CNN Insider admits hyping death toll of Covid to drive ratings.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I said bulling. As in bullshitting me. I know the media has huge issues, but Fox News is way worse. My family and I survived by having fucking commons sense, and we continue to do so. You can't convince me otherwise, because I've stopped listening.
I'm not bullshitting anyone, everything is there in the video I linked of top doctors talking pretty much about the entire pandemic from the start to now. You don't have to listen to me, listen to the actual experts. The left media is just as bad as Fox news. It's just that many republicans and Fox news come off as cartoonishly evil, the left is just as bad but without the cartoonish-ness so at face value CNN or whoever looks way better than Fox when they really aren't. Here's a top HIV doctor talking about the covid variants and saying literally "variants, shmariants" because the variants don't mean much of anything, they aren't some scary thing to fear like the news makes them out to be. Here's a video about censorship of medical information during the pandemic; doctors are scared to talk about things because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Not listening to people is how we've gotten to this point where everyone ignores the other side, I'm on neither side because each side is really just the same side of the coin in reality. Even the people that think the election was rigged have legit and good points to make about (other things) if you actually listen to them instead of "cancelling" them. I have a couple super republican friends that think that Trump won the election but a lot of what they say about other things usually has a nugget of rationality to it usually surrounded by a bunch of shit that gets layered on by the news media they consume but if you can get to and find that nugget, you can actually have a legit conversation, reach some common ground and compromise and whatnot. And that's what is completely lacking in America right now.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Very few people actually want to see anyone dead.
Considering the virulence of anti-trans hate and some of the death threats me and mine have received just for having opinions, there are certainly enough of them out there to be considered a goddamn problem. And no, you're not going to be the one to reason them out of these positions they did not reason themselves into.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The left media is just as bad as Fox news. It's just that many republicans and Fox news come off as cartoonishly evil, the left is just as bad but without the cartoonish-ness so at face value CNN or whoever looks way better than Fox when they really aren't. Here's a top HIV doctor talking about the covid variants and saying literally "variants, shmariants" because the variants don't mean much of anything, they aren't some scary thing to fear like the news makes them out to be. Here's a video about censorship of medical information during the pandemic; doctors are scared to talk about things because it doesn't fit the narrative.
I did not say the left media is 100% trustworthy or never lies. Regardless, I don't just stick one news source, and second, they ain't the fucking medical experts.

Not listening to people is how we've gotten to this point where everyone ignores the other side, I'm on neither side because each side is really just the same side of the coin in reality.
Yeah. From people in denial of the virus existence, refusing to vaccinations because they fear it makes things worse (the Johnson & Johnson one is the only dangerous vaccination that has been put on pause. The others work fine.), or out of a false sense of "survival of the fittest". Better yet, rather listen to their "big daddy" Trump. About over 40% of Republican refuse to take any vaccinations at all. Period. People like them and you are part of the problem, because you're not listening to me. I wear my mask (they matter big time, regardless of what you think), I keep my fucking distance, and I don't touch something unless I have to, or if I am wearing gloves. I don't need any news source when I got family that are expertise in their fields or high in their medical work. They don't need news sources at all, when they got or know the direct source already. Oh, and common fucking sense and not acting like a bunch of dangerous fools.

Deal with it. You are not an nor the expert, so stop acting like you are or know what's best for everyone. Don't bother responding back to me on this, because you have nothing valuable and is a waste of my time. I will throw you on ignore.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
People like them and you are part of the problem, because you're not listening to me.
Funny how we're supposed to listen, but the people demanding we do so never reciprocate. It's enough to give one the impression this talking point isn't about unity, but appearing above it all.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Not listening to people is how we've gotten to this point...
Right. And across two massive threads you have argued for months after months from a position of utter cluelessness, and listened to pretty much fuck all that you've been told by people who know a great deal better.

So kindly do some badly-needed introspection and don't come back to us unless it's with a lot more humility than you're showing now.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I'm still trying to figure out why I need to trust youtube doctors over most worldwide medical institutions.

Like, even if the YouTube doctor ends up being right, you understand how that's a tough sell, right?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm still trying to figure out why I need to trust youtube doctors over most worldwide medical institutions.
You don't need to figure it out when you're right in the first place.

The attraction of YouTube doctors is that they have much more liberty to be "fun" and self-market themselves without a lot of baggage that normal doctors have, like working for institutions that have reputations to look after, have their work officially peer reviewed and scrutinised, etc. The other attraction of course is that lots of people (especially these days) are suspicious of institutions, systems, "The Man": they are often austere, impersonal, aloof. A friendly seeming guy on a YouTube channel though, he's likeable. He's funny, he says he cares, he has witty put-downs of his opponents. Who cares whether what he says is true: it's not like the lay audience has any clue.

