Demon's Souls

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
martin said:
SFR said:
The first page had a great email template that I suggest we use. As an example of what I mean, here's what I replied to him with:

Subject: Dealing with the Vocal Majority

Greetings Mr. Atkinson,

It has come to my attention (along with you and many others) that a large amount of vocal minority is against you're opinions and actions regarding censorship. I believe it is necessary to inform you that while the vocal minority may appear to be a vocal majority, this is just a cheap trick created through fake email addresses and yelling. Yelling to seem bigger than one really is has been used throughout human history, so do not be deterred if people are harassing you and calling you retarded more than what seems physically possible for such a small group. This tactic has been used by well known dictators such as Hitler, so my advice is to not listen to what are essentially Nazis.

To combat this facade, I suggest you fight fire with fire. The vocal minority is behaving like a dictatorship, and so should you. Remove freedom of speech to silence their yelling. This should prove easy to you, as you attempt to do it on a regular basis. Soon the vocal minority will subside (probably through violence, which is an acceptable strategy if done in real life), and you can get on with your busy life.

Sincerely,

-Joseph Walter
Concerned foreign maverick

P.S. Don't you just LOVE the game Yahtzee?

Notice the happy tone and agreeing with him while actually insulting him. Also notice the "P.S. Don't you just LOVE the game Yahtzee?" I believe adding that, or a variation of that would be hilarious if done on a grand scale. Also notice "Greetings Mr. Atkinson," and the way I wrote my name. It gives it a feel of professionalism that may actually make him read it before getting pissed off.

Also, Joseph Walter is a pseudonym, just and FYI.

I enjoyed this Extra Punctuation. I have yet to play the game, but I agree. I hate having to redo large parts after dieing. Hard is fun, but that's just annoying.
To be fair, I severely doubt he is going to read them. I sent one anyway!
True, but having a bunch of people send him emails is the primary goal here anyway. It's not a vocal minority. And... if he does read them it would be really funny.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
SFR said:
martin said:
SFR said:
The first page had a great email template that I suggest we use. As an example of what I mean, here's what I replied to him with:

Subject: Dealing with the Vocal Majority

Greetings Mr. Atkinson,

It has come to my attention (along with you and many others) that a large amount of vocal minority is against you're opinions and actions regarding censorship. I believe it is necessary to inform you that while the vocal minority may appear to be a vocal majority, this is just a cheap trick created through fake email addresses and yelling. Yelling to seem bigger than one really is has been used throughout human history, so do not be deterred if people are harassing you and calling you retarded more than what seems physically possible for such a small group. This tactic has been used by well known dictators such as Hitler, so my advice is to not listen to what are essentially Nazis.

To combat this facade, I suggest you fight fire with fire. The vocal minority is behaving like a dictatorship, and so should you. Remove freedom of speech to silence their yelling. This should prove easy to you, as you attempt to do it on a regular basis. Soon the vocal minority will subside (probably through violence, which is an acceptable strategy if done in real life), and you can get on with your busy life.

Sincerely,

-Joseph Walter
Concerned foreign maverick

P.S. Don't you just LOVE the game Yahtzee?

Notice the happy tone and agreeing with him while actually insulting him. Also notice the "P.S. Don't you just LOVE the game Yahtzee?" I believe adding that, or a variation of that would be hilarious if done on a grand scale. Also notice "Greetings Mr. Atkinson," and the way I wrote my name. It gives it a feel of professionalism that may actually make him read it before getting pissed off.

Also, Joseph Walter is a pseudonym, just and FYI.

I enjoyed this Extra Punctuation. I have yet to play the game, but I agree. I hate having to redo large parts after dieing. Hard is fun, but that's just annoying.
To be fair, I severely doubt he is going to read them. I sent one anyway!
True, but having a bunch of people send him emails is the primary goal here anyway. It's not a vocal minority. And... if he does read them it would be really funny.
See, I hope it isn't a minority, considering he's talking about Australian citizens and I myself living in Canada have no say. I would like to see some percentage of people for VS against the rating.

Helba1984

Dec 17, 2009
Alrighty, let's take this one at a time.

TheDrunkNinja said:
Helba1984 said:
If you can't separate my obviously direct and sarcastic tone from my extremely valid arguments, that's either your fault, a consequence of Forum posts as a text-only medium, or some combination thereof in as-yet-undetermined proportions.

