Does New Korean Game Rip Off Team Fortress 2?

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Nazrel said:
Capo Taco said:
The gameplay may not be a complete ripoff, but the marketing, the trailer and the music are clearly so. Why did they have to pull the blind men and elephant metaphor out of their arse?

Couldn't they have commented: "Yes we love team fortress 2. We wanted to borrow a few of their concepts and take it in a completely different direction." or "We were curious what our game would look like if we made a TF2 style trailer."

Instead they're treating all of us like idiots and trying to get people to believe that somehow they had exactly the same idea on so many counts.
The trailers aren't the same; nor is the music. Here is a direct comparison.

http://www.teamfortress.com/trailer.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx23D90sUxk

They both rely heavily on trumpets, big whoop.

The blind man thing wasn't out of their ass, it was spoken from a different cultural stand point; most people would know it if they were from Korea.
I know the metaphor, it's just that it's very inappropriately used here.

A game trailer is a marketing vehicle. It's a direct showcase of the game which in very little time shows you the highlights of a game. It gives you a feel for the atmosphere and if it's a good trailer it also gives you an idea of the gameplay. If you make a trailer, you don't just show the trunk or just the tusks, you show as much of the elephant as you can.

They can't be serious in defending H.A.V.E. Online from not borrowing heavily from team fortress 2. The game may be completely different, but this is what they showed us. And this borrows not one element, not two elements, but so many that it's hard to compare.

All their cinematic shots (about 20) except one are taken from the "meet the" videos (they added the soldier tripping over a grenade). Their character designs have women but still show many similarities (a black one eyed demoman).

The music is similar, the projectiles are identical, the particle effects are identical, the sounds effects are similar.

But most importantly, their trailer copied the same atmosphere from Team Fortress 2. Maybe their game isn't a complete ripoff from team fortress 2, but their trailer certainly is.
If they wouldn't lie about it you could say that it was inspired by team fortress 2 or if they had said that they liked team fortress 2, but thought the concept could be done better.

Instead they're saying people are idiots for thinking they are alike.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
I think the most worrysome thing about H.A.V.E. ONLINE is that most things that they didn't copy in their trailer, really sucks. The pacing is done badly. The real gameplay footage at the end completely destroys the cinematic build-up. The character expressions are done badly (although the sniper's chin is actually done very well!). They added women, which is a cool thing and they stylized the characters further by having them wear skirts and panties, which I don't like, but is a matter of taste.

And the most tragic thing is that they would have a had cool concept... fighting army men that come to life as a FPS. Only, the style would have made much more sense without all the explosive action that they copied from team fortress 2. Instead, keeping with the atmosphere they had set up, it would have worked better to slowly get the player into this world by zipping around and missing the action once or twice. Then it would complement what the guy with the bad voice acting says at the beginning.

Now where do I get a nice facepalm picture to end this with?

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Capo Taco said:
Nazrel said:
Capo Taco said:
The gameplay may not be a complete ripoff, but the marketing, the trailer and the music are clearly so. Why did they have to pull the blind men and elephant metaphor out of their arse?

Couldn't they have commented: "Yes we love team fortress 2. We wanted to borrow a few of their concepts and take it in a completely different direction." or "We were curious what our game would look like if we made a TF2 style trailer."

Instead they're treating all of us like idiots and trying to get people to believe that somehow they had exactly the same idea on so many counts.

The blind man thing wasn't out of their ass, it was spoken from a different cultural stand point; most people would know it if they were from Korea.

A game trailer is a marketing vehicle. It's a direct showcase of the game which in very little time shows you the highlights of a game. It gives you a feel for the atmosphere and if it's a good trailer it also gives you an idea of the gameplay. If you make a trailer, you don't just show the trunk or just the tusks, you show as much of the elephant as you can.

They can't be serious in defending H.A.V.E. Online from not borrowing heavily from team fortress 2. The game may be completely different, but this is what they showed us. And this borrows not one element, not two elements, but so many that it's hard to compare.

All their cinematic shots (about 20) except one are taken from the "meet the" videos (they added the soldier tripping over a grenade). Their character designs have women but still show many similarities (a black one eyed demoman).

