DC Comics Reboots Lobo's Reboot

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
DC Comics Reboots Lobo's Reboot

DC Comics' New 52 Lobo will be phased out for a character that has little to do with "mindless" violence.

For better or worse, fictional reboots are a big part of our popular culture. When handled correctly, a well-planned reboot can update and translate what works about its characters for new audiences (see Battlestar Galactica, Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy). On the other hand, a poorly-planned reboot neglects what worked for the original story, alienating fans in the process. Take DC Comics' Lobo. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123602-Lobo-Gives-Batman-The-Finger-In-Debut-Footage>Originally intended as a parody of violent superhero stories, this inter-stellar bounty hunter became a popular anti-hero who was featured in comic books, television shows, and videogames. DC's New 52 reboot, meanwhile, changed the character into a villainous slaver who wasn't well-received by loyal readers. In response, DC will reboot Lobo yet again, altering his image to be physically attractive and mysteriously brooding when compared to the mindlessly violent persona that defined him.

"This Lobo is equal parts strong, vicious, and driven," writes DC editor-in-chief Bob Harras. "There's a darker and more logical idea about what a force of nature like him is capable of. After all, this is someone who can infiltrate high society, fly a space ship, and adhere to a very specific moral code that's not your typical anti-hero one."

If you're familiar with Lobo's personality, you might be understandably confused. If you're not familiar, know that "high society" and "moral codes" have never been Lobo's defining traits. According to Harras, however, this will be Lobo's official modus operandi, since the previous character was simply an alien that stole his respected name. DC will debut the new New 52 Lobo in Justice League #23.2, as he hunts his identity thief to prove once and for all who the "real" Lobo is.

Lobo's new design was one of many created by Kenneth Rocafort, some of which are attached below. As you can see, the version selected by DC's editors is colder and leaner than what fans are used to, barely having any resemblance to the original Lobo at all. In fact, this New 52 Lobo has much in common with countless brooding and one-dimensional fictional badasses, several of whom already populate DC's catalog. To be fair, nobody accused the original Lobo of being a well-rounded character, but at least he had a unique personality to make up for it. What will this version of Lobo have that makes him stand out?

Justice League #23.2 will reach comic book shelves on September 11, 2013.

[gallery=1717]

Source: <a href=http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/08/23/whats-new-in-the-new-52-lobos-new-look#4>DC Comics, via <a href=http://www.newsarama.com/18756-dc-reveals-new-look-for-lobo-s-first-new-52-appearance-in-what-s-new.html>Newsarama

Fu11Frontal

Apr 17, 2013
Not to be a downer or anything...but that looks like pretty much exactly the opposite of what DC fans were hoping for.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
Because you know, while you're stomping on everything the fans like about a character, you might as well claim that he was never the real one anyway so that BOTH your middle fingers are clearly presented to your readers.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
...I'm getting PTSD flashbacks to DmC. Seriously, what is up with Reboots lately? You have to handle these things with care or you're going to piss off the whole fanbase.

That said, DC at-least seem to have better PR then Ninja Theory and Tameem do in that they actually HAVE PR.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Why does it look like that Lobo walked out of a bad Twilight knock off? Seriously, Lobo was Deadpool light, a funny parody of over the top 90's anti-heroes.

"...strong, vicious, and driven. There's a darker and more logical idea about what a force of nature like him is capable of."

That sounds like some really, REALLY terrible original characters (do not steal) from Fanfiction. Yes, an alien like that could potentially be more darker, logical, and efficient. However, your not making an interesting character, your making a @#$^ing Terminator. A killing machine, a emotionless assassin, a slasher villain (barring Freddy) is not meant to be interesting, it is meant to be a force of nature. A conflict, forcing actual characters to react.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
For the record, the BSG reboot was /also/ a terrible reboot that dropped all the good points of the original in favor of using the name and basic premise for something totally different. It just so happened that enough people prefer broody dark crap over light hearted fun for it to turn into a major hit. Meanwhile I'd just about kill for a space based sci-fi show as fun as the original.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
I? WOW. That's seriously like DmC Dante and DCAU Lobo had a baby. Which is a horrifying thought.

Ya know, DC, if you're trying to attract me to read comic books, you really should pretty much do the opposite of what you've been doing these past few years. Just saying.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
So its Lobo in name only? Why are all the funny character turning into emo parodies of themselves, rather then remain outright parodies of the universe that spawned them?

Hell even 40k, the series that spawned the term GRIMDARK has kept its lethal joke characters intact to inject some stupid humor into it.

Ahh well, at least there is always Deadpool.

Aug 31, 2012
I've never really been into comics, except Judge Dredd/2000AD but having seen Lobo in a crossover I quite liked him in that. This looks like the equivalent of rebooting The Thing and making him a male model with a scar on his face for a bit of "personality".

Bastichs!

Edit: At least it wasn't number 3 that they picked...holy shit...can you imagine the fanrage?

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Fanghawk said:
[...]

If you're familiar with Lobo's personality, you might be understandably confused. If you're not familiar, know that "high society" and "moral codes" have never been Lobo's defining traits. According to Harras, however, this will be Lobo's official modus operandi, since the previous character was simply an alien that stole his respected name. DC will debut the new New 52 Lobo in Justice League #23.2, as he hunts his identity thief to prove once and for all who the "real" Lobo is.[...]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGgjATSt0vk

This is great news I won't be spending money on comicbooks again!

rhodo said:
I... uh.... I.... what is....

......excuse me while I go weep in a corner......
I'll be there with a blanket, hot coco and my Lobo comic collection. Let us just keep him in our memory.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I'm not necessarily against the idea of redefining his character. Lobo (or the incarnation of the character that became popular) was created to be a parody of the 90's anti-heroes. Times have changed, maybe his character should reflect that?

But keep the over-exaggerated parody-aspect, just make him a parody of the current comics. I can see that design working if you played it so over-the -top serious and hit all the cliches that made the comic similar in spirit that the original was.

But judging by that quote, they aren't getting it.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
I just... uggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Why redesign a cigar-chomping, space-hog riding character into one who gets carded trying to buy booze? Oh wait, maybe they just got confused somewhere designing a character see

^ this is Michael Morbius, the living vampire, and this design indeed suits him

^ This is Lobo. He has a beard.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Hang on, hang on, hang on...

I'm pretty sure one of my buddies linked me to the twitter of some woman who worked at DC. These were all theoretical designs that ultimately didn't make the cut she said.
The one that did was "Uglier" and...something else, can't remember now. I think it was "meaner" or something along those lines. The gist was, he was "more Lobo".

My source might of been bs, but you may wanna at least have a look for that and update the article before someone here gives up comics forever!

(Yeah, the concept art is terrible though. Sterile, is the first word that comes to mind.)

Edit: Found it.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Wait, is that guy at the top meant to be Lobo?
I will admit I'm not into DC Comics as much as I'm into Marvel but when I think of Lobo this is the kind of thing I think about:

Oh well, I'll add that to my list of "Reasons to not give a damn about DC".