Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Portishead: Roseland New York Live (1997) (DVD)

Wow! I've watched a ton of concert films this year, and this was easily one of the best. Never realized the band was such a huge crew when I just listened to the albums. It's almost an orchestra. Loved seeing the heavy electronic trip hop orchestral slow jazz actually performed, with intimate photography (often close shots of the equipment being played) to boot. Also appreciated the back stage footage that was interspersed over the music. I thought it helped the flow. You could tell they were so excited when it was over. Listened to the stereo track with headphones, looking forward to revising in 5.1. Would pay good money for a Blu-ray with higher res audio, but will never happen for most of these old concert films. Anyway, a really tight performance.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Doom: Annihilation

This makes the 2005 version look like a masterpiece. Of particular note, near the end, a demon has a ramble about how humans are pathetic. I guess the idea is that the audience is human and would disagree with this, but every human we've seen in this film is utterly hopeless, so I guess it was right.

Boo. Booo!!

EDIT: Oh, and apparently the leading actress's name is "Amy Manson", she's credited however as "Amy Mason", because she either wasn't keen on having her entire name attached to the thing, or they are that amateurish.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade the other day with my family. It was both better and worse than I remember. It was great to see an action hero not be untouchable, and barely getting through to the end. Harrison Ford is so good at looking dirty, tired, and half dead, but still capable. It was a pretty funny movie, as a child it never registered that James Bond was Indy's father.

A lot of the effects don't hold up though, and the story is fucking bonkers. The antagonists weren't very interesting either.

I'm actually interested in what they'll come up with for the 5th movie. Surely they've learned from the disaster of the 4th movie. Wonder who they'll bring back tho, I don't think Shaya Laboof (yes, I know that's not how you spell it) would be interested in returning.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
John Wick
Lot of sad Keanu stuff in the beginning, some waffle about how totally awesome he is, but it's good when it gets going. In particular I like how he shoots downed enemies in the head to stop them getting back up every time someone is down but not definitely dead.

As an aside, give him fangs and you could turn this into an urban vampire movie really easily, it has that sort of vibe.

American Sniper
Decent enough, but it depicts every US service personnel as a hero, who never makes mistakes, never kills an innocent civilian by accident (or on purpose), there's no question that the Iraq War was anything other than totally morally justified, it's just not easy fighting it. All of two civilians died in the film because the US soldiers got pinned down and couldn't save them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade the other day with my family. It was both better and worse than I remember. It was great to see an action hero not be untouchable, and barely getting through to the end. Harrison Ford is so good at looking dirty, tired, and half dead, but still capable. It was a pretty funny movie, as a child it never registered that James Bond was Indy's father.

A lot of the effects don't hold up though, and the story is fucking bonkers. The antagonists weren't very interesting either.

I'm actually interested in what they'll come up with for the 5th movie. Surely they've learned from the disaster of the 4th movie. Wonder who they'll bring back tho, I don't think Shaya Laboof (yes, I know that's not how you spell it) would be interested in returning.
I glad to see someone actually point out the flaws of Last Crusade, and not just blindly praise the movie. I like it, but the praise the 3rd film gets is ridiculous. Crystal Skull was and is a 3/5 film. I see no need for a 5th film at this point.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Yeah, I find Last Crusade the weak part of the trilogy. Last time I rewatched the three, I quit the third one in the first hour. It feels tamer. Temple of Doom is underrated.

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
See I'd say Last Crusade is actually my favourite of the bunch, largely because Ford and Connery acting against each other is just so damn fun. Agreed that Temple of Doom gets a lot of undeserved ire though

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See I'd say Last Crusade is actually my favourite of the bunch, largely because Ford and Connery acting against each other is just so damn fun. Agreed that Temple of Doom gets a lot of undeserved ire though
I find it hard to hate a movie that inspired some of the funnest, but hardest levels in Donkey Kong Country.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I bought that COlumbia 4K boxset I posted on the last page after all. First movie I watched was Lawrence of Arabia. They were wise enough to put it on two discs. I think it's like 160 GB. It is much better colored than the old Blu-ray and has a nice boost in clarity, but it's based on a 2012 4K scan and still has minor compression issues, so it doesn't look as amazing as it could. Still, happy to have it in my collection like this. It's a great movie, but not one of my top favorites.

Just watched Riding Bean (1989 direct to video Japanese animation, 45 minutes) for the third time since 2010, after recently watching GUnsmith Cats for the third time since 2008. By mankaga Kenichi Sonoda, whose work features fast cars, guns and sexy girls. His cartoony art style is charming. I have a few art books of his on my computer. This movie was entertaining, but I remembered when I got to the end why I rated it a 6/10 years ago. Aside from some other minor nitpicks, the main character is superman. You can shoot him in the head and ram your car into his body and for some inexplicable reason he still stands. Like the '80s rock music too.

Think I'll rewatch Bubblegum Crisis next, also by him. Hopefully, it's better the second time, seven years later.