The music is similar, the projectiles are identical, the particle effects are identical, the sounds effects are similar.

But most importantly, their trailer copied the same atmosphere from Team Fortress 2. Maybe their game isn't a complete ripoff from team fortress 2, but their trailer certainly is.
If they wouldn't lie about it you could say that it was inspired by team fortress 2 or if they had said that they liked team fortress 2, but thought the concept could be done better.

The music is not that similar, they use one or 2 of the same instruments, but the style and arrangement is competently different.

The similarities in the cinematics seems to be a person with weapon is using said weapon, or they are advancing forward military like fashion.
These are all pretty generic situations.

Character wise, a soldier toy has a generic WW2 helmet. The soldier from TF2 also has a generic WW2 helmet. Oh for shame!

You have a disfigured looking toy lurking in the shadows that threw a grenade, honesty he struck me as more a solid snake then then a Demoman.

Sound effects are stock and used for all games.

Projectiles and particle effects?
So the rockets look like rockets, and the explosions look like explosions?
Those bastards.

Now I've done what probability none of the rest of you have done and when to the web site and checked, the English section for the game.

It's third person and, it's not class based. You build an avatar, then you choose a weapon, you use said weapon.

This doesn't even count as inspired by!

To address other points other brought up. Double jump is not unique, there are tons of games with it; so is rocket jump, which is non applicable, because he jumping from a trampoline.

Another thing, how is picking up a shield power up, another generic concept found in many games, anything like have a medic behind you auto healing?

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Oh yeah it looks extraordinarily like TF2

Everything is the same! Even the grenades! Except, Anime-ised.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Nazrel said:
Capo Taco said:
Nazrel said:
Capo Taco said:

The music is not that similar, they use one or 2 of the same instruments, but the style and arrangement is competently different.

The similarities in the cinematics seems to be a person with weapon is using said weapon, or they are advancing forward military like fashion.

Character wise, a soldier toy has a generic WW2 helmet. The soldier from TF2 also has a generic WW2 helmet. Oh for shame!

You have a disfigured looking toy lurking in the shadows that threw a grenade, honesty he struck me as more a solid snake then then a Demoman.

Those bastards.

Now I've done what probability none of the rest of you have done and when to the web site and checked, the English section for the game.

It's third person and, it's not class based. You build an avatar, then you choose a weapon, you use said weapon.

To address other points other brought up. Double jump is not unique, there are tons of games with it; so is rocket jump, which is non applicable, because he jumping from a trampoline.

Another thing, how is picking up a shield power up, another generic concept found in many games, anything like have a medic behind you auto healing?
Lol, how much are they paying you? I want to get paid for stealth marketing too. Where do I apply?

Ginnipe

May 25, 2009
it just looks like a shitty rip off of team fortress 2, it's exacly the same except the awsome charactors are switched with anime whores in stalkings.

WraithGadra

Dec 3, 2007
Capo Taco said:
Nazrel said:
Capo Taco said:
Nazrel said:
Capo Taco said:

Those bastards.

Lol, how much are they paying you? I want to get paid for stealth marketing too. Where do I apply?
I suppose it's easier to call opponents "stealth marketers" rather than address their challenges to internet conventional "wisdom", but I find it far less interesting to read. Everyone should check out the site's section of the game in English here [http://www.sk-imedia.com/] before going further.

On another note, a lot of people here are being too eager to shout rip-off at the game as a whole rather than sticking to the trailer. Of course, given that practically anything one could care to name is a combination or variation of existing concepts, I find most claims of copying to be pointless wankery. Even Team Fortress is just combining the class-based gameplay of tabletop RPGs with the fast action pacing of a FPS.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
WraithGadra said:
I suppose it's easier to call opponents "stealth marketers" rather than address their challenges to internet conventional "wisdom", but I find it far less interesting to read. Everyone should check out the site's section of the game in English here [http://www.sk-imedia.com/] before going further.

On another note, a lot of people here are being too eager to shout rip-off at the game as a whole rather than sticking to the trailer. Of course, given that practically anything one could care to name is a combination or variation of existing concepts, I find most claims of copying to be pointless wankery. Even Team Fortress is just combining the class-based gameplay of tabletop RPGs with the fast action pacing of a FPS.
I guess it's easier to just plug the website instead of trying to engage in an argument you know you're wrong at.

