District 9 Offends Nigerian Government

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
they just milking the fact that they got the 'nigerian milloniare' joke out of the 299 ps3 ad. makes sense to me.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
MaxTheReaper said:
Tolkienfanatic said:
Here is my question... does anyone really give a f*&% what Nigeria thinks?
Don't piss of Nigeria.
You may find your inbox spammed with thousands upon thousands of pleas for help from Nigerian princesses or whatever.

EDIT: You know what, I got it.
How much attention were you paying to Nigeria last week?
None.
How much are you paying now?
He has it, folks. He has it.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Tolkienfanatic said:
Here is my question... does anyone really give a f*&% what Nigeria thinks?
Nope we don't. and does anyone really think of nigerians like the way they are potrayed ? NO !

heck my grandad who was a very inportant person and good willed person was kidnapped by nigerinas ! and I don't think of them as bad, until now ironically.

A message to nigeria . Please grow a pair and while your at it learn the meaning of freedom of speech (something that your country might not have).

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
Oh i don't give a tiny rat's arse i'll still go to see the film. it'll probably be disappointing though.

fuckwit

Jan 4, 2009
FROGGEman2 said:
fuckwit said:
they had it coming, really, the bastards.
Who are the bastards?

...And what's with your name?
To quote CyberGenesis, "Phishing scams, fake lottery winnings, South Africa's ACTUAL problem with nigerian gangs...My sympathy is lacking here."

What of my name? Does it not please you?

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
So...what insinuation is the Nigerian government arguing? That there are prostitutes in Nigeria? Or that Nigerian prostitutes would condescend to sleeping with extra-terrestrials?

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
The thing about Nigeria is that the portrayal in cinema has quite alot of truth in it. What with the criminality, gonocides, religious persecution... it's not a happy place.

And didn't District 9 take place in South Africa? Pretty sure it did.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
If Nigeria doesn't want to be portrayed as a crap nation, maybe they should stop being crap.

And the sick part is, the cannibalism aspect actually has a historical basis, albeit not specifically linked to Nigeria:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/world/africa/08iht-tanzania.1.13549207.html?_r=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Congo_War#Pygmies

I do agree that the bit about interspecies prostitution crossed the line into outright stupid, though. It's not offensive, just DUMB.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
That's fucking bullshit, if when that movie comes out and I buy it and it had even one of it's awesome scenes removed because of some bitchy country I'm gonna be so pissed. How many fucking movies display us (U.S.A.) as a terrible country, you don't here us bitching. I can only think of two movies (V for vendetta, Doomsday[I think but I might be mistaken]) but I'm positive there are a lot more.

Blood_Lined

Mar 31, 2009
Bah, they can complain, why I definitely understand what Nigeria is complaining about, I highly doubt that watching the movie will change our general, already dimmed positive view of the Nigerian country.

Schlorgan

May 31, 2009
Streetfighter said:
I'm pretty sure Sony by now is actually richer and more powerful than the Nigerian government and can quite politely tell them to fuck off
lol

Maybe they should stop doing this stupid stuff that gives them a bad rap

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
I think they need to grow the fuck up to put it bluntly. They are a country, not a school kid getting picked on in school for wearing glasses.

China does the same thing. Exactly the same.

If they don't want the reputation they have to act like an adult and change peoples minds by actions, not crying.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
fuckwit said:
FROGGEman2 said:
fuckwit said:
they had it coming, really, the bastards.
Who are the bastards?

...And what's with your name?
To quote CyberGenesis, "Phishing scams, fake lottery winnings, South Africa's ACTUAL problem with nigerian gangs...My sympathy is lacking here."

What of my name? Does it not please you?
Yeah, but by "they" I assumed you meant Sony. And the whole District 9 production team. I mainly thought this because they are the subjects in this situation.

Uhh, your name is just a little odd, that is all.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
AxelMiller said:
Thats ridicolous. Why do people get so offended these days.
I think it's because it's easier to complain about things then to actually create a solution but that's just my opinion.

Also, welcome to the Escapist.