District 9 Offends Nigerian Government

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
pimppeter2 said:
Nigerian government is trying to rebrand the country as a better place. Thats why their doing all this shit.

Look it up
You know what rebrands a country, to me?

Food, housing, and no AID's.
What can I say?

Thats how they chose to solve thier problems

When I was in office I tried to solve our problems by going *LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU*

Source for anyone intrested: http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13579116

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
You know, I wonder how the Nigerian Government would react if their country REALLY got hated on. You know, like Canada.

tsolless

Jul 15, 2009
Maybe the portrayal of Nigerians is a globally negative one because online scamming is their largest legal industry.

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
Sony! Don't give Nigeria too much ground! They'll start complaining about anything if you wuss out about this too!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
...Really? A small encampment of gangsters, drug-and-arms-dealers, and crazed sociopaths is supposed to represent a whole nation? Did anyone even see it like that? If they're the ones that are supposed to be representative of a nation, wouldn't they be more representative of a country's unstable demographic, not the advanced, political variety?

And what's up with Nigeria complaining about Sony so much? I wonder if they're a bunch of 360 fanboys...

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
Okay, having the Nigerian president's name in the movie as the villain is a little bit of a faux pas on Sony's part (I mean, how did they pick the name if it's not meant to be based on an actual living person?), but at the end of the day, and at the risk of repeating what everyone else is saying: Nigeria, if you don't want to be thought of a nation of scammers and criminals, then FUCKING DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

These scam artists have been doing what they're doing for over a decade, and there's been no slowing down yet. That's called an 'apparent lack of progress.' How hard can they be to track down? I've got two shipping addresses (in Nigeria) given me by a Nigerian scammer who tried to buy two of my eBay auctions, would you like to have them? Okay, they're not maps to the thieves' den, but it IS what our various law-enforcement agencies would call A LEAD.

Hell, put the death penalty out there if you have to. It's a bit harsh for cyber-criminals, but given the damage those scams do (I mean, it's MY taxes paying the welfare of those fools short-sighted enough to fall for those scams), the damage the scammers are doing to your nation's identity and our nation's economy, and the aforementioned 'apparent lack of progress,' is it really that unreasonable?

Okay, I could go on for hours, but like we've all been saying: Nigeria, if you have a problem with how you're portrayed in the media, then PROVE US WRONG.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
NO! I NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE! DON'T TAKE IT OUT OF CINEMAS! WAAAAAGH will be the general response from the public, Nigeria.

As if Sony are going to get rid of this film.

Well, they'd better not.

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
Gee, I wonder if this movie may have reference an ACTUAL THING that happend in Johannesburg....
oh wait....

Also, Johannesburg is in South Africa.

CyberGenesis

Mar 26, 2009
Phishing scams, fake lottery winnings, South Africa's ACTUAL problem with nigerian gangs...My sympathy is lacking here.

Mr. Shoggoth

Jul 29, 2009
Seriously. There was just a one gang of Nigerian gangsters in the entire damn movie. And they weren't even the worst assholes of the movie.
I mean, seriously, guys.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
Cheap Jews have no right complaining about any comments made on how cheap Jewish people are.
Judaism is a religion not a culture, fuckwit. [/ragemode off]

I've barely slept a few hours so perhaps I'll look back at this and think "Damn I was being cranky", we shall see.

Gamine

Mar 7, 2009
FROGGEman2 said:
NO! I NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE! DON'T TAKE IT OUT OF CINEMAS! WAAAAAGH will be the general response from the public, Nigeria.

As if Sony are going to get rid of this film.

Well, they'd better not.
True, my sunday is ruined , i planned to see it n hang out with friends, now its banned
what am i supposed to see now, G.I Joe??????