambition is like the last light at the end of the pipe, where reaching such ability is like symbiotically fusing with your instrument as one, a musical homunculus able to extract any quirky mixture of emotion from the keys without hesitation.

Well, we can't all be savants, though it would be rather handy beyond the social awkwardness usually packaged with such a buff. I totally agree that playing your own way is the wiser path to go instead of aiming for 100% accuracy, you gotta let the soul in there somewhere to play around. There's a track called Gnossienne no.1 by Erik Satie with very noticeable off-kilter timing, which no matter how much I love, I cannot replicate, nor feel comfortable even trying, as that is their personal quirk that makes it stand out, unfortunately I would need to find my own to be able to feel "honest" when playing it. Which probably sounds weird now I've typed it out, hah!
Glad you appreciated the suggestions and video; hope you find some gems of your own in your "homework" efforts! Pursuit of good music is one of life's very few faultless joys.

Yanni was a huge inspiration to me as he doesn't read sheet music (probably does now, but he was a savant in his start,) deferring rather to his own, unique style of musical notation with Greek symbols and whatnot, creating music from his heart rather than rigid constraints of "how music is done." Ciani is classically trained, so her music tends to be a bit more technically demanding, but the emotion, beauty and purity are certainly there. There was a compilation album released YEARS ago called "Piano Two" where several artists (Yanni and Ciani involved) played some of their more popular, synth-heavy pieces strictly on the piano, and it is jaw-dropping, particularly Yanni's rendition of "Nostalgia."

Satie is a complicated guy (as most composers tend to be.) He captured some really raw emotion that isn't easily replicated accurately to what one finds strictly on the sheets; the performer inexorably becomes a part of his works. "Gymnopédie No.1" is always a shameless joy of mine; I want to learn to play it, but I feel it'd require a sense of contentedness I can't say I have, so I completely understand when you talk about playing "honestly;" not weird at all.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The American side of the publisher wanted to do something to make the box art stand out and not get lost in the glut of shoot em ups. The genre was already oversaturated with space shooters, so you can't exactly blame them for doing that. do you know the guy they use was a very tired Mall Santa. You can actually tell from the picture itself.
It worked, at least to some degree. People remember that cover if only for how wierd it is. Ironically I rented it and remember none of the actual game, so the cover was the only noteworthy thing about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Where's Bayonetta 3? It got announced back in 2017 and with nothing to show! I really wish a lot of game companies would stop doing this. It's a teaser trailer one year and radio silence anywhere from three to seven years. Most western publishers and developers have toned this down, but the Japanese still do this a lot.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Glad you appreciated the suggestions and video; hope you find some gems of your own in your "homework" efforts! Pursuit of good music is one of life's very few faultless joys.

Yanni was a huge inspiration to me as he doesn't read sheet music (probably does now, but he was a savant in his start,) deferring rather to his own, unique style of musical notation with Greek symbols and whatnot, creating music from his heart rather than rigid constraints of "how music is done." Ciani is classically trained, so her music tends to be a bit more technically demanding, but the emotion, beauty and purity are certainly there. There was a compilation album released YEARS ago called "Piano Two" where several artists (Yanni and Ciani involved) played some of their more popular, synth-heavy pieces strictly on the piano, and it is jaw-dropping, particularly Yanni's rendition of "Nostalgia."

Satie is a complicated guy (as most composers tend to be.) He captured some really raw emotion that isn't easily replicated accurately to what one finds strictly on the sheets; the performer inexorably becomes a part of his works. "Gymnopédie No.1" is always a shameless joy of mine; I want to learn to play it, but I feel it'd require a sense of contentedness I can't say I have, so I completely understand when you talk about playing "honestly;" not weird at all.
Ooh, am quite liking what I've heard from Yanni so far, especially the part that kicks off after about halfway through Nostalgia to the end! Just tried having a go myself, and the timing is throwing me off because my muscle memory keeps wanting to put just one more note in the tinkly loop. It's definitely messing with subconscious expectations, which hopefully, with enough practice, can be shaken off now they've been identified. That greek symbol notation technique of theirs sounds perfectly apt for their style, may have to try different approaches like that to see what works best.
Yeah, the more I read of Satie, the more interesting they become. Perhaps with age comes more contentment, but it's not something I'd hold my breath on Nono, bad xsjadoblayde, must stay positive...happy warm fuzzy festive thoughts, candy floss and puppy kittens! *Phew* Almost fell in the hole again.

