Criticise your favourite game

AdamxD

Mar 5, 2012
I never knew what it was like to have bad karma on Fallout 3. Fawkes was too big of a prize for being nice.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
My favorite games are (most of) the Mass Effect series, so let's go down the list.

ME1: Clunky controls, squad characters weren't all that interesting, way too many armor / ammo combinations. Story was really the only thing keeping me from stopping playing.

ME2: Dodgy cover system, Collectors seemed like a bit of an ass-pull, Human Reaper was a neat idea, but just kind of weird in execution.

ME3: Even dodgier cover system, fewer dialogue options, less variation in dialogue options, no quest tracker, side quests with no substance to them, returning characters shoe-horned in, occasional drop-offs in the quality of the writing, the dreaded ending.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
I honestly can't choose a favorite game of all time, so I'll just pick a good oone.
Baldur's gate had that infuriiating isometric perspective and a multiplayer I could never wrap my head around, plus it's paced like an ant pushing a brick through the desert and level drain is the cheapest tactic this side of mars.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 brought out conflux and had a really fucking cheaty AI who could spontaneously grow a throng of gnolls a single day, plus units were imbalanced as fuck. Playing inferno was basically just an alternate Hard mode.

Fallout: New Vegas gets a bit boring after you've done the ending once or twice, and the main quest loses a lot of its luster after the first time.

Mass Effect 3 - The ending left me just...disappointed, and it all felt very rushed, with less character interactions and moments than the previous games.

Painkiller could be fucking obtuse about where you were supposed to go or what you were supposed to do, plus the story shit itself inside out big timee.

Deus Ex HR: Doing a non-lethal run is nigh-impossible with what little ammo you get, and stealth just feels a bit buggered up the ass, so combining the two blows chunks. Also, yeah, hacking can get you some neat stuff, but honestly, you could do without it. Also, the boss fights are to be fought only in one way, and that's beefy-headed shooty-shoot mode. Would've liked to see...I dunno, hacking a turret to fight for you or sneaking up on them to some cool effect. Something more than just 'insert 10 more bullets into skull to continue'.

Double Dragon 3: It was hard, almost unfairly so, and most bosses were predictable yet cheap. Horrid combo.

Crash Bandicoot: Hm... 1-3 are almost fucking perfect, I honestly can't think of any criticisms for it.

Tombi: Lots of nonsense logic and fetch quests.

That one wu tang clan fighting game for the Playstation: The computer was a cheating bastard and some of the controls were horridly difficult to input at all, much less in the heat of battle. Seriously, pressing square, triangle and circle at the same time? Not unless my thumb suddenly grew an inch or two in width. Also, imbalanced characters.

Duke Nukem 3D: Quite primitive for an FPS.

Unreal Tournament 2004: Graphics could do with an overhaul, otherwise..hm..

Final Fantasy 8: The story was kinda bananas and the junctioning, while interesting, ultimately didn't really work all that well, plus the graphics are outdated.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
Fallout 3: shooting controls are shoddy and animation is not so good
Skyrim: the TERRIBLE AI, pretty much kills stealth
Deus Ex HR: graphics and animations not so good

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Sid Meier's Alpha Centuri has not aged well Graphics wise. Animation is fantastic though. Needs an HD rerelease

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Fable: The Lost Chapters
1. they had to release the entire Fable again with the stuff they originally promised, like the dragon
2. The sequels
those are my only problems with this game, otherwise, it's perfect yn fy marn i

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Red Dead Redemption is too easy on the "normal" difficulty and too hard on "hard". Its also apparently full of bugs (although I've never encountered one) which ruin the game, and I always bump into every doorway with the awkward "GTA IV walking mechanics".

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Persona 4- The intro sequence is too fucking long.
I mean jesus, seriously.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Deus Ex

1. The graphics don't hold up very well, even with mods to improve them.
2. The game's voice acting quality varies wildly, especially whenever characters have foreign accents like in China or Paris.
3. Some of the skills and augmentations in the game are completely pointless (Swimming ftw!)
4. The AI is exceptionally stupid.
5. "A, B, C" ending choices.

And yet it's still my all-time favorite game.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Revolutionaryloser said:
Silent Hill 2. Angela Orosco.

Why is she in this game? I didn't feel like anything you did with her had any meaning. With Eddy it was quite a lot different and you can see all these layers that slowly come off until you finally see how his story concludes.
you kill him

Angela on the other hand just acts like a crazy ***** and none of your conversations seem to have any effect on either of the two characters. She's just depressed and crazy when you meet her and depressed and crazy when you see her for the last time.
presumably she kills herself. no thanks to you

It's not even as if she couldn't have fit into the story, it could have been done if she weren't totally aloof with everything you said all the time.
That's interesting, Angela's character is probably one of my favourite elements to the game. I thought there were some subtle implied parallels between her and James. Suicidal thoughts, her back-story (and James' reason for being in the town), I think they share more in common than is first thought.
She too, like Eddy slowly falls apart, just in a different manner. Whereas Eddie turns violent, she passively accepts her fate and...
Given how things can end, like I said, I feel they've something in common.

