Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
I think for most people, saying "I play games" and "I am a gamer" is, for all intents and purposes, equivalent. It'll probably draw the exact same stereotype image in their heads when you say it. Even if you just mention that you play games amongst other things, like in the article's last paragraph, it'll probably be the same.

Even if the word gamer becomes extinct, you'll have most people saying "I play games" and then the people who used to identify as "gamers" saying "I play games, but not casually. I really like 'em and I'm really good" ... you see how this changes nothing right?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Kavachi said:
You know, I've put up with the self-important, narcissistic bullshit of a one Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw for quite some time now. And though that is hardly a stretch for me, as I have been absorbing the anger and prejudice of the world's asshole population for a good three decades, I can no longer stand to have Yahtzee's own brand of verbal diarrhea being funneled into my ear canal any longer.

I put up with a lot of shit from people like Yahtzee over the years. But when you call Aerith Gainsborough a "flaky bint", you have stepped over the proverbial line. I have no more patience for you, Croshaw. Take your crybaby rants that you poorly disguise as legitimate reviews and stick them up your pasty, white tuchus. You really wanna know what the definition of the stereotypical asshole gamer that gives us all a bad name? Every morning you look at one in the mirror when you wake up. It's people like you that ruin this hobby for the rest of us.

And before you accuse me of the following. No, I do not own a body pillow or any other perverted anime crap. Though I'm sure you'll claim otherwise in next week's article.
Perfect example of unwarranted self-importance.

OT: Well, I don't agree with every XP you write, but this one was right on the money. Gj on this one. Also, that gaming bar sounds like fun, should go to Australië sometime to check it out. :D
Oi, I keep forgetting that disagreement with Yahtzee brings about the swarming of his fanboys. You know the ones who make accounts here, poison the forums with parroting of Yahtzee's vitriol as well as constant espousal of their man crush on him. Then generally they leave, get banned or move on to off-topic to make other types of useless or insulting threads. Thanks, Yahtzee Fanboys! You make The Escapist a much less enjoyable place to be.
Oh irony... bring us one of the biggest Final Fantasy fanboys I've ever seen, and then watching him rant about "Yahtzee fanboys". Seriously, grow up. Just because someone disagreed with YOUR option of Aeris means you have to go off on some 12 year old whiny rant at them? Sure, I liked the game and felt pretty sad when she died, but I could care less if other people talk shit on it. I constantly talk shit on Halo and the now 4 remakes of it, but I have friends that love that game...

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
veloper said:
blalien said:
veloper said:
His worst article yet.

There ARE movie buffs and they are more into movies than people who merely watch movies.
A book worm is someone who is more into reading than the average person who reads the occasional book.
A race driver is not someone who brings his cabriolet to the race track on a weekend.

Gamer: plays more than the odd casual title on a rainy day.
Must be identified as such, because gamer won't play casual games.
Stereotypes are unfair, but they exist for a reason. Have you ever been to Gen Con? About two-thirds of the people there are perfectly normal, likable people who happen to play games. And the other third are morbidly obese, with poor hygiene, stained T-shirts, and no social skills. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. About a third.

Now, I don't think gaming makes you into a social dropout. But it requires little social interaction, no physical activity, no sunshine, and usually has little educational or artistic value. So it definitely attracts social dropouts. The worst members of any group tend to define the stereotype. The reason gaming is stigmatized, and not reading, movies, or racing, is the fault of a specific group of people and the media's portrayal of them.
Yes, our hobby doesn't exclude many people. I've always thought of this as a good thing.
It's not their fault. Fat, ugly, poor people are welcome as gamers.
It's not their physical appearance that gets to me. It's the giant floating neon sign that says, "I have no dignity. I care about other people only until it gets me what I want. When I die, my life will have had no impact on the world."

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
blalien said:
Just out of curiosity, what do you male gamers do on a first date with a woman who doesn't play games? Admit you're a gamer but insist you're not a loser? Admit you're a gamer but not care if she thinks you're a loser? Avoid the topic completely? Avoid conversation completely? Refuse to date woman who aren't also gamers?
Typically the more (ugh I'm gonna say it)hardcore about gaming you are. The less dates you receive.

Keeping in mind statement goes out the window the more both people are into games.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
He's completely right, I wholeheartedly agree, and I really want to move to Australia and visit the Mana Bar.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Irridium said:
If you really want to be classified as "gamer", I have a handy dandy little chart so you can see what kind of gamer you are.

However thats only if you consider yourself a gamer, instead of simply "someone who play games".
A chart so /v/...I can feel the rage seeping through it.

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
Look if you it'll make you all happy, and make my life less full of insults, I'll give you my opinion.

I like Aerith because she's a the polar opposite of everyone else in that game. Altruistic because she wants to be, not for ulterior motives. A bright and bluntly honest person in a dingy world full of people who constantly blur the truth for their own selfish reasons. Whether to themselves or others. She's extremely central to the plot, even after the point where she's murdered. And she defies being classified into one of the three stereotypes of female gaming characters. A. Bad-ass action girl. (Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Rubi) B. Damsel in Distress (Peach, Yorda, Rosa) or C. Nerdy Sidekick. (Alyx Vance, Lucca, Roll Casket) I'm aware that she has a Peach moment, but it's done with good intention and she still shows strength during that moment and in the following portions of that act. And I just like her personality, she's a strong person without having to be needlessly macho. Which isn't something that makes sense a lot of the time with gaming females.

Satisfied?
You know I went ahead and gave my opinion when you all asked me too. You could at least acknowledge that I have done so.
I may just well be in the minority but I thought Aerith Gainsborough was a pretty decent character. Out of all the corruption and filth in the setting of FFVII, she was that one person who had a deeper connection with life and all human beings. The Ancients plotline with her was used a lot, though I don't think it was used quite enough to ruin her as character. As said before, it worked for Luke Skywalker and other fictional characters.

Wayward Sean

Aug 19, 2009
To every single person who is saying that gaming is not accepted like reading and movie-watching, I extend this token of knowledge to your egocentricity. There are 6.7 billion people on earth, about 1.5 billion of which live in a first world country. The numbers of current systems owners is about 73.9 million for Wii, 41.7 million for X-Box, 38.1 million for PS3, 133.1 million for DS, and 59.5 million for the PSP. That is 346.3 million systems sold. Most systems are purchased in first world countries. Some people may own multiple systems, but some people may own none and rely on older systems (Gamecube, N64, PS2, etc.) so we won't take either into account. That means about 23% of people in first world countries own a gaming system. Now take into account that married people and children live in the same households, so the percentage of households with a system can be assumed to be much higher. That means that well over 1 out of every 5 people in first world countries owns a system. And well over 1 out of every 4 households has a system. YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. VIDEOGAMES ARE ACCEPTED IN SOCIETY.

And to those who say that "gamers" should be a label for people who play more games than casual gamers, I would assume you mean you play shooters like Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2, which are two of the highest selling games in recent history. Once again, you say you are an elitist, yet you play the most common games around.

Just food for thought.

aschoenroth

Nov 9, 2009
I just wanted to point out at the end of the rant, Yahtzee was described as a gamer, and writes for PC gamer magazine :)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'm a gamer.

Ooooh snap!

But I'm also...
...A college student.
...A technical engineer (or "Computer *****" if we must go the snide route)
...An educational volunteer.
...An overly opinionated asshole (so, I guess that makes me a philosopher too, OH SNAP x2!).
...An older brother.
...A handyman.
...A budding bad movie critic.

And so on.
Am I proud of this? No, not really, but it's because I don't need to be proud of it.
I'm the sum of my actions and reactions to life. I make my own choices, and set my own goals, and that's more than enough for me. Sure, I don't think anyone wants to be shoehorned into a stereotype, but it's not like you can stop people from doing that.
People are assholes, period.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
You know I really wasn't so much intending to troll as to simply express my exacerbation with Yahtzee's idiotic opinions. But, I can't say that label hasn't been attached to be in the past when it wasn't my intention to do so.
You're so sick of the Zp fans, you continually post responses to them?
I dislike Zp but I find myself reading his articles, it's a shame because this one was actually quite good.
There is no discussion on it now because one person has taken it upon themselves to respond like a douchebag to a minor comment on the whole.

Perhaps you should step away from the computer and go outside, take a walk do something else if "Aeris is a flaky bint" grinds your gears so much.
Not every one agrees with you about her being interesting, hell I certainly don't. Neither will I justify it to you because of the way you flipped off the handle like a spastic pelican.

This was pretty much the stereotypical rant of the fanboy, Good job.

