Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
The only term I hate more than "gamer" is "foodie". I roll my eyes a little whenever I hear someone refer to themselves (or me) as a gamer, like it's something to be proud about. (It's nothing you should be ashamed of either, it's just a damned hobby.) But I absolutely, truly, cannot stand ANYONE who refers to themselves as a "foodie". I have corrected people who call me a foodie just because I love to cook. I don't know why. I think, sort of like the association Yahtzee has with the word gamer, I hear foodie and I think smug, insufferable obnoxious twerps who look like Ina Garten and pronounce ethnic dishes with the corresponding accent and can't stop talking about foie gras.

You enjoy food of different types. HOORAY FOR YOU. Just like most of the population.

You enjoy electronic entertainment. HOORAY FOR YOU. Just like most of the population.

I guess I just don't understand why you would want to identify yourself as a hobby you enjoy, rather than what sort of person you are.

ThatFanBoyGuy

Dec 23, 2009
I think the term "gamer" arose when the title for someone who played a lot of videogames was simply "nerd." There needed to be a clearer distinction because not everyone who plays video games a lot is a nerd, nor are nerds restraint to just people who play a lot of video games. A nerd may play video games seldomly, rarely, or not at all. So we invented this phrase "gamer" and we let it fly.

But now the question remains: what really makes a person "gamer"? Is the Nintendo Fanboy, who mostly only plays the Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong and Starfox franchises a gamer? Is the FPS fanboy, who mostly only plays Halo and Call of Duty on multiplayer when his friends are around, is he a gamer? Is the Guitar Hero/RockBand fanboy who mostly only plays these music games, but can play all instruments on expert, is he a gamer? Is the guy who obsessively levels up his Pokemon and World of Warcraft character a gamer? Do you need multiple consoles to be a gamer, or is one enough to be considered a gamer (and does it have to be a specific console)? Can one favor a genre or does one have to play all genres to be a gamer? Is the person who plays a lot of solitare, hearts, pinball and minsweeper on their PC a gamer? We can go on and on arguing this, or we could say "yes" to all of this, but someone would be offended.

And then we end up full circle. Maybe someone who plays casually is a gamer, but someone who plays obsessively is a nerd. Maybe someone who plays some video games is a gamer, someone who plays a lot a nerd, and someone who plays a little but acts like he plays a lot is a n00b. And we can go on and on again, only to end up full circle again.

So I think we should reserve the word "gamer" to anyone who plays videogames. And for those who play a lot of video games and are good at it, we should give the title Yahtzee invented for them in his Super Smash Brothers Brawl review: "That Guy" :)

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
Sir John the Net Knight said:
If you didn't even like the game, why even bother arguing about it? Go play Fantasy World Dizzy with Mr. Trilby.
OOO OOO question!?!?!

If you don't like zp why are you following it?

Not gonna touch the whole ff7 debate thats going on here. Especially as its at best second. If we're only counting the numbered ones.

I also think it is sad that we as gamers can't put aside our own anger and resentment for the greater good. Reminds me of that thread a few days ago asking people to stop spelling it micro$oft.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Time to equip the flame shield and grab the sword, because i need to fight back against this article for great justice.

Here's the problem i have with accepting any sort of credibility from this article or from the man himself. Yahtzee is not a gamer. He's a 'person who plays games casually but not casual games'. He's one of those people that would come home after work and turn on the xbox for perhaps thirty minutes of call of duty or some other game before saying 'this is stupid' and going off to do something else. Read a book, have sex, get drunk, whatever. The point is that games are just sort of 'there' but there're not an integral part of his life. And he'll only play one specific type of game and denounce everything else as trash. He might play Burnout for example and call it awesome but dismiss a JRPG or Wii game on the sole fact that that's the particular genre or medium. To me, a gamer will play nearly any type of game and enjoy it rather than immediately dismiss it at face value. I may not be big on crime drama and gangster stories, but i'd still like to play Mafia 2 for example. People who 'play games casually but are not casual gamers' are not the same thing as gamers. With the aforementioned, gamers tend to also try to see the game through to the end and enjoy the story on a deeper level than just giving up an hour in or halfway through because of an arbitrary or difficult section. I've seen a rise in people like this who are 'meh' or 'feh' when it comes to the gaming culture yet are fortunate enough to get a job in journalism or a gamestore where an 'avid gamer' could never get such a chance despite probably knowing what's coming out the following month before the store even does. Hmm...

And frankly, we do need that pride. We do need that private community. You see, gaming is still frowned upon by most of mainstream society. You can't just announce you play games and say it's a major part of your life. It's a fast way to become an outcast and stay a virgin. Most people give you the confused, slightly irritated look when you start to waffle on about games and you have to talk about normal things like sport and news even though you probably give even less of a shit about them than they do about your raid against Onyxia last night. So we club together as 'gamers' where we can talk about that free of those oppressive eyes and hostile thoughts. Who are you to tell us to disband?

