District 9 Offends Nigerian Government

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
I think that Nigeria would be better served by a government that spends more time and effort fixing its all-too-numerous problems at home (alas) than it spends on getting all pissy about its depiction in world media. This is not an image problem... this is an existance problem, one that needs to be dealt with and not papered over with press releases.

-- Steve
This... Ya, I'm going to go with this.

red_dawn_97

Aug 25, 2009
Terramax said:
red_dawn_97 said:
the story actually tries to show that if we don't do something about modern society then the nigerian people will become prawns in a giant district 9
OMG anything but prawns! As soon as people become prawns then society is finished.
fine then mini dick cheneys and richard nixons

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Machines Are Us said:
I think they need to grow the fuck up to put it bluntly. They are a country, not a school kid getting picked on in school for wearing glasses.
Totally. Do you hear about Transylvanians complaining about being Vampires, or English people all being "Evil"?
You mean we aren't? I better take that doomsday device back to the shops, *grumbles* Now I've got to find that damn receipt *grumbles*.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
LOL. These guys are the kids in the play ground going "You're picking on me, I'm telling my mummy on you."

So whatever, they feel the whole world is against them, so I might as well add to it! This is a very, very, very anti Nigerian message. "Penis. That is all."

I'm sure they can find a way to make it offensive to them.

Deleric

Dec 29, 2008
olikunmissile said:
LOL. These guys are the kids in the play ground going "You're picking on me, I'm telling my mummy on you."

So whatever, they feel the whole world is against them, so I might as well add to it! This is a very, very, very anti Nigerian message. "Penis. That is all."

"What, are you saying we have small penises?"

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Deleric said:
olikunmissile said:

"What, are you saying we have small penises?"
Give the man a cookie. And a hug. And the next beer is on me.

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
My god, Nigeria, stop whining! Last week, Stephen Colbert of the Colbert Report attempted a world record for most insults on Mexico in a single news segment. Did Mexico complain? No.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Arbitrary Cidin said:
My god, Nigeria, stop whining! Last week, Stephen Colbert of the Colbert Report attempted a world record for most insults on Mexico in a single news segment. Did Mexico complain? No.
I can't really see that world record as being hard to do. You would have thought very few people would measure how many times they insult Mexico in a news segment.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
this is rather stupid, even more so than that Sony thing. i mean anyone who should be pissed off is the South Africans considering what the film is about

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
as long as Nigeria continues to allow people from there to scam people from all over the world, I say a round Bite My Ass to it and its government. Its just a movie, be glad your shitty little pissant of a country was in the movies.

((laughs that the news editor actually used the phrase "rattled their cages))

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
You know what works better than complaining about how your country's portrayed?

Giving your own country a better image and make it known to be something more than a nation of scammers and murderers.
Because let's be honest, this is ALL people think of with Nigeria and if Nigeria themselves can't stop that, they have only themselves to blame.

piez13

Sep 2, 2009
nilcypher said:
District 9 Offends Nigerian Government

"We feel very bad about this because the film clearly denigrated Nigeria's image by portraying us as if we are cannibals..."

Uh, what? I didn't know that the consumption of other, nonhuman beings was considered cannibalism.

Also, shut the fuck up, Nigeria. They're the criminals, not your entire goddamn populace.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
I could have sworn that this movie just featured a small group of people who happen to be Nigerian with a slightly crazy leader who want to use voodoo magic in order to turn himself into a human/alien hybrid and become a 'god' or something, as well as ruling over the prawns and scamming them for all their worth.

Either District 9 has accidentally hit the nail on the head with them, or they're being a tinsy bit over defensive. I'm hoping for the formal, cause that'd be so awesome...

minoes

Aug 28, 2008
Ok, how does this sound?

[I/]"Damn dirty niggers, how dare they feel offended about being portrayed as the soulless animals they are. Don´t they know that freedom of speech is only for white people, you bunch of retarded, backwards monkeys."[/I]

Pretty offensive if you ask me. But I guess that is what happens when you make a half assed allegory of the apartheid.