Dark Souls: Initial Thoughts

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Ghostwise said:
Well after ringing the first bell I made my way through Darkroot Garden and Basin. Unlocked a magic door, killed a giant hydra, killed the moonlight butterfly, manhandled 3 giant hedgehogs, attacked the forest covenant on accident, and handily got a beat down by a giant wolf with a sword in its mouth. I then decided to head to the depths after taking out the Capra Demon after a few tries. Once in the depths I was attacked by 3 players consecutively and handed them their asses. Made my way to the Gaping Dragon and had him damn near death until I fucked up! I almost had that MF on my first go. Lost 5 humanity, 10,000 souls and swiftly died before reaching my corpse via a curse. :( Now I am cursed in the depths and can't find my way back to the vendor I found earlier that sells the uncurse dohickies lol. Oh MF I hate/love you Dark Souls..........
You.. Killed the freaking Hydra? What is your soul level and equipment? o.o

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Kris015 said:
Ghostwise said:
Well after ringing the first bell I made my way through Darkroot Garden and Basin. Unlocked a magic door, killed a giant hydra, killed the moonlight butterfly, manhandled 3 giant hedgehogs, attacked the forest covenant on accident, and handily got a beat down by a giant wolf with a sword in its mouth. I then decided to head to the depths after taking out the Capra Demon after a few tries. Once in the depths I was attacked by 3 players consecutively and handed them their asses. Made my way to the Gaping Dragon and had him damn near death until I fucked up! I almost had that MF on my first go. Lost 5 humanity, 10,000 souls and swiftly died before reaching my corpse via a curse. :( Now I am cursed in the depths and can't find my way back to the vendor I found earlier that sells the uncurse dohickies lol. Oh MF I hate/love you Dark Souls..........
Eh? The Hydra is easy. There is an even stronger, more head-ed one in Ash Lake.

Just run up to it, then when it tries to bite you, block. Hack at the heads until they retract. Block again. Repeat until dead.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Kris015 said:
Ghostwise said:
Eh? The Hydra is easy. There is an even stronger, more head-ed one in Ash Lake.

Just run up to it, then when it tries to bite you, block. Hack at the heads until they retract. Block again. Repeat until dead.
Oh, I was afraid to approach him :p
Gonna try it tomorrow!

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Are smithing boxes, and repair boxes permanent items, or just a one time use?

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
Rabid Toilet said:
I'm also getting stuck on the Capra Demon, who seems designed specifically to kill my playstyle. I'm playing as a heavy armor spear user, who can't move very fast, but can block pretty much anything. This works great, except that the Capra Demon has two attacks that go straight through my guard, hitting me for half my life, and they both track me, so I can't sidestep them. I also can't move or roll fast enough to get out of range of them.
Actually my heavy armor wearing spear wielder friend had no trouble on him at all. The only attacks you have to worry about are when he combines his swords together, and does the leaping double sword attack. The only real attack you have to worry is the leaping attack, which you'll have to time your roll "perfectly". Do it to early, and the Capra will adjust mid swing and smash you. Everyone else you should be able to confidently block or outrange if you've built your character correctly.

The other worry is the dogs. The easy way to get rid of them is to buy the flame resin, and eliminate them as quickly as possible. Make your way to the stairs right away, and take them out.

Trust me its way worse as a fast character with such little margin for error in between his attacks.

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
I love/hate this game.

I finally made it through Blighttown and beat the boss Quelag and rang the bell. Greatest feeling ever. It is a shame that this feeling got destroyed as soon as I saw what seemed to be a half-dead spider chick. I got even more nervous as soon as I entered the Demon Ruins.I quit for the night, I need to strengthen my moral :p

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Loving it.

It feels a lot more polished that than Demon's Souls, in the way the characters move and the wy they attack.

I'm fucking loving how much crit damage daggers do in this game (started out as thief).

No complaints about the visuals, they look better than Demon's Souls (at least on my TV), the level designs are more varied and there's a lot more variation in the types of grunts you face, so it never feels like I'm fighting wave after wave of the same sort of bad guy.
While I do like the game, it has a few questionable design choices compared to Demon's Souls.

- You have to buy the ability to write/rate messages. It's only a 100 souls, but still, this should've been in the game right from the start just like in Demon's Souls.
- The Soul Sign thing-a-ma-jig is easily missed, because you have to speak to some random dude - twice - in order to get it. Yet again a feature that was there from the get-go in Demon's Souls.
- And when you do get the Souls Sign there's hardly anyone accessing it, because the game runs on a different server system than Demon's Souls. I don't know the gist of it, but where in Demon's Souls you would trip over Soul Signs left and right, and could seek out your friends' Soul Sign easily using psn messaging or whatnot, in Dark Souls there's not a "soul" in sight. I've been playing all day today and I haven't seen a Soul Sign anywhere.

All I can hope for is that From Software releases a patch that makes the co-op component of this game actually work.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I really need to buy this game when I get the chance. From the rental, I'm really loving it, but like in Demon's Souls, it takes me forever to progress anywhere.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Loving it.

It feels a lot more polished that than Demon's Souls, in the way the characters move and the wy they attack.

I'm fucking loving how much crit damage daggers do in this game (started out as thief).

No complaints about the visuals, they look better than Demon's Souls (at least on my TV), the level designs are more varied and there's a lot more variation in the types of grunts you face, so it never feels like I'm fighting wave after wave of the same sort of bad guy.
While I do like the game, it has a few questionable design choices compared to Demon's Souls.

- You have to buy the ability to write/rate messages. It's only a 100 souls, but still, this should've been in the game right from the start just like in Demon's Souls.
- The Soul Sign thing-a-ma-jig is easily missed, because you have to speak to some random dude - twice - in order to get it. Yet again a feature that was there from the get-go in Demon's Souls.
- And when you do get the Souls Sign there's hardly anyone accessing it, because the game runs on a different server system than Demon's Souls. I don't know the gist of it, but where in Demon's Souls you would trip over Soul Signs left and right, and could seek out your friends' Soul Sign easily using psn messaging or whatnot, in Dark Souls there's not a "soul" in sight. I've been playing all day today and I haven't seen a Soul Sign anywhere.

All I can hope for is that From Software releases a patch that makes the co-op component of this game actually work.
Ummm first thing , are you human? You can only summon and see soul signs if your human . Second thing , they are mostly around bosses , players tend to help other for bosses or somewhere tough . I've seen quite a few and it was the only way i could beat the boss before the demon ruins

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Loving it.

Ummm first thing , are you human? You can only summon and see soul signs if your human . Second thing , they are mostly around bosses , players tend to help other for bosses or somewhere tough . I've seen quite a few and it was the only way i could beat the boss before the demon ruins

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Arontala said:
For anyone having trouble with the Capra Demon, watch these two videos.

The first video shows you how to get an extremely good ring, and the second video is just a general strategy for killing the Capra Demon.
I love EpicNameBro. He is a godsend for struggling players.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I have a question if anyone can answer . I want to level my sheild . My current balder sheild +5 s stat are 82/0/0/0 . I want to acension it to divine sheild which stats are 59/108/0/0 ( or something like that ). Will that make my sheild more resistant to magic attacks ? If so is it all kind of magic( fire and lightninf ) or just one kind?