Console Gaming

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
I think what I just saw was three very different personalities running full-tilt into one of those walls that they won't surmount. Yahtzee said something about how getting physical pulls him out of the experience, while Bob was pointing out that it drew him further in. Somehow, that doesn't surprise me.

I've seen pictures of both of these Internet personalities (I'm sure you all have too), and I've noticed that Yahtzee is kind of small. He's thin, almost frail looking. Whereas Bob (much like myself) is just a big dude. Not really overweight, at least not medically (please note that I'm projecting, he may well have more than simple cosmetic weight problems, but he doesn't seem to, at least to me), but just big.

Over-generalization inbound: small guys tend to be less physical than big guys. Yahtzee reminds me of one of my close friends in terms of body type and this friend hates doing physical stuff, prefers mental stimulation. I'm much bigger than he is (taller, heavier, all around bigger) and I tend to prefer physical stimulation to mental.

Perhaps this is where the conversation falls apart, when people fail to take into account purely physical features and body types. Something I've noticed is that I love the Wii. I don't necessarily prefer it to my PS2, per se, but I seek a different kind of stimulation from it. My friend, the one who reminds me of Yahtzee, hates the Wii. He can't stand it, he complains that it's less immersive and less interesting.

I don't know if I'm making a point here, but it just kind of struck me as interesting that these two people who are so very, very different physically hold such very, very different views on something physical.

On a completely unrelated note, it kind of felt like the conversation was really just between Bob and Yahtzee, and James was kind of just....there. This makes me a sad panda. :<

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
is itjust me or is yathzee secretly dreaming of the matrix interface or the direct neural plug in system of otherlands or various anime shows? but in all fairness that would be cool.
still shocked tho that it took em up to page 3 to disagree - sofar id say the insurance overheads if this was a RL meeting would be at about 3$ pw :p

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
@ RagnaorakTres
mate i agree that there are those 2 types of players, probably various shades in between but i disagree with the idea that its related to ur own physical form.
consider this, im a gym monkey and i work a fairly hard physical job but still id agree with yathzee that gaming for me is to relax, if i wanna do sports i do sports i dont turn on my computer or ps3 :p

none the less some valid points there

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Irridium said:
Will you be switching out contributors as time goes on? Maybe get some discussion with the dudes from LRR or perhaps Shamus Young?
or, say, Lisa Foiles

lolwut

awesome read, I now feel.... enlightened

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
i think i agreed with yahtzee the most. that's new.

but i like this whole collaboration of the minds idea. it's interesting.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Dear Escapist, what would you consider your best source of positive reinforcement? Because I want you to continue this behavior.

Yeah, you know, oddly that doesn't really do much for me. So you might want to rethink your approach.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
ZOMG! I've been begging for this for months, and it's finally here!! Would have liked for them all to actually sit in a room and talk while you film/animate it, but I understand that's next to impossible with locations. Maybe a phone conference?

It was and interesting discussion, just what I was expecting. James (you need a nickname, you stand out) would be the optimist, the idealist talking about the grand possibilities of games as a media. Yahtzee would be the pessimist bringing everybody down to earth and then stomping them into it. And Moviebob would be the logical one, keeping the two others from ripping apart one another while managing to provoke intelligent thought. For the record I'm with Yahtzee.

And I find it funny how they've all previously praised each other. Will be interesting if they keep these high opinions.

Would have liked it as an animated phone conference though, I'm just so used to hearing their voices (except for James of course) and the animation would probably be hilarious.

For a topic suggestion, how about what you think about the escapist and each other's work?

Keep it coming, finally!!

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Great read. I really like this concept, and I hope to see more in the future.

Emphasis on "more". Perhaps it's just me, but the discussion seemed to end too abruptly. I feel like more could be said on the subject, though I'm not sure what, exactly. Of course, I suppose you need to be concise with this sort of format. Also, James was barely there.

At any rate, it was very interesting, and it would be great if this were a regular feature with different Escapists. Of course, I wouldn't complain if you stuck with Bob, Yahtzee, and James, either.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
There is a diochotomy underlying this debate that Yahtzee just touched upon lightly in his last reply:

The division between a 'GAME' and 'VIRTUAL REALITY'

In a game, the gamer is conscious of the fact that he is controlling the avatar. In virtual reality the gamer IS THE AVATAR. Now granted we haven't really seen virtual reality yet, but that's exactly what the Wii is moving towards. Why go to the gym to play racquetball when you can do it in your own home. In this scenario, the gamer REALLY IS playing a VIRTUAL VERSION of racquetball, NOT a SIMULATION of racquetball.

Will VR kill normal gaming? I don't think so. People who play Star Craft are still going to play Star Craft. They're conscious that they're playing a game, and furthermore, they don't care about feeling like they're "in the action," quite the opposite in fact.

Thus I see the gaming community going in two directions. One will the the VR simulators for casual gamers that will be part of the family entertainment system (i.e. it will also provide netflix, TiVo, internet, all connected throughout the house). The hardcore games will come on consoles.

PC gaming will be die because the PC will die. Well... it won't die, it'll just be spread throughout the house. The PC gamers will just move over to consoles, and the console will probably have keyboard accessories etc, so it'll work more or less like a PC.

The consoles will really be attachments to the integrated home system, that allows one to use it for the more hardcore games.

TL;DR version: technology will integrate such the lines between hardware will blur completely, thus making the terms 'PC' and 'Console' rather obsolete.

Those are my predictions.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
Ooooh, me likes! Me likes muuuch muuuch!

Anyway, are we going to have one of these every week now? The announcement at the end made it look like that would happen.

Please make that happen... *.*

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Don't care enough about console gaming in general to read four pages of opinions. Something more controversial or even worth discussing would be more appropriate...or put them in a Skype call.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
The only way this could be any better is if we heard them discuss it vocally.

Maybe even with animations that represent each of them.

(I may or may not be thinking of something in the same style as The Ricky Gervais Show.)

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Yeah, you know, oddly that doesn't really do much for me. So you might want to rethink your approach.

This is pretty much the most brilliant idea ever. I am so very excited to see more.

TheMich88

Oct 19, 2009
This new idea is extremely, extremely, EXTREMELY cool. The only way it could be cooler is...

Irridium said:
... Maybe get some discussion with the dudes from LRR or perhaps Shamus Young?
Exactly. I think Shamus Young, in particular, could contribute a LOT to these conversations.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Haha, that was brilliant! If you could set up a regular segment in which different contributors participate to talk about different issues in gaming, then that'd be sweet!

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
That was pretty awesome.

We need MOAR.

And i totally agree with the whole "moving about takes you out of the experience" thing.