Either you've never seen any team fortress 2 or you're somehow affiliated with HAVE.

It's not just that it's a rocket, the rocket moves as slow as it does in TF2, which doesn't happen in any other game.
It's not just a black one eyed demoman, it's a one eyed black demoman with exactly the same grenades.
It's not that one soldier has the same helmet or one weapon that's the same, they copied and showcased 7 weapons that are exactly in team fortress 2. They didn't showcase any weapon that's not in team fortress 2. Battlefield, unreal tournament, COD, all these games although having some similar weapons have their own configuration of weapons.

Sound effects may be stock, but even inside stock effects there's a grand amount of options. Oh wow. They picked the same ones.

Usually stock effects are edited too, to fit with a game. Oh look, here they weren't.

The website did give me a laugh though. "Beyond your imagination". I must agree that it was beyond my imagination to create a TF2 copy, wreck the gameplay, create some new models and call it a unique product.

Hey if you believe that, I've got to tell you something. Vanilla ice never ripped off queen, it was a lucky similar inspiration.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Of course its a rip off. Just looking at it makes you know that.

Besides it's Korean material, nuff said.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
I haven't played TF2 just yet, but if what I read about is true (random weapon rewards for the classes), then it's already shaping up to be like a Korean Grindfest (you keep doing the same thing until the Random Number Generator Man becomes generous to you and gives you what you need), only made by Valve. Though you gotta admit, things look too similar for it to only be "inspired".

Fat_Hippo said:
Yep, this looks like a more asian (and lame) version of TF2. No real point to it, unless you're an anime fanboy. Can't see Valve pulling a dick move like actually sueing them though, so meh, it's all good.
I take offense to that. Are you implying that Asians are lame?

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Playbahnosh said:
Reinis said:
Demigod does not rip off DotA. It's a very different game. You either aren't very familiar with both, or are just trolling.
Quite the contrary, I played a lot of DotA, and still playing with friends every once in a while, and I wrote a review of Demigod soon to be published, so yes, I know my way around both games. Demigod is a beautiful but retarded version of DotA. The gameplay is the same, save for the flag capturing, and Demigod has fewer of everything (DotA has 100 heroes, Demigod has 8, and that 8 heroes are too rip-offs of DotA heroes), but it's essentially a clone.

As for inFamous and Prototype, how could one rip off the other if they both came out at about the same time?
Interesting, isn't it? But the facts speak for themselves, the two games are too much alike to be simple coincidence. Ask Yahtzee and the hordes of gamers thinking the same...
Nope, DemiGod is a spin on the "RTS Deathmatch" gameplay popularized by DotA. It gets compared to it very often because it is inspired by it, and no other game is as popular in that category.

As for that inFamous/Prototyoe comment:
Playbahnosh said:
Compatriot Block said:
And because of the suspicions, Prototype is automatically the one who stole the ideas? Think about it without bias next time please.

I never said that. I only pointed out how utterly similar the two game is. Maybe they ripped each other off. Who knows...
Next time, stick to your guns and follow through with your argument.
Playbahnosh said:
I see it's not just me noticing the countless blatant rip-offs released these days.

The WW2 games are not even worth mentioning, but...

inFamous - Prototype

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Syntax Error said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Yep, this looks like a more asian (and lame) version of TF2. No real point to it, unless you're an anime fanboy. Can't see Valve pulling a dick move like actually sueing them though, so meh, it's all good.
I take offense to that. Are you implying that Asians are lame?
I'm not implying shit. Notice how I put the "and lame" in brackets and the absolute lack of a "therefore." And if I would be implying anything, then that would be that asian games and anime are lame. Which I'm not.

Well okay, I did diss anime, but that's a matter of personal taste.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
My question is why do we care if it is or isn't? Geez take any game out there and change the name and the character designs (and story of course) and you can find a similar game. And why have so many TF2 fans written this off? I like TF2 but it wasn't perfect. There is tons of room for improvement. More maps more modes and make it a full retail game. Dedicate all the space to the one game instead of spread out over 5. I don't care if they blatantly rip off TF2 for all it is worth if they take it and expand on it. This game looks fun plain and simple. Shouldn't that be the only thing that matters?

