Did Mass Effect Steal It's Story Outright?!

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
hell its a good concept
if bioware knew about this book when mass effect came out they probobly didnt just outright base it on the book for a reason
1.since they didnt want a book iteration breathing down their neck
2. they wanted an rpg and the book has fixed characters
3. they wanted something new...not original but new

i really dont mind

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Canid117 said:
Starke said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Not taking sides yet, just wanted to point out that the ancient race's tech thing is pretty common. Precursors from Star Control come to mind.
Yeah, but we're in Starship Troopers is to Armor type territory here, not just random themes popping up again.
I want to see a starship troopers movie that actually represents Robert Heinlein's Novel. Not an hour and a half long cheap shot at military service which serves the same purpose as shitting on the original authors grave.
I have political differences with Mr. Heinlein when it comes to models of government, but, yeah a more faithful adaptation would have been nice.

MinishArcticFox

Jan 4, 2010
There's only so many ideas out there and even if Bioware did steal the concept (which I doubt they did) they still wrote the characters other alien races made the gameply and expanded it into a trilogy.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Starke said:
Canid117 said:
Starke said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Not taking sides yet, just wanted to point out that the ancient race's tech thing is pretty common. Precursors from Star Control come to mind.
Yeah, but we're in Starship Troopers is to Armor type territory here, not just random themes popping up again.
I want to see a starship troopers movie that actually represents Robert Heinlein's Novel. Not an hour and a half long cheap shot at military service which serves the same purpose as shitting on the original authors grave.
I have political differences with Mr. Heinlein when it comes to models of government, but, yeah a more faithful adaptation would have been nice.
Same. It isn't that I agree with the man on all counts. It's just that there is this little thing called respect. You don't take an authors seminal work and hit him in the nuts with the ashes after you have set the book on fire and pissed on it to put out the flames.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Blindswordmaster said:
Akalistos said:
Blindswordmaster said:
Akalistos said:
Blindswordmaster said:
Akalistos said:
Blindswordmaster said:
Should Kevin Costner sue James Cameron for ripping off Dances with Wolves when he made Avatar? No. People also say that Mass Effect is a rip off of Star Control 2. Some stories are as old as time, they just get retold over and over again.
-Star Wars. Star Wars' story is older than recorded history. Should George Lucas be sued? The answer is no.
It depend how much is plagiarism. If they took the whole series and turn it into a video game... Yes! James Cameron did it. It's the writer that should sue, not Costner. You legaly own the story that you produce and therefore, you should make money if someone use it.

Star Wars is nothing more than the Black knight story in space, it didn't rip enough of the story to really be in trouble, Bioware Fanboy! How much copying a source does it take to become plagiarism? When the plot, setting and character are the same. In this case, it his.

Also, Fanboy, Don't defend Bioware.... Like Yahtzee said, they are big boy that doesn't need defending
I was just making a joke with the Kevin Costner thing. Also, most Disney movies share very similar plot threads. I was just trying to say that some plot threads run throughout human fiction. I really liked the expansion of fictional archetypes in Lady in the Water(though it sucked).
-And you did not just call me a fanboy!
If you were trying to use sarcasm in a post, i salute you. I didn't catch any of it. Basically, you have to give an intonation of voice that is either silly or dumb to make it look like sarcasm. And if it were your goal, you pick your medium poorly. Of Course i believed that your a fanboy. Why wouldn't I? This seem like a angry, bitter post were you defended your game company like his own child.