I'd wager the higher half goes to you, though.

see? that's sarcasm!

oh, wait - so was that! and this!

Alright, you forced my hand on this. I didn't want to waste the time, but here's your proof:

- I forced you to dig through forums hunting for posts that match my writing voice? Wow, that's effort!

Seriously though, most of your rage toward me seems to be that you can't counter my points, so you focus on personal attack. Debate 101 says that's a bad move, friend.
Helba1984 said:
Yahtzee, I just lost even more respect for you because of this.

Your post was "Backpedaling, backpedaling, backpedaling, (insult viewers, epithets), backpedaling, (lie about checkpoint length), backpedaling, (insult game for having one standard level of difficulty and about 15 classes that completely change the game and you've only played one), (make excuses for not actually trying to beat game based on review length, when Kotaku specifically delayed their review until their reviewer beat the game in order to provide a more accurate review), backpedaling, end."

You want something you could actually complain about, checkpoint-wise, Yahtzee?

Play BAROQUE.

The game is not as unkind as you continue to insist it is; I posted a point-by-point rebuttal to your claims which you fail to recognize (other than backpedaling on the points which were obvious). But the Shortcut system in the game is exactly like a checkpoint, other than that it cannnot be quick-save abused, so it actually forces you to play the goddamn game.

Also, I don't think the complaints of casual gamers should weigh in on a game like this, because it's obviously not targeting them. that part of your post was just fluff to justify more backpedaling.

Edit:

If you happen to want an accurate review, rather than a comedy routine with smarminess, click here:
http://kotaku.com/5424389/demons-souls-review-souls-asylum
A prime example of what an elitist douchebag would post.

- I'm an elitist douchebag why - because I noticed a trend wherein points which were quite heavily repeated (and loudly so) in the video review were quietly and sneakily retracted in the letter, all the while keeping with the "I was right anyway and nobody can disprove me" tone?

Because I posted an apt counter-argument?

Helba1984 said:
Nope. You're caught in the Half-Life illusion.

Even if they let you wander around the land like a fucktard, WRPGs still have a developer-set narrative.

The only difference is the illusion that what you do changes anything in the long term.

Your point = epic fail.
Elitist douchebag.

- Again, focusing on me and not my point.

Helba1984 said:
I am also a professional who happens to work in the industry, and I know precisely the motivating factors behind these trends I speak of; I am well versed and well educated in this subject matter in particular.

REALLY an elitist douchebag. This all only took me a few minutes to dig up by the way. Wasn't exactly a hard thing to do.

-Oh? Especially when it's true? I'm an elitist douchebag for stating that I have expertise in dealing not only with PR, the public opinion on a game, the reaction to and support for the game itself, and experience with casual markets in particular?

(or rather, to be more precise, the business of balancing efforts toward the traditional and casual markets in a game software setting)

I suppose if you think I'm a liar that may be valid, but given the chance I can provide references if you so require. I was merely stating a fact to provide the ethos for my next statement.

Also, I love how you post none of these in context, so that it just seems like I'm a troll and not like these were separate threads with many other posters.

Several are in fact part of a single point-by-point rebuttal to a single post.

Helba1984 said:
Wow, so you mean that the Wiki is noexistant? And what, don't you figure everything out by trial and error? Do you have some godly cheat sheet for every game you play so you only have to play it once? How do you even play games at all? Every game requires effort and trial and error. This game just punishes you for being a Rambo wannabe and not using your noodle (the one in your brain).
Alright, I'll admit your being sarcastic here.

Keep in mind, sarcasm is a weak defense when it's sarcasm for the sake of being an elitist douchebag.

- Except when I'm right, in which case it's an even more douchbag-y move to target me instead of countering a point you know is apt.

Helba1984 said:
Wow. You should avoid every RPG ever made, because that genre isn't for you. Also never ever play D&D, and don't bother trying to play FF or DQ at all. Also avoid Oblivion and Morrowind, avoid KOTOR, avoid pretty much anything out of Bioware or Japan in general.

Go play Halo and stop complaining.

More sarcasm. How surprising.

See? Weak defense.

Still an elitist douchebag!

- No need to repeat here.

Helba1984 said:
Wow, here I was thinking you understood that progressing and becoming more powerful in a game is sort of part of the game getting more difficult. You probably can't handle an FPS either, because you have to have guns "of a certain level" of power and have learned "by trial and error"that standing in front of an alien with your thumb up your ass will get you killed.

