Dick Souls

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
-Ezio- said:
Devieus said:
Wanna play something really hard? Go outside.
tried that once. people looked at me funny when i was killing small creatures for experience. 2/10
Of course they do, why would you kill small creatures for experience when onlookers are a much better source? They probably think you're new to this.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Fractral said:
After dying about 20 times to the Abyss Watchers I too summoned help. But I don't count it since the summon died in the second stage of the fight. NPC summons also don't count, right?

But yeah, this is why I don't do PVP in any souls game ever. I was invaded a few times while playing through but each time I just went and jumped off an edge or let a mob kill me. Sorry bro- my game, my rules. Go invade someone who wants to play with you.
In the first one I just pulled the LAN cable, I could keep on playing and the invasion would go away.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Pfft, they're both using monitors. Actually being able to see what they're doing. Lol n00bz.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Using controllers? What are you, someone's fuckin' grandma? REAL Souls players only use the Kinect. With their hands tied behind their back.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Bad Jim said:
Shocksplicer said:
Kind of off topic, but it only just occurred to me: where is Critical Miss set?
The clue is in the title.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/7560-1
Soooo... The Internet?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Hardcore players? For beating Dark Souls games? PFFF, Try NES Ninja Gaiden, you casuals!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
balladbird said:
A comic that perfectly encapsulates why I'll never be interested in the Souls series.

I go by the fighting game mean: Any game genre or series with a fanbase more cancerous and dick-waving elitist than the fighting game community is more than I can handle. Hence, I avoid MOBAs and Souls games. XD
There is a perk however. Basically, that you can have a good time playing this without ever interacting with a single human being, unlike fighting games, where the single player is nothing more than training for multiplayer.
Thankfully, if there's one major commonality between the two, its that their multiplayer community fades with time. I played through the original Dark Souls last week, and barely ran into a single person. The game has plenty to offer without the thrill of besting another human in combat.
Of course I probably don't need to warn you to avoid the online community at all costs. They are indeed a cancer of the internet.

Of course, if multiplayer is what you play games for then yes, avoid at all costs.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
sageoftruth said:
balladbird said:
A comic that perfectly encapsulates why I'll never be interested in the Souls series.

I go by the fighting game mean: Any game genre or series with a fanbase more cancerous and dick-waving elitist than the fighting game community is more than I can handle. Hence, I avoid MOBAs and Souls games. XD
There is a perk however. Basically, that you can have a good time playing this without ever interacting with a single human being, unlike fighting games, where the single player is nothing more than training for multiplayer.
Thankfully, if there's one major commonality between the two, its that their multiplayer community fades with time. I played through the original Dark Souls last week, and barely ran into a single person. The game has plenty to offer without the thrill of besting another human in combat.
Of course I probably don't need to warn you to avoid the online community at all costs. They are indeed a cancer of the internet.

Of course, if multiplayer is what you play games for then yes, avoid at all costs.
Is that how it goes? I researched the games when the hype started to build around them, and it seemed like the multiplayer elements were a pretty important component of the gaming experience.

Either way, I freely concede that my knee-jerk reaction is an unfair one. I love my fellow gamers, but whenever matters of e-penis come up... *exhausted shrug*

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
balladbird said:
sageoftruth said:
balladbird said:

Is that how it goes? I researched the games when the hype started to build around them, and it seemed like the multiplayer elements were a pretty important component of the gaming experience.

Either way, I freely concede that my knee-jerk reaction is an unfair one. I love my fellow gamers, but whenever matters of e-penis come up... *exhausted shrug*
I guess it depends one what you play for. Not everyone looks for the same thing in games. I like overcoming challenges, exploring and role-playing, and I was able to get all of those by playing through Dark Souls without meeting any humans, except for that one guy who invaded me once. If you've got a competitive streak, you might feel less fulfilled playing without any human interaction.