WraithGadra

Dec 3, 2007
Capo Taco said:
WraithGadra said:

I guess it's easier to just plug the website instead of trying to engage in an argument you know you're wrong at.

Either you've never seen any team fortress 2 or you're somehow affiliated with HAVE.

It's not just that it's a rocket, the rocket moves as slow as it does in TF2, which doesn't happen in any other game.
It's not just a black one eyed demoman, it's a one eyed black demoman with exactly the same grenades.
It's not that one soldier has the same helmet or one weapon that's the same, they copied and showcased 7 weapons that are exactly in team fortress 2. They didn't showcase any weapon that's not in team fortress 2. Battlefield, unreal tournament, COD, all these games although having some similar weapons have their own configuration of weapons.

Sound effects may be stock, but even inside stock effects there's a grand amount of options. Oh wow. They picked the same ones.

Usually stock effects are edited too, to fit with a game. Oh look, here they weren't.

The website did give me a laugh though. "Beyond your imagination". I must agree that it was beyond my imagination to create a TF2 copy, wreck the gameplay, create some new models and call it a unique product.

Hey if you believe that, I've got to tell you something. Vanilla ice never ripped off queen, it was a lucky similar inspiration.
You're still making judgments about the entire game from a single trailer. H.A.V.E. is a third-person shooter and isn't class based with standard FPS weapons. If that qualifies it as a TF rip-off, than TF is a Doom rip-off. Claiming otherwise is special pleading.

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
So its a class based shooter presented in a cartoony style. So? Team Fortress is great, but that doesn't mean that Valve own the offbeat class based shooter. If things worked like that people'd be shouting at any shooting game on the Xbox for 'using guns, which Halo did first you posers'.

And who cares? If its good, great! There's only one thing better than one Team Fortress, and that's two :D

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Capo Taco said:
WraithGadra said:

Ok, I'm not sure what you're talking about with a lot off this stuff.

The weapons; what do you mean configuration? Do you mean they look the same?
They look nothing like their TF2 counter parts, as for actually having them; TF2 covered their bases pretty well; unless you were going for weird made up Scifi/Fantasy weapons, you would be hard pressed to find one that wasn't in that game.

I guess they could have put a chainsaw, but I can't think of anything else that would have been trailer worthy.

What are you talking about with the rockets?
I admit I don't play that many shooters, but the ones I have all rockets move slowly compared to the other weapons.

The sound effects? Yes they sucked, and the music only lasted half way through the trailer then you were left in silence for the rest of it. However that is just a sign that it was a poorly done trailer, a statement I will not contest in the slightest, not that it was a rip off TF2.

The closest thing you have to an argument is the grenade, and even that was a fairly generic design, it was a glowy thing with some stripes on it.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Everything's a rip-off these days. We even have excuses like "All the best ideas are stolen" and "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

If anything, it's more of a rip-off of the film Small Soldiers.
It looks more like the bastard child of an unholy union of Small soldiers and TF2.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
So many of you guys are getting your panties in a twist over a trailer. I read the entire thread and I'm honestly shocked at how so many of you are just using your knee-jerk reactions to this.

Let me reiterate; IT'S A FUCKING TRAILER!

Do I see similarities? Of course I do, some of those angles looked like they were taken out of some "Meet the..." videos, but so many of you are jumping the gun so early that you hit your head on the wall past the gun and smashed through the window off the 10 floor in the 10-story Hotel the gun was located on.

Surprise surprise, I agree mostly with Indigo here. This is what I hate about knee-jerk reactions, people never think them through. We know next to nothing about this game except for the trailer and yet people are calling this a rip-off because it looks the same and they used the same stock sounds as TF2 and for some reason you aren't alowed to rocket/double-jump in any game except TF2 anymore.

Reserve your damn opinions of this "rip-off" game until we know more, until then shut the hell up and move on.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
A bigger question is, is the female scout a rip off of the character Haruhi from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimyia? (I really don't know if I spelled that right.)

I say let it be made, just so I can run around as Haruhi and smash peoples brains in with a baseball bat.