Dead Island: The Best Zombie Game Trailer Ever

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Goofy trailer and of course zombies have been done to death, but first person survival horror is enough to make me interested. I've been wanting a first person Silent Hill(Or whatever. I guess.) for years.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Podunk said:
Goofy trailer and of course zombies have been done to death, but first person survival horror is enough to make me interested. I've been wanting a first person Silent Hill(Or whatever. I guess.) for years.
I'm curious as to why you think this trailer was "goofy". Elaborate?

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Syphous said:
I'm curious as to why you think this trailer was "goofy". Elaborate?
Well, things in reverse are pretty much inherently humorous, and the effect shown is the opposite of intended (like the blood gushing into the zombie's neck, and the guy taking back the axe). The way it's spliced with forward moving shots don't really help it and a lot of the actions going on and the expressions of the characters are just kinda goofy. I don't think it's necessarily an uncanny valley effect, just the result of playing the scene slowly in reverse. Also the blonde daughter doesn't really look like her parents, which is kinda funny. It's clear they want this video to stand out for being different, but it hasn't really made me more interested in there game, and it doesn't make me want to play it. Maybe a Memento-style reverse would have been better, with each action being shown a scene at a time, but I don't know. I think the Shaun of the Dead Island trailer evoked more of the intended emotion from me.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I will say the trailer got me interested in the game...so I guess it did it's job. But I still think as a game trailer it's a failure, this tells us nothing about the game other than the setting and that there are zombies.

I had to look up what the gameplay style actually was, you're not doing it right game trailer!

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
You know what I'm sick of? people saying they are sick of zombie games. There arent ENOUGH well done zombie games.

Zombies are perhaps the most refine-able genre in video games at their current state, and no one has done it even close to perfectly yet, though L4D and COD Zombies are the best examples that come to mind.

You know what is overdone? Not Zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Alright dead island. You have my attention. If you do not deliver on a level of "portal," "world of warcraft" or "minecraft" awesome then you shall be swiftly disregarded.

I know that sets a high standard, but with a trailer as gripping as that, they've already placed the bar a mile-high.

To quote the infamous 4chan: "Let's see if OP delivars."

Sidrat

Jan 18, 2011
As a stand alone story telling piece of visual entertainment that's some powerful stuff there.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
It's a nice short-movie.

But as a trailer, expecially a game-trailer it fails, because it doesn't tell you anything about the game.

Reynard Wrecce

May 15, 2010
Clucking spit, that's promising. I know we're all - understandably - sceptical about the game living up to the trailer (they SO rarely are), but let's take off our Cynical Cynthia masks and don the cherubic grins of Ollie the Optimist for a change. Just imagine the game being that emotionally provoking, bleak, and hard-hitting. Yum.

Jeffro Tull

Sep 27, 2010
That was a really good trailer. I am getting a little burnt out from having zombies in my videogames though. It's a little too overdone right now. I guess I'll make my decision to pick it up after I see some gameplay. I can speculate what this game will be like, but if it's a L4D clone I'll go ahead and stick to what I already have.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
Well, that was depressing.
In a complimentary way.

Well actually as far as cinimatics go I'd rate that high on the says bugger all, but then its zombies so what's there to know?

I agree that we have a few too many zombie titles these days but at the same time what I would like to see is a return of your classic Animated corpse zombie rather than "The infected" as every time I see infected I think that you can cure the outbreak with a couple of spray cans of Detol and bleach in a water pistol.
Plus then you get the distinct pleasure of introducing your chainsaw (oiled up with zombie blood) to a series of scrawny little cultists.