Do people actually buy games based on Yahtzee's reviews?

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
hes hated on alot of games ive really enjoyed. but hes not a reviewer, hes a critic and is there to point out flaws not say what games are good.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Furburt said:
I certainly avoid buying games he absolutely hates. Not because of some twisted fandom, just that when I buy a game he blams it always turns out to be horrible.
Your game collection must consist of about 4 games then...

DavisJ3608

The Supremely Awesome
Mar 18, 2009
I've actually bought several games because of things he said. For example, Saints Row 2 was on sale on Steam for a few bucks, and I remembered Yahtzee saying he liked it better than GTA4, which I'd never actually played but I know a bunch of people who love it. I picked it up and I absolutely love it, so, yeah...

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Absolutely not. I watch his reviews because they're funny, but I do not at all see them as a reliable source to base my gaming purchases on. Of course he does sometimes make good points but he's also mostly accentuating the negative about everything.

I didn't really like Saints Row 2 but loved Metal Gear Solid 4 and I'm proud of it.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
HaHaHortness said:
Not to say that Yahtzee doesn't have good points, many times I watch his videos thinking, "Finally, someone who agrees with me." But the comments I see in a Yahtzee thread are just unbelievable in how in rhythm everyone is to the review.

"I was considering buying Super Military Adventures because it seems to have many things I like but now that Yahtzee has bashed it I know not to even try it out."

Like I said, he has good points, but you really should be careful when listening to someone who's made a career out of always giving bad reviews. Okay, so he's made good reviews, but he's also said in reviews things to the effect of, "People don't like it when I give good reviews so I'll just stomp on everything I don't like."
I sure don't listen to him. He's funny, very funny, but not exactly objective. His taste is just different from mine and I know that.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
His reviews did influence me a bit. His take on Arkham Asylum only strengthened my resolve to play it, and part of the reason I went after No More Heroes. So far, I've learned that the odds are in favor of his definition of fun and my definition of fun being very different.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
gamepopper101 said:
You know what I hate, I buy a game I've been waiting for months to get, and enjoy every minute of it, only to find that his next review is that very game. That happened to me twice, I hated his review of The Conduit, but I was kind of confused with his Bowser's Inside Story review, I had no idea whether he liked it more or he hated it more, though I love it.
You know what I hate? People who think someone else's opinion somehow hampers their own enjoyment of something. If you like/dislike something, then fuck what everyone else thinks. It's YOUR opinion. Why should their opinion affect your enjoyment of anything?

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
He convinced me to go pick up copies of Psychonauts, Saints Row II, Thief III(which has introduced me to stealth games and i really enjoy them now) and finally Silent Hill 2 (which has introduced me to suspense games which i also now really enjoy too). Does he stop me from purchasing games? No but I'm VERY frugal when it comes to my video game budget, so I only rarely buy games anyway. I fully plan on buying Fallout 3 which I enjoyed a LOT, so I don't know where I'm going with this other than he has made me pick up two genres outside my comfort zone...

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
HaHaHortness said:
"I was considering buying Super Military Adventures because it seems to have many things I like but now that Yahtzee has bashed it I know not to even try it out."

Like I said, he has good points, but you really should be careful when listening to someone who's made a career out of always giving bad reviews.
I guess your question is "Do people actually NOT buy games based on Yahtzee's reviews", then? I sure hope not, but then again, there's a lot of stupid literally oozing out of the ZP comment threads (not that I had any first-hand knowledge of that), so I guess there's a lot of people who do.. don't... well, you know what I mean.

But the other way round, it's a good way to go. As you said, Yahtzee has made a career out of trashing games, so if there's one that he really PRAISES, I just have to check it out. I wouldn't for the life of me have tried CoD 4, but Yahtzee's drooling made me forget my disdain for military shooters.

JaneDoe

Aug 28, 2009
Of the games Yahtzee has reviewed that I have played, I found his opinions to mirror mine.

Also I find, that although he criticises a lot of game aspects, he won't just say 'it's shit', he will justify his opinion before launching into a cascade of insults. For these reasons, If Yahtzee slags a game off in his review I can pretty safely assume It's not a game I want to invest in.

However, he does not fully dictate my gaming purchases. Most recently against his advice I did purchase Scribblenauts (To play on the bus to work), mainly because GAME had a trade in deal on at the time. This was a mistake.

Anyway my point is, as I'm not a high earner my game purchases are limited, so I don't like buying a game only to find its crappy and a waste of money, So I take his reviews under advice.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
if he praises somehing, you know it's good. if he bashes it, it's what he always does, nd you'd better get yourself a less biased review

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
HaHaHortness said:
Not to say that Yahtzee doesn't have good points, many times I watch his videos thinking, "Finally, someone who agrees with me." But the comments I see in a Yahtzee thread are just unbelievable in how in rhythm everyone is to the review.

Like I said, he has good points, but you really should be careful when listening to someone who's made a career out of always giving bad reviews. Okay, so he's made good reviews, but he's also said in reviews things to the effect of, "People don't like it when I give good reviews so I'll just stomp on everything I don't like."
I just use gamefly.

It isn't really all that complicated :p.

thebrainiac1

Jul 11, 2009
I never buy anything based on one person's opinion, be it video games, a car or a new computer.

I read/watch loads of reviews, ask friends who have similar tastes, and play demos if possible. Then I decide to put down my hardearned cash, or not.

Above

Oct 3, 2009
No,yahtzee is funny rather than serious.I Buy a few games and they where like he said but i dont buy because he reviews them

brumby

Jan 7, 2009
i bought saints row because of his review. But I bought it for PC off steam. the PC version is horrible!! so buggy and glitchy and never goes above 30fps.

Octarine

Oct 28, 2009
Kinda. I'm not gonna go rushing to the shops to buy games he talks rainbows about, but I have steered clear of titles in the past if he has said they are a bit rubbish.

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
Sometimes I'll check what he has to say if I'm really kind of unsure whether it's worth the cash, but Yahtzee is, as he has said repeatedly, a critic. He usually doesn't bash the game as a whole, just the parts that suck. It gives you an idea of what to look out for, and if he mentions something you know you're gonna hate, be aware that you might hate the game. That said, if you play it and like it then the hell with the great British bastard. Yahtzee doesn't do what he does to tell anybody what games to play or not play, just do what you enjoy.