District 9 Offends Nigerian Government

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Being made fun of in an ad, or having a bad portrayal in a movie, is a fantastic opportunity for Nigeria to make the case that these portrayals are fictitious. Or at the very least, that they are moving away from the truth behind these portrayals. Instead, they are drawing attention to themselves being upset by these portrayals, which makes everyone think that they must be true. Your shooting yourself in the foot, and opening yourself to ridicule. Seriously, other countries have to deal with portrayals which are far worse.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
nilcypher said:
Armitage Shanks said:
nilcypher said:
"and our ladies shown like prostitutes sleeping with extra-terrestrial beings."
Nil, are you helping Wilson out with Reliable Source this week?
That's a genuine quote apparently.
Makes it all the more funny, because she basically portrayed herself as a xenophobe there. Yep, that's what she did. And not just herself, but the rest of her fellow citizens.

Quizmaster

Sep 1, 2009
Wow,Nigeria...this is why we can't have nice things.Because you'll get your chocolate all up in Nigeria's peanut butter,and they didn't WANT Reeses.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Baron Khaine said:
Have you actually seen District 9? Its set in South Africa. Not in Nigeria. There complaining because there's a Nigerian gang in the film thats shown as the "baddies".
Um, yeah the Nigerian gangsters in the film were pretty nasty, but they were small potatoes compared to MNU. I think that the juxtaposition was deliberate, though; after all, these "vicious cannibals" were only trying to do exactly what MNU was trying to do, just with fewer resources and less science-y stuff to back them up.

(Phrased to spoil no spoilers.)

-- Steve

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Knight Templar said:
That is just plain stupid. Did the US goverment ask that Borat be removed because it showed americans in a bad light? No, they were busy doing their jobs
well, let's not go that far... XD
and didn't have time to ***** and moan.

Maybe Nigeria would have a better image if it stopped the shady dealing that occure within it, instead of complaining whenever sometime isn't nice to them. They are not so important as to get away with this ever time, and if a single company says no they'll look like fools.
Exactly. Can't rape the willing, can't be slander if it's true.

Coldsnap

Oct 24, 2008
Wait, how are they cannibals? They were eating aliens in the movie, who are clearly not their own species.

Also the movie was portraying a criminal group that happened to be Nigerians and I have to say, so what? There have been movies with the mafia and any other criminal group of any nationality you could think of.

Mar 16, 2009
Chicago Ted said:
'My father used to say. The first time someone calls you a horse, you punch him on the nose. The second time somebody calls you a horse, you call him a jerk. But the third time somebody calls you a horse, well, then, perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle.'

Cookie to anyone who gets the reference.
Lucky Number Slevin

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
red_dawn_97 said:
the story actually tries to show that if we don't do something about modern society then the nigerian people will become prawns in a giant district 9
OMG anything but prawns! As soon as people become prawns then society is finished.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
nilcypher said:
Armitage Shanks said:
nilcypher said:
"and our ladies shown like prostitutes sleeping with extra-terrestrial beings."
Nil, are you helping Wilson out with Reliable Source this week?
That's a genuine quote apparently.
Makes it all the more funny, because she basically portrayed herself as a xenophobe there. Yep, that's what she did. And not just herself, but the rest of her fellow citizens.
Yeah, i'm wierd I guess because I thought "Wow, how foreward thinking of those prostitutes to service the giant Cockroach". I thought it meant the hookers were the goodguys.

....Now I have to see this movie just to see how that situation went down.

Reparations

Sep 19, 2009
Anybody who is an honest white person will admit that there were some attacks on Nigeria with some racial overtones. I sure wish Peter Jackson and the rest of the Jews in hollywood would show the same hyper sensitivity to other peoples feelings that they show to Jews and Israel when its time to green light films.

Reparations

Sep 19, 2009
Anybody who is an honest white person will admit that there were some attacks on Nigeria with some racial overtones. I sure wish Peter Jackson and the rest of the Jews in hollywood would show the same hyper sensitivity to other peoples feelings that they show to Jews and Israel when its time to green light films.

PlagueRat

Oct 29, 2008
This coming from a country renowned for its scamming people. They've never complained about that. And yet the eating aliens thing sends them into a frenzy. Talk about misplaced priorities.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
Good f**king lord. First it was an advertisment, now they are complaining about what was probably one of the best movies, if not the best movie of the summer. The Nigerian government needs to just shut the f**k up. Seriously if any one needed a good *Boot to the Head* it's the Nigerian government.

Feb 13, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
I think they need to grow the fuck up to put it bluntly. They are a country, not a school kid getting picked on in school for wearing glasses.
Totally. Do you hear about Transylvanians complaining about being Vampires, or English people all being "Evil"?

Nigerian Information Minister Dora Akunyili
Sony, no swiping. Sony, no swiping. Sony, no swiping!

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
I think Sony should do two things simultaniously.

1. Give an sincere sounding apology to Nigeria for District 9
2. Revert the PS3 commercial to it's original version