Draw Harley Quinn Naked, Killing Herself, To Win DC Artist Contest

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
[facapalm] Classy DC...real classy...

Oh well, New 52 wasn't doing them any favors in regards to characterization anyways, however cool the stories have been.

I can't know the context, which I am hoping alleviates how bad the statement itself sounds. Still, it isn't like comic book characters haven't been subjected to worse, unfortunately.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
i know that she is crazy but, well so your a cartoonist makes the point rather well

They should allow more freedom with this if they want aspiring artist let them get really creative with it, because the creative ones will do the best ideas.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Psychobabble said:
Abomination said:
Oh dear, a woman who has been depicted as being completely devoted to a homicidal maniac and is clinically insane is offing herself in a bathtub.

Clearly this is sexist that someone would dare draw an insane WOMAN doing something insane while being NAKED involving SUICIDE.

WOMAN
NAKED
SUICIDE

Ignore everything else. Those are the triggers of these social justice warriors.

Forget the other things like

FICTIONAL
INSANE
CARTOON
VILLAN
Yes exactly Abomination! Thank you for pointing out so succinctly why this contest should be banned.
Now I realize I was being sarcastic and I hope it was pretty obvious that I do not believe people should take this entire thing out of context... but I don't know if YOU were being sarcastic with your response.

Father Time said:
So at what point can we start calling Social Justice Warriors like these conservative?
I do not think it's possible for the hyper-liberal to be called conservative. Similar methods of wanting stuff that's morally reprehensible to them banned to conservatives but at the same time they're just sticking up for the "oppressed" "minorities".

Same shit, same fan, different direction.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
This is why I stick to the DCAU. Harley turned out just fine in that incarnation after "Mr. J" kicked the bucket.
Well okay, maybe not "just fine," but alive and definitely not an electrocuted naked corpse in a bathtub.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Father Time said:
I thought the whole point of the fan powered feces delivery system was that it got it shit in every direction? Unless you mean it's coming from a different direction in which case I agree.
You're right. It's all about other people being told what opinions they can or can not hold. A shitty situation no matter how you cut it.

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
JaredXE said:
Karloff said:
but the main thrust of the response was that a strong female character was being reduced to a sexualized nothing, and put in a situation that is, at best, unpleasant.

Since when was Harley a "strong female character"? She's nothing without "Mista J", her entire creation and focus of her existence is to be a sexual butt-monkey to a rampaging lunatic. Hell, her whole backstory boils down to: "Bright young woman earns a doctorate in psychology and throws it all away for a man."

Sorry to be a nit picker, I love Harley, but I would never characterize her as a strong female character.

Couldn't be more this! She WAS a strong professional until that strength was broken because she couldn't cope with the Joker's insanity, she's a 'willing' door-mat and is treated as such constantly.

The competition does seem weirdly unsavory though....

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Link? Am in the only one who missed the link to the aforementioned picture? It would be helpful if someone could link me it so I can make up my mind on the matter.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Friv said:
Abomination said:
Father Time said:
I thought the whole point of the fan powered feces delivery system was that it got it shit in every direction? Unless you mean it's coming from a different direction in which case I agree.
You're right. It's all about other people being told what opinions they can or can not hold. A shitty situation no matter how you cut it.
The page, when it is in context, may prove to be quite good or quite bad. It's DC, so I have a suspicion, but I wouldn't automatically judge just on that.

The contest, though... when your go-to for "how to tell if people have talent as artists" is "how well do they draw Harley trying to kill herself, both humorously and non-humorously", you should not be surprised if people start saying, "Why the hell is that your measure of success?"

Because here's the thing.

DC would never have done a contest that ended with the Joker naked in the tub, resigned to his death.
I don't know where they have said that it's the only measure of someone being a capable artist, it's just the way this competition is being handled.

And no, the Joker wouldn't be in that scenario because the Joker isn't the type of character that would be in such a situation.

Harley, though, IS the type of character who could be in that type of situation and the way to get her there is very easily imagined: The Joker is dead.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Dear DC comics did you really actually announce that you want to see a female character drawn "naked" and committing suicide in public? As part of a competition of all things? You must have known people wouldn't check up on the context...

