Does Being Politically Incorrect Makes You A Bigot?

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
LifeCharacter said:
What are you trying to accomplish when you tell people to "stop being moral busybodies who try to control what everyone is saying and doing," by the way? Break it down and explain how you're not policing what other people should be saying or doing.
It's my way of telling people "Don't be a jerk." The big problem I have with people who think they can dictate to others on political correctness. It's that they believe they have the moral high ground to do whatever they want to enforce their beliefs. "No bad tactics. Just bad targets." So, they act intolerant to everyone they disagree with. It's no longer about tolerance and equality. It's about people dictating their political beliefs to other people, and punishing them if they disagree with them.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
KissingSunlight said:
LifeCharacter said:
Saelune said:
Thaluikhain said:
Hypocrisy
*Eyerolls* Times 3. Golly guys! Complaining that I am censoring you for pointing out what people are doing when they complain about political incorrectness. This is a kind of argument that a little kid would make, because they don't know how to argue with facts.

OK. I am going to play along for a minute. If the goal of being critical of someone being politically incorrect isn't censorship, then what are you trying to accomplish when you complain about someone you think is being bigoted?
My issue is why are we not allowed to do what they apparently are? I will stop sticking my nose in people's business perhaps when they stop sticking theirs in mine.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Saelune said:
KissingSunlight said:
LifeCharacter said:
Saelune said:
Thaluikhain said:
Hypocrisy
*Eyerolls* Times 3. Golly guys! Complaining that I am censoring you for pointing out what people are doing when they complain about political incorrectness. This is a kind of argument that a little kid would make, because they don't know how to argue with facts.

OK. I am going to play along for a minute. If the goal of being critical of someone being politically incorrect isn't censorship, then what are you trying to accomplish when you complain about someone you think is being bigoted?
My issue is why are we not allowed to do what they apparently are? I will stop sticking my nose in people's business perhaps when they stop sticking theirs in mine.
So 2 wrongs makes you right, huh?
Hey, I am not in charge of opinion police, do whatever you want.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Silentpony said:
Oh yeah, no. Not at all what I meant to say. There are total shitheels on both sides of the pro/anti PC divide, absolutely. And both sides could be considered bigoted. Its just the non-PC people who wash their hands of the whole business I consider to not be bigots.
Which is stupid. Most times being 'politically correct' is simply being pleasant, diplomatic, or open -minded enough to at least not pretend your opinion needs to be spewed out over those with primary evidence or that it's not at all productive to simply dislike peope over what ridiculous emotional, social, or cultural baggage you and your parents persist to make a thing in the world.

And no, that is not some new fangdangled definition of politically correct. That's how it's always been. That you treat people as people with inalienable rights to their self-construction and existence, and you remind yourself that prejudices that inadvertantly turn individuals of some ethnic, LGBTQ, or religious group into some amorphous statement of humanity ultimately has nothing to do with them ... it has everything to do with you.

... or as Becker puts it;

I suggest you watch it all. Because his statements easily pass for anybody pretends tha PC is some Nazi regime, or that being PC is somehow bigoted. Being PC is solely about reminding yourself not making generalizations on gender, or age, or racial expression. That's all it ever meant. It was about recognising that humans are fallible and unless we seek to modify our behaviour, be better people, then we get nowhere and that we default to genuinely unpleasant people to others .... entitled, lazy, and selfish.

Being 'PC' is like making sure you put your trash in the bin, or you don't play music with all your windows open, or you don't smoke on a friend's couch if they hate the smell of tobacco. Evolving rules of cordial coexistence. Nothing more. You certainly don't pretend you're somehow immune to being called an arsehole if you choose to make other people's lives worse for your personal belief how much couches are designed for smoking on.

So much so the term only gained traction when religious conservatives in the 90s pretending people calling them out as arseholes because of their espoused homophobia and transphobia, and other points of 1st grader reasoning with Biblical insanity, was somehow wrong. Which is why you had people in the 90s turn it on those religious conservative whackos who used it as such. Only witless morons have recycled the term yet again to use it as a complaint about people calling them arseholes, committing the same garbage rhetoric as the stuff you're pumping out right now as they did 30 years ago.

