Criticize Something You Love

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Bravely Default: Florem. Sage Yulyana. Yeah, that.

Fire Emblem Awakening: The plot wanders aimlessly in the second act and doesn't do much interesting, and also wastes it's antagonist rather.

Katawa Shoujo: I often wanted to seize Hisao by the lapels and shout at him what he should do in this situation instead of the fuck up he's about to make.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Eddie the head said:
The Mistbourn books kinda had a slow middle. The first book there was a clear bad guy and a clear objective. The second book kind of slowed down with the whole siege thing going on. And the third one ended with some sort of metaphysical bull shit. That felt out of place.
Omg someone else who didn't like those books! *glomp!* Yeah, that book series really ticked me off, especially the end, where Brandon basically used one of the most paper thin religious reactions to having your faith lost, that it made me sick. Especially when you consider that the
The character who had the crisis of faith didn't actually believe any of those religions, he was just a repository of them. He even made a point to SAY he didn't believe them, but kept them for posterity. Then he learns they are wrong, and suddenly can't find the drive to do anything?!? Nothing means anything, so why should I bother? Yeah, that's the bullshit reasoning that a religious person has, how they THINK we atheists see the world. Total crap.

I love the Stormlight Archive, but the Mistbourn series can just die in a fire.

RUSH: Love this band, but they can be a very niche thing. Their music can be odd at times, and only enjoyable because you are a RUSH fan, but trying to get someone to enjoy it is near impossible.

John Scalzi: I love him as a writer, but he uses "He said, she said" WAAAY too much in his conversations. Listening to his audiobooks makes this really apparent.

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
IOwnTheSpire said:
We all have our favourite things, but we should be willing to recognize their faults. Some don't seem able to (looking at you, Star Wars OT fans), but I thought it'd be a fun exercise. I'll get the ball rolling:

Dragon Age Inquisition can be a slog to go through. So much stuff to do, I feel I should do it, but sometimes it gets tedious.
Ode to my penis,
Why are you so shy, dear friend of mine?
Is it the cold winter breeze, preceding Santa's sleigh?
Perhaps it is the internet, crushing your imagination, reducing your ability to the lowest possible function?
Oh penis dear, where is the strength of youth that once was in your step?

Thank you.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
Eddie the head said:
The Mistbourn books kinda had a slow middle. The first book there was a clear bad guy and a clear objective. The second book kind of slowed down with the whole siege thing going on. And the third one ended with some sort of metaphysical bull shit. That felt out of place.
Omg someone else who didn't like those books! *glomp!* Yeah, that book series really ticked me off, especially the end, where Brandon basically used one of the most paper thin religious reactions to having your faith lost, that it made me sick. Especially when you consider that the
The character who had the crisis of faith didn't actually believe any of those religions, he was just a repository of them. He even made a point to SAY he didn't believe them, but kept them for posterity. Then he learns they are wrong, and suddenly can't find the drive to do anything?!? Nothing means anything, so why should I bother? Yeah, that's the bullshit reasoning that a religious person has, how they THINK we atheists see the world. Total crap.

I love the Stormlight Archive, but the Mistbourn series can just die in a fire.

RUSH: Love this band, but they can be a very niche thing. Their music can be odd at times, and only enjoyable because you are a RUSH fan, but trying to get someone to enjoy it is near impossible.

John Scalzi: I love him as a writer, but he uses "He said, she said" WAAAY too much in his conversations. Listening to his audiobooks makes this really apparent.
I mean I liked the characters and everything, but you're totally right. The crises of faith and everything was fucking dumb. The first book was good. The second one was too slow. And the last one had some weird metaphysical bull shit to it. The only one I can say I actively disliked was the last one. Also how they
tried to re-frame the villains actions form the first book as being good. No he was still a tyrannical ass hole the fact he might be doing this for a "grater good" doesn't make him good on the whole.