As for story, as long as you can push it aways from the material you base it on, that not plagiarism. Making the story of Artur and the round table through the eye of the Lady in the Water, that different. I resently saw a book that was call: Before Captain Hook, the adventure of a small boy. Story revolve around how the hell Hook got to Neverland and why he became a pirate. Beside using the protagonist from PETER PAN, that not the same. But if i were to write the story of a young orphan that learn magic in a academy, Would you not call Plagiarism?
Depends on several story and character variables. If your story is in Britain, your character has a mysterious destiny, he goes to a magical academy and he uses a wand to fight a "Dark Lord", then I'll probably call you out on it.
-I was just trying to make a sarcastic joke. I really thought that my claim would be so ridiculous that everyone would disagree with it, seeing it as a joke. I now see that I'm obviously not funny. I'll stop trying to be now.
-I said that people say that Mass Effect is just like Star Control 2. I've never played that game so I wouldn't actually know. I was just passing along 3rd party opinions.
No, don't stop joking... if you do however, make sure to you my trademark [Sarcasm] mark! That replace pitch and delivery making other people get your irony or sarcasm. Also, it FREE!
I don't use [Sarcasm] for the same reason that I don't use LOL. If I have to tell people that I'm joking, I've obviously failed in my attempts at comedy.
But you fail anyways because comedy because two important thing in comedy: Timing and delivery! We can't see your sarcastic tone in a post so you failed with delivery. That why i use either exaggeration: "Man, that make so much sense i think i'm tripping. Woo! Look at the butterflies. Sorry man, i have to go and watch my hand grow for half an hour." or my sarcastic mark: [sarcasm]

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
MinishArcticFox said:
There's only so many ideas out there and even if Bioware did steal the concept (which I doubt they did) they still wrote the characters other alien races made the gameply and expanded it into a trilogy.
Yeah! You tell him.
By the way, i got a novel on the way. It's call Star skirmish! In there, Jame Groundroller is a farmer that want to join the Space Freedom Force. But his oncle and aunt don't... but they get kill fairly early. So, guided by a mysterious fighter call the Royal Monk, he embark on a journey to save Princess Whatsherrname who was capture by a Evil Monk call Dark Toddler inside his forteress: THE DEAD SPHERE! There also a Bounty Hunter call Ted Laulo and and his anthropomorphic cat Bittetica!

(get it?)

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
BattlePope said:
IF YOU'VE NEVER, EVER, READ OR HEARD OF OR HAD, THE ENDING TO 'FIGHT CLUB' SPOILED FOR YOU, DON'T READ IT. but in all fairness, book's pushing 14 years old and the movie's pushing 11 now, so if you were, are, or will be interested in them, you probably already know what I spoil, if it can be asserted as such....

Hell, I came up with an idea for a story today and slowly, very painfully, my left and right brain hemispheres had a meet and greet to relay the info that it was basically Bill Willingham's graphic novel Fables without the whole multiverse angle and a slight shift on what types of fictional characters would be used.
To be fair, mixing public domain characters, even fairy tale characters together isn't something new. Which is something Willingham is probably aware of. Even in comics, if that was the only similarity there's always Neil Gaiman's Sandman as another example.
BattlePope said:
I know what you're saying about plotline similarities being the crux of the difference between one piece of perceivable art and another being xeroxes of each other. As an amateur (at best) cartoonist, my goal is to try for something that's not purposefully taken from something, and much to my chagrin Robert Kirkman made a new series of graphic narrative that shared a main plotline similarity, but I wasn't working on mine when his was freshly solicited, I was quite angered by how he'd come up with an idea similar to mine and as far as I had cared, mine was the predecessor.
Unfortunately for you, your plot, whatever it was, wasn't in print. (Without specifying it, somehow I'm thinking you mean, Walking Dead (which I'm guessing you don't), and the combination of Fables and The Walking Dead has me giddy with possibilities.)