We've not merely come full circle, we've had to stop off at the mechanic for standard servicing and inspection to get our pink slip. Apparently we're so attached to it as a vehicle for 'discourse' that being an arsehole isn't necessarily a refutation of a First Amendment thing, but a social thing, that we're going to be taking this puppy for a spin again.

It's not about PC vs. Anti-PC ... it's about the entitled and the retarded complaining about people who don't share the belief others serve as a floormat for people's egos. And there are legitimate criticisms of this, but none of it I have ever heard from anybody who bandied about 'PC' unironically. It's the same shit I heard when I was growing up from bullies thinking religion is immutable, but my sense of self wasn't. Circular logic and childlike tautologies of thought, and anybody that thinks those that stand up to these reductive reasoning bullies are 'PC police' can kiss my ass, too.

The best way to describe 'being PC'? It's about making sure life doesn't turn into a Youtube comments section. Where discourse and discussion is merely transformed into hateful diatribes and ponderous illiteracy of thought and noise.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
Saelune said:
KissingSunlight said:
LifeCharacter said:
Saelune said:
Thaluikhain said:
Hypocrisy

So 2 wrongs makes you right, huh?
Hey, I am not in charge of opinion police, do whatever you want.
Playground sayings like to ignore context. Though I think only one of them is a wrong. I think defending myself isnt as bad as attacking people.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Saelune said:
Playground sayings like to ignore context. Though I think only one of them is a wrong. I think defending myself isnt as bad as attacking people.
Well, defending yourself can go very far, don't you think?
I mean maybe I am remembering it wrong, but didn't you say doing something to some supporters for the country? If that is the case of "defending", I'd like to disagree.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
To be politically correct is to to be insincere; it is purely the *appearance* of a position for political gain, not genuine empathy or conviction. Typically a politician will say what is helpful to their ratings, which have little to do with their actual beliefs or intentions. Therefore anti-pc is anti-insincerity, anti-spin, anti-bullshit.

But another definition, which seems to be the 'political correctness' as it is railed against in this era, seems purely against the practice of basic courtesy to those who are very different from us and whose lives we may not understand, and to which a reasonable position is to withhold judgement on those who lives are alien to our own until we can say we are truly informed on their circumstances.
That's just thoughtless arseholes wanting to be thoughtless arseholes and resenting the fact that being a thoughtless arsehole is frowned on in any society striving to be ethical, and so they invent some grand struggle of self-expression in an authoritarian world to make them feel like the heroes they really aren't. Fuck those guys.

All arguments should be considered on their merits and definitions depending on the individual and not reflexively dismissed. Perhaps some genuine concerns get pushed aside and that causes resentment so they blame 'political correctness' for that. Many concerns are due to simple misunderstanding, some may have enduring points and should be part of any informed debate.

So really, it depends on what is being said under the guise of being 'politically incorrect'.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Nope. You can be politically incorrect and not be a bigot. I mean I can say ****** all day, but harbor no ill will towards black people. That's actually possible, despite what some may think.

On the other hand, you can be politically correct and be a bigot.
"All African Americans are inferior to white people."
Textbook bigotry, but painted up in politically correct language.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Saltyk said:
Nope. You can be politically incorrect and not be a bigot. I mean I can say ****** all day, but harbor no ill will towards black people. That's actually possible, despite what some may think.

Well, that kind of raises the question of why you have this overwhelming need to say ****** all day.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
McMarbles said:
Saltyk said:

Well, that kind of raises the question of why you have this overwhelming need to say ****** all day.
Don't know. I hardly ever say it unless I'm quoting something. I don't know anyone that really uses the word, of any race. It was merely an example. A person can say ****** and not be racist. One easy example, is using the term in discussing the word. Like we have just now.

Sep 28, 2016
No. It makes you really edgy and cool cos ain't no muthafucka gonna hold you down and the ladies really like that and so do the guys too but in a weirder way. FREEDOM! MY. DAMN. FREEDOM! If somebody says its in bad tastes to soil myself publicly, I say fuck you fascist scum! You don't own me!! Then proceed to evacuate the controversial plumbing. That's me...the majestic myopic manatee! Isn't it marvellous to be free? Ain't malignant by my own decree. But freedoms are a muscle that need to be exercised to excuse unempathetic glee! I'm an adult and you can't take that back off me!!