Better stick to Madden, BroGamer. http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=287
TheDrunkNinja said:
Posting comic strips to make your point... is just... strange. And you do it all the time...

... Stop it for god sake's.

Another thing, posting 3-4 times MANY times in a row is borderline obsession. Actually, it just plain is. Take some time off, get some sedating meds, and calm down. I've noticed you've been pissing everybody off lately, and if you think that just means they're all retards, then you truly are an elitist douchebag.
-
It seems you have absolutely no interest in the fact that my arguments were valid; rather it seems more likely that you disagree with me but cannot disprove me, so as I said above you have resorted to a thin argument which is that I am a "douchebag", conveniently enough an entirely subjective term as I am a human and in fact not a feminine hygeine product.

Coincidentally enough, so is "elitist", which in this context you seem to apply to anyone who speaks in a direct manner using proper grammar and polysyllabic vocabulary.

I assure you I am in no medical or psychological peril; I want to speak to your reasoning here, and explain to you that how someone sounds when they write, as opposed to how they speak - and there are even variances within this personal archetype - is called "voice".

My "voice" in these posts was designed specifically to be direct, as I didn't want to have to spend 4 hours defending each post. They may come off as smarmy or "elitist", but in reality they are merely direct. Simply because I do not present the opposing side of an argument I am clearly countering does not make me a "douchebag", it simply makes me someone who doesn't wish to get carapel tunnel syndrome just to state an opinion and prove a point.

I am also someone with a rather dry sense of humor, so I tend to inject sarcasm into my writing when I am particularly amused at a thin argument.

The misinterpretation on your part isn't my fault, but you may consider this portion of the post as an attempt to rectify it anyway, because I want to assure you that I am indeed not an "elitist douchebag".

As to comics -

Pictures speak a thousand words, goes the old saying. Well in this case, a comic, or those in particular that I chose, serve to directly reinforce my points.

As to your complaint about using them, I'd say that I didn't embed them - it's your choice to click on the link, so if you don't want to, then don't. It's not like I'm eating up anyone's bandwidth who doesn't actually care to see what I'm referencing.

Furthermore, I didn't realize there was a limit to the number of posts? I usually don't respond more than once to a given person unless I see a reason to, and it's not like I've spammed anyone either. I was participating in a discussion, and that's all.

Lastly, as to "pissing people off" - if presenting legitimate, well thought-out points in a direct and thoughtful manner pisses people off, I would suppose that this is their issue and not my responsibility.

Also, people seem to think when I edit a post it counts as a second one. It's not the first time I've seen someone say that, but for all my forum foraging I can't find any double or triple posts.

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
Ah, difficulty levels. I'm a bit of a masochist, so I tend to play hard by default. Alternatively, I did send an email to Atkinson using the address Yahtzee supplied. I felt a lot better about myself after I did. :)

My email went a little somethin' like this:

Attorney-General Atkinson, sir,

I was recently alerted to your position in regards to gaining an R18+ classification for video games in Australia. Apparently, you stated that those in accord with this were simply a "vocal minority". Sir, with all due respect, I wish to add my voice to that minority.

I am a twenty-two year old female game developer who has just completed a three year bachelor's degree in this field and am convinced that you are acting quite selfishly in this regard. From your interview, you are generalising the gaming public and the collective intelligence of parents who are responsible for what their children play. Last year I was in a game boutique and overheard a parent buying a two-year-old a Nintendo DS. Surely this is an indication that it is not the children that are the determining factor of game sales, but the parents?

I do not own, nor do I play games that are particularly violent, but I believe in the industry in which I work and you, sir, should represent the people properly and allow the correct voice of the people to be heard. A computer game is no different a media form than a film - you are still using a screen with moving images. If your argument is that there is increased immersion and input from a player, I would argue that film and television is becoming increasingly interactive. You are censoring something that any responsible adult should be capable of doing themselves.

If your concern is that children will acquire the game, may I remind you that film tickets to an R18+ motion picture are not allowed to be sold to an unaccompanied minor. I would urge you to reconsider your position and amend the classification to include this condition.

I can understand that you only want what is best for your constituents, but please be aware of the hampering you are placing on a booming industry that can do so much for Australia economically. With this classification, we can not only keep game sellers in business but also maintain a healthy creative culture for Australian game developers.