All male DC staff should present themselves as soon as possible to their nearest regional Sarkeesian center for well being for penectomies, female staff should report to one for re-education.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
And precisely nobody who is out there losing their shit over this contest would have lost that shit in the first place, if DC had done the exact same contest featuring the Joker instead of his sidekick.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
"I'm a sequential art student, and I find it a bit appalling that the requirement for panel 4 is essentially drawing a female character committing suicide naked," said one commenter, Seairra Willett, in response to DC's announcement. "The sexualisation of suicide is something I will not be putting effort into for a talent search,"
Hang on.

Being naked doesn't necessarily mean being sexualised.

Are backless gowns in hospitals sexualising women? Not at all.

Nudity can also represent vulnerability, the shedding of a past self, strength of personality, sexual prowess, clumsiness, embarrassment, hilarity, graceful beauty, or simply necessity and practicality. There's probably more. It's all about how you interpret it.

In my humble opinion, if you're accusing an image of sexualising women, you are the one sexualising them through that interpretation of an arguably sexless image.

I get that it's bullshit that it's simultaneously completely OK to draw women naked and cultivate such ridiculous insecurity in them at the same time.

But I don't think that this is an example of that trend.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Paradoxrifts said:
And precisely nobody who is out there losing their shit over this contest would have lost that shit in the first place, if DC had done the exact same contest featuring the Joker instead of his sidekick.
Prove your statement please.
I don't need to. It is self evident, Maiev Shadowsong.

If DC wanted to put a sensually bare Joker in a steaming hot tub, with his pale creamy skin glistening with perspiration and tinged with a barest hint of a rosy hue from the heat, surrounded on all sides by functional white goods, the company would have to beat back the fan girls with a nail-encrusted stick.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Maiev Shadowsong said:
You're the one missing the point.
No need to get defensive. I never said anyone else was wrong-- I said it depended on interpretation.

Nudity = not a problem.

They don't want an image where she happens to be nude though. They want to *see* nudity. They want her exposed. They want to see skin. They want the artist to make it known she has no clothes on. Her nakedness isn't par for course like it would be expected in the bath. Her figure isn't mundane. They go out of their way to demand her body be seen.

While she's killing herself.
And that doesn't scream 'sex' to me.

I know I'm rather an unusual individual in these things, but to be honest I don't think it's going to scream 'sex' to very many people (male or female) at all.

I imagine that in other people it will conjure the same sort of thoughts as in me. Of people having breakdowns in showers, crying to themselves with guns to their heads. Or individuals standing nude before mirrors judging themselves to death. Or a soldier regretting the person he became in a war, shedding their uniform, and then killing themselves.

Again, consider these: "Draw for me a woman killing herself in the bath."
"Draw for me a woman killing herself in the bath. Make sure she's naked."

Guess which one is seedy.
The second, of course, but the comparison you're making is not as apt as it first seems. Slight re-arrangements of words completely change the meaning of the sentence. The textual medium is missing tone and inflection and body language. He didn't write it, he said it, and he didn't say it like that:

Here?s how to enter:

Read the rules & regulations listed below to confirm that you are eligible to enter DC Entertainment?s Open Talent Search and agree to the terms and conditions.

Read the following script page and give us your original artistic interpretation of what those four panels should look like on a single page:

PAGE 15

4 panels

PANEL 1
Harley is on top of a building, holding a large DETACHED cellphone tower in her hands as lightning is striking just about everywhere except her tower. She is looking at us like she cannot believe what she is doing. Beside herself. Not happy.

PANEL 2
Harley is sitting in an alligator pond, on a little island with a suit of raw chicken on, rolling her eyes like once again, she cannot believe where she has found herself. We see the alligators ignoring her.

PANEL 3
Harley is sitting in an open whale mouth, tickling the inside of the whale?s mouth with a feather. She is ecstatic and happy, like this is the most fun ever.

PANEL 4
Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of ?oh well, guess that?s it for me? and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen.
If we were to read it out loud, the naked is more of a throwaway clarification. If it were this:

"Harley sitting, naked, in a bathtub with toasters"

or

"Harley sitting in a bathtub with toasters, naked."

I'd be more inclined to judge his intent the same way you do. To me, it seems like they want the tub to be empty, so they wanted to clarify that she should still be nude even though there's no water in there.

And what I'm saying is that their request is not out of desire for a picture to whack off to, but to express a more nuanced personal crisis through the artistic medium.

Perhaps you imagine an overweight man lecherously making the request for this picture, but imagine if you will a member of the beret-wearing intelligentsia making the same statement. Or if it had been written by a woman?