Do you read why fellow posters get put on probation?

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
All the time. Usually to see if I agree with the punishment (about half and half).

It satisfies a curiosity of mine.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, I do that sometimes. Usually out of curiosity. On more than a few occasions I found myself wondering what was so bad about the post, but I guess the mods know what they're doing.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I always do it out of curiosity. Most of the time the ones I see I agree that the person deserved it. But there has been a few where I fail to see what was so bad about the post.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
I do it a lot and I, normally, see good enough reasons to punish someone. What I question is how do they decide what level of punishment someone gets. I've seen someone start a thread for the complete purpose of trolling. The whole thread was him getting his jollies pissing people off. He even admitted half way through that he was a troll. He got less than a week of probation.

Then I see people do far less and get hit with more punishment. Either some mods are more lenient than others or they play favorites.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I originally did it to see what to avoid doing. Managed to avoid "Moderator Wrath" fairly well, recent warning notwithstanding.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
I do it every once in a while in hopes of finding something totally absurd.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Yes, I do. Seeing why others get slapped upside the head by the moderation team helps me avoid the same, in my opinion.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
I really love reading inflammatory comments, so I always rubber-band to the post that got someone banned.

Grigori361

Apr 6, 2009
I do so all the time, it makes me think, "hmmmm, now how can I out do that?" (insert dead baby necrophilia/incest joke here)

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Yeah, I do that all the time. For a number of reasons.
First, I could get a laugh out of the users stupid behaviour
Second, Remember people "Who monitors the monitors?"

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I always like to see what people get in trouble for because then I know what not to do. I've seen a few people say that they would say something if they weren't afraid of getting in trouble, which I find sad. Most of the probations and whatnot I've seen aren't actually all that bad. Some were because the person was giving someone a hard time about grammar, and other similar things. I've seen a guy make a speech that would make any Skinhead proud, and he didn't get probation until a day or two later, where some of the stupid ones got probation for much less and got it much faster.

I've seen some legitimate punishments, but some are just stupid. I like to think that I dance that line every day though, and honestly, I'm a little suprised that I haven't gotten at least a warning considering how many people I've annoyed.

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
I normally do. Hopefully try and get a laugh out of them.
Sometimes they're funny, but mostly they aren't. Takes one to be "Max" to be really funny though. Only a few people will understand me.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I don't check why people are on probation, partly because I don't really care and it seems people go on probation somewhat often.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Trolldor said:
Griffolion said:
Hi everyone,

It's a really weird habit of mine. When i see that a poster is put on probation, i click the link that takes you to the post that got them in trouble and read it to see what the fuss was about. I tend to do it a lot for some reason and i certainly hope i'm not the only one!

What do you guys do?
Usually no explanation is given.
A few things I understand (Don't admit/advocate piracy)

But when it says "Be more polite with your response" it's just absurdly unjustified.
What do you mean? The Escapist is formost about creating a respectful, polite environment. With four of the six big bullets in the rules being "Don't be a jerk" "Have respect for others" "Have respect for the site and its content" and "Put some effort into the communication" its pretty clear what the priority of the mods are.

How is it not justified to moderate someone who'se being rude when they put out there first and foremost, "If you make our forums a less pleasant place to be, we don't want you here."
And yes, that's relative, but the mods are chosen specifically because the staff trusts their judgment.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Get Jiggy said:
I do it constantly expecting the 'evil' post to be something epic (not sure why). I'm almost always dissapointed.
Same here. I'm hoping to see some incredibly vehement and hate filled post, and it's usually pretty tame.

I don't think it's weird. Just natural human curiosity.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, I do it whenever I see a little "User was Banned/Suspended/Put on probation for _________ " tag at the bottom of a post. It can be fun, especially if you get taken to a thread with multiple wrathed users. It can lead to an interesting night of just clicking random wraths for about an hour or so, just to see what happened.

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
Depending on the topic I'll do it, then I'm usually confused why they were put on probation.