Doom Eternal thoughts thread.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So I haven't gotten as far in Doom Eternal as I would prefer but I have thoughts to share. The gameplay is as fun as ever but it does have a learning curve, for instance, use the chain saw all the time. In Doom 2016 even on nightmare I mainly saved the chainsaw for big guys but in Doom Eternal it seems like it just doesn't work on big enemies but it recharges and lets you just chainsaw up the small guys, which you will need to do since ammo is a much more scarce commodity then it was in any other doom game. Also, Don't execute unless you need to, you seem to have a bit more time without taking damage from enemies but spending time trying not to just gib an enemy but stagger them can get you in bad positions since the enemies are much more brutal then they were in any other doom game.

I'm still not sure about the plot, its not really a continuation of Doom 2016 and the world it sets up is just weird and feels like it was made by a D&D DM who is way to excited to make their own world but isn't quite as good as he thinks he is.

The level layout feels really really videogamey. Like nothing seems like it is natural, it just feels like it was put there because it would be cool. I mean the levels look great and are fun to get around but I find myself very aware I'm playing a video game.

What does everyone else think so far?

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Finished the first two levels so far. I'm very...confused, both in gameplay and plot terms. The almost Mario-esque platforming feels totally out of place. I may have made a mistake in going right to Ultraviolence, too, because while I've done all the combat encounters (including the secret ones and the first Slayer Gate), but I'm perpetually low on health and ammo. The lives system is also a completely baffling inclusion, though it's also the only way I've managed to get this far.

Plot thoughts:
The fuck? When did we go from a breach on Mars to full Hell On Earth apocalypse? Where did I get this orbital base that feels like a Space Marine Fortress-Monastery? Why and how the fuck did I go to some magitech planet infested with demons, apparently the home of the Night Sentinels (who just look like Gears of War rejects)? Literally what the hell is going on, I feel like I missed an entire game or something here.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I will double up on the ammo being kind of scarce. And the chainsaw being (literally assigned to) the reload button is a bit of an odd bit to get used to.

The level layouts been kind of a meh for me so far. Some of the arenas actually feel too open (And there's also an awful opposite case early on where you have to fight one of the new spider-dudes in a broom closet effectively).

The new platforming stuff with the climbable walls and swing bars just feels out of place and tacked on. Prettymuch fulfilling the bad expectaction I had when they said they were going to add more platforming. The swing bars in particularly seem kind of dodgy with their detection.

Melee being unable to stagger guys also is kind of annoying, taking away some of fodder aspect from the Possessed and forcing you to waste ammo on them (they don't seem to lock up moving forwards though, they're literally there to be killed for health or ammo as always)

The basic gameplay is still as solid as ever. Doom guy does feel a tad xquishier and/or the enemies are a bit heavier on leading or AoE attacks. The new tactical stuff I'm still kind of mixed on. Shooting a grenade into a cacodemons mouth is novel the first few times, but will probably get old fast. The spider-guys seeming to require a modded attack (sniper or sticky shot) followed by a different modded (full auto shotty seems to be the only thing that kills them in any kind of timely manner) attack is another kind of awkward bit, maybe it'll get smoother over time..

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ravinoff said:
Finished the first two levels so far. I'm very...confused, both in gameplay and plot terms. The almost Mario-esque platforming feels totally out of place. I may have made a mistake in going right to Ultraviolence, too, because while I've done all the combat encounters (including the secret ones and the first Slayer Gate), but I'm perpetually low on health and ammo. The lives system is also a completely baffling inclusion, though it's also the only way I've managed to get this far.
Seth Carter said:
I will double up on the ammo being kind of scarce. And the chainsaw being (literally assigned to) the reload button is a bit of an odd bit to get used to.

***snip***
As I said in my post, you have to learn about resource management. Use the flame thrower and chainsaw as much as you can, you see a few roaming enemies, chainsaw them, get that ammo back. I'm still getting used to it since I only rarely used it before.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Worgen said:
https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.1057829-The-DOOM-Eternal-review-thread?page=2#24332141

(Don't know why a new review thread needed to be started, but whatever.)

Also, per what others have said, ammo does seem scarcer, and it's odd that the most basic weapon of the game (the shotgun) is arguably the most vital (it can lob grenades into cacodemons and arachnatrons). I've switched to using the machine gun as my default weapon. Also, the chainsaw. I used it sparingly original, but now, apparently it's kind of a default weapon.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Theres something i may not like like focus on fantasy elements and rogue angel. but my goodness game is just masterpeice. im only half way but i can say this is second best FPS i have played after STALKER SoC.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ravinoff said:

Plot thoughts:
The fuck? When did we go from a breach on Mars to full Hell On Earth apocalypse? Where did I get this orbital base that feels like a Space Marine Fortress-Monastery? Why and how the fuck did I go to some magitech planet infested with demons, apparently the home of the Night Sentinels (who just look like Gears of War rejects)? Literally what the hell is going on, I feel like I missed an entire game or something here.
I suspect all the wierd plot stuff is because that's what DOOM 2 did back in the day. DOOM 2016 is basically remaking DOOM and DOOM ETERNAL is essentially remaking DOOM 2 and that's why.

