DC Comics Reboots Lobo's Reboot

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
"Hello. I'm DC Editor-in-Chief Bob Harras and I've completely missed the point of one of our most popular character. But I understand marketing demographics.

That's what you young people want, right? RIGHT?!?!"

Keep in mind, this is the same guy who wrote The Spider-Man "Clone Saga" while at Marvel.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Oh DC. When will you learn that best thing you've ever done is the DCAU, and just spend all your time emulating that?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Maybe DC is just leading us on and just like the original Lobo was a parody of 90's comic characters, reboot Lobo is going to be a parody of the dark and brooding trend?

Probably not, but hey, one can hope.

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
It's not new, but looking at all the concept art is like a window into all the lame cliches that plague the comic industry.

1: I know most writers/artists today were kids of the '70s and '80s, and back then there was this whole increasing concern and consciousness over the growing industrial super-power of Japan at the time which seemed like it was going to overgrow and out-compete the United States; but for fuck's sake, could they at least cut it out with the weeaboo crap? I've been putting up with all this Japan-centric bullshit since the 90's, when EVERY character back then needed one or two katanas, or a ronin ponytail, or had armor that was based on, if they weren't already just directly wearing feudal-era samurai armor or ninja pajamas. If none of that or if they were already established characters, they were at least given some STUPID back story that tied them in with 'The Land of The Rising Sun'.

Yes, we've all heard that Japan is a pretty cool place. Yes, your characters look totally DESU KAWAI with their Korean MMO-styled armor. Now why the fuck do ALL of you have to be this god-damned unimaginative? This weeaboo design crap going on today is like Robert Liefield and his fuckin' POUCHES in the '90s (...and I guess the weeb crap back then too - that's how overdone this whole thing is) nothing but costumes where 90% of the character's usable surface area was covered in BELTS, BELTS MADE OF POUCHES, AND EVEN POUCHES MADE OF POUCHES, BECAUSE THEY MAKE MY CHARACTERS ALL TACTICOOL AND SUPER-SERIAL LOOKING, GAIS!

2: I know most comic writers/artists are also left-wing, liberal bandwagon-hoppers, but does every fucking character have to look like a suave, clean-shaven little metrosexual? Seriously, Lobo's whole appeal was that he was a PARODY of Wolverine and other popular meat-headed heroes at the time by being even bigger, even more grizzled, more muscular, more violent and much more extreme to the point where it was barely even logical. What they seem to be doing here is turning him from a parody of all that was wrong in the '90s and making him an antithesis of it. What I can't understand is who they thought this was going to please - Twilight fans don't read Lobo-related comics, and fans of Lobo probably don't like Twilight. If this were for a movie, I'd understand it as perhaps some corporate douches trying to make the character appeal to a wider audience by selling out to the whole Twilight-vampire-emo-brooding-"MONSTER-JUST-MEANS-TEENAGE-BOY" craze going on at the moment, but they're not and it baffles me how they possibly thought this was going to go over well with the established fan base.

Hell, if I had any confidence in them being clever I would have just assumed they were rebooting him to be a parody of current over-used tropes and trends in character design. I'm skeptical of that though, as that would require actual wit.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I think we can all agree that Liefeld royally screwed the pooch when he had written for Lobo in Deathstroke...what was it, 9 through 16? Liefeld also royally screwed up Deathstroke but DC isn't rebooting him. Oh crap...they're not also rebooting Deathstroke are they?! Maybe DC is planning a sort of Clone Saga of their own...I mean, a Clone Saga about Lobo could be something decent...it's a decade or two late yeah but...*sigh*...I haven't bought a new 52 in well over a year and DC isn't really showing that they want my money. Maybe in another 20 years they'll start making books that I want again.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Fu11Frontal said:
Not to be a downer or anything...but that looks like pretty much exactly the opposite of what DC fans were hoping for.
Thats not being a downer, thats being truthful. This new Lobo would be broken in half by the Real Lobo backhanding him...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So I guess the REAL Lobo sits in his bedroom with the lights off, writing space poetry and brooding about why noone likes him. What a badass. He probably sparkles in sunlight too.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, I'm not exactly well-versed in comics (esp not DC comics), but if I'm reading this right it looks like DC went:
"Gut everything but the name, replace with DARKER STUFF because DARK is COOL."

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Sounds asinine, but doesn't surprise me, really. DC has been reboot happy for 30 years since the original Crisis. That's part of the reason I never got into them as much as Marvel. You never knew when that reboot for the hell of it was coming.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I've got it figured out.

Lobo was originally a parody of the gritty characters of the 90s, especially Wolverine. But everyone's a moody, brooding wimp know (especially Wolverine) so, he's dated. In comes wimpy looking broody mopey Lobo. He is a parody again! The joke he was always meant to be! But, of course, classic Lobo will win whatever fight goes down between these two because, come one, it's Lobo.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2011/09/screen-shot-2011-09-22-at-12.28.52-pm.png

http://static03.mediaite.com/themarysue/uploads/2011/09/Math1.png
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that the animated starfire was nothing like the actual starfire even before the reboot.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
As someone already pointed out, ALL of these are turned down concepts. The only part accepted was a more sci-fi looking armor for him.

Also worth noting that the original New 52 Lobo is a Rob Liefeld made grey-scale Wolverine.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Lobo hasn't been interesting since early LEGION anyway.

He first showed up in a couple of issues of some long forgotten series - can't recall the name, can't be bothered googling it, but I do recall he wore a hideous orange one piece suit. Then he was brought back for LEGION and, for a brief moment, he was actually interesting.

Then he got a spin-off series, drawn by artist-of-the-moment Simon Bisley - and THAT was when he turned into the over muscled one note parody.

I'm honestly quite surprised that so many people care. He was a terrible one dimensional character - a supposed alien whose every distinctive characteristic was a straight lift from 20th century Earth - the biker look, the cigars, the fucking dog... And for a while in the 90s he was so over-exposed he was the DC Wolverine.

The new one looks bland, certainly, but the New 52 seems to have been one long exercise in making everyone as uninteresting as possible so no surprise there. I just think he was tiresomely overrated to begin with.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Popped in just to say: The new "Batman" reboots were complete and utter crap! They were basically a modern, muddy movie about current tech and state of mind with terrorists, gangsters, and vigilantes. That 'Dark Night' could very well be mistaken for Big Daddy from the Kickass series. The original Batman -the classical one- was about over-the-top criminals with mental issues that did over-the-top things (not just murder with a card on it, aka Joker). Jim Carry was a great Batman villain because of his over-the-top craziness and the way he was portrayed as The Riddler (same with Tommy Lee Jones playing Two Face).

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
*laughs hysterically*

Oh poor Lobo what have they done with you? "The main man" this is not.

Also poor starfire, i know her teen titans appearance was physically different to comics one, but at least both designs had a jovial personality, don't see why she had to be dipped in emo sauce too.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
ZippyDSMlee said:
HEY!! Don't knock Morbius he was cool a shame the whole dark line of marvel comics came to a crappy end and half of them would up in Doc Strange's vault. >>
I wouldn't knock ol' Michael, but the new Lobo design looks a LOT more like Morbius than it does the main man, at least to my eyes.