The point is this was in print. Your work was not. It is an unfortunate coincidence for you, but unless someone reads your work, they can't steal it. Hell even if it was just themes not always theft, for instance the suit over God of War by a pair of disgruntled screenwriters a couple months back.
BattlePope said:
I'm quite certain if I came up with an idea for a book or television series about a man who has the ability to give someone a fatal aneurysm at will I wouldn't think that I was ripping of anything else, especially if MY idea had it that he didn't have control over who the target was. Though if you google something like "telepathic aneurysm" you find out about all these comics and characters in things like TV shows where someone can do just that.
Babylon 5. Good call. Good show. It certainly isn't the only thing there. And while we're on the subject Babylon 5 gleefully absconds with some of Alfred Bester's work for it's show. But it isn't a theft, in this case it's pretty clearly an homage. And, at that, a cited homage.
BattlePope said:
The bit about uncontrolled or aimless telepathy killing is, in a sense, 'Lullaby' by Chuck Palahniuk, author of 'Fight Club' the novel, not the movie. He got hate mail about how "fight club was my idea" and his response is the forward to the editions printed after the movie came out. His reply was a simple "it was done before you were even born. Did you, however: go out, become an insomniac, meet a woman, wanna do her, make up an imaginary friend to deal with the insomnia, start an underground proto-mixed martial arts club with said friend, then let your imaginary friend take over, start an anarchist revolution and try to make a symbolic statement about how we have control of the future, so the past can just deal with it, then kill your imaginary friend by killing yourself? No?! Then I guess not much of it was your idea then." I'm paraphrasing, of course.
You're paraphrasing sort of. The introduction to Fight Club has Palahniuk waxing philosophical about how he had an encounter with someone after the film came out that had no idea there was a book and was blindly ripping off "the first rule of" meme.

Now, from a cursory examination of the plot of the book in question, that does appear to be exactly what's happened here. There are some changes, and probably enough to protect them from a copyright infringement suit, but there's enough plot points to say, yes, they may have swiped this wholesale.
BattlePope said:
I do believe that ME and Dragon Age Origins are basically the same game-different timezone, but I haven't gotten that far into either, an I couldn't really stand most of ME for making me feel like mineral deposits and other exploring subpoints mattered more than shooting things in the face and/or vital thought process centers of the nervous system. Both facets of the game felt like Bioware gave up making fluid, ergonomic controls after a while.
I'm sorry, you lost me here. What are you arguing again? How do game controls relate to narrative?
BattlePope said:
Though another thing to ponder (which was a point of discussion between a creative writing professor here in the States what referred to the original trilogy as the greatest, most perfect and original storytelling ever and I) is that Star Wars was Lord of the Rings in space in the sense that the Force was the One Ring with its capability of corrupting anyone who used it, Ben Kenobi was Gandalf, Luke was Frodo, Han was something of an Aragorn, and the robots were Pippin and Merry. Then we have 'A New Hope' specifically which established that the other two in that trilogy were 'Seven Samurai' while Episode 4 was 'The Hidden Fortress' which were both excellent, epic films from Kurosawa.
Not to nitpick too horrifically, but: A New Hope references 'The Hidden Fortress" visually. It's the Phantom Menace that lifts huge chunks of its plot structure and escapes with it.
BattlePope said:
Some people know that first film's Western reiteration dubbed 'The Magnificent Seven' which kinda stings for some people to stew over as both are superb films and held in high regards.
No offense but Kurosawa may be a poor choice here. Bringing his work is a little like complaining that Last Man Standing ripped off the plot of Yojimbo. (Which, like The Magnificent Seven is explicitly a remake.)

It would be one thing if Bioware had gone the route of Babylon 5 or Last Man Standing, and nodded to the original work, but they don't, they claim this is their own original work, their own original world, and their own original concepts. When, it really starts to appear that they simply swiped it and ran.
BattlePope said:
And on the last note: the Jedi are somewhere between Buddhist Monks and Samurai with almost negligible clairvoyance and mild telekinesis in a deep space, fantasy Sci Fi setting or as Jerry Holkins of Penny-Arcade.com put it: "space wizards from the past-future." Apologies if I don't scurry to find the url for the specific comic.
Okay, great, and that has relevance to what?

As advice to an amateur writer, I would advise you to start to cull your arguments down. If you're going to try to persuade people don't bring in external examples unless they can solidly support your argument. You brought in about five, and aside from the quote from Palahniuk, none of them really help your argument.

Kirosawa brings in a new debate entirely, and threatens your entire topic with derailment.

