Do you swear much?

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I've been told that I swear like a sailor, and I probably do.

I usually do it just to emphasize things, or out of fun. Or especially when I'm mad. I do control myself when there are children nearby though. Don't want their parents having to deal with their little kids swearing. :\

Kuro Serpentina

Dec 10, 2012
I swear an insane amount, but it never bothers me, as I always use to to emphasis what I'm saying
To give an example, lets say someone asks me how big the world is and I'm not in the mood to rack my brain back to Science classes I had years ago to answer.
Naturally, I'd say something along the lines of Gigantic or whatever
That kinda doesn't do it just though, does it?
And thus my response: "Its fucking Massive"
A word commonly used to insult is now using to add emphasis to something
Thats generally how I use swearing most of the time
That and Swearing actually means to use a word out its original context to insult ("Go Sheep Yourself" is techniqually swearing), thus rendering the effort of making something up to say instead absolutely bloody pointless

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
I'm probably the opposite of most - I normally eschew the Scots stereotype, and go for a cleaner approach in my day to day life. Soon as I get to work, however, I'll happily turn the air blue.

Life in our lab is very, very laid back, and swearing at instruments/apparatus/general supplies when things go wrong is very much the norm for almost everyone.

Comes in handy sometimes - some of our instruments are only just held together by hope and strong language...

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I generally don't swear often. I try to censor myself as much as I can because I get sick of hearing others swear or treat swearing like a common and acceptable form of everyday expression.

I do tend to swear in moment of extreme emotional outbursts, when a good old fashioned FUCK is in order, when it is the only way to properly convey my feelings, or when the current predicament calls for it.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
This reminds me of a story my grandmother told me about the time she was a proffesor at the local university.

She cought one kid swearing on a break in her classroom, she kicked him out of the faculty. He actually was begging her to take him back.

So as you may guess by my familly, I was never allowed to swear as much. Exeptions include when I am talking about liturature or film, there, cencoring it just seems idiotic.

I did use to swear, but lately I'm trying to get it out of my system.

Lately I'm trying to think of new ways of being rude, since we have to admit, insulting someone with swear words gets clechee over time, but it depends on what type of people you are talking to. When a person swears a lot, it becomes normal for him, so some insults just blend in to the background noise.

I've been interested in insults lately, since there is a lot of origional ways to make people feel bad about themselves. Some times pointing out the things you really think about the person is enough to shut their fountain.

Related: http://www.english-area.com/paginas/rude.pdf

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Eliwood10 said:
Very, very, very rarely. I was raised to watch my language at all times, but it's roughed up a bit over the years.

My philosophy on swearing is: for a curse word to have the proper impact, make it a huge contrast to your normal tone. Swearing over and over loses it's punch very quickly.
Opposite way round for me. You know that I'm serious when I cut down on the swearing.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Yeah, I swear pretty casually, though not excessively or just to sound more grown-up or whatever.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I never swear around my parents, but around everyone else, I swear like an alsatian barks. I probably swear less than most of my friends, who throw "****" like confetti.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
No, because I live in a dorm and only have like 1 friend who I only see in person like bi-monthly, and I always go straight from class to my room, and I actually sometimes go consecutive days without talking to anyone at all, because... I don't really know why. I guess I just rarely feel the need to. Even online, I tend to be a bit on the pc side to avoid needless flaming and debates.

Captcha: stony-hearted

Captcha, are you trying to pick a fight with me you filthy little dicklicker? You don't even have feelings because YOU ARE A MACHINE! ...Er, excuse me, I lost my cool for a second.

Though that being said, I do occasionally enjoy coming up with exceedingly stupid profane remarks/names with the aforementioned friend. We still haven't beaten the legendary accolade of which he received from someone on his PS3 inbox from an angered COD player, Fuckboy. To be more precise, he called him a "FUCKING FUCKBOY!". He actually changed his skype name to Fuckboy after that for a while. We still haven't beaten that yet though, as we have recently been focused more on coming up with as random names as possible, such as Flashmob Dog pile, or Pedro's Banana Show. Good times..

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I made an effort to move away from swearing during university. I still lapse sometimes but for the most part I don't really drop any bombs anymore.

If I have to insult people I tend to get a little more creative. Before I might've called somebody a c*nt or something. Now I tend to call them background characters (the implication being they're unimportant) or smallworlders (the implication being they actively resist expanding their horizons in all ways).

I think it adds to the insult when they so-often don't understand it.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
I'm not really from a swearing culture.

I'm quite glad of that, because the way I see it swearing is an expression of extreme negativity, so if your swearing all the time, it's either justified by a terrible situation, or inaccurate, making descriptions of things which warrant swearing rather difficult.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
When do I curse? All the fucking time.

*snare drum*

But seriously, it stopped caring for the most part.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
The thing about "swearing" is that you get used to the level of which you user over time and not notice them. Especially if you're not usually in situations where doing so is risk behavior.

I "swear" occasionally, but I usually don't notice it. It isn't a commonality of my language any more than any other kind of expression, though.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
Oh fuck man, I fuckin' swear fuckin' constantly. Especially in English, which is not my native fucking tongue. In fucking Dutch I still mostly use the word fuck, but I tend to pronounce it more dutchily.

I have absolutely no qualms about 'strong language' whatsoever, it's just words for fuck's sake. This shit is bad only because certain people say it's bad, and hurts absolutely no one unless they let it.
Also intent is very important. I use my swears as placefillers or to comedic effect, not to intentionally hurt some cunts that can't take it.

If this post offended anyone then I'm very fuckin' sorry. :p

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
I don't really swear; I don't really have anything against those who (I watch Yahtzee after all) but it's not really the way I "think" if that makes sense.

Not to say I never swear, though only a few times when extremely stressed.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
I come from a country where the word for "mate" or "man" is the same as the word for "asshole". So yeah.

Anja Bech

Mar 20, 2013
It's funny how the army tends to leave your vocabulary riddled with swear words. :p I never used to cuss a whole lot until I joined the army and now I just can't seem to shake it. Don't mind it though. They're just fucking words, yeah?