Crysis 2 Dev Urges Fans Not to Pirate the Game

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
There are a lot of people who wouldn't normally pirate a game that certainly would if it meant playing it months before release. After release you can blame a scene group who buy the game and release it cracked, before you can only blame your own employees.

Fortunately a lot of those people who would only pirate it to get at it early are probably big fans with motivation to buy it later, but you've still screwed the pooch pretty big, personally, when your game leaks this far before release day.

Soveru

Jul 12, 2010
Personally, I don't feel that a majority of people who pirate games are doing so because of DRM. Its simply because they want it free. You can't stop these people

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
endnuen said:
Woem said:
endnuen said:
Pirates have actually done some good for pc gaming, they forced the prices to drop. That is not the case with PS3 games for instance.. Is there any reasonable explanation for the steep prices console games have? No.
Perhaps the price of console games don't drop because the publishers are making less money on the PC games.
Following that, then they should drop console game prices in order to make more sales.
Ah, the Underpants Gnome business plan at work.

1) Offer higher-res graphics and more complex engines in games
2) Cut prices of games
3) ???
4) Profit!

Exactly how many middle-of-the-road, generic, broadest-possible-appeal, no-risks-taken games are you willing to buy to support this business model? Because if they have to make the difference up in volume then developers will have to aim at the lowest common denominator.

-- Steve

PS: grumbling-mumble-reCaptcha

Dwachak

Sep 27, 2009
My unfiltered opinion about piracy would get me on probation here on escapist, but its just not cool.. ever.

Its stealing, its doing stuff from your lower body in the face of the developers and its undermining future gaming. Its not just that developers give up entirely on pc, its also the fact, that if the are going to release on pc they have to put some of the money that would otherwise have gone into gameplay, into anti piracy. That creates a circle of worse games, that the lesser-minded won't pay full price for so they steal it..
If your excuse is that you can't afford games, maybe you should be spending time making more money, rather than gaming.

This stuff gets me a bit fired up, as you can probably see :p

Low Key

May 7, 2009
endnuen said:
Pirates have actually done some good for pc gaming, they forced the prices to drop. That is not the case with PS3 games for instance.. Is there any reasonable explanation for the steep prices console games have? No.
100 developers x $60,000 a year x 2 years in development = $12,000,000

Now add in voice acting, marketing, licensing, etc. and depending on the platform, you're easily looking at around $30-$50,000,000. That's somewhere in the ballpark of 500,000-850,000 copies before breaking even.

At $60 a pop, plenty of devs see losses, or at best, barely break even. Not saying I like paying $60 for a game, just that it's not like all of these people are swimming in money.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Serenegoose said:
Zannah said:
A leak two month before release, so one of your very own employees put it on there, or left a suitcase with the cds on the bus, because no one else has the game yet. And you're blaming pirates?
Didn't you know? The pirates sailed on in on their electronic pirate ship to the crytek office with their magical hacking powers, and forced one of the Crytek employees, at cutlass-point, to upload an old, buggy build, just so they could go YAHARR! and have one over on the poor, victimised corporations again. The CCTV footage of it is quite impressive.
maybe they be freebooters from activision, yarrr? Also, let me guess, the surveillance video of this incident is rendered in cry engine?

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
I'm a huge fan, and really want to play it (I've had it on pre-order for months). The decision to not pirate it would be a hell of a lot easier if there was actually a PC demo available. Or even a freakin' release date on the demo. Crytek is in the bad position of treating the PC community somewhat poorly after the last Crysis got pirated so badly... and now the entire game is available for free on PC. I'm betting the pirating is going to pick up substantially whenever Crytek announces some terrible DRM program and drives everyone over the edge.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Anton P. Nym said:
Exactly how many middle-of-the-road, generic, broadest-possible-appeal, no-risks-taken games are you willing to buy to support this business model?
None. Which is why I am against the steep prices. Had the majority of the games been gems it would be justifiable. But they aren't, so it isn't.

M4rsch

Feb 21, 2009
Pff... why would I want to play a half finished game? I would've bought codblops to do that.

I'll wait for the release to not buy it.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Pictoru said:
I never said anything about "hurting the industry", Yes getting the beta or things in general for free is nice, but it's not up to us to decide what and when, we don't own it. Also my reasons for purchasing the game has nothing to do with the fact that it says "Crytek", I happen to enjoy everything they've developed in the past.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Crysis fans urge Crytek to FINALLY RELEASE THE GOD DAMN DEMO

People really wouldn't be THAT eager to pirate if you gave us something.
Le Tueur said:
bit_crusherrr said:
Not being funny but whos going to play a buggy beta and think "I'll cancel my pre-order now cos there's no point in buying it".
You've haven't done enough betas yet if you don't think this is common.
After Aion, Warhammer and Champions Online, I kiiiinda treat betas as final products. If MMOs dont fix problems fast, one-time purchase games are probably worse.

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
All the people who think that Crytek is somehow to blame for not releasing a demo, or that this is not going to hurt the release sales of Crysis 2, are absolutely kidding themselves.

That being said, I like the way they handled it. Crysis has a strong fanbase and most gamers do not have a thief's mindset. Appealing to peoples' good nature might work better than anything else.

Gibboniser

Jan 9, 2011
Judging by the state of the game, no one who is planning on buying it, or who would have bought it after playing the demo, won't still buy it.

kurokenshi

Sep 2, 2009
Am I missing something, how is a leaked game piracies fault?

I think this press release went through EA's "Piracy is to blame for everything" PR Department.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
It sucks that it got leaked, but I'm amused by the press release that within the first few words tries to hammer home the fact it was an incomplete build.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
They're not gonna stop pirating by asking politely. It's unfortunate but people do pirate games and they probably should have forseen something like this (though it is bad luck that a pirate copy came out before the game even launched).

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
im on the fence when it comes to piracy but things like games / movies / music i would never ever pirate, so long as crytek have given the pc players the love, im happy to give my support

Azulito

Jan 1, 2009
I feel bad for them; yes.

Do I think there'll be a loss; no.

People who would have pirated it after release are the ones currently pirating it; so there aren't any lost customers. Either way, it was going to get pirated.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
I'm definitely buying the game, i'll need to buy a new processor but the game looks to be worth it. The worst part about the people pirating the game is, they'll be playing an incomplete game yet judge it as buggy and the most horrible thing ever.