Star Wars has little to no relevance the way you're presenting it. If you play up the Campbell angle, then you've got some room to maneuver and make a convincing argument. The thing to remember and plain for as a counter argument if you want to go that route is, Lucas has always been very up front about how he was creating a new mythology based on Campbell's work. There's also a Jungian argument about Star Wars that can derail it as an example here.

Fables is a hodgepodge of things brought together in a mixing bowl and is, as an example, very difficult to use effectively in an argument about plagiarism, because it brings in so many different sources.

And finally, without identifying which Kirkman series; what you have is, no offense, not evidence, just an anecdote. Which is great to add emphasis, but without more information there to flesh out how Kirkman's work relates to what you were working it doesn't really support your argument. A one paragraph abstract/synopsis would have probably done the trick.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Hey, Halo took it's entire concept from Ringworld, it happens all the time man.
Exactly. But really, it doesnt matter. Judge the game, not its design process.
If you, say, loved... Youtube with a passion, then you learnt there was another video website before then that wasnt nearly as popular and just quietly vanished into shadow; Youd still like Youtube, you wouldnt judge it for it.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
Hey, Halo took it's entire concept from Ringworld, it happens all the time man.
Except you know, all it's concepts aside from habitable rings around planets. You may want to brush up on Ringworld, and actually read the novel rather than gazing at the cover.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Canid117 said:
Starke said:
Canid117 said:
Starke said:
Fr said:
Same. It isn't that I agree with the man on all counts. It's just that there is this little thing called respect. You don't take an authors seminal work and hit him in the nuts with the ashes after you have set the book on fire and pissed on it to put out the flames.
Yeah, respect I can defiantly understand and get behind. It always struck me as a little strange that there wasn't an attempt to tie the Starship Troopers movie into the Aliens franchise, honestly.

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
Blindswordmaster said:
CloakedOne said:
Blindswordmaster said:
Should Kevin Costner sue James Cameron for ripping off Dances with Wolves when he made Avatar? No. People also say that Mass Effect is a rip off of Star Control 2. Some stories are as old as time, they just get retold over and over again.
-Star Wars. Star Wars' story is older than recorded history. Should George Lucas be sued? The answer is no.
Pretty much this. And it's "its."
the grammar lesson wasn't for you, it was for the topic. Just being nit-picky, think nothing of it.

Thank you for agreeing with me, but I don't understand your grammar lesson.

Erniesrubberduk

Mar 29, 2010
Well I don't get what the deal is? You get ideas from what you read, see, think and you put your own ideas into it like James Cameron's Avatar.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
Akalistos said:
Blindswordmaster said:
Akalistos said:
Blindswordmaster said:
Akalistos said:
Blindswordmaster said:
Akalistos said:
Blindswordmaster said:
It depend how much is plagiarism. If they took the whole series and turn it into a video game... Yes! James Cameron did it. It's the writer that should sue, not Costner. You legaly own the story that you produce and therefore, you should make money if someone use it.

Star Wars is nothing more than the Black knight story in space, it didn't rip enough of the story to really be in trouble, Bioware Fanboy! How much copying a source does it take to become plagiarism? When the plot, setting and character are the same. In this case, it his.

Also, Fanboy, Don't defend Bioware.... Like Yahtzee said, they are big boy that doesn't need defending
I was just making a joke with the Kevin Costner thing. Also, most Disney movies share very similar plot threads. I was just trying to say that some plot threads run throughout human fiction. I really liked the expansion of fictional archetypes in Lady in the Water(though it sucked).
-And you did not just call me a fanboy!
If you were trying to use sarcasm in a post, i salute you. I didn't catch any of it. Basically, you have to give an intonation of voice that is either silly or dumb to make it look like sarcasm. And if it were your goal, you pick your medium poorly. Of Course i believed that your a fanboy. Why wouldn't I? This seem like a angry, bitter post were you defended your game company like his own child.

