Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Hamas-ISIS? But ISIS are Sunni fanatics who hate Shiites, possibly more than they hate non-Muslims. How does that make sense with the fact that Hamas is widely backed by Iran, which is the bastion of Shiites?

Much of the Israeli PR is utter, childish drivel. It's like they let a bunch of crazies take over.

Oh, wait, they DID let a bunch of crazies take over.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Hamas-ISIS? But ISIS are Sunni fanatics who hate Shiites, possibly more than they hate non-Muslims. How does that make sense with the fact that Hamas is widely backed by Iran, which is the bastion of Shiites?
Oh that is easy. Through the last week some Israelis had the bright idea to repurpose the Anti-Isis-coalition and their frameworks against Hamas. Because everyone hates Isis, even a lot of rather pro-Palestinensian actors. Since then these statements pop up.

Not that Israel in particular ever did much about Isis.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I feel like lefties have gone from "punch all nazies" to "ok, hear me out..."

Reactions: BrawlMan

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

Apparently Israel accidentally bombed some of their own soldiers.

Israeli army may not be ready for this.

Edit: the best thing that can happened here is the Israeli army suffers a major defeat, and is forced to back off. This is sadly wishful thinking

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

More disturbing than the idea that Israel is targeting journalists is the idea that they've achieved these kinds of numbers on accident.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Why are they still releasing supposed 'phone calls' in stereo format? It's like they want people to know it's fake.
I don't know how the technology for intercepting calls works, but there's a logic to having the two side of the conversation come into two different audio channels so the person listening can discern what noises come from which side. If I were listening in on someone, I would appreciate this feature.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Why are they still releasing supposed 'phone calls' in stereo format? It's like they want people to know it's fake.
Wait. What "proof" is this? Who are these people on the call? Are these not possibly just two random Gazan civilians, and that's just some guy spouting rumours he heard trying to sound clever?

Although, frankly, if Hamas have their HQs in tunnel complexes under the ground, I would not be surprised if they are under hospitals, universities, etc. either. I think they know perfectly well the PR value of forcing Israel to destroy such targets to get to them, and I don't think they have much respect for the niceties of separating military and civilian infrastructure. But then, an organisation like Hamas in such asymmetrical warfare may well have a lot less interested in the West's notions of "civilised" war, because those notions just hand even more advantages to Israel.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Wait. What "proof" is this? Who are these people on the call? Are these not possibly just two random Gazan civilians, and that's just some guy spouting rumours he heard trying to sound clever?
Arabic-speakers that I've seen comment have said that this 'phone call' seems to be a performance by people that don't speak like Gazans (as with earlier releases of 'intercepted phone calls' by Israel). And the fact that it is separated into different audio channels indicates at least some audio manipulation. But you're right, even if genuine its probative value would be questionable.

I don't know how the technology for intercepting calls works, but there's a logic to having the two side of the conversation come into two different audio channels so the person listening can discern what noises come from which side. If I were listening in on someone, I would appreciate this feature.
It nevertheless undercuts the credibility of these recordings quite a bit because it means that the audio has necessarily been manipulated. Israel's purpose in releasing these seems to be to satisfy the people who really want to believe them and just about no one else.

Although, frankly, if Hamas have their HQs in tunnel complexes under the ground, I would not be surprised if they are under hospitals, universities, etc. either. I think they know perfectly well the PR value of forcing Israel to destroy such targets to get to them, and I don't think they have much respect for the niceties of separating military and civilian infrastructure. But then, an organisation like Hamas in such asymmetrical warfare may well have a lot less interested in the West's notions of "civilised" war, because those notions just hand even more advantages to Israel.
By now Hamas is certainly under no illusions about Israel being willing to target literally anything. Technically, there is "Hamas" in al-Shifa hospital as that is where Gaza's Health Ministry operates from and Hamas runs the government. Much like the offices of the CDC and NIH are notable for containing Yankee imperialist scum and are therefore universally acknowledged to be perfectly acceptable military targets.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Israel has a message for Gaza. After they bombed their internet and other telecommunications. So I guess it's for our benefit, not Gaza's.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
are we seriously still stuck on "criticism of any and all Israel government violence against civilian minorities makes you a nazi" fallacy even after all this time?
Have you not been seeing the fawning support of pretty much anything that hamas does? They are really close to calling for the extermination of anyone who isn't Palestinian. I'll bet all those nazies that were getting banned from social media awhile back are wishing they had gone from "exterminate all the jews to" "exterminate all the jews to liberate palistine."

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Have you not been seeing the fawning support of pretty much anything that hamas does? They are really close to calling for the extermination of anyone who isn't Palestinian. I'll bet all those nazies that were getting banned from social media awhile back are wishing they had gone from "exterminate all the jews to" "exterminate all the jews to liberate palistine."