But what the lay audience do know is they like that vlogger, and they don't like that guy in a suit who has to do the difficult work of overseeing studies, writing reports, going to committees and having to make tough decisions on the evidence available. And we all know people are inclined to back the person they find most likeable, sympathetic, and entertaining.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The other attraction of course is that lots of people (especially these days) are suspicious of institutions, systems, "The Man": they are often austere, impersonal, aloof.
A significant share of institutions are also grossly manipulative and prone to dispensing bullshit.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
A significant share of institutions are also grossly manipulative and prone to dispensing bullshit.
No YouTube guttersnipe huckster gets my benefit of the doubt before the CSIRO or the Department of Health. Not even on a cold day in hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
No YouTube guttersnipe huckster gets my benefit of the doubt the the CSIRO or the Department of Health. Not even on a cold day in hell.
Those two are generally better than most institutions, especially as it comes to health.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The attraction of YouTube doctors is that they have much more liberty to be "fun" and self-market themselves without a lot of baggage that normal doctors have, like working for institutions that have reputations to look after, have their work officially peer reviewed and scrutinised, etc. The other attraction of course is that lots of people (especially these days) are suspicious of institutions, systems, "The Man": they are often austere, impersonal, aloof. A friendly seeming guy on a YouTube channel though, he's likeable. He's funny, he says he cares, he has witty put-downs of his opponents. Who cares whether what he says is true: it's not like the lay audience has any clue.
Then they're selfish damn fools who want only "fun" over the truth or for the sake of convenience. They don't care as long as they're not affected and will only think for themselves (or claim they do), because the "funny" person told them. The "edge" they seek is just another cog in the machine with a false smile. No different than this:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That's not exactly a one or the other situation. Phoenix's youtube doctors are generally much closer to agreeing with worldwide medical institutions than the people scolding Phoenix are.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
...the Johnson & Johnson one is the only dangerous vaccination that has been put on pause...
This is, ironically, an exact case of the phenomenon criticized by this very thread.

The J&J vaccine is linked to CVST in less than one million cases per vaccine administered. The medical community knows in which subset of the population it's likely to occur, and have a strong understanding of its mechanism of action due to its similarities with occurrence of CVST in women taking certain forms of hormonal birth control. Ergo, what has been identified is a set of contra-indicators, upon which an advisory to not issue the vaccine to post-puberty, pre-menopausal, women or those taking post-menopausal HRT, should have been issued rather than a pause in administration.

Just for the sake of comparison, the occurrence of anaphylaxis in annual flu vaccination is approximately 1.1 per million doses administered. This, however, is considered safe because that side effect's mechanism of action is well-understood and the subset of population in which it occurs (people with egg allergies) has been identified. The result being, an advisory that people with egg allergies should be monitored for thirty minutes after receiving the vaccine to ensure they have immediate assistance should they go into anaphylactic shock.

The rate of anaphylaxis associated with mRNA vaccines is ten times higher than that of the flu (11.1 per million doses), yet somehow this is "completely safe".

What the media did, was take the J&J story and go buck wild with it, framing the vaccine's side effect in sensationalist terms and the vaccine itself as somehow hazardous to the general public, and in a contextual vacuum, rather than report on it honestly and impartially. Much in the same way as the media reported on the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine with its 6.5 cases of thrombosis per million doses administered, in an identified subset of the population with an understood mechanism of action, which has led to widespread fear of that vaccine and refusals to take it among the public based upon largely unsubstantiated fears.

Oh by the way, Pfizer's advertising budget is approximately five times greater than Johnson & Johnson's or AstraZeneca's. But dare I suggest private media corporations that are only accountable to shareholders, would sacrifice integrity and fairness in reporting for profit. Now, excuse me while I watch talking heads on MSNBC whinge about Medicare-for-All in the middle of a global pandemic, in between big pharma commercials.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Then they're selfish damn fools who want only "fun" over the truth or for the sake of convenience. They don't care as long as they're not affected and will only think for themselves (or claim they do), because the "funny" person told them. The "edge" they seek is just another cog in the machine with a false smile. No different than this:
I think the fundamental characteristic of many of these vloggers is simply that they have a much greater need for attention than the average person: their videos are implicitly screaming "PLEASE NOTICE ME!" Some of course are effetively advertising for their web businesses.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Oh by the way, Pfizer's advertising budget is approximately five times greater than Johnson & Johnson's or AstraZeneca's. But dare I suggest private media corporations that are only accountable to shareholders, would sacrifice integrity and fairness in reporting for profit. Now, excuse me while I watch talking heads on MSNBC whinge about Medicare-for-All in the middle of a global pandemic, in between big pharma commercials.
One of the things I find perpetually so hard to quite grasp is how many have been shitting over AstraZeneca so much: the only company that is supplying its covid-19 vaccine at cost.

