Console Vs. P.C. (no, not like that...)

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
MW2 PC is better than the console versions, mainly because of mouse + keyboard control. The reason for all the hate is that they very easily could have made it better.

But with a good PC and a USB controller (for non-FPS/RTS/MMO games), you're pretty much set. Communities for games always tend to be better on PC than anywhere else, and you'll find that most Xbox Live players have either not hit puberty yet or are just frat boys who have the IQ of a cabbage.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
hamster mk 4 said:
Xanadu84 said:
*snip*

Doesn't mean the hypothesis is wrong, just that this study doesn't support your hypothesis.

Man, I miss my research project in performance in fighting games...
Yeah I posed this after I read the reference to the Isokoski and Martin (2007) study, but before I finished reading the entire article. I should note this study does not take into consideration target aquisition times, only accuracy. It would be interesting to do a study on just target aquisition time.

Results showed the gamers correctly and accurately designated twice as many targets as the pilots when using the more familiar PS2 controller. Gamers also hit more targets overall across devices. However, the PS2 controller yielded the least number of hits across devices for both groups.
Looks like the 2007 study does take that into account. Sadly, the only copy of the study I can find requires a login. But if your ambitious, you can at least see teh abstract here
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1255104&dl=GUIDE&coll=GUIDE&CFID=71229064&CFTOKEN=86393306

lyricalvagabond

Apr 26, 2009
VioletZer0 said:
Sebenko said:
Console: Hello, I am a Console.

PC: And I am a PC.

Console: You know what is really nice about consoles? We're more stab- RROD

PC: Sure, now go play with the other- *POWER SUPPLY FAILURE*
Fixed again :p
Pro tip: Don't buy your gaming PC from the local Kwik-E-Mart.

Xanadu84 said:
VioletZer0 said:
*snip*
PC: Whatever the case, if you are willing to do some research and are comfortable with working on my inner components, get a PC.

Console: If you are a busy person, don't feel comfortable with working on electronics or just can't be arsed to research, I am your best option.
Bravo. This is one of the most fair and even handed approaches to the PC/Console war I have ever seen.
For PC there is the 2nd option--whereby you know nothing about electronics and have completed zero research--of purchasing a pre-built high-end PC such as Alienware, iBuyPower, or other brands available from electronics retailers. Of course, that route will cost you 3-5 times the amount of cash it would require to build the same machine on your own... but you get the so-called convenience of technical support, and in the case of a brick-and-mortar retailer, a product monkey to help you pick out "the PC that's just right for you".

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
My philosophy is "Regardless of the means of being able to play games and despite their glitches and whatnot we all love games."

Sep 14, 2009
VioletZer0 said:
Sebenko said:

PC: Sure, now go play ERROR ! : #)($#@$)9342344324k234 go to *insert name here* support

*click link for support* "page will not open"

*google* "no results were found"

Console: Oh hello, i was fixed and am playing perfectly now, how bout you?

PC: what the fuck is this error, i more than meet the requirements..the installation took over an hour..why isn't this working?!!? too much time spent on trying to make it work than actually playing...

fixed, again

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
PC online kicks ass. But COD: MW2 and L4D2 are the WORST online experiences you will have on PC. Well gameplay might be good but how to get there and the lack of freedom is waaaaay to consoleish :/

gmaverick019 said:
VioletZer0 said:
Sebenko said:

PC: Sure, now go play ERROR ! : #)($#@$)9342344324k234 go to *insert name here* support

*click link for support* "page will not open"

*google* "no results were found"

Console: Oh hello, i was fixed and am playing perfectly now, how bout you?

PC: what the fuck is this error, i more than meet the requirements..the installation took over an hour..why isn't this working?!!? too much time spent on trying to make it work than actually playing...

fixed, again

Console: Console: You know what is really nice about consoles? We're more stab- RROD

PC: Sucks to be him, want to go play games? Maybe extend your games life by making or downloading a mod? I see you have installed another GPU, go ahead and raise your AA friend.

Console: I'm baaaack! RROD

PC: You need to update your drivers to run this game properly. Oh and I have this error 8x00013.

*google* Oh you need to download a hotfix from MS.

*downloading* FIXED!

*downloading drivers update*

*Playing games*

Fixed, again.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Cargin said:
SikOseph said:
The PC route isn't a quick fix. It's a choice that will definitely rvolutionise the way you play FPS.
if u are referring to adapting to a mouse and keyboard interface, i was planning to buy an xbox controler for pc, cos i suck at mouse and keyboard.
If you're going to play online, which was the hole point of this thread, then you are never going to win with an xbox controller.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
I'd post advice but if I say something in favour of the Xbox, I'll most likely be called be insulted, called a jock, fuckwit, 'Halo Lover', or be between the age of 7 and 12.

