Do you judge people by their spelling?

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
If you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and also "their", "there" and "they're" I will make it my life's mission to make sure that you do.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
That bothers me a little, especially if the poster is talking about something he claims to be knowledgeable about, but can't spell the technical terms correctly. It's never made me disregard someone though.

What does make me look down on someone is bad grammar. Not just comma splicing or whatever, I'm talking about stuff that takes a real determination not to re-read your posts. notusing full stops is the worst offender it maeks the whole sentence not readable unless you consciously go back and place one there consciously.

These kind of posts make me want to choke a *****.

pezmanon

Feb 6, 2011
it depends on the situation. With in-game chat it is practical to purposely misspell words lie coz and u, because of time limitations. I usually would judge people on spelling, especially if I know english is their native language. There is undeniably a correlation between spelling accuracy and intelligence, so it seems natural to judge people on this basis.

Scrubiii

Apr 19, 2011
For making a genuine typo or spelling mistake, no. For typing "OMG u fukin retarrd u r sooo dum u gay fagort LOLZ", yes.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
I don't like bad spelling. If the title of a Facebook group has a spelling error, for instance, I won't join it. But I make spelling mistakes myself, so it would be hypocritical of me to dub someone stupid from spelling errors alone.

lior13

Jul 21, 2009
the only judge the pepole who have grammar mastikes.
been dislktic dosnt is an excus for poor grammar and as you proubly guest im dislktic espsly in English

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
I judge people somewhat, depending on the extent of the mistakes. If you can't be bothered to put the effort in to make your opinion appear respectable, then your opinion is likely not worth reading.

People I judge very harshly are people with bad spelling and grammar and try and excuse it by claiming they have dyslexia. As I have dyslexia myself, I know that just means you have to try even harder, it's not an excuse to stop trying altogether.

Karma168 said:
only if its bloody stupid spelling errors like saying 'teh' instead of the. complex words and similar sounding words like there which have many different meanings dependent on spelling can be forgiven as English may not be the posters 1st language.

but 'teh' is not even a word, unless you put it an a satirical sentence then you should go sit in the corner and leave the conversation to the adults.
That's a typo, not a spelling mistake. They know full well hot to spell "the", they're just typing quickly and so hit the keys in the wrong order.

Ambient

Nov 19, 2009
Usually no, but when I read posts where 28 words out of 35 word are misspelled, and it's from the same person, I staple the person as either lazy or dumb.

lokun489

Jun 3, 2010
Only with repeat horrible spellings. In other words only when their spelling gets in the way.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Lacsapix said:
hudsonzero said:
i'm dyslexic so no.
As am I.
Its not the spelling that's hard, its the grammar

I am Dutch with a German mother so I can't do worse in spelling/grammar.
I am dyslexic and was born in Germany, followed by moving to the UK at the age of 8, so in short my spelling and grammar are crap. This often leads to me not being able to use the lexicon(vocabulary) that I want to use or misspelling that lexicon as a completely different word (also I pretty much have to guess when to use a ',' or a '.' a lot of the time).

Naepa34

Dec 10, 2010
Generally, for simple spelling mistakes, I can let it pass. As with a lot of people it seems, if someone is simply ranting and giving no thought into their post, then I just ignore it. If you don't have the decency to at least make an argument look neat, then its usually not worth listening to.
Somewhat on topic, a few weeks ago, in an actual college level classroom, I saw this girl spell scavenger as "scavengar" and traveling as "travelling". Keep in mind, this was as I was looking at her notes, in an actual, college junior level academic setting. I'll be honest, I judged her instantly.

BuGGaTon

Feb 11, 2009
hudsonzero said:
i'm dyslexic so no.
This is a sentence riddled with idiocy. I'm dyslexic but that doesn't mean I don't try to spell things correctly. If I notice I've made a mistake, I correct it. The idea that your disability means you don't think less of others for being so careless or ignorant with their typing or speaking is downright embarrassing.

tommy15994

Jan 22, 2011
In the medium of typing, I hate the short hand text language. u instead of you etc, however i will accept it when using a typing thing in the PS3 or such. Its just too awkward. And does anyone else think doing text language on a phone is actually harder than typing correctly. Although I Do Find It Irritating When People Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word. I Mean Why?

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I do, I find people that have extremely poor spelling such as "y dont u lik me???" to instantly have lost alot of my interest in anything they have to say and increase how skeptical I am of their intelligence. If a person makes a typo here and there that would be harmless but communicating like a 12 year old girl trying to text her 'bff' is ridiculous. (I have nothing against 12 year old girls. Just their spelling. Which is usually horrible. Usually because they are 12.) Ironically enough one of the captcha words is enunciated.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
Anoni Mus said:
You must be American and think English is the only language spoken in the World...
Well, I'm German, and I stopped switching their/there/there're/they're, now/no/know, to/too/two and similar words some time in sixth grade. It's not difficult, it's completely logical, and unless you have some kind of mental disability (like dyslexia) there (!) is no (!) excuse to make mistakes of this kind.

Jun 7, 2010
Depends, if they're dyslexic then of course not. If english is their second language then that's fine. I forgive some errors like not capitalising nouns (i almost never do it).

However getting your and you're and their, they're and there mixed up and not using apostrophes and fullstops correctly (i'm looking at you fanfiction writers) gets me annoyed and dont get me started on the fuckers who use u instead of you

Kurenaino

Oct 29, 2010
Not for poor spelling, but I do for bad grammar. I myself am an abhorrent speller, and I didn't learn the difference between there/their/they're until eighth grade where I had a revelation. But poor grammar drives me up a wall.