Diablo 3 Review

The Forlorn

May 15, 2012
Repetitive garbage. It's the soggy fast food in a greasy bag compared to the feast of roast meats and exotic fruits that was games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate.

Why do people pay Blizzard to shovel this gaudy shit to them?

Iscariot6794

Jul 1, 2011
CriticKitten said:
Iscariot6794 said:
Hammeroj said:
Iscariot6794 said:
I love all of these people sharing their opinions on a game they've never played.
It's been 4 days since release.

Maybe they did.
Because clearly I was talking about people who'd played the game.

Right.
Kind of hard to tell actually, since you made a broad spectrum statement that appeared to imply that anyone who doesn't like the game hasn't played it.

I think that's what he was trying to point out.
Um.

Making a statement about people sharing their opinions on a game they haven't played is a broad spectrum statement that suddenly applies to people who have played said game?

It just irks me a little to see people comment on a review, say they haven't played the game, and then be derisive towards it.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm not spending $60 on this. Maybe $20 but then again blizzard games never go on sale.

Always online is a dealbreaker. And I would have played it online 90% of the time. If I want to name my SINGLE PLAYER necromancer BUTTSTINK then that is my choice and I shouldn't have to get permission from Blizzard to amuse myself in a immature way.

And I don't want the remote possibility of being banned from a single player game because I said something a mod doesn't like in the forums. You can check my escapsist profile and see how well moderators like me.

Torchlight 2 is already pre-ordered. Grim Dawn will show up eventually and that will be be the true spiritual successor to D2, just like Titan Quest was the best iteration of the genre.

Everything people said is D3 is to D2 just like SC2 is is to SC1. The exact same gameplay, prettier, and requires permission from Blizzard to play a game in single player mode.

No thanks.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Excludos said:
Slycne said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
I will never cease to be annoyed by people saying "Making it more accessable at the cost of better players".

Heres a handy hint. If youve NEVER played a game before. Pick easy. If you have. Pick medium or hard. There. No one is hurt by this. Its an OPTION. There could be an OPTION to make the game full of unicorns that do 1 damage and have 1 health. That wouldnt change anything. Since better players KNOW they are better they can challenge themselves on the harder difficulties. The easy levels are not made for you. Dont play them and complain. It would be like you visiting a childrens theme park and complaining the rides are too slow. Theres an adult theme park RIGHT OVER THERE! What are you doing here?!
Which is precisely my issue, you don't get a choice. Put a 1000 hours into Diablo 2 or never even touched an aRPG before and you both start on what's essentially easy mode.
Still haven't tried Hardcore Nightmare mode I gather? Do that for a bit, then come back to me and complain about the game being easy. There are difficulity modes, they just aren't unlocked from the start. It was the exact same thing in diablo 2. Tbh I think diablo 3 is a bit more challenging than its predecessor.
I gather reading comprehension isn't your strong point. He didn't complain that the game was 'too easy', he complained that the game forces you to START on a mode that is 'too easy'. Hell and Inferno can be as difficult as they want, but all that does is exacerbate the problem that the difficulty curve doesn't curve properly. If you can breeze through the game on Normal using basically a single attack to destroy most mobs, and then suddenly have to develop whole new strategies in order to survive each fight on Nightmare, that's not good game design. Normal mode should be challenging enough that it builds gradually to the difficulty you will later face: something Diablo II actually did quite well.

Dr Killpatient

Jun 18, 2008
Can we really take a word of someone who has a symbol of Bhaal from Baldur's Gate as his avatar?? Blasphemy!
...eh, just kidding. I always found Diablo to be bare-bones RPG-lite, panders to the ADD-growd, all-flash-and-no-substance computer game.

Good to see that after 11 years Blizzard has changed NOTHING.

Well... apart from making it more appealing to noobs.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Excludos said:
Slycne said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
I will never cease to be annoyed by people saying "Making it more accessable at the cost of better players".