When i'm with friends, they quickly lose interest if i say anything longer than "My character in warcraft-" that's game-related. But in communities like this you -can- discuss that as you please. Get it? And aside from friends and girlfriends being disapproving of the hobby, the media itself doesn't look too kindly on games - just look at the mess revolving around Medal of Honor and all the other controversial games. You might say "so shrug off the label and the connotations will vanish", but all you're really doing is giving in to the idea that you have to make out like it isn't such a big part of your life for the very reason that you know you will be judged for it.

And while i'm on the offensive, i'd like to mention something on the subject of girl gamers. There's a reason that connotation also exists. While we as gamers (sorry, "video game enthusiasts". Happy?) get some flak from society for doing what we do and enjoying it, girls get it worst of all. Chances are that they're not only alienated by their own friends and other women for playing games in the first place, but they're being a part of a predominantly male past-time. Many games are marketed to the male demographic, and it shows. And the games that aren't tend to be pathetically patronising. (Imagine! Designer for the DS. Because it would be an impossible for women to get a real career rather than fantasise on the console, right?) And the community can still hold the male-centric dogma in an aggressive manner. Oh sure, this site might be oh-so-liberal but i doubt the legions of Xbox Live goers would be quite the same way towards a girl playing with them. So the term 'girl gamers' is invented as a means of identification and unity, just as we, as regular gamers, do.

I'm happy with people dropping the label 'gamer'. But you are a different breed. There are gamers, and there are 'people who play games casually but not casual games'. I'd like to see a label for that.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
veloper said:
His worst article yet.

There ARE movie buffs and they are more into movies than people who merely watch movies.
A book worm is someone who is more into reading than the average person who reads the occasional book.
A race driver is not someone who brings his cabriolet to the race track on a weekend.

Gamer: plays more than the odd casual title on a rainy day.
Must be identified as such, because gamer won't play casual games.
Stereotypes are unfair, but they exist for a reason. Have you ever been to Gen Con? About two-thirds of the people there are perfectly normal, likable people who happen to play games. And the other third are morbidly obese, with poor hygiene, stained T-shirts, and no social skills. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. About a third.

Now, I don't think gaming makes you into a social dropout. But it requires little social interaction, no physical activity, no sunshine, and usually has little educational or artistic value. So it definitely attracts social dropouts. The worst members of any group tend to define the stereotype. The reason gaming is stigmatized, and not reading, movies, or racing, is the fault of a specific group of people and the media's portrayal of them.

nmaster64

Nov 7, 2007
You know I really wasn't so much intending to troll as to simply express my exacerbation with Yahtzee's idiotic opinions. But, I can't say that label hasn't been attached to be in the past when it wasn't my intention to do so.
Sorry, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

deltanium

Feb 19, 2010
Ok... I'll try to keep it simple, but I doubt it will happen.
I do enjoy Yathzee's ZP and XP as well as most of its opinions on cynism, gaming and dick analogies. Therefore I am a silent admirer like most of the internet I assume. The reason my silence breaks today is actually to revoke XP's last argument regarding the word "gamer" and its use.

Naturally, gamer like many other words have had many different reasonings and semantics over the history, but a word is hardly a true matter of discussion. In fact, if we all agree, would stop using the word gamer and replace it with killer, just for the jest, without alteration of the definition would be as pointless as changing it for his elaborate tell-me-your-life-yawn-I'm-bored sounding. Yes, a word leaves an image of the said definition in one's mind and yes we have come to accept that said definition over the years, so to get around all this: Even though Yahtzee brought a pretty decent argument on "gamers" it is nonetheless misled by the very concept of it all, the definition.

First off, I would like to say that images are everywhere, whether justified by a personal definition or not. A gamer is someone who plays video games on a certain frequency, like poverty, it's a loose definition. Some consider themselves rich by being able to drink pure water or having a pure soul if that counts, some are considered poor for being heartless. Although none of these definitions have numbers to illustrate a line between rich and poor, the loose definition fills the blanks with one's ability to define the matter through a subjective point of view. Same could be said for gamers, so there is no need for this definition to have a said frequency or number of hours to acquire a proper gamer title. ESPECIALLY not achievement points of any kinds.

Now that we have a simple loose definition of gaming, there is a certain standard coming into play saying that gamers are so and such that stands outside the definition. Fat, otaku, emo, weirdos, or paperlichenkovs, etc. These standards are what ends up altering the definition on a greater mass and then changes the image of what a gamer is supposed to be. Yet the real definition or the proto-definition if everyone agrees to change it stays unchanged. A gamer is someone who plays video games on a certain frequency. Yet these people has certain predispositions and likelyhood toward those newly established standards and that's undeniable. If you play WoW instead of playing basket-ball, don't expect to loose too much weight. Certainly you can by eating healthy and moving from time to time but the level of activity of gaming, except for the Wii and those new motion controls, are pretty low. The same can be said if you eat at McDonald and should you call these people McBurger raiders or people enjoying greasy food won't alter the image of an obese man or fat-assed woman. Neither do changing the word gamer for an euphemism will alter the image of it.

So it is true: Gamers have an image problem. That's not to say they are losers or any worst than those sweaty Brunos who plays though with their steel-plated abs. Nowaday every words has or will eventually have an image problem if you look deep enough, that's mankind for you. There is no reason for that to change unless tolerance and friendship hits us through way of tactical nuclear strike. Personally, I go with cynicism about it and live my life that way. I assume the "gamer" I don't know well is an antisocial reject fat and unloved by his parents and get to know the guy better to maybe prove myself happily surprised I was wrong or satisfied I was right, just like every E3 hype, no?