There's also the covenants, which are mostly designed to set you up for multiplayer experiences. There are certain items and faith-based skills that you won't be able to acquire without completing covenant missions, such as aiding other players in completing areas, or invading other players depending on the covenant you're working for. That was a shame for me, but it hardly affected me since my characters didn't really have a use for any of those things (who needs a lightning spell when my character's faith is crap?). If you're a completionist, that will probably be very annoying. Thankfully, some of the items, like a ring of partial invisibility can be acquired other ways. Make of it what you will.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
If it's not the difficulty of the Souls games that's keeping me from playing them, it's the toxicity of the fanbase They sound worse than 12-year-old CoD players.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Darth_Payn said:
If it's not the difficulty of the Souls games that's keeping me from playing them, it's the toxicity of the fanbase They sound worse than 12-year-old CoD players.
Well, would you necessarily have to interact with those people in order to play the game? The creators themselves don't seem to be guilty of such elitism.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Honestly, your first play-through can be (and probably SHOULD be) single-player only.

The game is really good, and the multiplayer is entirely optional.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Dango said:
I'm a pretty diehard Dark Souls fan, and the idea that people think the only thing that makes it special is that it's hard is the worst. I would say it's best to go into it with not a lot of information and such because a lot of the game is about a sense of exploration, but I think caring about your reputation as a player is fucking stupid.
It's not the difficulty that discouraged me from ever playing these games. I did beat super mario bros 1 and 2 (the real one, though that second was on the virtual console so I could avoid being sent back to level 1.) My issue is that the difficulty is effectively random, and it rubs salt in the wound when you fail. It's bad enough the game gets harder every time you die (since if you couldn't beat it now surely you can with half your max health and enemies that attack five times faster), but then when you actually figure the game out you can get invaded by characters with end game equipment very early in that are essentially unbeatble at that point. Specifically the way I understand it is while you can't invade a player you have a level advantage over you can have a gear advantage, and there's nothing stopping you from creating a new character and handing him your main endgame characters's best gear and slaughter begginning players with complete impunity. I could be wrong since I've never played, but it certainly didn't encourage me to pay 60 bucks to find out. It also didn't help that I'm a PC gamer and if there's one thing I don't trust it's Japanese games on PC. Plus the mouse and Keyboard support is generally described as awful.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
archvile93 said:
Dango said:
I'm a pretty diehard Dark Souls fan, and the idea that people think the only thing that makes it special is that it's hard is the worst. I would say it's best to go into it with not a lot of information and such because a lot of the game is about a sense of exploration, but I think caring about your reputation as a player is fucking stupid.
It's not the difficulty that discouraged me from ever playing these games. I did beat super mario bros 1 and 2 (the real one, though that second was on the virtual console so I could avoid being sent back to level 1.) My issue is that the difficulty is effectively random, and it rubs salt in the wound when you fail. It's bad enough the game gets harder every time you die (since if you couldn't beat it now surely you can with half your max health and enemies that attack five times faster), but then when you actually figure the game out you can get invaded by characters with end game equipment very early in that are essentially unbeatble at that point. Specifically the way I understand it is while you can't invade a player you have a level advantage over you can have a gear advantage, and there's nothing stopping you from creating a new character and handing him your main endgame characters's best gear and slaughter begginning players with complete impunity. I could be wrong since I've never played, but it certainly didn't encourage me to pay 60 bucks to find out. It also didn't help that I'm a PC gamer and if there's one thing I don't trust it's Japanese games on PC. Plus the mouse and Keyboard support is generally described as awful.
Sorry for butting in, but I feel as if I need to pop in and say my piece. I am pretty much on board with what the other guy said. I mostly play for the atmosphere and world. The gameplay is pretty good, but just seeing new places and finding out their importance within the world was a very unique experience.