As for story, as long as you can push it aways from the material you base it on, that not plagiarism. Making the story of Artur and the round table through the eye of the Lady in the Water, that different. I resently saw a book that was call: Before Captain Hook, the adventure of a small boy. Story revolve around how the hell Hook got to Neverland and why he became a pirate. Beside using the protagonist from PETER PAN, that not the same. But if i were to write the story of a young orphan that learn magic in a academy, Would you not call Plagiarism?
Depends on several story and character variables. If your story is in Britain, your character has a mysterious destiny, he goes to a magical academy and he uses a wand to fight a "Dark Lord", then I'll probably call you out on it.
-I was just trying to make a sarcastic joke. I really thought that my claim would be so ridiculous that everyone would disagree with it, seeing it as a joke. I now see that I'm obviously not funny. I'll stop trying to be now.
-I said that people say that Mass Effect is just like Star Control 2. I've never played that game so I wouldn't actually know. I was just passing along 3rd party opinions.
No, don't stop joking... if you do however, make sure to you my trademark [Sarcasm] mark! That replace pitch and delivery making other people get your irony or sarcasm. Also, it FREE!
I don't use [Sarcasm] for the same reason that I don't use LOL. If I have to tell people that I'm joking, I've obviously failed in my attempts at comedy.
But you fail anyways because comedy because two important thing in comedy: Timing and delivery! We can't see your sarcastic tone in a post so you failed with delivery. That why i use either exaggeration: "Man, that make so much sense i think i'm tripping. Woo! Look at the butterflies. Sorry man, i have to go and watch my hand grow for half an hour." or my sarcastic mark: [sarcasm]
"But you fail anyways" Wow; this comment perfectly sums up my life. Maybe you are right, but labeling your jokes as jokes just seems to go against the first law of stand-up:never laugh to your own jokes. I'd feel like I'd be putting up a big "Applause" sign over my comments; making people laugh because they feel like they have to rather than because they're actually entertained.
-Also, be careful who you call a fanboy. It's like calling someone a ************; you never really know how someone will react to it. Some see it as a high compliment and a term of endearment; while others view it as the ultimate insult. Since I consider a fanboy to be someone who vehemently defends something without an actual counter argument or any logic what-so-ever, I have to tell you that them's fighin words.
-On an earlier note: Sometimes I really like the look on someone's face(or the tone of their text) when they have to ask me if I'm joking. Like when I tell them that I don't need another assault charge(which I really don't, that shit stays on your record).

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Alright, so there are a few similarities, but it's not that odd that there would be. Many futuristic sci-fi plots have ancient extinct species leaving behind old junk for the new species to find.(Only one I can think of right now is Star Wars. Not movies, they mention it in KOTOR. But I know there are others.) Tech enhanced humans are certainly overused in every sci-fi plot. So are mutated humans. And about the attacking the colonies thing, it's a kinda big generalization. There isn't much to attack. You can attack the planets, or the colonies. Duh.

So, the only thing that's really a big deal is the whole, planet is a beacon thing. Sure, it was the climax of the game, but that hardly constitutes calling Mass Effect outright plagarism. And there have been others who did the same thing, not completely the same, but similar.

Besides, the book must not have been that awesome since I haven't heard ANYTHING about it, so Mass Effect deserves the praise more.

BattlePope

Aug 2, 2008
@Starke: I'm glad one of us has a B.A. (possibly a full-blown doctorate!) in English. Thought I'm fairly certain it isn't me.

I do, however, feel a combination of equal parts pride in the fact that someone decided to go point-by-point through my mad-cap ramblings since that normally doesn't happen, sadness that said ramblings didn't measure up to some the Escapist's high content quality standards, and also a bit of disappointment with myself for not conveying my thoughts that clearly in a long, drawn out forum post. So are forum posts under more scrutiny once they become longer than 2 or 3 partial paragraphs? Of course any question marks indicate a portion of rhetoric.

Yeah, I've tried to avoid debate on semi-anonymous public forums since high school due to any and all anecdotes I've had being interpreted as outright arguments for or against something as opposed to, say, an anecdote. And Yes I do ramble, I know that. I prefer not sending out a large amount of tiny replies. I prefer to use horrid, distended paragraphs, complete with sentence fragments AND comma splices. Feels a bit more personal that way, I guess.