As for the term normal, that would be the word I would ban. It's offensive when you don't feel like belonging and shouldn't be used to describe anyone for there is no one that can claim itself pure of any deviance. And if a such person did exist being the average-perfection of what we expect of a human being, that guy is surely the only one and therefore special in itself, should I not say abnormally normal.

Until next time, Escapist.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
ilovemyLunchbox said:
You know, I've put up with the self-important, narcissistic bullshit of a one Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw for quite some time now. And though that is hardly a stretch for me, as I have been absorbing the anger and prejudice of the world's asshole population for a good three decades, I can no longer stand to have Yahtzee's own brand of verbal diarrhea being funneled into my ear canal any longer.

I put up with a lot of shit from people like Yahtzee over the years. But when you call Aerith Gainsborough a "flaky bint", you have stepped over the proverbial line. I have no more patience for you, Croshaw. Take your crybaby rants that you poorly disguise as legitimate reviews and stick them up your pasty, white tuchus. You really wanna know what the definition of the stereotypical asshole gamer that gives us all a bad name? Every morning you look at one in the mirror when you wake up. It's people like you that ruin this hobby for the rest of us.

And before you accuse me of the following. No, I do not own a body pillow or any other perverted anime crap. Though I'm sure you'll claim otherwise in next week's article.
Aeris is a flaky bint. Hell, she was the most boring character in the game. I stand by that steadfast. I never understood the obsession with her.
Most boring, perhaps, but Yuffie is the most annoying person there is, IN THE WHOLE FRANCHISE.

Calumon: Smell like milk? But I thought milk makes you younger when you bathe in it?

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
What this means to you is that there won't be a ZP or an XP next week. Now, you only have a right to complain about this if you are actually paying money to watch and read this stuff.
I pay for it by devoting a portion of my valuable retina-space to advertisements.

Also, this just in: Yahtzee involved in giant pot/kettle/black extravaganza! Kettle vapourised! Yahtzee triumphant! Spectators underwhelmed.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
This being a forum for gaming, why would this not be the most appropriate place to discuss a gaming character?
It's clearly only appropriate when Yahtzee has already formulated a general opinion for his adoring fans some time in advance.

One wonders sometime...

TakuTheSamurai

Apr 15, 2009
"Or a sweaty, fat, neckbearded manchild weeping over their Aeris body pillows (or is it Aerith? I can never remember)."

Both are correct. It is Aerith for Westerners and Aeris for the Japanese. It's the difference between English and Engrish, where the only difference is the phonemes involved and whether or not everyone around you is ostracizing you.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Most boring, perhaps, but Yuffie is the most annoying person there is, IN THE WHOLE FRANCHISE.
No hate for Vanille? But she has an unfair disadvantage because of the voice acting. And she never stole all your materia.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
I have to agree with Yahtzee. I play games: Videogames, board games, card games and table top rpgs. But my other hobbies include powerlifting and training for MMA while in college. I hate the stereotype attached to being a "gamer".

Random douchebag: Oh you've probably never had sex and I can kick your ass because you are just a gamer!!

Me: I am 6'4, I can bench 400lbs and deadlift over 700. I have been in martial arts since age six. I have been married and divorced. If we get in a fight, I will ground and pound you until you cry for your mom. then I will let the legion of other gamers outside the gamestop teabag you for hours. Shut up.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
blalien said:
veloper said:
His worst article yet.

There ARE movie buffs and they are more into movies than people who merely watch movies.
A book worm is someone who is more into reading than the average person who reads the occasional book.
A race driver is not someone who brings his cabriolet to the race track on a weekend.

Gamer: plays more than the odd casual title on a rainy day.
Must be identified as such, because gamer won't play casual games.
Stereotypes are unfair, but they exist for a reason. Have you ever been to Gen Con? About two-thirds of the people there are perfectly normal, likable people who happen to play games. And the other third are morbidly obese, with poor hygiene, stained T-shirts, and no social skills. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. About a third.

Now, I don't think gaming makes you into a social dropout. But it requires little social interaction, no physical activity, no sunshine, and usually has little educational or artistic value. So it definitely attracts social dropouts. The worst members of any group tend to define the stereotype. The reason gaming is stigmatized, and not reading, movies, or racing, is the fault of a specific group of people and the media's portrayal of them.
Yes, our hobby doesn't exclude many people. I've always thought of this as a good thing.
It's not their fault. Fat, ugly, poor people are welcome as gamers.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
evilthecat said:
2. Her 'personality' (for want of a better word) is a series of cutsey/moe stereotypes. She has no real complexity and just bounces between being offensively sweet and upbeat and ramming her 'targic' history in our faces in an effort to gain our sympathy.
This aspect of her character is granted some depth by sense of forboding doom that permenates every scene she is in. A perfect analogy against her character is offered in one of her very first scenes: the bed of flowers in the ruined church into which Cloud crashes from above.