AZ has probably got some flak in Europe simply because of Brexit ill-feling and many EU countries wanting a punching bag to distract from their sluggish vaccine rollout.
But bearing in mind the above, I cannot help but wonder. Many companies stand to make tens of billions of dollars each out of the vaccine, and that includes the Gamaleya and Sinovac ones. It seems very convenient that so much overhyped fear is focused on the two cheapest and most logistically simple of the Western vaccines.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
But bearing in mind the above, I cannot help but wonder. Many companies stand to make tens of billions of dollars each out of the vaccine, and that includes the Gamaleya and Sinovac ones. It seems very convenient that so much overhyped fear is focused on the two cheapest and most logistically simple of the Western vaccines.
Not to mention how Pfizer's already been caught several times with its pants down planning how to monetize the vaccine post-deployment, up to and including known-to-be-ineffective, costly, and even potentially hazardous "booster" shots. Or, celebrating how uncontrolled variant spread will lead to making vaccines for them, meaning more profits. Unsurprising coming from the consistently least ethical and most reckless pharmaceutical company in the whole-ass industry, but it damn well should have been an eye-opener to the American public.

I can only speak for myself, but when asked if I'd be getting the Pfizer vaccine, my own words were "I'd rather have a COVID patient cough in my face".

And, speaking to that, they're not just the cheapest and logistically simple of the vaccines. They're the two with the longest and safest track records. Adenovirus carrier vaccines at least had successful clinical trials before the COVID outbreak. To say I have questions about the level of safety, oversight, and accountability of the mRNA vaccine trials is...quite the understatement.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Considering the virulence of anti-trans hate and some of the death threats me and mine have received just for having opinions, there are certainly enough of them out there to be considered a goddamn problem. And no, you're not going to be the one to reason them out of these positions they did not reason themselves into.
The amount of people that legit hate trans people and want them dead are a very small percentage. To completely "cancel" say half the country because of those select few people is not healthy.

I did not say the left media is 100% trustworthy or never lies. Regardless, I don't just stick one news source, and second, they ain't the fucking medical experts.

Yeah. From people in denial of the virus existence, refusing to vaccinations because they fear it makes things worse (the Johnson & Johnson one is the only dangerous vaccination that has been put on pause. The others work fine.), or out of a false sense of "survival of the fittest". Better yet, rather listen to their "big daddy" Trump. About over 40% of Republican refuse to take any vaccinations at all. Period. People like them and you are part of the problem, because you're not listening to me. I wear my mask (they matter big time, regardless of what you think), I keep my fucking distance, and I don't touch something unless I have to, or if I am wearing gloves. I don't need any news source when I got family that are expertise in their fields or high in their medical work. They don't need news sources at all, when they got or know the direct source already. Oh, and common fucking sense and not acting like a bunch of dangerous fools.

Deal with it. You are not an nor the expert, so stop acting like you are or know what's best for everyone. Don't bother responding back to me on this, because you have nothing valuable and is a waste of my time. I will throw you on ignore.
How is Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, Dr. Paul Offit, Dr. Peter Hotez not experts? Just look at their credentials. Dr. Paul Offit is literally the very top vaccine expert in the US.

Johnson and Johnson vaccine is not dangerous and was been paused for no good reason honestly (in the video that you didn't watch). The people it will save in rural areas that don't have the refrigeration for the mRNA vaccines is massive. Also, 0 people 65+ have had the blood clot side effect of those adenovirus vaccines and they are very susceptible to covid so how is pausing them a good thing? I'm pro-mask, but there is literally no definitive data showing that they actually work. It's a better safe than sorry approach basically.

I never said I was expert, I post what actual experts have said. These are not my opinions, they are the opinions of experts.

Shutting out people is not very healthy. I've literally never put anyone on ignore anywhere. I don't even know why you post half the time becuase when anyone says anything different than you, you just shut them out every single time.

Right. And across two massive threads you have argued for months after months from a position of utter cluelessness, and listened to pretty much fuck all that you've been told by people who know a great deal better.

So kindly do some badly-needed introspection and don't come back to us unless it's with a lot more humility than you're showing now.
I do listen to people that know better than me. Are you gonna argue that you know better than Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, Dr. Paul Offit, Dr. Peter Hotez?

Like, even if the YouTube doctor ends up being right, you understand how that's a tough sell, right?
How are Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, Dr. Paul Offit, Dr. Peter Hotez "youtube" doctors? Just because they get interviewed doesn't make them "youtube" doctors, they don't even have youtube channels. Dr. Fauci is in way more youtube videos than these doctors so I guess Fauci is a "youtube" doctor too.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
The amount of people that legit hate trans people and want them dead are a very small percentage. To completely "cancel" say half the country because of those select few people is not healthy.
1. There are enough of them for it to be a problem. It doesn't stop being a problem just because you personally aren't effected. Get over yourself.
2. Don't give me that "cancel culture" bullshit because you have no idea what I and people like me are actually doing. Get over yourself.
3. My point stands that you cannot reason with unreasonable people. Get over yourself.

I'm sick to death of being told I need to compromise on the human rights of my loved ones, but the same bigots you insist have some reasonable points to make aren't required to compromise on anything or even listen to anyone.

Last edited: