Duke Nukem Forever Multiplayer Exchanges Flags for "Babes"

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Well yeah, Duke Nukem is supposed to be chauvinistic and extremely offensive. Haven't you guys played the previous Duke games?

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
My inner child giggled with glee at the prospects of this game, while my older more refined sense of humour thinks... aww who am I kidding, a shooter that shamelessly throws all pretense of realism and seriousness out the window? YES PLEASE.

To those who find offense to this game, I have to say, I respect your opinion and agree that sexism and the objectifying of women and we -should- fight it on every front. However, I think the positive reception of this game's premise comes more from the fact that people are sick and tired of playing the same shooter set in the same dirty brown middle-eastern country, starring the same steroided out flag-waving patriots, with the same story that's thinner than a saucer of water but tries to pretend it's the next Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers. Which, on that note, a shooter that actually took the time to tell its story as a progessing epic like Band of Brothers rather than the pathetic 3-4 hours that seem to be given to shooters would probably be really fun to play, regardless of setting.

But I digress, what I am saying is, that people are sick of these games, and so the idea that someone is -finally- making something different has become rather appealing, regardless of the content or how offensive it is. I see it as being locked in a room for three years with a TV that only played war movies, over, and over, and over again. then, after three years, Twilight came on. You would probably think it was pretty good simply because it was different.

scarfacetehstag

Feb 12, 2011
Capture the babe is actually already been done in the warriors, an instead of a reassuring slap its a sucker punch to keep her quiet, so this can't be that much worse.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
awesomeClaw said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
OK, fuck this. Stupid one liners I can handle. Meat-headed yeti protaganists I can handle. Stories so infantile a nurserty creche would look down on, I can handle that. But when developers pull shit like this:

Capture the Babe is exactly what it sounds like. Instead of a flag, players have to pick up a "babe" and bring her back to the home base. The babe will sometimes freak out, and players have to give her a "reassuring slap," which is "more goofy than offensive" according to OXM.
then games deserve all the media hatred they get. Is this what 15 years development time gives us? A tactless shooter using humour that was out of date twenty years ago?

They have a name for people who grap women against their will and use physical violence against them. They're called perverts, woman-beaters, and scum. Maybe this game won't allow you to clock a woman round the side of the head, but seeing how far they're going already, I don't see why the developers felt the need to stop. It's not as if the game could get any more tasteless.

This game is not a throwback to some golden age of shooters. It's a relic from a past which the medium should have abandoned long ago. Exploiting women is not cool, be it for personal gain or entertainment. This slap-happy approach to women doesn't make Duke a cool, finger-to-the-PC-brigade legend, it makes him a fucking ignorant idiot. The only time it's cool to slap a woman is in the bedroom, if that's what she's into. It's not a technique you use to calm women down mid-abduction. The word for that is abuse.

Ultimately, the fact that gamers are willing to play a game where the downright objectfication of women is one of the goals of multiplayer... well, that speaks volumes about where gaming and gamers are right now. And it's not a good place.

EDIT

Reading some of the responses here confirms my worst fears about what gaming has become. There was a time the community of the Escapist would call this out for the bullshit it is. Sadly, the teenagers with no actual life experiences of their own seem to see this as a good idea.

Word of advice kids: When you grow up and enter the real world, you'll see that sexism still exists, in all walks of life, despite what that nice right-wing commentator on Fox or Youtube might say. We should be fighting against that, not welcoming it into our games.
You do realise it´s stupid getting offended by this, right? Duke is a JOKE.

And bud, when you "Grow up and enter the real world", you´ll realise that yes, we should be fighting sexism in REAL LIFE, but that it´s perfectly fine to joke about it. Hell, it´s fine to joke about everything. And if you´re offended by a joke, then i believe that you need to grow some thicker skin.
I am not so convinced that's true. I think the game says more about the maturity of the developers then it says about Duke Nukem himself.

Also, being a joke doesn't make it any less immature. I could spend all day telling racist holocaust jokes and that would not make me an anti-semite, but it would make me very immature as well as annoying.

This game is basically the same. Its not anti-woman per see, but it is tasteless.
Yeah, but sometimes, immature jokes is what you need, you know? It´s like when you get a craving for something you usually hate.

Saint_Zvlkx

Oct 16, 2009
I don't see what the big deal about the whole slapping thing. If you've ever seen Achievement Hunter Weekly Update, then you'll know that slaps can be extremely comical.

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
HAHA! I really hope the world is ready for this. While I think the developers mean it all as a joke, and the gamers should too, there WILL be someone screaming "Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!"

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
JWAN said:
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:
Feminazis can suck my dick.
(the slap isn't a good idea, if anything he should spank)
Im buying this game no matter what.
Yes, cause having respect for women is such a feminazi thing... :\

I seriously can't believe some of you guys.
Half the crap on TV today doesn't respect men. When will people like you learn that its fun for men to tease women and its fun for women to tease men.
The door swings both ways
Agreed here, I have a coloured friend who makes more coloured jokes than anyone I know. No-one is above a joke made by someone else, and if everyone can both give and take a joke, then no-one gets hurt and everyone gets a laugh.

Yes, this is going a bit far, but I have seen worse... And the first 10 or so spanks will be hilarious I'm sure.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
When did people become such prudes lol. Sounds like some good completely non serious fun. Its a duke nukem game for god sakes. I'd buy it if my video game money wasn't already going to something else that month. Perhaps a little more down the line I'll pick it up. The game starts off with two girls going down on duke and the whole strip club thing, but the slap on the butt is the real offensive part hahahaha. I really don't get people sometimes.

For once theirs not an ultra serious fps about brown haired space marines swinging their genitals around to prove who's more of a man. ENJOY IT.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
SO distasteful it's painful, but I suppose it's better than "capture the gum" or something...

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I lol'd at Morningwood. Subtlety is definitely not Duke's specialty. This game is intriguing me more and more.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Puzzlenaut said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Anyone else surprised the level cap isn't something like, oh I dunno... 69?
This XD

OT:
I always thought the Duke to be the kind of guy that would say broad or dame, but w/e.

Fox are gonna have a field day of missing the point.
I dunno, looking an the entire game and every way any of it could be taken wrongly or be offensive... well, that might even be too easy for Fox News to cover...

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
For a second, I read this as "exchanges flags for "babies"".

Boom. Best idea for a mod since Deathclaw fallout companion.

KjellKanon

Aug 6, 2009
This is awesome beyond belief.
I hoped this game would turn out to be over the top in this fashion.
So far it hasn't let me down!
Go Duke!

El_Ganso

Jun 7, 2010
Can't expect less from the man that told an alien boss "I'll rip off your head and shit down your throat" and then is seen doing exactly that in a 3D rendered cut scene :D

Do you think those girls he is slapping in the ass are the same ones that are giving him a Bee Jay during the teaser?

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
http://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/49884569175994368

Just in case this hasn't been posted yet, should calm a few people down. Myself included, I didn't think they were that dumb and happily proved me right.