In regards to the Kirkman work: I'm fairly certain it was called 'Killer' and all I've read was the solicit in the Previews a few months ago, but it was about an empath that decides a productive use of his powers would be to effectively become a quasi-telepathic Frank Castle. Except to an extreme degree of Lawful Good. He'd kill people for committing crimes if I'm not mistaken, like mobsters and serial rapists or whatnot. I was upset about this being a Kirkman idea since while talking with a friend of mine who read the solicit had replied to the overall frame for my pitch with something to the effect of "Oh, so it's like that new Kirkman book?" and it wasn't even out yet.

My idea that had been similar to that book, only on the empathic telepathy alone, and using it for illicit ends. The idea I used to claim as 'kinda new' would have had the protagonist be a misanthropic bastard because the only real emotions he feels strongly are from people that tend to have a petty reason for it, like any of the drama a high school student or depressed alcoholic would have. He would have a degree of insomnia because of that and the only way he can get to sleep for a while is to just eliminate the nearest, strongest source of an emotion. I would have played with him trying to be a therapist for people for a bit, but he just felt like that wasn't really helping.

But a zombie apocalypse showcasing various fables and or deities might be fun, even if it'd feel more like a relatively new spin on some of the Super-Zombie books that have been published recently, and it might be personal taste since I've been in on zombie fiction for a while now, but I feel like the entertainment industry can try a bit harder at other ideas.

Though I've slowly grown a distaste for any Kirkman narratives since they've all become serials and in the 3 years since I stopped reading them, it appears that those books are all still going on except for Battle Pope. I understand why The Walking Dead is still going strong, but I thought he'd have run out of stuff for Invincible to do by now.

Game controls to detract from the narrative when you are dying in a fire fight every so often and have to repeat long, drawn out conversations. If you feel like you are fighting with controls in a semi-interactive media like video games, what are you feeling but frustration at a game that is unintentionally hard by virtues like that? The same goes for how important the driving was for traveling to objectives on planets in Mass Effect and how persnickety the rover, or whatever the specific designation your little mega-car had, would respond to your inputs.

One non-Bioware example is how camera angle affects your direction while walking in Heavy Rain; you can be trapped in a loop of saying "wait turn around!" and then follow that up with "no, the other way!" for some time until you stop, change the camera angle, and then resume walking. I didn't really care about having to hold a button to let the game know that I would like to start walking and continue doing such until I remove my finger from the button.

MinishArcticFox

Jan 4, 2010
Akalistos said:
MinishArcticFox said:
Yeah! You tell him.
By the way, i got a novel on the way. It's call Star skirmish! In there, Jame Groundroller is a farmer that want to join the Space Freedom Force. But his oncle and aunt don't... but they get kill fairly early. So, guided by a mysterious fighter call the Royal Monk, he embark on a journey to save Princess Whatsherrname who was capture by a Evil Monk call Dark Toddler inside his forteress: THE DEAD SPHERE! There also a Bounty Hunter call Ted Laulo and and his anthropomorphic cat Bittetica!

(get it?)
I get it I got a kick out of this. Anyway though no story can be 100% original even without intending to copy someone you're bound to. I haven't read it but I'm willing to bet that the story the "stole" didn't have anything similar to asari turians etc. They also have a planned trilogy which I'm not sure the original story had that. Also being game designers they made the gameplay and graphically designed the world. They also wrote characters which I'm guessing didn't exist in the sotry (Liara, Garrus, Mordin, etc). But then again maybe Garrus is supposed to be a reference to the Punisher because he used to be a straight cop, but then he goes outside the law to punish Saleon.

Ad_Astra

May 3, 2010
crudus said:
Lion King outright stole their story from a Japanese animated movie(who stole their story from Macbeth)
Just jumping in for a moment to point out that "Kimba" and "The Lion King" are based off Hamlet, not Macbeth.

(Uncle killing father for throne, son having to avenge his dad.)