Dear Escapists: Recommend me a show!

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Battlestar Galactica was a great series, especially when you add the short films and webisodes.

VicunaBlue

Feb 8, 2009
LEXX.

Comedy, Tragedy, Technology, Sex,
Infinity, Insanity, Intensity, Sex,
Beauty, Savagery, Absurdity, Sex,
Assassin, Love Slave, Idiot... Lexx.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Furious Styles said:
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

The show that needs to be bold, underlined and in capitals. It's just that awesome.
This, easily this.

Or Flight of the Conchords, which is just so much fun to watch.

Feb 7, 2009
Sonicron said:
That would be 'Firefly' (and the movie 'Serenity' which ties up the loose ends after the show). It's a Space Western with a sort of East-meets-West theme throughout.
YES! YES! YES! You would think the whole space and western thing would never work, but it does! Very well!

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
Farscape. Check out Farscape. Goes up and down a bit in seasons, like just about everything else, and the series was abruptly canceled so the ending was BS (but they made a little miniseries afterward to wrap things up properly), but it's a really good show with some cool ideas and fantastic aliens.

I enjoyed the Dresden Files, for the little while it was on. Give it a shot if you can track it down.

Castle isn't my favorite show, but it's mildly entertaining. Give it a chance, but I won't blame you if you want to dip its feet in cement and leave it in the Pacific somewhere.

Anime-wise, stuff I like that I haven't seen mentioned includes Wolf's Rain, Eureka 7, Escaflowne, Noien, and Serial Experiments Lain.

TheBaron87

Jul 12, 2010
Anime: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF OUR SPIRAL GOD, WATCH IT SUBBED!

Live-action: House.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Stargate SG-1 (all ten seasons of which are on Hulu)... it has a rather rocky start but just keeps getting better, so don't get discouraged too quickly :)
Chuck
Firefly
...that's all I got.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
(anime) - Trigun
(crazy Japanese shit) - Kamen Rider Kuuga
(something for "normal" people) Scrubs (stop after the obvious ending In season 6, everything else is for teh moneyz)

Paulie92

Mar 6, 2010
Jekyll with James Nesbitt, the story gets a little nonsensical and doesn't wrap up well but nonetheless it's a fantastic show. It's by Stephen Mofat the guy who did the most recent series of Doctor Who

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I can list quite a few great ones, past and present:

Fringe
Warehouse 13
Doctor Who (namely, the new series with David Tennent)
Stargate Universe
Battlestar Galacitca (new series)
Rubicon
House
Scrubs
Firefly
Arrested Development
John Doe
X-Files (only the first few seasons though)
Star Trek (pretty much any series)
Samurai Jack
Venture Brothers
Frisky Dingo
Sea Lab 2021
Futurama
Sliders (seasons 1, 2, and 3 only)
Reboot
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
The IT Crowd
The Office (and not the shitty American version)
Big O
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Jericho
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Farscape
Metalocalypse
Home Movies
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Chowder

I could list more if you like, but I'm thinkin' this list is long enough already. ;)

[edit]

CrazyGirl17 said:
Samurai Jack - beautifully designed, lots of action, great characterization.
That show has unquestionably some of the most gorgeous animation I've ever seen. To say it's just cartoon art is like saying the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is just "painted pretty".

Doinstuffman38

Dec 1, 2009
Simply put: Adventure Time is the funniest new show I've seen on TV in a looooonng time.

Eat My Sword: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0PGrst5oI&NR=1

I Taste Awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ZzLFRFL4M

Science Dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud0wP6z8U3Q

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
One show I can recommend that always entertains even after the fifth time watching an episode is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

This is probably one of the funniest shows I've ever seen and at least for me, the episodes keep gettin better every season.

Edit: I also want to mention the Boondocks. (Probably also one of most jokingling racist shows ever made)

disneyprincess

Jul 3, 2010
X-files!!! Because it is the best show in the history of the world and anyone who likes Fringe either hasn't seen X-files or is a complete and utter tosser.

P.S- We forgive the post Mulder years because the with with Mulder years were so entirely, mindbogglingly, epic.