Yours sincerely,

Giantcain

Oct 29, 2009
Anarex said:
This idea that creating an "easy" instant win mode has no effect on the "very hard" difficulty setting is a joke. Difficulty across any one game has a range. If you make an instant you win mode, the hardest setting gets easier. Why? Because it has to be very hard, but not impossible, for the person who is capable of gaining enjoyment on very easy.

Look at the hardest settings in major recent blockbuster titles.

Very Hard in Fallout 3 was not hard for anyone who has been playing games for a long time. I would have called it normal. It was fine, but hardly much of a challenge.

Same problem with Nightmare on Dragon Age. Its ok, I enjoy it. But it is by no means very hard. If you have played Bioware role playing games before I cannot imagine using anything other than Nightmare.

I would have no problem with easy mode or a chapter skip option or even automatic mode if it did not effect the highest level of difficulty. But it always does. Games on any difficulty setting on the whole are easier now.

The highest difficulty settings should be going the other way. As more people get more experienced, games need to have settings to challenge those people.
but demons souls takes it to far cus theres near enough no checkpoints as it is every time you die you will get angrier and concentrate less and thr game will get harderbecause of that and that every time you die the game ramps up the dificulty also in later worlds other people can come into your gamecamp at rthe end with an instas kill weapon a force you to reapeatedly start the level again which will be harder every time cayusing the person to ragequit or give up and never play it agai because when people can ljoin there will always be someoe who camps you due to the fact that all the money you collected they take when you die which they use to make themselfs stronger and then they come back and cam you again

i think thats a little to hard

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I hate games where checkpoints are far between. It is one of the reasons why I hated the original Sonic the Hedgehog game that had no save points at all.

Dec 16, 2009
The Deadpool said:
I think the crux of the argument is: "how difficult is too difficult"?

See, some people die, lose half an hour and go "Awww man, this game sucks what a waste of my time." While some people die, lose half an hour and go "Well, I better not die again."

One may see the sparse use of checkpoints (and, btw, they ARE there. You may not respawn where you die, but you CAN open shortcuts so you die you don't have to go through the whole stage again) as a deterrement. As making the game too hard for the sake of making the game too hard. One may also see it as an incentive, to get better at the game.

Demon's Souls is scary. It's quiet, moody, desolate. You're alone and death stalks at every corner. But you're only scared if that death MEANS something.

Every encounter can lead to your death. But every encounter can also, just as easily, lead to your taking 0 damage. If you respawn five minutes earlier, death becomes MEANINGLESS. The game loses its fear, cuz all you have to do is rush headlong and use trial and error to win.

But if you respawn a HALF hour ago, you don't WANT to depend on trial and error, because that's a waste of time. The game then forces you into being careful. Survival through paranoia. You block at every turn, dodge roll at the slightless noises, so on so forth.

Demon's Souls challenge is intrisically tied into its world. Its ambiance, its immersion, is all tied into its challenge. Make the game easier and you lose all that makes the game good...
if this was facebook, i'd be clickint the "like" button

i'd also like to say, the game is never cheap. if you get your ass handed to you, your either rushing in, using the wrong tactic/equipment or you just are not at the level required yet. the games pretty open once you get passed 1-1, go elsewhere until you level.

also, the game maybe tough, but its never cheap:
-blue eyed knights can eat health, it also means that they too are vunerable for the same amout of time as you would be eating health.
-play halo3 on legendary,pump two duel wielded clips in to a brutes face and watch him kill you with three shots to the chest, thats cheap (im not saying halo3 is chheap, saying this type of mechanic for difficulty is)

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Demon's Souls

The problem with Demon's Souls isn't that it's hard, but that it purposefully wastes player's time.

Read Full Article
I hope your visa is up to date, you could well be getting deported after that stunt. I've got a spare room in Stoke-on-Trent if you need some time to get back on your feet.

Im with you on difficulty. Even contra had the good grace to re start you where you died and that was legendarily tough. Making you retrace your steps is just a dick move on the part of the developers.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Mr Ink 5000 said:
The Deadpool said:
I think the crux of the argument is: "how difficult is too difficult"?

See, some people die, lose half an hour and go "Awww man, this game sucks what a waste of my time." While some people die, lose half an hour and go "Well, I better not die again."

One may see the sparse use of checkpoints (and, btw, they ARE there. You may not respawn where you die, but you CAN open shortcuts so you die you don't have to go through the whole stage again) as a deterrement. As making the game too hard for the sake of making the game too hard. One may also see it as an incentive, to get better at the game.