OT: I hate the word, "Gamer" and I always have. I don't see people that play video games as such because it sounds more like a job description than a hobby.
People who play football aren't "Footballers", even if they play it every night with their friends in the park.
It's a hobby and something they enjoy, had they done it on a professional level then yes they would be footballers.

We've given ourselves a title which has only been associated with introverts and social pariahs, yet we feel comfortable with it.
Granted the modern era has reduced the flak from others somewhat, now game reach out to a wider variety of people and in some ways it's a good thing.
However even with that happening, those that identify themselves as gamers are still looked down upon because they don't disengage from that particular hobby, like the rest of the people.

I find "Girl gamers" to be a mixed bag, some of them can be ok and some of them can really play on their femininity and "make it work" for them.
Granted the guy will do anything just to hang out with a girl gamer and that's part of the problem. Not only do we place them on a pedestal, but eventually we kick it out from underneath them and they probably get a little furious because we don't treat them like we used too.

The girl gamer thing is mostly our fault, we don't treat them like equals off the bat and some of them come to expect things.
Some girls just want to play the game like anyone else, that's cool yet the others that don't and want to exploit their natural features ruin it for those that do.
That's why "Girl Gamers" get way more attention than others, even if they don't want it.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
blalien said:
veloper said:
blalien said:
veloper said:
His worst article yet.

There ARE movie buffs and they are more into movies than people who merely watch movies.
A book worm is someone who is more into reading than the average person who reads the occasional book.
A race driver is not someone who brings his cabriolet to the race track on a weekend.

Gamer: plays more than the odd casual title on a rainy day.
Must be identified as such, because gamer won't play casual games.
Stereotypes are unfair, but they exist for a reason. Have you ever been to Gen Con? About two-thirds of the people there are perfectly normal, likable people who happen to play games. And the other third are morbidly obese, with poor hygiene, stained T-shirts, and no social skills. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. About a third.

Now, I don't think gaming makes you into a social dropout. But it requires little social interaction, no physical activity, no sunshine, and usually has little educational or artistic value. So it definitely attracts social dropouts. The worst members of any group tend to define the stereotype. The reason gaming is stigmatized, and not reading, movies, or racing, is the fault of a specific group of people and the media's portrayal of them.
Yes, our hobby doesn't exclude many people. I've always thought of this as a good thing.
It's not their fault. Fat, ugly, poor people are welcome as gamers.
It's not their physical appearance that gets to me. It's the giant floating neon sign that says, "I have no dignity. I care about other people only until it gets me what I want. When I die, my life will have had no impact on the world."
If they didn't have games, they would still be like that. Don't let it get to you.

I call myself a gamer. I do not announce it to the world, but I do stay in touch with the gaming scene. At the very least, like-minded gamers should be visible to the gaming industry.

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
Quite interesting... you're probably right, if games are going to be more mainstream, the people who play them need to make an effort to be more mainstream as well. I'll make a point of not using that term in the future. Anyway, have a great vacation Yahtzee! If you haven't earned it, I dunno who has!

Yeslek Ssomllur

Jul 18, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Does anyone else realize how pathetic it is to defend a fictional character? I cant believe I even bothered resonding...
You mean like God?

And before you accuse me of the following. No, I do not own a body pillow or any other perverted anime crap.
Yes you do.

Complaining about the label gamer, while bringing up legitimate points, reminds me just a little too much of GLBTTQAI Pride meetings at college. People want so desperately to avoid categorization alongside people they don't like, I know fifty different made up terms for being what is by definition "bisexual." I know people (intelligent, clever people) who date both sexes and call themselves something silly to stay out of the ranks of hysterical, slutty 15-year-olds who sleep with everyone to prove how much they fit in with all the other bisexuals. Being called something doesn't EVER turn you into the worst example of what you're being called. If you're worried about other people misunderstanding, perhaps you're too worried about what other people think!

I think one of the main problems here is thinking you have to choose ONE label to fall under. I write frequently, therefore I am a "writer." Simple as that. It doesn't mean I am poor and alcoholic.
I play video games, therefore I am a gamer.
I play guitar, therefore I am a guitar player.
I have sex with dead bodies, therefore I am a necrophiliac.

Viking Incognito

Master Headsplitter
Nov 8, 2009
GOD DAMN IT!!!! (composes self) Excuse me, My reason for that outburst is that I was looking forward to him releasing a ZP on my birthday (tomorrow) but he is going on vacation.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Makes sense. Too bad I wouldn't exactly call Yahtzee 'normal'. Judging from his articles and videos of course, I guess he's just some guy doing stuff for fun. And money.
Question mark?