There's a game tavern song music by composer Kirill Pokrovsky (now mysteriously dead, the inconsiderate fool!) for Divinity Original Sin I been trying to perfect for in time for festive celebrations, but there's only sheet music and a nifty youtube cover to learn from so far. Every now and then there's a bit of surprise musical talent cropping up in games that should be embraced, though unfortunately too late in this case, and with no video of the original either! But it is a bit of a fun one to play.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Where's Bayonetta 3? It got announced back in 2017 and with nothing to show! I really wish a lot of game companies would stop doing this. It's a teaser trailer one year and radio silence anywhere from three to seven years. Most western publishers and developers have toned this down, but the Japanese still do this a lot.
Hanging out with Half Life 3 and Portal 3 and Left for Dead 3 in the room of "Games with 3s in their titles which are gonna get made someday, we swear". I feel your pain, man.

Mother 3 kind of counts because it was never released in NA, but the internet has made it available so not really.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Back 4 Blood is pretty much L4D 3 all but in name. So at least we get that and World War Z.
I've heard that and it looks pretty good. It's just sad that Valve couldn't be bothered to do it. Also, I needed another 3 for my "third games that have been hanging out in the ether forever" list.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've heard that and it looks pretty good. It's just sad that Valve couldn't be bothered to do it. Also, I needed another 3 for my "third games that have been hanging out in the ether forever" list.
Back then, I knew Valve would not do a Left 4 Dead 3, because they kept putting off Half-Life 3. And with them finally starting Steam, I had the feeling that I would just have to play another zombie game to fulfill that itch. If there's any good news, most of the people working on Back 4 Blood used to work for Valve.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Hanging out with Half Life 3 and Portal 3 and Left for Dead 3 in the room of "Games with 3s in their titles which are gonna get made someday, we swear". I feel your pain, man.

Mother 3 kind of counts because it was never released in NA, but the internet has made it available so not really.
You can add Mega Man Legends 3 to that list as well. Maybe triphobia is more common in the game industry.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Another petty gripe.

MMO evangelists. You know who I'm talking about. The dude(ette) who is really into their chosen MMO(FFXIV is the one I see the most) and wants you to play it too. And wants you to know that if they can make time to play it, anyone can, despite not knowing your life or how your game schedule works.

Recently ran across one because I mused that I should use a plot summery to get some context for a FFXIV parody(RABTOONs, if you're wondering) on the youtubes and was told by a fan I needed to play the game instead.

An MMO that takes at least 100 hours to get through the storyline. Or I could spend about an hour or less checking out plot summaries on youtube to get the story beats, which seems a lot more efficient for someone who does not particularly care for MMOs(I've tried a few and couldn't really get into any of them).

Also, on that same point, from what I'm seeing, FFXIV is just regurgitated plot points from previous FF games but strung out a hell of a lot longer then any of the SP games....and you have to herd cats(get a group together) to run the dungeons and as someone who has played or at least knows the plots to the other games, this does not impress me much. Why people praise FFXIV's plot to high heaven is beyond me(unless MMO fans are really starved for good narrative or something).

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
There's this annoying trend on Facebook where people either plaster random inspiring quotes onto pictures of characters that are so completely unfitting (like the Arthur Fleck Joker) or editing screenshots of movies to insert a quote that most definitely did not come from that scene or even that movie. It doesn't bother me so much but I do have to wonder why people even like this kind of "content".

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I got called back to work in the office until the 24th, I'm simultaneously really angry about how inconsiderate my boss is since he could have called someone that was in the city and refused to accept my declining of this, and said he would mark me down for it and if I missed it they would fire me (Hooray for Capitalism!), but at the same time I'm kinda really relieved I'm not at my parents house anymore and I don't have to listen to my mom's political rants and her passive aggressive comments about me being insane, gay or whatever she feels like complaining about like I get it mom I have issues that's why I'm seeing a therapist so shut the fuck up OK?!

So yes I'm somehow really angry and kinda happy and relieved at the same time, besides all this rage distracts me from the horrifying existential depression I've been spiralling into all year, probably all my life TBH.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I demand that the white man stop making me use latinx. They have no right to impose their gender neutrality on my language.

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
I demand that the white man stop making me use latinx. They have no right to impose their gender neutrality on my language.
The idiots trying to bring this great idea here noticed that using "x" is dumb, so they try to force the use of "e" instead. It's really dumb, it's great, I love it.