Do people actually buy games based on Yahtzee's reviews?

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah, I have. Just Painkiller, but still.

I actually think Yahtzee can be a pretty good indicator of if you should by somehting or not. He makes a lot of valid points. We already know that game X is good -- we don't need someone else to tell us. It is useful, however, to have someone telling us why that good game isn't so good, so we can see if it's a good buy for us.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
He is an ok source to listen to about games, but if you took his literal advice about every game you wouldn't be playing very many. A lot of stuff he points out is true, but sometimes I feel he nitpicks just for the sake of nitpicking.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I enjoy his reviews and they probably do influence me on some level, but I don't think they've made me buy a game or refuse to buy a game yet.

Also, I agree with him that many games made are bad these days. He doesn't try to stomp on all games, he just points out flaws, it's a good thing to listen to if you are making a game and trying to avoid making it bad. He said he enjoyed Arkham Asylum and Infamous, he doesn't hate all games :O

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
I like the show, and I agree with some of what he says, but the only person I listen to when spending money is myself, seeing as it is MY money.

But when he absolutely hates something it usually is pretty bad, and when he really likes something it probably is pretty good.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Usually no, even though he makes a few good points he also makes a ton that make me scratch my head in confusion.

I gave in on Psychonauts though. Didn't really like it (think I might have caught the overhype), still, at least I can say I've played it ^^

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I'll take his recommendations into consideration, because things that annoy him generally annoy me in video games too, but it's only up to a point. I know he's not the right source for me to go to for RPGs or RTS games - and he admits that - because those are genres I pretty much always like. I usually come to my own decision about games that I'm not going to buy in advance, simply because I can't afford it, but, because Yahtzee talks about the features in a game and what it's like to live with, I'm more likely to consider buying a game if he gives it a favourable rundown if it's a game I wouldn't have thought about buying otherwise, because I know his standards are high (and, besides, he gets more hits when he rips a game to shreds, so, if he says a lot of good things, they're probably true.) =3

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
Those are reviews. Hell, they're just funny. I never take any intellectual stimulation from them (except when he makes poop jokes).

oblivion lover

Jul 24, 2009
Furioso said:
Furburt said:
I certainly avoid buying games he absolutely hates. Not because of some twisted fandom, just that when I buy a game he blams it always turns out to be horrible.
Your game collection must consist of about 4 games then...
see thats wrong he dose not absalutly hate all games he just points out their bad point its what hes good at and he dose it well i find that genral speeking hes right and i've got around 30 games for PS3 and he has said there all ether good or arent completly crap (ecept GTA4 although not mine my big bros i hate it)

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Most likely some do and some don't. I never buy games based off someones else's opinion other than my own.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I don't, but that's usually because if I want a game, I'll already have it before he reviews it.

philzibit

May 25, 2009
if he actually praises a game, I might double-take at it, other than that i just think he's amusing. I actually hope to see him bash a game I just bought and like, just outta amusement.

Twilightruler

Jul 3, 2009
I've only bought one based solely on his review, and a gameplay video on youtube and that was painkiller. And he was right, to quote him, "...Painkiller is fucking awesome." However, not to say that I'm such a devoted fan that I would shun good games just because he didn't like them.
For example, I enjoyed assassins creed, I enjoyed Gears of War, etc. I do agree with him on Halo 3 though, but I hated halo long before I even knew these reviews existed. I also enjoy the fighting genre and don't hate all JRPGs.

But often, I will use his reviews to decide whether or not to buy a game if I'm on the fence about it. Prototype was a good example, I didn't really know whether or not to get it...I was debating for a week or so. Hell, googling prototype review is how I found this website. After his review I was still a bit on the fence but I was beginning to fall off it so I got it. Lo' and behold, I really liked it.
General Vagueness said:
I've been meaning to try the Painkiller demo for the same reason...
Quick note about the painkiller demo, the demo sucks. For some reason I lagged immensely on a relatively high end system. I would still play it for the sake of seeing if you basically would enjoy it, but just note that the actually game itself is much more refined and doesn't really lag at all on a good system. Even when it does, it's only when half the population of hell is chasing you down.

oblivion lover

Jul 24, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
I take the things he says into consideration but i don't base my decisions on his words alone. Though i must admit that even though he is mostly a comedian some of his reviews are arguably more accurate then many reviews from allot of real proper review sites like IGN and Gamespot. Did anyone besides Yahtzee call Halo 3 a run of the mill game while also expressing disappointment in GTA4?
my god i beleve you must be the only person other than myself to notace that halo 3 and GTA4 are not rully that good and of course Yahtzee

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
anything he praises i generally checkout and if i like it i buy it. anything he blams i avoid. his reviews are mainly for entertainment but being so harsh certainly gives him more credit in my book and i havent had a case where he liked a game that i didnt also like.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
If I bought games based solely Yahtzee's reviews, I'd only own The Orange Box, Thief (1,2), and Saint's Row (1,2). So, no. I take him more as a comedy games hater. It's funny but I don't take it all seriously. Here's a little thing I drew up:
Yahtzee-Personal Opinion
Great=Great/Good Game
Bad=Good/Mediocre Game
Horrible-Mediocre/Bad

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I bought inFamous because Yahtzee liked it and he was pretty much spot on with his review. The same goes for Saints Row 2. On the other hand I didn't listen to him about Mirror's Edge and soon wished afterwards that I had. He really knows what makes a good game.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
I bought Saints Row 2 before he reviewed it. Still found it awesome.

If he bashes on Tekken 6, I won't listen to him and still buy it because I know I will love it.

Trako

Jul 23, 2008
I got Saints Row 2 before GTA IV because of his review. I agree with his reviews at least 90% of the time, but I never treat any reviewer as the end-all be all.

oblivion lover

Jul 24, 2009
nut tekan 6 like all of the serise will be crap there never good they have no story and yes this one has a sort of story but not a proper story that the whole game is based around all the game is is beating random people up so its crap