Last edited:

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Charade
Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn bantering about in Paris. It's a serious movie with a lot of humour in the mix. Or the other way around. Like, people die but they also talk things through like adults. The comedic timing isn't quite on the level of later decades and Hepburn's swooning over Grant becomes a bit weird as the movie goes on. 8/10

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, in retrospect, I might have been too harsh on films like Charlie's Angels or Doom: Annihilation which I mentioned recently. None of those films was The Rise of Skywalker. Gah.

Boo! Boo! Boooooooo!

Also, just seen John Wick 2, which I liked.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ok, in retrospect, I might have been too harsh on films like Charlie's Angels or Doom: Annihilation which I mentioned recently. None of those films was The Rise of Skywalker. Gah.

Boo! Boo! Boooooooo!

Also, just seen John Wick 2, which I liked.
Honestly, I would still take rise of the skywalk over those two. Charlie's Angel was just very boring, and the sequel is even more so. And doom annihilation....fuck that.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Eurovision, Fire something else of?
Poor Will Ferrell, I've no idea who finds his work funny, it's never elicited even the slightest hint of a chuckle from me, yet he keeps going, undeterred, mostly inoffensive though often insufferable, a determination which I kind of find respectable in a mildly concerning way. The same feelings of numbness and hesitant curiosity occurred throughout this film. Surely Eurovision is a ripe hotbed of fascinating weirdos of which to extract endless quality observational humour from? ...Which may be why this wasn't as bad as his other outings, but at the same time a complete waste of so many comedic opportunities. Rachel McAdams elevates this only slightly above total apathy, Satan bless, she does try with what she's given.
Anyways, no laughs, but also nothing offensively bad apart from the Swedish accents. Might beat catatonically staring at your ceiling dwelling upon all your past failures and lost loves, but won't be enough to throw away the suicide note.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Eurovision, Fire something else of?
Poor Will Ferrell, I've no idea who finds his work funny, it's never elicited even the slightest hint of a chuckle from me, yet he keeps going, undeterred, mostly inoffensive though often insufferable, a determination which I kind of find respectable in a mildly concerning way.
This is my opinion on pretty much any SNL actor who went into films. Regardless of era, the majority of them just factory churn out films based around the 2-3 most popular skit character concepts they did, and try and milk that for as much money as they can before they fade into obscurity. It's why all Adam Sandler films are the same premise, Will Ferrell's are the same, Rob Schneider, David Spade, etc. They have one joke, and they play it over and over.

I've never found SNL the show very funny (except when they break character and laugh, but that's not the SHOW being funny), and I've never found the people on it very funny on their own. It's just not a style of comedy and presentation that I can enjoy personally.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Honestly, I would still take rise of the skywalk over those two. Charlie's Angel was just very boring, and the sequel is even more so. And doom annihilation....fuck that.
While both of those were from existed franchises, I get more of a "my childhood is ruined" vibe from new Star Wars. Which is, of course, very silly.

It was trying to be clever and blather on about good and evil, and I found it much more predictable than the other two.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
This is my opinion on pretty much any SNL actor who went into films. Regardless of era, the majority of them just factory churn out films based around the 2-3 most popular skit character concepts they did, and try and milk that for as much money as they can before they fade into obscurity. It's why all Adam Sandler films are the same premise, Will Ferrell's are the same, Rob Schneider, David Spade, etc. They have one joke, and they play it over and over.

I've never found SNL the show very funny (except when they break character and laugh, but that's not the SHOW being funny), and I've never found the people on it very funny on their own. It's just not a style of comedy and presentation that I can enjoy personally.
Ahh...so that's where they all sprout from! Never seen the show, now never want to. Ferrell doesn't come off as insidious, unlike Sandler though, just equally as persistent and dumb.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ahh...so that's where they all sprout from! Never seen the show, now never want to. Ferrell doesn't come off as insidious, unlike Sandler though, just equally as persistent and dumb.
Eh, I find the outakes of SNL skits, where the cast can't keep from laughing, or something like a prop goes wrong, to be quite funny. Collections of them on youtube can be amusing. But the "regular" skits and show, I just don't enjoy at all.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Always found MadTV funnier than SNL. Same joke on SNL and Mad.

They also did humor SNL's sanitized network never would have dared.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Eh, I find the outakes of SNL skits, where the cast can't keep from laughing, or something like a prop goes wrong, to be quite funny. Collections of them on youtube can be amusing. But the "regular" skits and show, I just don't enjoy at all.
I find SNL pretty insufferable; it’s unintentional cringe comedy that lacks the self-awareness to make it respectable. I liked it well enough in the ‘80s when they had some elite comedians on the cast, but when you’ve got that jackass Kenan Thompson on stage who can’t make it through a skit without breaking character to save his damn life, it’s just painful to watch. When they break and start smiling and giggling at their own humor, or worse, when they break because a punchline falls flat, and you’ve got the inevitable moment of uncomfortable silence or pity laughter from a scant few in the crowd, and they stare into the camera waiting on the next line to save them, it just comes off as… amateurish? Maybe that’s the point? I guess some people like that stuff; hell, the show’s a thousand years old; they must be doing something right.