Heres a handy hint. If youve NEVER played a game before. Pick easy. If you have. Pick medium or hard. There. No one is hurt by this. Its an OPTION. There could be an OPTION to make the game full of unicorns that do 1 damage and have 1 health. That wouldnt change anything. Since better players KNOW they are better they can challenge themselves on the harder difficulties. The easy levels are not made for you. Dont play them and complain. It would be like you visiting a childrens theme park and complaining the rides are too slow. Theres an adult theme park RIGHT OVER THERE! What are you doing here?!
Which is precisely my issue, you don't get a choice. Put a 1000 hours into Diablo 2 or never even touched an aRPG before and you both start on what's essentially easy mode.
Still haven't tried Hardcore Nightmare mode I gather? Do that for a bit, then come back to me and complain about the game being easy. There are difficulity modes, they just aren't unlocked from the start. It was the exact same thing in diablo 2. Tbh I think diablo 3 is a bit more challenging than its predecessor.
I gather reading comprehension isn't your strong point. He didn't complain that the game was 'too easy', he complained that the game forces you to START on a mode that is 'too easy'. Hell and Inferno can be as difficult as they want, but all that does is exacerbate the problem that the difficulty curve doesn't curve properly. If you can breeze through the game on Normal using basically a single attack to destroy most mobs, and then suddenly have to develop whole new strategies in order to survive each fight on Nightmare, that's not good game design. Normal mode should be challenging enough that it builds gradually to the difficulty you will later face: something Diablo II actually did quite well.
I gather reading comprehension isn't your strong point(see what I did there? Don't throw rocks in glass houses and all that). The discussion was about whetever diablo 3 was worse in this regard than diablo 2, and it simply isn't. Its the exact same system. Diablo 2 was a lot easier than diablo 3 is on the same difficulty levels. Sure we can argue all day whetever its preferable to be able to choose your difficulty levels right off the bat, or play through it several times, increasing the difficulty on every playthrough.

edit: I'll admit that my post quoted above didn't come through the way I wanted it too, but I honestly can't be arsed to show any kind of respect to someone who starts off their post with "My my, you're an idiot!" or to that effect.

Iscariot6794

Jul 1, 2011
Strawmen everywhere.

Way to miss the point, babes.

Did you really need to spend a wall of text saying, "NO THIS IS WHAT YOU SAID"

Jayse

Sep 22, 2009
My only actual gripe with D3 so far has been friends randomly joining my game. (I did eventually find the option in the menu to prevent this, before people point it out to me :p but until then it was a pain )

6 times out of 10 this resulted in me dying on my wizard due to unfortunate timing with cooldowns just as every enemy gets stronger and my npc templar vanishes and stops tanking dmg.

Other than that, it's exactly what I expected. Probably a bit costly for the level of enjoyment I'm getting from it but I still have yet to properly play multiplayer or start my nightmare run so I cant really judge the game fully yet.

Iscariot6794

Jul 1, 2011
CriticKitten said:
Iscariot6794 said:
Strawmen everywhere.

Way to miss the point, babes.

Did you really need to spend a wall of text saying, "NO THIS IS WHAT YOU SAID"
Yes, because you found it necessary to defend yourself when you made an incoherent statement and someone called you out on it.

If you hadn't bothered, perhaps my explanation would not have been necessary. Thanks for playing.

EDIT: Also, straw-man? Wut? Do you even know what that means?

A straw-man is when a part of someone's statement is taken (generally out of context) and established as a false point to detract from the real issue. Except that's not what happened here. I quoted your post and explained to you what the previous poster was trying to say. Then I proceeded to explain exactly how your statement was not only in error but was poorly thought out in general. There was no "straw-man", I quoted and responded to your exact words in their original context with absolutely no "made up" argument involved.

"You can't form an opinion of a game you haven't played" is an incorrect statement. You CAN form an opinion of a game you haven't played. It's likely to be based on flawed information (or a lack of information in general) but don't act like you haven't ever so much as watched a video game trailer and thought "that looks stupid, I don't think I'll buy it".

Don't think you can throw down literacy fallacies that you don't even know the meaning of, and they will suddenly and magically allow people to overlook the fact that your statement is wrong. Reality doesn't work that way.
"You can't form an opinion of a game you haven't played" is not a statement I ever made, and the fact that you wrote an entire response to a statement that I never made constitutes a literal fallacy known as a strawman.

Get out of here.

You quoted something I said, and then wrote 3 paragraphs in response to something I didn't say.

You understand that putting a sentence that I said before 3 paragraphs of irrelevant drivel doesn't actually mean you're replying to it.

"Don't think you can throw down literacy fallacies that you don't even know the meaning of, and they will suddenly and magically allow people to overlook the fact that your statement is wrong. "

What statement?

That it irks me that people form opinions on games they haven't played?

I wasn't aware you could disprove an opinion of mine.

Anyway, since you seem intent on getting worked up over nothing, I'm gonna be the bigger man and stop responding.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Denamic said:
It's cool to hate popular stuff.
It can be but, at the same time, it's actually still a fairly infrequent thing to see something that's possibly just popular for poplar's sake be taken to task for it's actual flaws. Being popular should not exclude you from criticism, and such criticism is not necessarily just hipster blowback.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
The only thing that annoys me is the lag and the oversimplification of the skill tree.

They should have kept it similar to what they had in D2, except more refined, and made it so you had to pay some sort of fee to "unlearn" the skill points" for the new players so they didnt feel trapped if they put the skill point into the wrong thing accidentally.