Dark Souls Port Brings Console Problems to PC

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Evilsanta said:
Wow, After reading some of the comments here I am ashammed to call my self a PC gamer.

You are getting the same freaking game plus new added content for FREE. I can't count how many times I replayed Dark Souls on my PS3 and still enjoy the hell out of it despite some of it flaws. Like the framedrop rate in Blighttown, Fuck that place. So it won't run perfectly fine in 1900x1200 resolution or higher the 30 fps, So what? It is still a great game.

And here I thought the whole PC gamer elitist was a exaggeration or what the "extreme" ones where called. But apperently not.
Pretty much mirrors my thoughts.
Dark Souls looks damned good as is.
It may not have top of the line textures and resolutions, but the area design is awesome. I'll remember arriving for the first time in Ash Lake long after I've forgotten whatever environments the last Crysis game had.

I mean really - as someone who has a heavy duty gaming rig, I'm really not too concerned. 60 FPS is nice to have, but 30 FPS doesn't ruin a game. Top of the end graphics are nice too, but they don't make the game.

I mean are people seriously whining that the only improvement is they're getting is a substantial chunk of extra content for free?

Oh well I'm definitely planning on picking it up. The Souls series is one of my favorites, and I definitely want to support it as much as I can - and even better everything I've heard about the new stuff sounds awesome - it will be interesting to see how it answers some of our lore questions about the game. I'm already trying to figure out how to put together a good Artorias build in honor of the new stuff.

Can't wait for it!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I, frankly, do see this as a problem. Time for a bunch of random thoughts.

1) The DLC is not "free". I have to pay $40 for the game (some stores in Canada are even selling it for $60 for some reason). This is not free. When you re-buy a game's GOTY edition with all the DLC do you claim you're getting all the DLC for free? No, because you aren't. It's also worth noting you can get the console version brand-spankin' new for $20 around my parts.

2) PC games have certain sets of features that are just flat-line basic in every single game. Rebindable controls, framerates that match the system's monitor and a set of graphics options that at least let you set the screen resolution. Isn't it a bit embarrassing that the fucking Quake engine from 1996 can run at virtually any resolution without any modification to the source code, and From can't uncap their framerate? I could boot up quake and put it in 1920x1080 just fine, and it would run in sync with my 120hz monitor as well.

3) They should honestly just release the game as it is with some debugging tools and just let the community fix all the issues. We're going to try to do it anyways, you may as well just make it easier.

4) Personally, I already own the PS3 version. I don't want that version again. Honestly, I had to stop playing in Blighttown. Props to whoever powered through that, but the game was essentially unplayable to me at that point. My criteria for buying this was a full 1080p game (though the textures can still be standard resolution, that's fine) with a framerate that was uncapped. I was fine playing with a controller, I was fine with no graphics options, I was fine if the game said "press start" at the beginning. These are just two things they needed to do (unlocked framerate and 1080p resolution) but they couldn't even manage that.

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
Eh as long as it's not a buggy mess I'll still buy it.

I mean lately I've been playing through the BIT.TRIP games and have been having a great time. Great graphics are certainly nice, but not necessary.

Siegreich

Jun 24, 2008
Ickorus said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Rabid Toilet said:
This whole Dark Souls port thing is being blown way out of proportion.

News sites are making it out to be garbage that no one should buy, that the developers are rushing out a crappy port to make money, that the result is an unplayable mess. The reality is that PC gamers get the exact same game that consoles have. The exact same, perfectly playable, perfectly fine looking game we've been playing for so long.

But because the port isn't superior to the original, this is apparently unacceptable. Now, the game will likely not sell very well because of everyone being led to believe the port is crap. Say goodbye to getting PC ports of future titles. Apparently the same as everyone else just isn't good enough.
Indeed.

I don't want to toss around the term ungrateful, but...

Look, at best, it's going to have a lightly smoother framerate, with free DLC. While at it's worst, it's going to be exactly the same as the console version.

I don't see the issue here.
Ungrateful? At least you didn't say ..entitled. *GASP* [http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7qtdetHGF1r9og92o4_250.gif]

Yeah, pretty much the same as what you guys said. I enjoyed the game on the console so if it's basically the same thing but on PC I'm sure I'll manage to find a way to enjoy it.

Maybe this experience will help them improve any future ports they make.
No after this they're probably just not going to make any ports no matter how hard you petition, good job pc gamers, having the same game just isn't enough for you.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
The Plunk said:
"Oh no, 30 fps! Whatever will we doooooooooooooooooooooo?!"

The game was perfectly playable on consoles.
The game will be the same, if not slightly better, on PC.
Therefore it will be perfectly playable on PC.
That was my first reaction. PC gamers get the same game at a lower price (okay, this might depend on what the console version is doing where you live) with more content. Sure, PC gamers get it a lot later than consoles, but personally I'd be glad I'd get the game at all, what with From Software being a console developer. Rejoice! Enjoy the glory of Dark Souls!

[sub]Though I still prefer Demon's Souls. Shhhhh![/sub]

Sep 14, 2009
Zaik said:
I want to be irritated, but they've at least been completely honest about not having a fucking clue how to port to PC before they sold it.

I'm not really interested in it as is, maybe once it drops down in the $5 range and/or some modders that know how them newfangled personal computers work fix it up(and maybe as an added bonus rip all the GFWL garbage out of it like was made available for Fallout 3).
this, but i think i'll shell out for it to show them some support, they've been honest and have at least tried, and they actually LISTENED to the petitions and support rather than toss it to the side like most dev/pubs do, so for that, they might have earned a sale out of me (plus i like in depth rpg's like this, so if it plays like it does on the console, i'm sure i'll be at least satisfied)

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Siegreich said:
Ickorus said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Rabid Toilet said:
This whole Dark Souls port thing is being blown way out of proportion.