Nov 19, 2016
No in fact a lot of bigots have learned to couch their bigotry in politically correct language. We need to stop looking at the specific words people use and start looking at the message they're spreading. This idea that bigots need to stand up and shout "death to faggots" before they can be definitively concluded to be a bigot is the reason so many people refuse to accept that Mike Pence is a homophobic POS who will do everything in his power to hurt the LGBT community.

To paraphrase poorly an example of Patton Oswalt's if you've got one guy saying "Well I believe marriage is about creating a traditional family unit so the government should step in to prevent homosexuals damaging such an important institution. I also feel it's best that same sex couples be prevented from expressing their love publicly in case it encourages children to turn to deviant lifestyles." And another going "Who gives a shit if two faggots want to suck each others dicks or cum in each others asses. It doesn't affect me if two queers or two dykes want to get married or if a tranny wants to use a particular bathroom." The first guy is a bigot, the second is at worst a little ignorant but still on your side, even if he's being politically incorrect. Unfortunately we live in a world where firing Jeremy Clarkson for straight up punching a producer in the face and calling him a lazy Irish wanker is PC gone mad.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
TheMajesticSpaceDuck said:
Unfortunately we live in a world where firing Jeremy Clarkson for straight up punching a producer in the face and calling him a lazy Irish wanker is PC gone mad.
I dunno, punching people at work is usually a fireable offense.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
RaikuFA said:
I think that's precisely TheMajesticSpaceDuck's point. Clarkson was fired for a perfectly fire-able offence, but the tabloids (and legions of fans) decried the decision as PC nonetheless.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Silvanus said:
RaikuFA said:
I think that's precisely TheMajesticSpaceDuck's point. Clarkson was fired for a perfectly fire-able offence, but the tabloids (and legions of fans) decried the decision as PC nonetheless.
Ugh. That just water downs the actual complaints against PC culture.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
No, holding bigoted views makes you a bigot.

That being said, being PC is not a bad thing, it's about weighing your words so that they don't cause offence, it's being respectful.

Nov 19, 2016
RaikuFA said:
Silvanus said:
RaikuFA said:
Ugh. That just water downs the actual complaints against PC culture.
I disagree. Both sides of every argument have idiots that take things too far. We need to stop acting like the idiots who just want to argue are part of the discussion. The people who only care about partisanship, fighting and scoring points for their team can get fucked and the sooner both sides acknowledge they have that issue in similar numbers and say "Fuck those guys." the better. Hell people even used "political correctness gone mad" to defend Brock Turner. That doesn't devalue the argument that the public shaming aspect of PC culture can get out of hand. Like that woman who tweeted that she hopes she doesn't get AIDs before boarding a flight to Africa only to turn on her phone when she landed and discover the world hated her and she'd lost her job. She was a nobody, she didn't even have many followers. But apparently her life needs to be ruined because she said one (very) stupid thing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Hell people even used "political correctness gone mad" to defend Brock Turner.
There's no amount of facepalm gifs that can describe how much you fail if you think like that.

There's a lot of examples of PC culture gone mad. Bahar Mustafa, that Hugh Mungus lady and a fuck ton more. I try and not let it bother me. Let them kill themselves over the stress from trying to PC small things. They still shouldn't have the right to get people fired for making a joke they don't like.

Nov 19, 2016
RaikuFA said:
Hell people even used "political correctness gone mad" to defend Brock Turner.
There's no amount of facepalm gifs that can describe how much you fail if you think like that.

There's a lot of examples of PC culture gone mad. Bahar Mustafa, that Hugh Mungus lady and a fuck ton more. I try and not let it bother me. Let them kill themselves over the stress from trying to PC small things. They still shouldn't have the right to get people fired for making a joke they don't like.
Agreed. There's a lot of examples of both sides being goddamned idiotic though. But like I was saying I don't think those idiots devalue the actual arguments, what does that is both sides legitimising the idiots by either acting like they're the only ones that exist on the other side of the fence or that the idiots on their own side don't exist. These days discussion is treated more like a sport and admitting your team did something wrong is like conceding a goal because everyone knows the winner of a conversation is the one who scored the most points.