And DOOM 2 never really justified it either, especially since none of those games had more then like 3 pages of text to explain the plot. The extra content(basically a DLC nowadays but at the time it was called an Expansion Pack) had no justification. DOOM had an extra episode called "Thy Flesh Consumed" which was basically a bunch of really hard levels with pieces of bible verses used as really creepy and forboding level names, which was basically par for the course at the time

Lets face it, DOOM isn't really known for have a deep or coherent plot beyond "Here's a Gun. There are Demons. You know what to do". There's backstory in the manual explaining how the Doomguy ended up on Mars in time for the first game but nobody really cares and it affects nothing about the game itself.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Dalisclock said:
I suspect all the wierd plot stuff is because that's what DOOM 2 did back in the day.
Doom 2 didn't do anything near as crazy as Doom Eternal. And while the game is taking inspiration from it, stuff like Argent D'Nur, and all the associated stuff, most certainly doesn't stem from Doom 2.

The extra content(basically a DLC nowadays but at the time it was called an Expansion Pack) had no justification.
https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Thy_Flesh_Consumed#Plot

It's an interquel between Doom 1 and 2. It fits in rather nicely actually.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Worgen said:
The level layout feels really really videogamey. Like nothing seems like it is natural, it just feels like it was put there because it would be cool. I mean the levels look great and are fun to get around but I find myself very aware I'm playing a video game.
Probably one of my favorite things about it. I am tired of games trying to be realistic. I want to know that I'm playing a video game. It enhances my enjoyment.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Easily the most fun I've had with an FPS in years. It's simply chaotic badass fun, and there is nothing more about it. It's unapologetic about what it is.

Unfortunately I don't like FPs games so it's just a fun distraction for me.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Worgen said:
As I said in my post, you have to learn about resource management. Use the flame thrower and chainsaw as much as you can, you see a few roaming enemies, chainsaw them, get that ammo back. I'm still getting used to it since I only rarely used it before.

Having gotten a bit farther in, yeah, there's a bit of adjustment. I'm basically having to kick in Warframe combat style whipping in the Flamethrower and Ice Bomb pretty liberally as well (Comboing the two on a group of demons basically puts them out of the fight while they churn up a pile of armour for you). Also the Blood Punch being applied liberally helps take out the smaller demons reliably.

That said I'm still not 100% sure on whether the additional tactics are entirely in favor of the core appeal of Doom. Its better then Wolfenstein Youngbloods weird junk (I mean, DE's actually works as advertised, for one, it doesn't tell you shoot enemy with X gun then have that accomplish nothing), but is still somewhat of a complication to the pace.

Hawki said:
Also, per what others have said, ammo does seem scarcer, and it's odd that the most basic weapon of the game (the shotgun) is arguably the most vital (it can lob grenades into cacodemons and arachnatrons). I've switched to using the machine gun as my default weapon. Also, the chainsaw. I used it sparingly original, but now, apparently it's kind of a default weapon.
You can should grenade the cacodemons for the same effect, and the scope shot on the Heavy CAnnon takes out Arachnotrong//REvenant turrets.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Adam Jensen said:
Worgen said:
Probably one of my favorite things about it. I am tired of games trying to be realistic. I want to know that I'm playing a video game. It enhances my enjoyment.
Same. Doom (2016) more or less killed the "realism" (when it was already wearing thin) phase in most FPS/TPS, and Doom Eternal is to make sure it stays buried in the ground. Speaking of being an actual game, DE has actual multiple save files. Sure, it's only 3, but now you don't have to use a different account or another person's console to do a fresh run on the harder difficulty without NG+. I swear, the game industry tries to find ways to make spend extra money on shit just to take away the convenience factor. Nintendo, some Japanese publisher/devs, and most of the indie crowd are the only ones I know that bother with multiple save files nowadays.

Ravinoff said:

I never start a game on the hardest difficulty if given the choice. My first runs are always for fun with a well balanced challenge. I only do harder difficulties when I'm familiar with the game. And even then, that usually applies to games like Devil May Cry. Most fps games I rarely go above Normal mode. If I started on the highest difficulty to a game I just started playing, I would not be having fun.