As for the difficulty aspect, there are some things I have issue with in what you said. With Dark Souls 1, you did not lose maximum health when dying(although this did happen in the second game as well as Demon souls), nor did enemies get faster with every death. The game does have it's unique bloodstain system, in which if you die, you leave a bloodstain on the ground and you lose all the souls(xp/currency) you have on you. If you get back to the spot where you died, you can pick up all of your souls again. If you die before picking it up however, you lose it all. So it isnt that the game is punishing you hard, it just punishes you for making the same mistake twice in a row. It actually has a pretty nice difficulty curve, the problem is that a lot of players tended to try and go to areas that were meant for better geared/higher level characters early, and got their butts kicked(the graveyard in dark souls 1 is notorious for this, considering it is near the start of the game).

As for pvp, again you are somewhat wrong. There is no system set in place to trade equipment between your own characters. The only way to do that would be to have two copies of the game running at the same time on different consoles/computers and summoning one of your characters so that you can trade between them. You are right though that people can only invade people higher than them(the only exception being the covenant that kills player killers). You are also right that people are only restricted by gear and soul level when invading. Usually with these types of people, they are players that played the whole game at a very low level, so they accumulated a lot of higher end gear on a lower end character legitimately. Of course there are hackers, but fortunately there are less of them nowadays.

The pc port was pretty botched. Like it functioned quite well, but there were little to no options to be able to choose from graphically or otherwise, and the pc controls sucked quite hard. A modder actually fixed most of these issues with a very popular mod thankfully. I am in the camp that thinks third person games such as dark souls plays better with a controller anyways. It is pretty easy to just get a usb controller and plug it in. Of course, I understand that not everyone wants to do that, and that the pc controls shouldn't have been botched in the first place.

Anyways, sorry for butting in and making this long winded response. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the game, let me know! I understand the game(and some of its players) has a somewhat negative reputation in some circles. So if I can do anything to help ease any concerns you might have, feel free to contact me.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
LenticularHomicide said:
I'm trying to decide if playing Dark Souls with a Rock Band controller or a steering-wheel and pedal set would be more intuitive.
Ask this guy. He might know.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
archvile93 said:
Actually the only games where it gets harder if you die are Demon's Souls where dying in "human form" effects tendency, making the enemies harder, and Dark Souls 2, where you gradually lose health. I don't like Dark Souls 2, but in Demon's Souls you can change tendency to make the game easier, albeit in a kind of roundabout way (Helping people beat bosses while being summoned). Also invasions are restricted by level, and there's no way to pass gear onto your own lower level characters. You could hack, or you could go through the whole late game at a low level to get really good gear, but either way most people aren't willing to do that. The best PvP as far as I'm concerned is either two people at very high level or PvP builds that are completely impractical and just meant to leave an impression. I think Dark Souls 1 is the most "fair" of the Souls games, and yeah, the port has issues (I never really had any aside from a 30 FPS max), and mouse and keyboard support isn't great, but since when do 3D action games have good mouse and keyboard support? Would you play Devil May Cry with mouse and keyboard?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
slo said:
balladbird said:

There's a secret some people don't know: you can actually play the game instead of just reading nonsense about it on the Internet.
The appeal of this game IS about feeling how good you are. I've never seen this game discussed outside the context of its difficulty, how tough it was on the player and how good you were to complete it.

It's the ultimate elitist's game.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Blood Brain Barrier said:
slo said:
balladbird said:

There's a secret some people don't know: you can actually play the game instead of just reading nonsense about it on the Internet.
The appeal of this game IS about feeling how good you are. I've never seen this game discussed outside the context of its difficulty, how tough it was on the player and how good you were to complete it.

It's the ultimate elitist's game.
The you haven't been seeing many of the discussions about it because a lot people talk about how amazing the boss fights are (in terms of being interesting) or the music, atmosphere and lore. Yes, a lot of the playbase are up themselves and it's annoying but there is more to the game than difficulty and "prepare to die".
Although it's worth noting that there are more co-opers than invaders.

Jim Sterling did a video on this recently an I agree with him on it.

The beginning is joke btw.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Darth_Payn said:
You do know that half of the in games covenants are dedicated to helping other players during boss fights right? The other day I helped around half a dozen people kill the Curse Rotted Greatwood.