Does New Korean Game Rip Off Team Fortress 2?

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
WraithGadra said:
Capo Taco said:
WraithGadra said:
I suppose it's easier to call opponents "stealth marketers" rather than address their challenges to internet conventional "wisdom", but I find it far less interesting to read. Everyone should check out the site's section of the game in English here [http://www.sk-imedia.com/] before going further.

On another note, a lot of people here are being too eager to shout rip-off at the game as a whole rather than sticking to the trailer. Of course, given that practically anything one could care to name is a combination or variation of existing concepts, I find most claims of copying to be pointless wankery. Even Team Fortress is just combining the class-based gameplay of tabletop RPGs with the fast action pacing of a FPS.
I guess it's easier to just plug the website instead of trying to engage in an argument you know you're wrong at.

Either you've never seen any team fortress 2 or you're somehow affiliated with HAVE.

It's not just that it's a rocket, the rocket moves as slow as it does in TF2, which doesn't happen in any other game.
It's not just a black one eyed demoman, it's a one eyed black demoman with exactly the same grenades.
It's not that one soldier has the same helmet or one weapon that's the same, they copied and showcased 7 weapons that are exactly in team fortress 2. They didn't showcase any weapon that's not in team fortress 2. Battlefield, unreal tournament, COD, all these games although having some similar weapons have their own configuration of weapons.

Sound effects may be stock, but even inside stock effects there's a grand amount of options. Oh wow. They picked the same ones.

Usually stock effects are edited too, to fit with a game. Oh look, here they weren't.

The website did give me a laugh though. "Beyond your imagination". I must agree that it was beyond my imagination to create a TF2 copy, wreck the gameplay, create some new models and call it a unique product.

Hey if you believe that, I've got to tell you something. Vanilla ice never ripped off queen, it was a lucky similar inspiration.
You're still making judgments about the entire game from a single trailer. H.A.V.E. is a third-person shooter and isn't class based with standard FPS weapons. If that qualifies it as a TF rip-off, than TF is a Doom rip-off. Claiming otherwise is special pleading.
Yes. A trailer is a showcase. Their showcase makes clear that it isn't class based, but their showcase also makes clear that they have no qualms making a near carbon copy. Yes I don't know if the entire game is a ripoff, but their trailer is. When you make a trailer you showcase that what is unique, the USP's. Well they mainly showcased how much their game is like TF 2.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Nazrel, you were looking at the wrong trailer (the one you gave before).

Here's one that doesn't have the bad sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvaQbntJ4Yw

It just seems to me that those that don't see the heavy similarities are not familiar with team fortress 2 or video game history in general to know that it's actually quite rare for games to show that many similarities. Although I remember that the great giana's sisters resembled mario quite a bit. I wonder what ever happened to that game.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Capo Taco said:
If this game is successful, then apparently there's a niche for people who wanted female characters in TF2.
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

But I imagine it's more marketed towards the Asian crowd. I don't think we will see this on the shelves over here next to the Orange box. It's like when you go to a bazaar in Egypt and see "Action Joe" and it's a toy that kinda looks like Capt. Hawk except he's got a mustache and slightly darker skin. It's all about making something for the consumers in that region.

Still the similarities are pretty funny.

Mister Blicq

Jun 24, 2009
Not the biggest rippoff ever... i think theres a battlefield(haven't actualy played it) game thats ripps off tf2 much worse.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
...>.> <.<
I'm sorry, but fighting with girls in miniskirts and S&M drag might actually have a chance >.>

Still, Valve's polish will win out, as Korean games aren't exactly known for being of the highest grade... Just look at the half-million MMOs they put out every year and... yeah, I'll stop before the TF2 fans devour me ^-^" *still has hope for NCSoft's Aion o: *

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Jharry5 said:
I'm sure the term they'd prefer is 'paying homage to'...

I have to admit though, the similarities are striking; the grenade designs look identical, and the character using them had an eyepatch. Hmmm...
That said, it does look like a decent game.
I'm sure they would, but if that were the case, they could at least have the dignity to acknowledge the similarities and admit to it, neither of which they have done.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a cheap and blatant knockoff of TF2 that differs so little, a group of modders could easily replace the original TF2 class models with custom anime ones, and it would be totally identical to this unholy doppelganger.
And most people would still choose to play TF2.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Ya thats a pretty blatant rip off, but who knows maybe it'll be good. Probably not though, and they'll get sued over and over again

forever saturday

Nov 6, 2008
Broken Wings said:
OK up until the sniper I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt, even with the baseball bat. But as soon as their "heavy" came out with what I can only call a Medi-Shield I had to call bullshit on the whole thing. And it only got worse with the Demoman and Soldier clones. And lets not even mention how much the game looks like it plays like TF2.
My opinion is similar to the above. Even though I have never played Team Fortress two (I have Orange Box but my Xbox Live isn't set up yet because I am lazy), I still had extreme doubt until their version of the heavy. Their guns are exactly the same and they even hold them the same way. I mean C'mon, Korean company whose name I can't remember or be arsed to check. Then the sniper... oh my god, they might as well have the toy sniper spouting australianisms. And that grenade thing... the rocket launcher guy... this is a blatant ripoff.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
wow. That was the exact same chaingun. EXACT. That was almost the same baseball bat - they forgot the add the dent.

I have no strong feelings any way or the other, but yeah, that's ripping it off.

Can't deny that, I mean, what other game has the same (basic) graphic style AND a rotary grenade launcher?

NONE. (that I know of(and I'm pretty sure I'd know(maybe)))

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Could it be different, a game in its own right, and not a rip off? Sure, they still have room for being legitimate...but it is NOT very likely. Way too many similarities. At the very least they were heavily inspired, and wanted to put there spin on the game. At worst, they are trying to remake the game and sell it as there own.

H.A.V.E should come clean, admit there inspiration, pay Valve royalties, and sell it on Steam. I mean think about, would you buy a rip off of TF2? Probably not. But would you buy a game that Steam advertises as a Re-Imagining of the TF2 experience? I know I would.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
It might be a rip-off but it might have a chance at being a decent ga.......
*Requires money to purchase in-game items*
-_- nevermind

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
LtFerret said:
It might be a rip-off but it might have a chance at being a decent ga.......
*Requires money to purchase in-game items*
-_- nevermind
that is quiet normal of Korean games.

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
Personally I think its too early to judge. Sure, there are similarites, but if you look at the early TF2 videos there were plenty of changes implemented. Wait until there's gameplay at least, although I can't deny that they look strikingly similar, its the soundtrack that does it for me.

Indigo_Dingo said:
If nothing else, this thread proves to me that I'm one of the few rational people on this site. Not that I needed much more confirmation of that.
Or at least one of the few prepared to challenge the majority through accusations of fanboyism.

*cough*PS3*cough*

;)

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
It looks like it. Graphical and art style, similar music, got pretty much the same weapons, extremely annoying sniper class, probably going to be an FPS centered around a CTF gametype. Granted we haven't seen any gameplay yet but really, how else could they do it? You've gotta remember that stealing SOME ideas is still stealing. It doesnt matter if it's not a complete ripoff because the parts they didnt steal are stupid concepts anyways.

SAccharing10

Jul 3, 2008
Frankly every FPS is ripping off Wolfenstein 3D in that case, but I mean they've obviously not heard about team fortress 2 which is probably why they're so embarrased about how alike they are.