Edit. I just stared The way of Kings. So I can't comment on the Stormlight Archive.

retsupurae yahtsee

May 14, 2012
Mario: One of my favorites game series, almost ruined by Toads. Toads are the most annoyed and retarded characters in all of video games.
Capcom: make more fucking Mega Man games!
Stephen Colbert: Why are you on C.B.S? C.B.S. comedies are like the Holocaust without the jokes.
Douglas Adams: Everything after the crew found the alternate Earth in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was horrible, and he took 20 years to make a really half-assed story that had to be filled with extraneous material.
Nintendo: Why do I have to buy dolls to get the full Splatoon experience?
Grand Theft Auto: Why do you have so many shitty missions which have poor controls and design?
David Lynch: You just abandoned Twin Peaks because of insufficient budget? Spielberg made Jaws with a broken piece of shit robot shark; Hitchcock made Psycho despite having no studio's support and being forced to use black and white film and household items for special effects; Sam Raimi made The Evil Dead on a $397,000 budget; deal with it, you lazy asshole!
Alan Wake: Stop being a cliff diving simulator!
Konami: Fuck you for giving up games, destroying Hideo Kojima's career and abandoning many classic series. I ued to love you, but now you are shit.
Atlus: Shin Megami Tensei 2 was a piece of shit: Nothing but wandering around empty mines and tunnels, no plot, no point, endless repetition--fuck that game!
Bionic Commando: Rearmed: Why do you have a button mashing sequence? You are your predecessor were almost perfect, but having to tediously flail my fingers to beat a boss ruined you.
Resident Evil 4, 5 and Revelations: Why do you have Quick Time Events and button mashing? Thank fucking Christ Revelations 2 had none of the worst things about gaming.
Geoffrey Chaucer: You were the racism, yet also of writing quality. I would say the same about Lovecraft, but he was a shitty writer.
Sierra: Why did you turn Gabriel Knight into a boring and pointless F.M.V. game? Why did you make F.M.V. games at all? Why was King's Quest 3 just a tech demo for a copy protection system? Why did no one stop Roberta Williams when she was making Phantasmagoria, and how did she get funding for the sequel?
Kick Ass and The Kingsman the movies: How did comics by Mark Millar, a contender for the third worst comic creator behind Liefeld and Land, make such excellent movies?
South Park: You often overdo it and become quite disgusting, especially in the early years.
Ren and Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon was the worst piece of shit cartoon since Father of the Pride.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Far Cry, you've really gotten the formula down. But let's be honest; you didn't do all that much to change that formula between 3 and 4. The grappling hook emplacements are so rote that they might as well be ladders, and the biggest thing the change in terrain brought to the game was to make it far more likely you'd die from hitting a tree while trying to parachute or paraglide to a landing than from enemy fire. And the newly available weapons and longer health bar create the bizarre sense that the game is actually getting easier as it goes on, rather than just empowering the player. By the time you have a grenade launcher and a sniper rifle that can shoot through walls, little short of a rhino poses a significant threat.

...But that doesn't mean you won't still be stopped every three minutes to be told, "Hey, there's a convoy up ahead! Hey, there are hostages to be rescued! Hey, the village you just departed is under attack!" And I thought the constant stream of Oblivion portals in Oblivion was irritating...

If you really want to take the world by storm in Far Cry 5, Ubisoft, what you need is an adaptive system that starts to learn when there are certain kinds of missions the player only accepts while dragging feet and grinding teeth, and give them less of them.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Eddie the head said:
Happyninja42 said:
Eddie the head said:
snip
I mean I liked the characters and everything, but you're totally right. The crises of faith and everything was fucking dumb. The first book was good. The second one was too slow. And the last one had some weird metaphysical bull shit to it. The only one I can say I actively disliked was the last one. Also how they
tried to re-frame the villains actions form the first book as being good. No he was still a tyrannical ass hole the fact he might be doing this for a "grater good" doesn't make him good on the whole.

Edit. I just stared The way of Kings. So I can't comment on the Stormlight Archive.
I think you will enjoy the Stormlight Archive a lot. I mean, your mileage may vary, but seriously, those books rocked my socks with the level of awesomesauce they had in them. It takes a while to get to them, as they are thick books, and Brandon is a fan of a slow cooker buildup of the drama. But when it hits the climax of that first book, hot damn it's badass.

I actually didn't have an issue with the way they did the big twist on the badguy, I actually liked it. Not that it made me feel he was a good guy, he wasn't, it was just an interesting literary twist that you don't see very often. Where the terrible things a tyrant does is actually the best case scenario, given the alternative. But that over time, the coloring of those actions have blurred. It makes for some interesting possible theories about our own history and the various religions we have, and their true origins. But yeah, the books were just, meh to me by the end.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
(American) Football: I love it, but pass interference may be the most arbitrary penalty in history.

