Dark Souls Port Brings Console Problems to PC

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
lol, people won't buy a game because it's capped at 30 fps (a perfectly playable framerate as long as it's stable) and will look like a console game? I admit it sucks that they aren't taking advantage of the PC's capabilities but... do you people actually play games for the gameplay? Or do you just like to look at nice graphics?

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
1024 x 720! Holy carp! Alright video card I guess it's time to work that magic that you do and force all your fun settings on this puppy. Hopefully it won't drop me any lower than the 30 FPS, yeesh.

Captcha: Ace of Spades - Motorhead! Yeeaaaah \nn/

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Wtf did PC gamers expect from a company that's never ported games to a PC before? Seriously it's not even worse than the console version...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Should have seen this coming.

I'm still getting it, except I'm gonna wait a bit and see if it's as glitchy as all hell.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
lacktheknack said:

I'm still getting it, except I'm gonna wait a bit and see if it's as glitchy as all hell.
If its exactly like the console version (like From seems to be saying), 95% of the problems will be bearable lag in blighttown. It isnt that bad either.

Only other problem I had was summoning someone and lag just hitting me hard, but that aint the games fault.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
thethird0611 said:
lacktheknack said:

If its exactly like the console version (like From seems to be saying), 95% of the problems will be bearable lag in blighttown. It isnt that bad either.

Only other problem I had was summoning someone and lag just hitting me hard, but that aint the games fault.
It's literally impossible to make the game "exactly" like the console version, unless you're playing on the console's hardware.

...Which we aren't. And that's where the hardware glitches invade.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
lacktheknack said:
thethird0611 said:
lacktheknack said:

It's literally impossible to make the game "exactly" like the console version, unless you're playing on the console's hardware.

Well, true, hopefully they fix all those port bugs then, especially if they arent changing to much. Would love the PC version to be good. Damn great game.

naam

Dec 16, 2010
I'd recommend just trying a demo of sorts out before giving up on it and see for yourself if the performance is deal-breaking

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
As someone who played and loved the console version, I also really fucking hate bad console ports onto PC.
I think that both I and anyone else who is planning to one day get this on PC would much rather FromSoft took longer to make it better suited, and not rush it.

Lee Quitt

Mar 12, 2011
ajapam said:
lol, people won't buy a game because it's capped at 30 fps (a perfectly playable framerate as long as it's stable) and will look like a console game? I admit it sucks that they aren't taking advantage of the PC's capabilities but... do you people actually play games for the gameplay? Or do you just like to look at nice graphics?
Son 5 minutes playing bf3 on ps3 locked at 30 frames per second revealed to me the horror you console users experience daily, it also revealed that 30 fps is in no way perfectly playable.

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
Sorry, I fail to see the problem people have. It's the same game as on consoles. With DLC thrown in for free. For a reduced price.

Oh no, you don't get the same product for less money. You poor things.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
lacktheknack said:
thethird0611 said:
lacktheknack said:

Whether intentional or not, you kind of created a pun there.

Whoever buys the PC port for Dark Souls, there needs to be 1 person out there who creates a character named Hardware Glitches and rolls him as a Darkwraith. Greatest phantom ever.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I guess we will wait and see if the hacking/modding wizards can coax some life out of this one, otherwise it will be one hell of a rough ride.

I understand most of you don't see low framerate difference because you just don't care how it plays, but for those of us who do 30 FPS is really fucking horrid (plus random frame drops even below that), in a game that demands the top of your abilities that is possibly the worst thing to leave there.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
First off, the game is not the same price. it's $10 USD more than the console version, more in some places. Second, how am I being entitled by wanting a valid pc port of a game that's a year old? Nearly every single game nowadays is a console port, and nearly every single one has customizable graphics settings and rebindable controls. This is just a half-assed port made to appease a fanbase. Good luck appeasing anyone with this. Either you do it all the way or you don't do it at all. If you couldn't port it then don't try. If you could port it, then why only go halfway? 30 fps. Ok fine, 30 fps is playable. But what about drops? if it drops just 5 fps suddenly it becomes very choppy. Drop 10 fps and you're getting close to the point that a lot of people will just stop playing. I would gladly pay $10 more for a well done port, but that's not what this is. I'll just get it for my console tyvm. They were even so lazy as to lock up their engine to 720p. If this port doesn't scream lazy to you, then I must be looking at the wrong game.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Oh my God. Can PC gamers even ENJOY the game now?
if they can't then they need to pull the stick out of their asses and get over it :D

sides 'PC gamers' did ask for a port of a game, from a company that last i checked, doesn't really do PC games, if they where expecting perfection well, they can go back to Skyrim >.> oh wait ......

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I hope some people who actually care about this game will make a community patch that fixes what the developers are too lazy to fix.
I guess I won't buy this game on release.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
JuliusMagnus said:
It's not a matter of holding out for a PC version. Unlike industry folk some of us only have one platform and not the money to own several platforms. True, the cost of one high-end PC could get you two or three consoles, but I can't earn a living with those. Regardless of reasons for getting the PC version, there might be some fan effort that succeeds where From Soft failed.
I'd say almost certainly if the tools are given to them, and a pretty strong maybe if the tools aren't given to them. That said, console games look like shit when you sit a couple of feet from them, this will look like shit on a 1080 monitor if there are no improvements to the graphics.

I'm not buying this though, because I never wanted it.

EDIT: Oh and the game gives your PC Syphilis? (AKA: GFWL) There is a very good reason I prefer CoH over DoW2, and it isn't gameplay...

G32420NL

Jul 3, 2012
bit dissapointed at some of the reactions about pc elitsm, i understand where they are coming from and altough i am a pc only gamer (financial reasons) i can see the fun and advantages of consoles and enjoy them when visiting friends. the 30 frames are really not a problem, but the resolution is a bit of a hitch, in the sense that on a tv the scaling and distance from the tv help alot but this may not be the case sitting close to the monitor.
I will evade this by hooking my pc up to the television but that kinda is working around the problem. what im trying to say is that when playing with a monitor you will not get the great experience as with the console version because the artstyle will be blurred out of existence.

Still glad that it's coming after it wasnt planned and i will play the heck out of it.

btw. never eeeever use car analogy's in gaming, it just doesnt work.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well... I don't care if it looks like shit *twitching eye*, I'm more concerned about the FPS performance. I also don't care if it runs at 30 fps, if it's perfectly playable, with as less hitches and hiccups as possible, I'm ok with it.