Demon's Souls is scary. It's quiet, moody, desolate. You're alone and death stalks at every corner. But you're only scared if that death MEANS something.

Every encounter can lead to your death. But every encounter can also, just as easily, lead to your taking 0 damage. If you respawn five minutes earlier, death becomes MEANINGLESS. The game loses its fear, cuz all you have to do is rush headlong and use trial and error to win.

But if you respawn a HALF hour ago, you don't WANT to depend on trial and error, because that's a waste of time. The game then forces you into being careful. Survival through paranoia. You block at every turn, dodge roll at the slightless noises, so on so forth.

Demon's Souls challenge is intrisically tied into its world. Its ambiance, its immersion, is all tied into its challenge. Make the game easier and you lose all that makes the game good...
if this was facebook, i'd be clickint the "like" button

i'd also like to say, the game is never cheap. if you get your ass handed to you, your either rushing in, using the wrong tactic/equipment or you just are not at the level required yet. the games pretty open once you get passed 1-1, go elsewhere until you level.

also, the game maybe tough, but its never cheap:
-blue eyed knights can eat health, it also means that they too are vunerable for the same amout of time as you would be eating health.
-play halo3 on legendary,pump two duel wielded clips in to a brutes face and watch him kill you with three shots to the chest, thats cheap (im not saying halo3 is chheap, saying this type of mechanic for difficulty is)
Yeah, I thought the lack of checkpoints was ok and indeed making you play more carefully, but up to a certain point. DS crosses the line many times, and the more I played the more unbearable the game was becoming. I cleared 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, farmed 4-1 a lot, thought it was ok. Then I go to kill Flamelurker on 2-2, and he kills me many times, because, you know what, I am HUMAN and i may misstime a roll once every 5 fucking minutes and that's enough for him to kill you. And then I have to go through ALL THOSE FUCKING TUNNELS again, with the giant bugs that take 2 minutes each to kill, again, and again, and again, and again, it's mind-numbingly boring and tedious, I mean seriously. There is a line between "caution through paranoia" and "you know what, fuck this piece of shit game", and unless you have INHUMAN patience or are semi-comatose, you are bound to belong to the latter category. I like games that test my skill, not my patience, sorry if that's too Casual for some...

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Carnagath said:
I like games that test my skill, not my patience, sorry if that's too Casual for some...
Most of 2-2 can be avoided. Huge shortcuts can be taken by sliding down walls. There's a series of signs leading you the right way (I should know, I put them there). Those bugs take a while to kill, but you have to kill what, 2 of them in the whole stage?

And Flamelurker isn't that tough. Flame Shield (or better yet, Brushwood, but you probably don't have that yet) makes it much easier, but just dodging works. Equip lightly and stay on your feet. He's weak against magic if that helps...

Point is, The stage can be done in 5-10 minutes, and the bosss... There are people out there who can beat the boss at level 1 without getting hit. Is the game testing your skill or your patience then?

Dec 16, 2009
Carnagath said:
Yeah, I thought the lack of checkpoints was ok and indeed making you play more carefully, but up to a certain point. DS crosses the line many times, and the more I played the more unbearable the game was becoming. I cleared 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, farmed 4-1 a lot, thought it was ok. Then I go to kill Flamelurker on 2-2, and he kills me many times, because, you know what, I am HUMAN and i may misstime a roll once every 5 fucking minutes and that's enough for him to kill you. And then I have to go through ALL THOSE FUCKING TUNNELS again, with the giant bugs that take 2 minutes each to kill, again, and again, and again, and again, it's mind-numbingly boring and tedious, I mean seriously. There is a line between "caution through paranoia" and "you know what, fuck this piece of shit game", and unless you have INHUMAN patience or are semi-comatose, you are bound to belong to the latter category. I like games that test my skill, not my patience, sorry if that's too Casual for some...
i only have one answer for that, you were not ready for flame lurker
i could recommend what to do net, but you sound like you wouldnt be interested

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
The Deadpool said:
Carnagath said:
I like games that test my skill, not my patience, sorry if that's too Casual for some...
Most of 2-2 can be avoided. Huge shortcuts can be taken by sliding down walls. There's a series of signs leading you the right way (I should know, I put them there). Those bugs take a while to kill, but you have to kill what, 2 of them in the whole stage?

And Flamelurker isn't that tough. Flame Shield (or better yet, Brushwood, but you probably don't have that yet) makes it much easier, but just dodging works. Equip lightly and stay on your feet. He's weak against magic if that helps...