News sites are making it out to be garbage that no one should buy, that the developers are rushing out a crappy port to make money, that the result is an unplayable mess. The reality is that PC gamers get the exact same game that consoles have. The exact same, perfectly playable, perfectly fine looking game we've been playing for so long.

But because the port isn't superior to the original, this is apparently unacceptable. Now, the game will likely not sell very well because of everyone being led to believe the port is crap. Say goodbye to getting PC ports of future titles. Apparently the same as everyone else just isn't good enough.
Indeed.

I don't want to toss around the term ungrateful, but...

Look, at best, it's going to have a lightly smoother framerate, with free DLC. While at it's worst, it's going to be exactly the same as the console version.

I don't see the issue here.
Ungrateful? At least you didn't say ..entitled. *GASP* [http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7qtdetHGF1r9og92o4_250.gif]

Yeah, pretty much the same as what you guys said. I enjoyed the game on the console so if it's basically the same thing but on PC I'm sure I'll manage to find a way to enjoy it.

Maybe this experience will help them improve any future ports they make.
No after this they're probably just not going to make any ports no matter how hard you petition, good job pc gamers, having the same game just isn't enough for you.
I personally think it's a very vocal minority that are kicking up a fuss about it so me being the optimist that I am have high hopes that From Software will port future games, I mean, all they need to do is make a reasonable profit on the port and they'll have the incentive to do the same with future games.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Wow the amount of anti-consumerism never ceases to amaze me here on the escapist. The locking to 30 fps and that the bugs and framedrops aren't fixed is applauded here just wow.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Wow... that's are really clear way to say "Don't buy our game."

Well, thanks for telling me that because I was thinking of pre-ordering it over Steam.

Siegreich said:
Yeah, you're completely right.
Who gives me the right not to buy a game that is broken from the start. I'm really entitled for thinking that the product I bought should work.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
You guys wanted Dark Souls, you're getting it, warts and all.

The game isn't going to be worse on PC, it's going to be exactly the same as the console version, the version you petitioned so hard to get.

And you get free DLC.
Pretty much this.
I don't know why anyone is surprised by news like this. They weren't even going to port it to PC to begin with, it took a petition to make that happen. So now you are getting the exact same game you wanted, not Dark Souls on steroids. Though I'm sure modders will somehow figure out a way to fix some of the problems the port is going to have. either way, despite it's flaws (even zomg Blighttown), it was still a solid gaming experience. If you want to let a little lag ruin that, that's your problem.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Honestly, I can live without having the graphical settings set at 1080p, it's fine though I'm not the biggest fan of it.

What I don't like is the fact that it's capped at 30 fps and has basically one of the most barebones options menus that I've ever seen. The whole thing just feels like
. If I do end up getting it, I'll probably be tearing into it's .ini files before too long as the lack of rebindable keys will probably end up driving me mad.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Karloff said:
Weeeell ... hard luck, PC gamers.
Weeeell....... hard luck From Software.

It looks like you won't be getting my money.

PS: The amount of ignorance displayed by a lot of people in this thread is astounding.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
All the drama. We all knew it was going to come with problem. Smooth experience at 30 FPS is a massive step up from the consoles. I mean absolutely MASSIVE. But, as soon as the PC base gets their hands on it, I expect certain other Problems to fade away, such as the frame rate cap. Still can't wait!

I do have to say, this article (more-so Eurogamer) is inflammatory in nature. No one was under the impression they were putting higher quality textures on the game as they said from day 1 that they would not be. I'm just glad to hear my PC will make it smooth. 30 FPS is noticeable, but 30, then 10, then 30 again really really noticeable.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The Plunk said:
BiH-Kira said:
Wow... that's are really clear way to say "Don't buy our game."

Well, thanks for telling me that because I was thinking of pre-ordering it over Steam.

Siegreich said:
Yeah, you're completely right.
Who gives me the right not to buy a game that is broken from the start. I'm really entitled for thinking that the product I bought should work.
It's not broken. It is playable on consoles, so it will be playable on PC.

It's people like you that give credit to the stereotype of entitled, whining, elitist PC gamers.
The problem is that it IS broken.

If I bought Ferrari, I would expect from it to go faster than 40km/h.
Same as buying a game. I would expect from it to work as fast as it can on my PC. I didn't invest in my PC so that I can play shity ports.

They made millions of the game and they couldn't hire someone to do the port? And how am I whiny? Or entitled?
I didn't rage, I didn't swear, I didn't insult anyone. I just said that I won't buy it and explained (briefly) why.

The problem isn't in me, but in people like you. People who gladly give up their consumer rights and attack anyone who doesn't want to give 50 euro for a pile of shit.
Yes, it's a pile of shit. A game that will run in 1024x720 on 30 (if you're lucky) FPS...

I never asked for extra content, that by the way isn't free. The only thing I want from a port is to use my PC right. I want to be able to change my controls, to change my resolution and the most important part is, I don't want to play a Power Point slideshow.

If not buying something that I don't think is worth my money makes me entitled or whiny, well fuck. I'm entitled and whiny. If wanting a game to run smooth on my PC makes me a elitist, well, I'm an elitist.

But you, my friend, are a brainwashed consumer. I could say "thank you" for a bad gift (even tho I don't understand how someone could say it's a gift), but I sure as hell won't pay 50 euro for it. And I sure as hell won't give up on my consumer rights.