District 9 Offends Nigerian Government

Aug 4, 2009
Heh.....All I can imagine is Sony reaching for their equivalent of 2 cents and throwing it at the Nigerian officials that will imediatly drop all pretences and probably even do a little song and dance routine for Sony's entertainment. In all seriousness Sony can buy the whole country if they wanted.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
Koeryn said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Machines Are Us said:
I think they need to grow the fuck up to put it bluntly.
Not just grow the fuck up, shut the fuck up. It's just a setting, it's not like they had Ms. Akunyili whoring herself off to the aliens on screen. They are just making themselves look stupid, and I fully embrace this.
Actually, it's better than JUST a setting. You want to know why everything looked so... spot on? Becuase it's filmed in an ACTUAL shanty town, the occupants of which had JUST been evicted and moved to a 'better' place. Actually, basically, what happens in the movie. Only no aliens (or people getting shot with pigs.).

So basically, Nigeria's complaining about having their country shown exactly the way it is. =D
Have you actually seen District 9? Its set in South Africa. Not in Nigeria. There complaining because there's a Nigerian gang in the film thats shown as the "baddies".

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Dear Nigeria,

Screw you.

We changed a commercial for you because we didn't want to offend. However, now you're pushing it, you poor excuse for a third world craphole.

We at Sony hope to offend you more, because everyone in your damn country is a bunch of scammers and sissies, and if you think you deserve special treatment, don't count on it. Oh, and don't expect an apology any time soon.

Signed, Sony.

Shadeovblack

Jul 4, 2009
Knight Templar said:
That is just plain stupid. Did the US goverment ask that Borat be removed because it showed americans in a bad light? No, they were busy GOLFING and didn't have time to ***** and moan.

Fix'd

manicfoot

Apr 16, 2008
What offended me was that black people were subtitled when they were speaking english and not when they were speaking their native tongue.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Dear Nigeria, It's just a ****ing movie. Get over it! You have bigger problems than your image in a science-fiction movie.

Gamine

Mar 7, 2009
i am offended by the Govt's stance.

it is just ridiculous,

While i'm not cheering Sony on,

the truth hurts.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
It seems like they are getting pissed off about a lot of little things lately doesn't it?

DarthInfernus

Sep 16, 2009
Did the Koreans ***** about Crysis? No. Do the Germans ***** about Nazis (at least the leadership, many of the soldiers are portrayed as normal people who just happen to be Nazi soldiers, which gains my respect) being psychopathic murderous assholes? No. Do Americans complain about our "we are the unstoppable heroic badasses" image? They should, because that one is actually false. What I'm trying to say is, don't ***** about the truth. If people start spreading bullshit about you, then feel free.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Wow that's ridiculous the gang wasn't all of Nigeria it was a CRIMINAL gang, jeez.... where did I leave that cat-food....

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I'm not surprised this has happened, more surprised that it took so long.

The reasoning by it is that Nigerian gangs are a problem in south africa. If aliens where to land here, of coarse the local gangs would try to make a profit, be it though weapons, food or interspecies prostitution. The cannabilism part could be seen as a direct hit at Nigerians but gangs have been known to do terrible stuff like this. If they had a reason, such as the ability to use incredible weapons then yes, maybe some of these gangs would turn to cannabalism (if you can call it that, they are from another planet after all).

It's a difficult thing, as the film does make references to voodoo rituals from Nigerias past and there is no mention of any other gangs. But is it enough to have what can only be described as a hissy fit? No, of coarse not. I wish people would just grow up sometimes.

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
anyone that gets scammed by a nigerian is an idiot, I dont blame the scammers.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
'My father used to say. The first time someone calls you a horse, you punch him on the nose. The second time somebody calls you a horse, you call him a jerk. But the third time somebody calls you a horse, well, then, perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle.'

Cookie to anyone who gets the reference.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Wow if they think this is bad I hope they don't get there hands on a copy of Far Cry 2 were every African you see out of a cease fire zone will try and kill a foreigner, were every African is armed to the teeth and you play a character who actively guns down Africans... every Nigerian would shit them selves in anger.

OT: Me'h fuck'em there just staining there image more and more with every complaint, maybe if you deal with your criminals, corrupt officials and stopped killing your own people rather then complaining at a software company that could buy and sell your country 3 times over just because they make a film were your portrayed as murderous basterds you are*, then maybe the media wont portray your country as a place full of Criminals. Sort your crime rate out before complaining about it's portrayal.

*If your not a Nigerian Criminal or Politician then that statement does not apply to you in any shape or form.

Gamine

Mar 7, 2009
Also, the Movie exposes South Africa's xenophobia and racist outlook.

They think Nigerians are the source of their problems,

they are definately on a different think

Dottie

May 6, 2009
What the hell is Nigeria gonna do? Are they gonna make the worlds most convincing scam e-mail and send it to Sony?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Wow. Between Resident Evil 5, Sony's Ads, and this, Why does it seem like they're pointing at a picture of Africa and saying "THIS PLACE BE FUCKED".