Point is, The stage can be done in 5-10 minutes, and the bosss... There are people out there who can beat the boss at level 1 without getting hit. Is the game testing your skill or your patience then?
Well, the argument that "someone else can do it, so it's fine" is a pretty thin one in my opinion. Also unfortunately notes are not something I have access to, since the location of my PS3 makes it impossible to have it connected to the internet (insert random mom's basement joke here). Anyway, I did a couple of more tries and I'm getting there I think, I just need to refine my positioning a bit so I always have plenty of room behind me, all the times that I died were because I misstimed the exact cast animation of my Soul Arrow, which led to a delayed panicky jump when he charged, which led to me getting cornered and sodomized. Then I had to stop cause I had ran out of mana spice. And yes, the run back is still as annoying as I remembered.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
A agree with Yatzee that there is a big difference between a game that is difficult and one that is just awkward. A hard game requires skill and timing, an awkward game just requires you to do that exact one trick that the designers were thinking of when they programed that bit.

To the comments about being patient in a game I say "why should I?". Patience is for putting up with things you don't want to really put up with but need to such as waiting for the bus or queing in the supermarket. Games are supposed to be something that you choose to do for the sheer fun of it.

kavinsky

Feb 11, 2009
god I am so tempted to send an email to atkinson saying way to start up the nazi movement again!

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Carnagath said:
Well, the argument that "someone else can do it, so it's fine" is a pretty thin one in my opinion.
It's about as valid as "someone can't do it, therefore it's not about skill"

That was a direct response to the line about it being about patience and not skill. I'm not sure about that. I beat Flamelurker on my first try, no walkthrough or guide help. Meanwhile the boss in 2-3. whupped my ass quite a few times before I got the hang of it. Different people, different skill sets. But by your own admition, you died because a mistake YOU made...

Btw, don't underestimate the power of a good shield. Both Purple Flame and Brushwood are accessible to you now (although neither are exactly simple to find). They help wonderfully...

annoyinglizardvoice said:
an awkward game just requires you to do that exact one trick that the designers were thinking of when they programed that bit.
And you believe this applies to Demon's Souls because..?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
WaderiAAA said:
I hate games where checkpoints are far between. It is one of the reasons why I hated the original Sonic the Hedgehog game that had no save points at all.
Checkpoints that aren't close are like putting in golf games.

It pisses me the fuck off everytime. I get to that damn green 3 under par and end up 5 over by the time I get the damn ball to not roll down that 80 degree decline that built that digital green on.

The Deadpool said:
It's about as valid as "someone can't do it, therefore it's not about skill"

But by your own admition, you died because a mistake YOU made...
I could put you in a room with no idea how to defeat a boss and give them a one hit kill move that they spam that has a 90 foot wide range in a room that is only 110 feet wide for the player.

Now you don't know that pressing x b x a x b b b b c b b b b c b c b c c c c c start will kill the monster. So when it kills you it is indeed your fault. Because a mistake you made.

Does that validate the game in any way? Not really. Just means I made a ridiculously complicated game whose redeeming quality is that it is ridiculously complicated.

Demon's Souls isn't a bad game but when your selling point is being irritating you kind of miss the general point of games. A difficulty option would have been genius on their part frankly.

Would be like Resident Evil 5 only having the highest difficulty level and forcing you to play with an AI partner.

Sure it is ridiculously fucking hard and all your deaths will likely be because you aren't omniscient but does that justify the setting? I don't personally think so.

I think that is the general complaint of DS. It isn't a bad game it just misses a few key OPTIONS <--- that would have made it great.

Kind of like turning off tripping in Brawl, a simple one click option that would have made me continue on with the game beyond a month. But there wasn't an option so I now ignore that entry in the series.

Lord Doom

Aug 7, 2008
That pic you have in the article is definitely a, "Oh S***!" moment. But a roll back and a spear strike is all you need to solve that problem. Now if it was Giant Defiled Ones in the 5-2's swamp...

Dec 16, 2009
god i read this, n i'd love too see some of the anti-demon's souls crowd play ghost n goblins in the 80's with finite lives and impossible odds

anyway, highly difficult does not = bad/good.
if you aint got the skill/tactics/patience/inclination to play it, then dont.
doesnt make it a bad game because you can't do it, i'm progressing thru slowly and im enjoying the game, as are plenty of others.