Onyx Oblivion said:
The Xbox Live community suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.
Timbydude said:
MW2 Xbox Live players have either not hit puberty yet or are just frat boys who have the IQ of a cabbage.
James_Sunderland said:
I don't like taking sides, but remeber that Xbox-live is the home of Halo-fanboys and other fucktwits like them.
Kazturkey said:
PC is better, but devs are moving more and more toward consoles because that's where the halo fanboy fuckwits are, and there are a lot of them willing to buy ANYTHING that their fuckwit buddies say is like halo.
Phenakist said:
Ever since the latest wave of screaming 12 years olds arrived on Xbox live I havn't touched any multiplayer with forced voice chat, so naturally my game time-level on MW2 has suffered because of that, effectivly being forced to play game types with lower point hauls per game and unable to play any other gamemode comfortably without having to go to the bother of muting EVERYONE in the game.

So In short, get it for PC, console only gamers on the whole are loud mouthed idiots who have no sense of good sportsmanship, and have no form of social skills to get along with people in games unable to accept the fact that someone beat them.

Plus the only trash talking on the PC is all in good fun and if anyone's serious about it they usually have a semi-reasonable argument.. Oh and most importantly their balls have dropped...
Eternal_24 said:
XBL is full of jerk offs and it's really not even worth the £40 you pay. If your PC can handle the games then go with PC. Dedicated servers + no 7 year olds trash talking because you beat them = Better online experience.
Maybe you should take a lesson from this guy...

Cosplay Horatio said:
My philosophy is "Regardless of the means of being able to play games and despite their glitches and whatnot we all love games."

blobby218

Aug 24, 2009
p.c is all right, but it's like click,click yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyawn!

besides there's more releases on xbox and some computer games you can get on xbox such as l4d2 and tf2

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
SikOseph said:
Cargin said:
SikOseph said:
The PC route isn't a quick fix. It's a choice that will definitely rvolutionise the way you play FPS.
if u are referring to adapting to a mouse and keyboard interface, i was planning to buy an xbox controler for pc, cos i suck at mouse and keyboard.
Whatever you do, don't do it! You'll learn the mouse and keyboard in about 10 hours and after that you'll wonder how you managed with a controller. If you are bent on doing that though, I wouldn't bother with the PC - you'll just be constantly destroyed. Also, that isn't the only thing I meant, there's a richness to PC fps that you just can't replicate with consoles - dedicated servers, actual clan matches, mods, a proper community. It's a different world.
I've been trying to use a mouse and keyboard since I was in seventh grade. I still prefer a controller. The objective opinion "mouse+keyboard is better" is... Well, not objective.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Become an elitist.

Be someone who gets insulted like every other online community.

Become an elitist.

Buy a PC. A proper one.

Be all you can be without an education.

setphaserstostun

Jan 14, 2010
MW2 is not a PC friendly multiplayer. There just isn't the things that make PC gaming great on MW2. Don't stab me for saying this please, but I don't like the game enough to purchase it at all.

setphaserstostun

Jan 14, 2010
Me55enger said:
Become an elitist.

Be someone who gets insulted like every other online community.

Become an elitist.

Buy a PC. A proper one.

Be all you can be without an education.
This would be great if you didn't need a college degree to learn how to work the PC properly. Damn things are getting smarter than we are.

But I agree with you, be an elitist (because you'll deserve it) and buy a PC.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cargin said:
So, whats the general opinion: go the whole hog and get on xbl, or take the pc quickfix?
Getting/setting up Xbox live isn't complicated. But it is expensive to be running that subscription every year as well the bane of MS points.

Getting CoD 2 is much simpler, plus you can probably get it for so little nowadays that even if it doesn't work out you've not lost a significant amount of cash.

Get CoD2 for now.

setphaserstostun

Jan 14, 2010
The Bandit said:
SikOseph said:
Cargin said:
SikOseph said:
Whatever you do, don't do it! You'll learn the mouse and keyboard in about 10 hours and after that you'll wonder how you managed with a controller. If you are bent on doing that though, I wouldn't bother with the PC - you'll just be constantly destroyed. Also, that isn't the only thing I meant, there's a richness to PC fps that you just can't replicate with consoles - dedicated servers, actual clan matches, mods, a proper community. It's a different world.
I've been trying to use a mouse and keyboard since I was in seventh grade. I still prefer a controller. The objective opinion "mouse+keyboard is better" is... Well, not objective.
The only thing that makes a keyboard better, and I say this as a multiplatform gamer is that there are MORE BUTTONS TO USE :D this makes those of us with a lack of patience and foresight to just click a button to use the right skill instead of cycle through shit. Dual sticks is much better for movement usually, however

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
blobby218 said:
besides there's more releases on xbox and some computer games you can get on xbox such as l4d2 and tf2
There are many and vast differences between TF2 xbox and PC, so much so that they are essentially different games now, it's certainly not a good idea to recommend Xbox Live over PC because you 'can' have TF2 on both.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
I would really go by what your friends are playing on, you have the most fun playing with people you can actually converse with instead of the 5 year olds who call you a fag for having a mic in.

EDIT: I'm seeing the general consensus being that EVERYONE on XBL is a little angry kid, but what about me? I'm not like that, and I'm sure most of the people on this site that have XBL aren't like that.