Do girls like men who can cook?

Serge A. Storms

Oct 7, 2009
From experience with friends that can cook, being able to cook is a panty peeler if you're going for the right type of girl. Younger girls, scene chicks, and girls that only put out for a guy with the right car aren't going to be as into guys that can actually cook, but the upside is that when you find someone that appreciates the talent, you're almost definitely getting some, and you already know that she won't give you VD or call you up one day to inform you that she's about three months late.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
I sure hope so, I can make plenty of great appetizers, entrees, and pastries and it would be great if that skill could pay off in others ways other than tasting good.

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
I did some work as a pastry chef in a couple of restaurants before coming to uni - my girlfriend LOVES this. To anybody who says cooking is unmanly, I present my 12", perfectly sharpened I.O. Shen chef's knife.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
TotalHobNob said:
All the girls I've been with think its weak.
Maybe they want something different in their mouths... 'Ya know...

OT:
Sure, cooking won't really attract those women, unless you make them taste what you're cooking. But in the long term, when you are already married, it's a good talent. A married couple with no one good in cooking may even end up with divorce. Just keep your skills up!

(Just for the record, my specialty is with crafting coffee, and people love my coffee. In terms of main dishes et. al., I lack the skill in presenting my food in an enticing way. :/)

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Seneschal said:
I don't get it; what is so repulsive about being able to prepare food? Even at the most animalistic level, it's a fantastic survival skill. From a civilized viewpoint, it's practically a resume-worthy skill. Hell, put it right there with "speaks Spanish and Afrikaans". You'll be known as "the guy who brings those delicious canapés to the office". How is it manlier and more attractive to be incompetent, it makes no sense!
Because cooking well is portrayed as having its own kind of finesse, it doesn't match the overly masculine view of brute strength. Sure, you can say physically difficult tasks like carpentry could have 'finesse', but at that point you are kind of stretching the word to its masculine extremes.

So yeah, certain skills are not only associated with femininity (cooking, sewing, dancing, etc), but also incorporate an anti-masculine trait (in the case of cooking, it tends to be flair or finesse). Now I'm not saying that men cooking is a bad thing, I myself love to cook (I'm male), I'm just trying to say why I think it may be considered a bad thing, though I think an important point is that it probably matters more to other men than women, seeing how competitive and insecure men can get about their gender identities.

Sgt.Weirdo

Aug 31, 2010
Girls DO actually like a guy who can cook... Ladies like to be pampered and they like good food. The older they are the more they'll appreciate it.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Hell yes. You must have been dating the wrong women then.
Every woman I know would kill for a man that is willing to cook for them.

You would have women at your door every night over here. I'm so serious.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
TotalHobNob said:
I am man who knows how to cook and my friends usually give me shit for it. All the girls I've been with think its weak. So my question is do women like men who can cook really well?
The woman you have been with hated it?!
What sort of woman are you seeing?
Do they have some sort of mentality that it is 'womans work' or something?

Just let them know that it was considered 'bad luck' for a woman to be in a kitchen during the old days and that male chefs where the only ones considered skilled enough to handle food more complex then stew. That it has only been a recent change to the social mentality, and even then mostly limited to the 'western' countries, that have made it womans work. Even to this day, in many countries, it is still considered wrong to eat food prepared by a woman not part of your immediate family.

So yes, many countries still view knowing how to cook well as a positive masculine trait.

It is my experience that most woman just love men who know how to prepare food and are willing enough to make complex dishes for them to enjoy. They consider it extra romantic if pulled off right and that isn't hard to do. Set a nice table and wait on them, serving food prepared well by yourself that you know they enjoy, and leave the impression that they can have that every night if they are willing. See how many of them still hate the idea of a man in the kitchen after that.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Yes they do, doesn't mean a man SHOULD do it (depending on the relationship, jobs etc) , but it helps and brings the partnership closer IMO

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Sleekit said:
Biosophilogical said:
Seneschal said:
I don't get it; what is so repulsive about being able to prepare food? Even at the most animalistic level, it's a fantastic survival skill. From a civilized viewpoint, it's practically a resume-worthy skill. Hell, put it right there with "speaks Spanish and Afrikaans". You'll be known as "the guy who brings those delicious canapés to the office". How is it manlier and more attractive to be incompetent, it makes no sense!
Because cooking well is portrayed as having its own kind of finesse, it doesn't match the overly masculine view of brute strength. Sure, you can say physically difficult tasks like carpentry could have 'finesse', but at that point you are kind of stretching the word to its masculine extremes.

So yeah, certain skills are not only associated with femininity (cooking, sewing, dancing, etc), but also incorporate an anti-masculine trait (in the case of cooking, it tends to be flair or finesse). Now I'm not saying that men cooking is a bad thing, I myself love to cook (I'm male), I'm just trying to say why I think it may be considered a bad thing, though I think an important point is that it probably matters more to other men than women, seeing how competitive and insecure men can get about their gender identities.
dude, basically all the best professional chefs in the world are men...
That wasn't what I was stating. I was referring to the effects of gender roles on people's perceptions of a man cooking. Even in reference to proffesional male chefs, it is rarely (if ever) their cooking skill that expresses masculinity. They can be respected for their phenomenal skill, but I have never seen someone say, or look like they want to say, "Wow, that guy cooked me an incredibly fancy meal, how very masculine of him".

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Malikaw said:
WHY THE FUCK DID I READ THIS AS "DO GIRLS LIKE MEN WHO CAN TAKE COCK"
Oh god WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME
The answer there is still yes... but let us not try and figure that one out.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Those girls are crazy. The ability to cook is one of the most desirable qualities a man can have (it means he won't expect you to do it every single time).

Jun 23, 2008
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
Where I live, if you aren't a chauvinist, you're not a man.
And I don't date men.

I don't swing that way
*heterosexual male, here*
Without the last line explaining it, that logically parses in some interesting ways.

Anyhow, where you live makes me think of Yahtzee's manly vs. macho essay.

238U

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
Every women who's ever learned I liked to cook has had the hots for me, or at least thought it was cool.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
are you communicating from an alternate dimension where people eat rocks, and anything that tastes edible is considered to be committing a crime simply by existing? do the people there have shoes in their mouths because that's the popular fashion trend as well?

alright, I'll stop joking, but seriously, cooking is a great skill, sometimes a talent. what're they complaining for?