The Headcrab Farmer

Dec 16, 2010
Stuntman, Y U NO SPLIT SCREEN? I understand it was an early PS2 game but seriously, my dad and I adore it and the sandbox stunt arena was a potential goldmine for choreographed madness!

That and the awfully long loading times. Not fun to try a scene for 15 seconds and then waiting 30-45 sec for the scene to reload and last but not least, WHY NO GOD DAMN SEQUAL!

Oh and Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault? The ragdoll physics was a cool idea but you should have put another month in them, every character just went t-shaped and had the weirdest movement when physicallised.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Half-Life 2 has some below-average driving controls. That's about all that I don't like about the game. It's pretty great in every respect.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Super Mario 64

For the most part, simplistic puzzles. The biggest problem with the game is that while acquiring the power stars themselves is not hard, solving the hint for each one is. This means that when you have discovered all 120 power stars, it is no longer a challenge to find them all again in a new game,even if you haven't played it for years. I learned this the hard way when i played SM64 on the wii's virtual console after playing it thoroughly on the N64 when i was young. Yes, all the magic was there; but i knew every power star location and how to obtain each one. When you first experience the game a lot of the challenge and reward comes from solving the clues and finding hidden stars all by yourself, especially as the internet was not as prevalent as it is today and you couldn't just look up the answers.

Simplistic enemies with very basic AI. This is a pitfall of the era, though; there wasn't much enemies could do except chase you down and try to bump into you. This was remedied somewhat by enemy variety - for example, boo ghosts who turned invisible when faced and had to be defeated sneakily, flying shy-guys that swooped down suddenly, suicidal bob-ombs and so on. Enemies were generally easily avoidable and easily defeated. This is contradictory to previous mario games where the slightest touch of an enemy would end your life, as you now had a very generous life bar that was easily refilled by the numerous coins throughout the level that were almost always in view and close at hand.

The occasionally aggravating camera caused problems particularly on levels that required careful navigation - one area of grievance for me was trying to safely pass or attack piranha plants, as the camera sometimes freaked out which resulted in bumping into the plant and losing a stack of health, or missing a jump because the camera angle made it difficult to judge.

The disappointing absence of Luigi. This is offset somewhat by the pleasantly surprising guest appearance of Yoshi on the castle roof, should you attain all 120 power stars.

Prtyclever1337

Jul 29, 2009
Final Fantasy Tactics gets mind-numbingly easy in the third act, and a little bit more interaction with the world would have been nice instead of the entire game being combat. Also, some of the jobs are just useless.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
My favorite game has somewhat limited replayability, and barely has any kind of story.

Left 4 Dead 2

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
chinangel said:
i have been thinking a bit, about my favourite FF game: FF9. During this i realized something...there are a few small things about this game that annoy me. it doesn't ruin the game as a whole, but it does bug me a fair bit.

For example.

Quina. Why do you exist? When has a blue mage ever been useful in ff? They're annoying and gimicky and not very useful, and usually weird as hell. Please Quina...go away. You scare me. You and your 4 foot tongue and unblinking gaze.

Vivi's ultimate spell. I think it's doomdsday, but i'm not sure. Either way it smashes the enemy with massive meteors. AND YOUR PARTY! I have tried several tactics to protect myself but ultimately they fail. Why Vivi? AIM! AAAAAAAAAAAIM! It's a giant flippin meteor, this isn't...rocket...science...
oh shut up.

Lastly, a storyline one. Beatrix and Steiner.

Those of you who look at a picture of beatrix will note that she has an eyepatch, during training, Steiner cut her eye out.

Now, later in the game, steiner and beatrix get together. Ignoring for a moment that I HATE Steiner, Beatrix just seems to be a better choice of character.

I mean think about it, she wants to prove she's the best, but also learns that she has to make her own judgement calls, even when her queen gives her orders. Steiner only learns to make his own choices.

Because of this, Steiner and Beatrix could've easily have been switched. In my opinion, this would've worked well, and they didn't need the part where the two fall in love out of the blue, with no hints at it earlier.

okay i think i'm done.

what about you escapist,
My favorite game is also FFIX.
I hate Quina with a passion. That fat piece of ignorant crap just needs to die. Only time it was useful was in the battle against Lich. It was my meat shield for one attack. then never touched again.

Also your Doomsday problem can be solved with equipment that absorbs Shadow damage. I had Vivi defeat Ozma ALONE with that knowledge. All I needed was shadow absorb and Return magic. He used Doomsday hurting himself and healing me. I countered with Doomsday hurting him and healing me. I used Doomsday hurting him and healing me. Then he went and used it again. Kinda funny.

devilofthemist

Feb 13, 2012
KOTOR the fact that you can't get sith knights to surrender to you, i always wanted the "fuck you, i'm a sith lord" option to get them to join my side