X-Com: Enemy Within: The beefing up of Sectopod's defense in EW was just ridiculous, your guys will struggle to hit what is essentially a slow-moving giant robot far more than they struggle to hit a 3 foot tall skittering Sectoid.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Adam Jensen's voice sounds like he's swallowed sandpaper.

Torchlight 2: Love the game to death, but it needs an additional difficulty setting (it has 4). The 2nd difficulty is way too easy and the 3rd difficulty is way too hard.

Mortal Kombat X: They turned Quan Chi, who was a boss pimp bad-ass in Mortal Kombat, into a whiny ***** who
gets killed
in MKX. Seriously, all he does the entire game is get his ass beat. Bring me back Quan Chi who had a freakin' skeleton hand chair that he summoned out of the ground.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Charcharo said:
STALKER cant tell its interesting story in a coherent manner. Buggy as fuck and obviously at times unfinished.
Good thing that there are the reclamations projects! That fixes atleast the bugs part. Though I still wouldn't touch CS.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Pokemon has a terrible habit of giving you the shitest Pokemon in the start and saving the cool ones you'd want on your journey for way too far in the game to be of much use.

Fast food makes me fat and is slowly killing me.

Japanese is incredibly hard to learn.

One Piece has more padding than an incontinent woman with a cold D Dog without the awesomeness an insane asylum. (Seriously just kill Doffy already or have a longer run time)

Tech N9ne has some Bass Ackward opinions on religion and his co-founder for Strange Music is an asshole.

Chamillionaire hasn't dropped an album in eight years.

Rittz is really depressing most of the time.

Game Grumps is not only getting stuck in a rut, but is also slowly becoming less and less funny.

The PS3 was horribly designed hardware-wise and Sony has made some befuddlingly stupid mistakes over the years.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Pokemon - Team Rocket was in every single episodes. This effectively made the show the Team Rocket Tries To Capture Pikachu Show, even when they are trying to tell a different story Team Rocket would come in and the plot would become about them. I like Team Rocket, but it was just too much. Every other episode would have been sufficient.

Also, the show should have had more recurring characters that appear more than once every couple hundred episodes. I thought Snap and Ritchie were pretty cool, and it would have been nice for Ash and co. to bump into them once in a while. Also, then we could have less of those times when Ash and them leave saying "Bye, I hope we see you again really soon!" Only for the character to vanish off of the face of the planet.

May 28, 2015
Mass Effect: Now that video game storytelling is improving, the color-coded choices and "if you're friends, they don't die" mechanics start to seem a bit contrived. Okay, the writing in Bioware games has always been somewhat loose. The good bits have been tucked away behind all that... oh, you know [http://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/mass-effect-miranda-lawson-ass.jpg].

India pale ale: It's expensive and I can't drink it everyday without everyone thinking I'm a drunk.

My job: It's gone.

Dalisclock said:
Capcha: Aluminum Foil. So appropriate.
Anyone else get the feeling that captcha is spying on us?

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
Mass Effect 3: I love you, but my God the hour or so between leaving Earth and going to Menae was frustrating as balls because regardless of difficulty level it's still a damn hand-holding exercise.
That is what you didn't like about Mass Effect 3? That? Not, you know, the half-dozen enemy heavies that will insta-kill you if you are with 30 meters of them? Oh, looks it's a mutated Asari/Krogan/Rachni... and I'm dead. Oh, look, it's an Atlas mech, let me just Biotic Charge... and I'm reloading another save.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
shirkbot said:
PunkRex said:
Internet: You bring me so much joy... but you're so freaking petty.
Seconded.
Third and also it can be really paranoid.

YouTube: The stuff you suggest sometimes I won't touch even with a 10ft barge pole.
Android os: Marshmallow better be a return to KitKat because Lollipop is eating up a lot of ram.
Shovel Knight: Sometimes you put too many instant death spikes and pits in certain levels.
Miller Report: There isn't enough of it.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Metal: Metal, I fucking love you. You have all the best riffs. Unfortunately, you have a shitload of problems and it's not surprising that we're all listening to metalcore/hardcore instead these days.

Firstly, fans, stop being a bunch of whiny, backward arseholes. Metal should not sound the same as it did twenty, thirty years ago, get over it and move on. Let metal adapt and mutate and we get incredible things like Mastodon, Converge & Deafheaven, and all the classics you love will still be there. You're not the arbiters of what is and isn't metal anyway, so stop crying 'DATZ NUT METULZ' every time an album that doesn't sound like Slayer comes out.