Worgen said:
Here is my favorites!

https://27-allgamesdelta.s-ul.eu/zf0N5sPe

Liking the game so far. I've only completed the first mission. I'll play more on Sunday, as work sucked on Saturday. Plus, I am tired. After I help my brother with his favor, it's back to DE.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
CoCage said:
Adam Jensen said:
Worgen said:
Same. Doom (2016) more or less killed the "realism" (when it was already wearing thin) phase in most FPS/TPS, and Doom Eternal is to make sure it stays buried in the ground. Speaking of being an actual game, DE has actual multiple save files. Sure, it's only 3, but now you don't have to use a different account or another person's console to do a fresh run on the harder difficulty without NG+. I swear, the game industry tries to find ways to make spend extra money on shit just to take away the convenience factor. Nintendo, some Japanese publisher/devs, and most of the indie crowd are the only ones I know that bother with multiple save files nowadays.

Ravinoff said:

I never start a game on the hardest difficulty if given the choice. My first runs are always for fun with a well balanced challenge. I only do harder difficulties when I'm familiar with the game. And even then, that usually applies to games like Devil May Cry. Most fps games I rarely go above Normal mode. If I started on the highest difficulty to a game I just started playing, I would not be having fun.
My point wasn't realism for the environments, but a sense of them actually existing. Like having someone say you will never catch them then sending you floating platforms you need to get to them kinda thing.

Those were good but how about this.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I see lot of people complaining about low on health and ammo on steam. lol. this actually give you challenge. game required tons of strategy actually.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
B-Cell said:
I see lot of people complaining about low on health and ammo on steam. lol. this actually give you challenge. game required tons of strategy actually.
Kind of unbelievable. It just goes to show how most gamers today are accustomed to hand-holding in most FPS's.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Adam Jensen said:
B-Cell said:
Kind of unbelievable. It just goes to show how most gamers today are accustomed to hand-holding in most FPS's.
I can't believe I am saying this, but B-Cell actually has a point. Hell, must be freezing over. I remember a time when this one teenage freaked out over something that wasn't COD, and he started holding himself and hyperventilating. This was at a GameStop back in 2015 I was just looking around (my favorite local one), and tried reccomended him a game. It was Rayman Legends. The kid definitely had some type of mental condition, because it was not him putting on a show or act. Another time, at the same GS in mid 2018, a guy around my age or older was looking for an FPS. I tried recommending Doom (2016), but it's obvious the dude was scared stepping out of his comfort zone. Or that he seemed to be afraid of any challenges. He claimed to have played some of the older Dooms, back in the day, but for the most part had been playing COD/Battlefield, and sometimes Far Cry. He ended up getting Far Cry 4, if I remember correctly. Seriously, what is with certain gamers being attached to their "get behind cover, regenerate health, you only get to hold two or three weapons limit!". hat reminds me my time in trade school where some of my respective classmates claim to enjoy COD on the hardest settings, and one guy who played Dynasty Warriors on the hardest setting and all that boasting. But the moment I show them clips of Bayonetta 2 (the prologue chapter on Normal mode) and the optional bonus fight with Rodan, they all get scared and say that "it's too tough for you". Where did all that bravado go? If I can beat both Bayo games on the max difficulty you guys can too. Also, the played COD on the hardest setting did not understand the difference betweeen Serious Sam, Doom (2013), or the usual COD. Despite me explaining and showing the difference. He just did not get it. Which goes to show how out of touch gamers are with differences or difficulty.

Worgen said:
Not an MLP fan (I know it's Luna), but the art is neat. One more for the road.

https://i.redd.it/4cw40mtpntx11.jpg

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Dalisclock said:
Yoshi178 said:
Worgen said:

those guys should really be self isolating.
They've got a couple bottles of Hand Sanitizer. They'll be fine.
Plus Doom Guy has some pretty heavy duty gloves and face mask, there is no way he is getting ill.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Ravinoff said:

Plot thoughts:
I suspect all the wierd plot stuff is because that's what DOOM 2 did back in the day. DOOM 2016 is basically remaking DOOM and DOOM ETERNAL is essentially remaking DOOM 2 and that's why.

And DOOM 2 never really justified it either, especially since none of those games had more then like 3 pages of text to explain the plot. The extra content(basically a DLC nowadays but at the time it was called an Expansion Pack) had no justification. DOOM had an extra episode called "Thy Flesh Consumed" which was basically a bunch of really hard levels with pieces of bible verses used as really creepy and forboding level names, which was basically par for the course at the time

Lets face it, DOOM isn't really known for have a deep or coherent plot beyond "Here's a Gun. There are Demons. You know what to do". There's backstory in the manual explaining how the Doomguy ended up on Mars in time for the first game but nobody really cares and it affects nothing about the game itself.

This is the inevitable issue these IPs run into when they?re decades old; especially ones that were meant to be basic like Doom. The devs must be in a perpetual state of ?How can we make this better/different/more interesting?? every time the last one sells boatloads prompting the cash train to keep on choo-chooing onto the next station.