Duke Nukem Forever Review

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Woodsey said:
"Recommendation: If you are stuck on a deserted island with only this game to play, go fishing instead. Worth playing so that you may be able to say that you did, but otherwise imminently forgettable and not worth your time."

I'm not one to beef about scores too much, but what would a game have to do get a 1-star rating, I mean Jesus Christ xD
The game would have to literally kill your entire family

OT: The real question is, who will the blame ultimately fall on, regardless of who deserves it, will history record Gearbox or 3D Realms as the ultimate doom for Duke?

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Well, there's always Bulletstorm.

If you're disappointed with DNF, get it instead. Captures the 90s run and gun fun much better.
This - Bulletstorm mixed 90's run & gun with modern FPS mechanics very well.

OT: Surprisingly... I never played Duke 3D... so I was neither awaiting the release of DNF... nor disappointed by this review. Lucky me, I guess.

Though... I enjoy seeing some developers trying to recapture the magic of the old school 90's shooters like Doom. It's too bad they couldn't do it... Glad I didn't pre-order.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I don't get people complaining about he lack of maturity in this game. If you want a gritty brown shooter you have enough to choose from.
While not a masterpiece, I think after the flood of overly serious and realistic games, a game like this had to be done.
It's good as long as you don't take it too seriously and just have fun.
BTW, this game seems to be using the old Unreal AI, which can be pretty brutal if you play with a controller. This game is definitely intended to be played with a Keyboard and Mouse.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
The Bandit said:
ZeroMachine said:
I was all set to get this game even if it was a piece of shit, just because it's practically an urban legend.
You should probably go by what the review actually says instead of an arbitrary number. Every reviewer on the planet is incapable of giving a game its lowest possible score, and when you have a 5 point review system, you're going to get quite a few twos for really, really shitty games.
Two stars. Die-hard fans of the genre will find something to like, but anyone else will be hard-pressed to enjoy games of this quality.

One star. So broken as to be unplayable. Not even worth picking up in the bargain bin.
The "arbitrary number" is exactly what applies to ZeroMachine's interest in the game, which suggests to me that their 2-star score is pretty accurate, 1-star being an unplayable (as opposed to playable but not at all worth playing) game.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
After reading this, I already know what I want. Instead of the ego bar starting maxed and lowers when you take damage, I'd say the ego needs to build up as you take damage and kill aliens. Any time spent pussyfooting around like a wuss lowers your ego, and in all likelihood, this controls either some damage multiplier or something along those lines that the higher your ego, the more badass you are. However, when you take damage AFTER your ego is maxed, you lose more health. This simple change could easily add a layer of strategy where you balance risk with reward by doing more damage or having better abilities when your ego gets maxed.

No matter. It looked like this would be a disappointment anyway, sooooo, ah well.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
The Bandit said:
ZeroMachine said:
And yet... two stars.

Hm. Very conflicted now. I was all set to get this game even if it was a piece of shit, just because it's practically an urban legend.

But... I don't know. I just don't know.
You should probably go by what the review actually says instead of an arbitrary number. Every reviewer on the planet is incapable of giving a game its lowest possible score, and when you have a 5 point review system, you're going to get quite a few twos for really, really shitty games.
Hence the "and yet". It was more "I've never seen him or any other reviewer on this site (Yahtzee doesn't count as he doesn't review, he bitches in a humorous manner) bash a game this hard and yet it got two stars".

That's why if I ever write reviews, my "arbitrary number" will be a price. "How much is this game worth?"

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Well, I certainly can't wait until Yahtzee gets a hold of it!

Although let's be honest, by this stage it seems that he could just record himself loudly defecating into the mic and he would still be giving the game too much credit.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Woodsey said:
I'm not one to beef about scores too much, but what would a game have to do get a 1-star rating, I mean Jesus Christ xD
murder someone?
fail you on your driving test?
eat the last cookie?

OT: just knew it, just knew it.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
Good review, based on the comments in the whole review, it should have gotten one-star instead of two, but whatever. Also, to be fair, this game was in development at Gearbox for what? 8 months? They took over the project in August 2010 and the game was ready to release in June 2011. This implies that they took something semi-finished and added bits and pieces to it, for it to be release-able as soon as possible, to cash in on any of the hype that was left over. Theoretically, if Gearbox or any other developer worked on this from start to finish, it might have been more worthwhile, since you know too many chefs quite appartently spoiled the broth.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I can't say I expected much from this.

I want to know what warranted a second star, though.

Fuck, I can barely see what warranted the first.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
What's up with all difficulty complaints? It's not that hard. I've beaten it twice already. you would be surprised if you did so too - final boss is shockingly easy, in fact easier than any other boss in this game. I thought it was kind of reward for getting to the final battle.
@Sonicron: Are you serious? Turbine is just a decoration and octobabies are easily killed with pretty much any weapon. FFS they are all one-shot kills!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
pepitko said:
Good review, based on the comments in the whole review, it should have gotten one-star instead of two, but whatever. Also, to be fair, this game was in development at Gearbox for what? 8 months? They took over the project in August 2010 and the game was ready to release in June 2011. This implies that they took something semi-finished and added bits and pieces to it, for it to be release-able as soon as possible, to cash in on any of the hype that was left over. Theoretically, if Gearbox or any other developer worked on this from start to finish, it might have been more worthwhile, since you know too many chefs quite appartently spoiled the broth.
Necromancer Jim said:
I can't say I expected much from this.

I want to know what warranted a second star, though.

Fuck, I can barely see what warranted the first.
A one-star game, in our system, is one that is quite literally unplayable [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean].

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
Somehow I knew this was going to get a terrible review. After a game has been in development hell this long, I barely see a chance of it being good.

Still not going to deter me from picking it up tomorrow, though I am sad that this isn't the Duke that I grew up with.
Well said, like minded good sir.
I don't know, maybe I'll actually like it. I guess I can't say that I'm dissapointed until I've bought and played it, which I shall do tomorrow. I am actually attempting to keep a negative view on it, so if it's good, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but if it's bad, then I won't be dissapointed.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Well as painful as that was, I can't say I'm surprised seeing as how many developers had their hands on it, at least that turd saw the light of day, sadly though...

So, I take it I should be playing Bulletstorm over this then?

HighPlainsSquinter

Dec 8, 2010
Doom972 said:
I don't get people complaining about he lack of maturity in this game. If you want a gritty brown shooter you have enough to choose from.
Ignoring for a moment that mature doesn't automatically equal "gritty brown," Duke's over-the-top nature alone shouldn't excuse it from being a mediocre game if that is indeed what it is, don't you think?

Besides, it's not like DNF is one of a kind in its tone. Shooters these days may be pushing for "realism," but there are still a few ridiculous, dumb fun ones out there too. Bulletstorm, anyone?

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
XD I could kind of tell that from the boring trailer that they started showing :/

It looked like a boring blow 'em up shooter.