Secondly, music is not about technical ability. Technical ability is like having a bigger set of tools to be creative with- music is about creating an emotional response. Yes, some of the stuff you can play is incredible, but it should be in service to the song rather than just showing off.

Jan 27, 2011
davidmc1158 said:
Oh chocolate. Why for dost thou degrade my health, harden my arteries and strain the resources of my pancreas? You are such a wonderful and magnificent creation. Why should you treat me so badly for my love of you?
HEAR HEAR. I know the struggle!

On that note, Popcorn and Ramen and pretzels, why must you be so salty? I do not with to get kidney stones, but you are all so tasty.

Actually, nevermind the pretzels. Somehow, they make my ADD rev up and I literally can't focus when I snack on them in class. I've dropped them completely, which sucks, because they taste great. :(

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
Boy do I have a list here:
Monster Hunter: I'm fine with having to gather materials myself, but could I at least get a goddamned map of where these all these minerals and bugs and herbs and flowers are? We live in a digital age, I'm not gonna bother wandering around aimlessly to get that final vital stone for my ultimate weapon, I'll just Google it like everyone else probably does.
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy: They end the series by having the last game in that series be a prequel to the first game, it even ends with the game telling you to go get the first game! Kind of anticlimatic for a series finale. Also, the last chapter pulls out a painful bunch of unneccesary and cliched twists.
Kingdom Hearts: Please stop with the pretentious, ham-fisted and melodramatic story that is so convoluted and nonsensical it's barely possible to follow even for the most dedicated fans.
Shin Megami Tensei 4: The map is terrible at giving you a clear direction for where you are, where you are supposed to go and how you can get there.
Luigi's Mansion 2: Several of the boss fights were absolutely terrible and felt really poorly implemented or just frustrating.
Fire Emblem Awakening: Very fun game to play, with a big yet likeable and well characterized characters but the story is often meandering and I have given up trying to make sense of the timeline in this series. How Morgan even exists will probably remain a mystery forever.
The Witcher (first one): The romance between Geralt and Shani is one of the worst relationships I have ever seen in a game (worse than the one between Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor in Terminator, if that's any indication). Also the voice acting is terrible. And the combat is stiff. And while the final twist is cool, it doesn't make that much sense when you really think about it.
Fallout 3: The karma system is an unneeded simplification from the previous games (at least the game acknowledged when there was a morally grey choice (which happened about two times I believe)). Also the game needs more voice actors. It takes away a lot when I can talk to one human in one room and in the next room there is a guy with the exact same voice.
Terminator: The Terminator himself is fairly awesome, but I honestly didn't care one bit for either Sarah Connor or Kyle Reese (especially Kyle Reese), which makes the good ol' Arnie the only thing that kept me watching.
Watchmen (comic): Now I love this story, but there are parts where I wish Alan Moore could shut up for a bit, namely the part where Nite Owl and Rorschach confronts the "bad guy" and he nearly kills the mood by drowning the panels in text, or that other time where special trained forces are after Rorschach and two of them are SMALL TALKING while searching for a highly dangerous man, also I think the ending was a bit too far-fetched. Like really, you achieve world peace by teleporting a monstrous octopus into Manhattan and killing millions? Honestly think the movie had a better ending.
Half-Life 2: Way too many red barrels
Mass Effect: The combat.... Just.... The combat (cries in Spanish).
The Walking Dead (Season 2): Spent way too long on that farm (I actually skipped over an episode where they try and drag a fat zombie out of a well, but didn't realise that until after I saw a review of it), and it went poorly in the character department. Honestly, when the big character-killing finale came about, I had forgotten who some of the characters being murdered were. It also pulled some really contrived scenarios out of its ass. Only reason I stuck around was because of the somewhat interesting devel-opment between Rick and Shane and Carl, and Daryl who's a likeable guy (like the Garrus Vakarian or Jesse Pinkman of the Walking Dead Series). Turns out it was worth the wait because when season 3 came it got really great and finally lived up to the potential I saw with the first season and the comics.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
-Ezio- said:
Saints Row series: not enough Kinzie

The Flash (tv series): give Iris something to do ffs.

Arrow: Give felicity less to do ffs
yeah pretty much. Iris whole arc was pretty much "I'm not sure who to love" and Felicity is just... mad. She's a godlevel hacker and tech expert to the point where it's silly. She's telling the billionaire engineering guy how to make his super suit better. Previous jobs: Working in IT a la Moss and Roy. Wut.