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
But when you call Aerith Gainsborough a "flaky bint", you have stepped over the proverbial line.
Because really, she's an idiotic halfwit who fully got what she deserved... bint.

OT: Me, I reserve the term 'gamer' for someone who's a lot better at most games than I am. Gaming is something I do to relax, or when I can't do other stuff, like playing instruments, singing, sailing, canoeing/kayaking, or climbing. Yet I label myself as a sailor, and as a paddler. (not a canoeist/kayaker or a musician.) Go figure. I don't see the need to shove the fact I'm female down people's throats, when I'm gaming, or doing any of my other activities, and I don't expect any special treatment or comments (either negative or positive) because of my gender and my chosen interests.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Wayward Sean said:
YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. VIDEOGAMES ARE ACCEPTED IN SOCIETY.
You sir, are my new hero. I shall now make a macaroni replica of your avatar and put it next to my linguine Abraham Lincoln.

Seriously though, what turns people off from the "gamer" is an elitist point of view. I am a huge music buff, but if I was in work talking about how everyone's tastes are wrong if they are different I would also be ostracized. I have seen quite a few shows of anti-casual games in this thread, and that mind set is also what gives gamers a bad name. One of my most enjoyable playing experiences was Elite Beat Agents on the DS. It was fun, challenging, and had a well rounded soundtrack of ear worms that made you want to play more. But, it was a "casual" game. Am I less of a person (who plays games) because I enjoyed it?

Racecar1994

Nov 21, 2009
Look if you it'll make you all happy, and make my life less full of insults, I'll give you my opinion.

I like Aerith because she's a the polar opposite of everyone else in that game. Altruistic because she wants to be, not for ulterior motives. A bright and bluntly honest person in a dingy world full of people who constantly blur the truth for their own selfish reasons. Whether to themselves or others. She's extremely central to the plot, even after the point where she's murdered. And she defies being classified into one of the three stereotypes of female gaming characters. A. Bad-ass action girl. (Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Rubi) B. Damsel in Distress (Peach, Yorda, Rosa) or C. Nerdy Sidekick. (Alyx Vance, Lucca, Roll Casket) I'm aware that she has a Peach moment, but it's done with good intention and she still shows strength during that moment and in the following portions of that act. And I just like her personality, she's a strong person without having to be needlessly macho. Which isn't something that makes sense a lot of the time with gaming females.

Satisfied?
You know I went ahead and gave my opinion when you all asked me too. You could at least acknowledge that I have done so.
Mr. Knight (calling you that for convenience), when I read your first post here, I couldn't stop myself from thinking 'well, here comes the flame war! let's see how this ends for you' and after being an impartial judge on this rather pointless argument, I am more inclined to take your side, regardless of my personal tastes differing from yours.

Here's the thing, however; It is undoubtedly clear that you've read the article, yet posted a comment that is basically like 'taking the bait'. This is fine on a general note, but this is a thread where the inhabitants are Yahtzee fans (myself included) so I fail to see what you tried to accomplish besides proving to yourself that yahtzee fans hate you and Aeris is 'brilliant'. The people who respond to you will probably not be JRPG fans, and will rise up to your challenge and grieve you.

But to the people who have been arguing with her, I would like to just ask one thing: do you care? At the end of the day, this is not going to affect your lives beyond this thread, and Yahtzee is not going to care what one person with differing views has to say: he's made his point clear, and he's off on vacation now. A flame war like this continues because people feel like they have a personal stake in it. I'd just like to say that in the long run, there isn't. Just let this go.

On the topic of the thread; yes, I can understand why the title 'gamer' could be considered derogatory, but the reason people link it to a negative image (besides the media milking it constantly for cheap jokes) could possibly be because it's an acquired 'taste'. My sister once said that she didn't like the idea of games because there is no real consequence for death (Yes, I did tell her that the alternative would be rubbish), but if you're a person who can get over that (to a point, mind) then that won't bother you. A person might not like books because they can't immerse themselves in them. A person might not like movies because they leave very little to the imagination. We could probably give examples that, at least for us, would defend our interests, but at the end of the day; It's just what works for people.

Yeah, I'd say your opnion on Aeris is solid, Mr. Knight, but of course not bulletproof.